PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] 1st level Beguiler feat

Burley
2010-11-09, 01:21 PM
I'm finally getting back in the proverbial gaming saddle with a level 3 (PHB) Gnome Beguiler. I'm going to end up focusing on being the trapmonkey with Int, Dex and Con being my three primary stats.
For character concept reasons, my level 3 feat is an Exotic Weapon Proficiency. At 6th level, I'm taking Mindbender 1 and the Mindsight feat. I'm stuck on what to choose for my first level feat, though.
I think Rapid Metamagic would be a good one, but I think it can wait until 9th, maybe.
Isn't there a feat that allows you to work your spells into normal conversation, or something?
I defer to the playground, yet again.

Escheton
2010-11-09, 01:36 PM
Check out Complete Scoundrel for skilltricks. It includes Conceal Spellcasting, which allows you to do just that. 1/encounter though.

Greenish
2010-11-09, 01:40 PM
Isn't there a feat that allows you to work your spells into normal conversation, or something?I think that's even mentioned as one of the normal uses for Sleight of Hand in one book or another.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-11-09, 02:20 PM
Versatile Spellcaster, in Races of the Dragon. It allows you to spend two 1st level spell slots to cast a 2nd level spell, and it stays useful at all levels. Plus with this and the Mindbender dip your Expanded Knowledge spells can be 2nd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 9th. (Ray of Stupidity, Shadow Form, Greater Shadow Conjuration, Greater Shadow Evocation, Superior Invisibility)

I'd take Weapon Finesse over EWP, but you probably won't be making any melee attacks anyway.

Burley
2010-11-09, 03:03 PM
The EWP is so my character can throw cards as though they were daggers. She's incredibly paranoid and doesn't want to take the risk of carrying weapons, in case people are on the look out for her.

gorfnab
2010-11-09, 03:08 PM
Versatile Spellcaster, in Races of the Dragon. It allows you to spend two 1st level spell slots to cast a 2nd level spell, and it stays useful at all levels. Plus with this and the Mindbender dip your Expanded Knowledge spells can be 2nd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 9th. (Ray of Stupidity, Shadow Form, Greater Shadow Conjuration, Greater Shadow Evocation, Superior Invisibility)

I'd take Weapon Finesse over EWP, but you probably won't be making any melee attacks anyway.
+1

Otherwise Shadow Weave Magic is a feat to consider if you're in Faerun. Also the New Beguiler's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=i2cam5lfihscajar0f2586rvp4&topic=2322.0) may have some other options.

Optimator
2010-11-09, 03:24 PM
I think that's even mentioned as one of the normal uses for Sleight of Hand in one book or another.

Races of Stone, I believe. RoS has a surprising amount of cool stuff in it.

d13
2010-11-09, 03:42 PM
The EWP is so my character can throw cards as though they were daggers. She's incredibly paranoid and doesn't want to take the risk of carrying weapons, in case people are on the look out for her.

Try asking your DM to refluff darts as cards, and not waste a feat on it.

It's not that it will be game breaking xD

Psyren
2010-11-09, 03:44 PM

+2

DO EET

Try asking your DM to refluff darts as cards, and not waste a feat on it.

It's not that it will be game breaking xD

Also this.
Although, cards are not obviously threatening (the king's guards are more likely to confiscate darts than the gambler's deck) so depending on setting they might be worth a feat. Or at least some mandatory ranks in Profession (Gambler.)

Greenish
2010-11-09, 03:54 PM
The EWP is so my character can throw cards as though they were daggers.Use Gnomish Throwing Cards, and swap the weapon familiarity with the hooked hammer to the former (as described in CWar). :smallcool:

Psyren
2010-11-09, 03:56 PM
Use Gnomish Throwing Cards, and swap the weapon familiarity with the hooked hammer to the former (as described in CWar). :smallcool:

Where are those from?

d13
2010-11-09, 04:03 PM
Where are those from?

If I'm not mistaken, they're just from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9730348&postcount=10) :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2010-11-09, 04:06 PM
If I'm not mistaken, they're just from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9730348&postcount=10) :smallbiggrin:

*eagerly follows link*

Son... I am disappoint.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-11-09, 04:47 PM
That link is all Google came up with, so I'm having my doubts as well.

Edit: See if you can sub out your racial weapon familiarity for it anyway, it would definitely be worth it.

Psyren
2010-11-09, 05:24 PM
That link is all Google came up with, so I'm having my doubts as well.

To be fair, google doesn't know what sourcebook Stonestorm Striker is in either.

(hint: it is first-party.)

nedz
2010-11-09, 05:49 PM
Spell Focus (Illusion) followed by Greater Spell Focus (Illusion)
Since your a Gnome thats +3 to your DCs

Escheton
2010-11-10, 04:38 AM
To killer gnome or not to killer gnome?
Because if you like the concept your featchoices are pretty obvious.