PDA

View Full Version : Where to go with a Steel Dragon DMPC?

ka_bna
2010-11-09, 01:50 PM
Friday I'll DM my next session. We're just entering Red Hand of Doom and since last game, a Steel Dragon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040328a) NPC/DMPC is traveling with the party.
The party (all 5th level) consists of:
A non-buffing melee cleric
A sorcerer
An druid with horse companion
An half-orc wizard
and a rogue.

Now, I've discussed with the druid player before. He said he wanted a dragon as a pet. I agreed with this, though I did mention it was more likely the dragon would have him as a pet (he concurred). So I told him to take the leadership feat in the future at 6th level (or a similar feat), and then he could have the dragon.

Last session the party adopted a steel dragon wyrmling (CR2). The steel dragon has not yet contributed to combat yet (as it has been only a few hours/days old), but I am willing to have it contribute it a little to the game/combat.

Therefore I am asking you for advice: how would you build and advance this steel dragon?
Underlying thoughts:
- the dragon must not be overpowered nor underpowered, useable for casual gaming.
- I'd prefer core only
- Budget: 100 gp (gold given to him by the players) up to 5000 gp (mysterious stranger offering to sponsor him?)
- I'd prefer not a melee role, as I suspect there may be casualties in RHoD, and I'd like to keep the weaker-than-PC-baby-dragon alive.

Would you advance the HD of the dragon, or would you give him class levels in what and how many? Upping the age category of the dragon is not an option, as he's been only a few days old (cf. Draconomicon, though I don't use material of it in-game)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Kyouhen
2010-11-09, 01:59 PM
What do they want to do with the dragon? Do they expect it to help out in combat? You could just have it fly around, staying away from anything that could kill it and have it use it's breath weapon once in a while. It is a dragon after all, and as such is probably smart enough to know how to keep itself alive. Maybe let the players buy it a bit of gear or something, but for the most part I probably wouldn't worry about advancing it.

blackjack217
2010-11-09, 02:06 PM
sorcerer stacks with natural casting. A hd advancement in dragon usually requires aging which ain't gonna happen outside of a dues ex machina

Dralnu
2010-11-09, 02:18 PM
As a wyrmling he has impressive stats but is likely smart enough to know that if he wants to survive, he'll stay in the back. As others suggested, he should fly around and try to stay out of danger, probably help with his breath weapon and spells now and then.

I doubt your players would want the dragon getting a slice of their XP gained so he probably shouldn't advance. If he does though, sorcerer is an obvious choice.

Kyouhen
2010-11-09, 02:25 PM
The other thing is that if he buzzes around breathing on people once in a while he isn't stealing the spotlight from the players. Last thing you want is for the players to get tired of the dragon stealing all their kills.