PDA

View Full Version : Ranger/Barbarian/Druid? [3.5 Base Class]

Admiral Squish
2010-11-09, 02:41 PM
I've always like a sort of bestial warrior-type character, and I've played a weird amalgamation of house rules and ACFs to try to accomplish what I wanted a few times. Mooseman123 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174785) recently made a class combining druid, ranger, and barbarian. While his heart was in the right place, I decided that it wasn't quite what I was looking for and, stealing some cues from him, I've come up with the class you see here. I hope you enjoy it!

Totem Fury

Class Skills
The Totem Fury's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(4 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
4 + Int modifier.

Hit Dice: d8
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+1|+2|+2|+0|Animal Companion, Shapeshift (predator)
2|+2|+3|+3|+0|Rage 1/Day, Track
3|+3|+3|+3|+1|Wild Fang +1
4|+4|+4|+4|+1|Trackless Step
5|+5|+4|+4|+1|Shapeshift (Aerial), Rage 2/Day
6|+6|+5|+5|+2|Wild Fang +2
7|+7|+5|+5|+2| DR 1/-, Woodland Stride
8|+8|+6|+6|+2|Shapeshift (Ferocious Slayer)
9|+9|+6|+6|+3|Rage 3/Day, Wild Fang +3
10|+10|+7|+7|+3|DR 2/-, Evasion
11|+11|+7|+7|+3| Greater Rage
12|+12|+8|+8|+4|Shapeshift (Forest Avenger), Wild Fang +4
13|+13|+8|+8|+4|DR 3/-, Rage 4/Day
14|+14|+9|+9|+4|Chamoflage
15|+15|+9|+9|+5|Wild Fang +5
16|+16|+10|+10|+5|DR 4/-, Shapeshift (Elemental Fury)
17|+17|+10|+10|+5|Rage 5/Day, Tireless Rage
18|+18|+11|+11|+6|Hide in Plain Sight, Wild Fang +6
19|+19|+11|+11|+6|DR 5/-
20|+20|+12|+12|+6|Mighty Rage, Rage 6/Day[/Table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies:
A totem fury is proficient with all simple weapons, as well as light and medium armor.

Animal Companion (Ex):
A totem fury may begin play with an animal companion selected from the following list: badger, camel, dire rat, dog, riding dog, eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), owl, pony, snake (Small or Medium viper), or wolf. If the campaign takes place wholly or partly in an aquatic environment, the following creatures are also available: porpoise, Medium shark, and squid. This animal is a loyal companion that accompanies the totem fury on her adventures as appropriate for its kind.

This ability functions like the druid ability of the same name. A totem fury may select from the alternative lists of animal companions just as a druid can. Like a druid, a totem fury cannot select an alternative animal if the choice would reduce his effective druid level below 1st.

Shapeshift (Su):
A totem fury can shapeshift at will into powerful animal or nature-oriented forms. Each time you use this ability, you can choose the exact look your shapeshifted form takes. Totem furies pick animals from the terrain and climate they're most familiar with. For example, a totem fury from the jungle may adopt the form of a panther while in predator form, while a totem fury from the taiga might shapeshift into a white wolf. The two forms look different, but functionally, they're identical. This is a supernatural ability.
It requires only a swift action to shapeshift. If you are capable of taking more than one form, you can shapeshift directly between the two forms without returning to your normal form. there's no limit to the number of times per day you can change forms nor the amount of time you can spend in a shapeshifted form.
You retain your normal Hit Dice, hit points, base attack bonuses, base saving throw bonuses and skill ranks regardless of your form. You also retain your normal ability scores, though each form grants a bonus to your strength score.
You keep all extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities of your normal form, except those requiring a body part your new form does not have.
All your held, carried, or worn gear melds into your new form and becomes nonfunctional until you return to your normal form (Unless it would normally change with you when you use wildshape, such as with beaskskin armor or items with wildling clasps affixed). You cannot speak in shapeshifted form, and your limbs lack the precision to wield a weapon or perform tasks requiring fine manipulation. You can't cast spells or activate magic items while in shapeshifted form, even if you have the natural spell feat or other ability that would allow you to cast spells while wild shaped.
Unless otherwise noted in the descriptions below, you retain your size and space when you adopt a new form. You always retain your type and subtypes, regardless of the nature of the form assumed. You don't gain any special attacks or qualities while shapeshifted except as described below.
When you shapeshift into a form other than your own, you gain natural weapons (and reach whith those weapons) as described below. The damage dice given are for medium totem furies. Smaller and larger totem furies should adjust those values accordingly.
If knocked unconscious or slain in shapeshifted form, you revert to your natural form.

Predator Form (Su):
This form, traditionally that of a wolf, panther, or other predatory mammal, is the first form a totem fury learns.
while in predator form, a totem fury gains a primary bite attack that deals 1d6 points of damage. You have the reach of a long creature of your size. You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to strength, and your natural armor bonus improves by 4. Your base land speed becomes 50 feet.
At fouth level, you gain Mobility as a bonus feat while in predator form, even if you don't meet the prerequisites.

Rage (Ex):
A totem fury can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day. In a rage, a totem fury temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase in Constitution increases the totem fury's hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when his Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.) While raging, a totem fury cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A totem fury may prematurely end his rage. At the end of the rage, the totem fury loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength, -2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 17th-level totem fury, at which point this limitation no longer applies).

A totem fury can fly into a rage only once per encounter. At 1st level he can use his rage ability once per day. At 4th level and every four levels thereafter, he can use it one additional time per day (to a maximum of six times per day at 20th level). Entering a rage takes no time itself, but a totem fury can do it only during his action, not in response to someone else’s action.

Track:
A totem fury gains track as a bonus feat.

Wild Fang (Su):
at 3rd level, while shapeshifted, a totem fury attacking with his natural weapons gains an enhancement bonus equal to 1/3 his totem fury level on attack and damage rolls. His natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Trackless Step (Ex):
Starting at 4th level, a totem fury leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. She may choose to leave a trail if so desired.

Aerial Form (Su):
At 5th level, a totem fury can shapeshift into a flying creature. Traditionally resembling an eagle, vulture, or bat, the aerial form allows for fast travel and the ability to soar out of harm's way.
While in aerial form, you gain a primary talon attack that deals 1d6 points of damage. You have the reach of a long creature of your size. You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to strength and reflex saves, and your natural armor onus improves by 2. You gain a fly speed of 40 feet (Good maneuverability).
At 7th level, you gain flyby attack as a bonus feat whenever you're in aerial form.

Damage Reduction (Ex):
At 7th level, a totem fury gains Damage Reduction. Subtract 1 from the damage the totem fury takes each time he is dealt damage from a weapon or a natural attack. At 10th level, and every three totem fury levels thereafter (13th, 16th, and 19th level), this damage reduction rises by 1 point. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.

Woodland Stride (Ex):
Starting at 7th level, a totem fury may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment.

However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that are enchanted or magically manipulated to impede motion still affect him.

Ferocious Slayer Form (Su)
At 8th Level, a totem fury can shapeshift into a large and fierce predatory form, such as a tiger, bear, or dire wolf.
While in ferocious slayer form, you gain a primary bite attack that deals 1d8 points of damage, and two primary claw attacks that deal 1d6 points of damage. Your size increases by one category, and you have the reach of a long creature of your size. You gain a +8 enhancement bonus to strength and a +4 enhancement bonus to fortitude saves. your natural armor bonus improves by 8, and your base land speed becomes 40 feet.
At 10th level, you gain Improved Critical (Bite) and Improved Critical (Claw) while in ferocious slayer form.

Evasion (Ex):
At 10th level, a totem fury can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the totem fury is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless totem fury does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Greater Rage (Ex):
At 11th level, a totem fury's bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his rage each increase to +6, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +3. The penalty to AC remains at -2.

Forest Avenger Form (Su):
At 12 level, a totem fury can take the form of a massive plantlike creature, similar to a shambling mound or treant.
While in forest avenger form, you gain a pair of primary slam attacks that deal 1d8 points of damage. Your size increases by one category, and you have the reach of a tall creature of your size. You gain a +12 enhancement bonus to strength and a +4 enhancement bonus to fortitude and will saves. your natural armor bonus improves by 12, and your base land speed becomes 20.
At 14th level, you gain Improved Overrun as a bonus feat while in forest avenger form, even if you don't meet the prerequisites.

Camouflage (Ex):
A totem fury of 13th level or higher can use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even if the terrain doesn’t grant cover or concealment.

Elemental Fury Form (Su):
At 16th level, a totem fury can shapeshift into a giant form of earth, air, fire, or water. (Your choice each time you shapeshift)
While in elemental fury form, you gain a pair of primary slam attacks that deal 2d6 points of damage each. Your size increases by two categories and you have the reach of a tall creature of your size. You gain a +16 enhancement bonus to strength, and a +4 enhancement bonus to fortitude, reflex, and will saves, and your natural armor bonus improves by 16. You do not gain any new movement modes in elemental fury form and your base land speed doesn't change.
You gain immunity to extra damage from critical hits while in elemental fury form. You also gain immunity to an energy type related to the element chosen (Air = Electricity, Earth = Acid, Fire = Fire, Water = Cold). You don't need to breathe while in elemental fury form.
At 18th level, you gain Great Cleave as a bonus feat while in elemental fury form, even if you don't meet the prerequisites.

Tireless Rage (Ex):
At 17th level and higher, a totem fury no longer becomes fatigued at the end of his rage.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex):
While in any sort of natural terrain, a totem fury of 17th level or higher can use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Mighty Rage (Ex):
At 20th level, a totem fury’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his rage each increase to +8, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +4. The penalty to AC remains at -2.

Admiral Squish
2010-11-10, 02:03 AM
Come on, nobody has any feedback on this? I mean, I know it's not exactly the most unique creation to come out of me, but still. Can someone at least tell me if I've over-loaded the class?

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-10, 11:09 AM
To be honest, the only thing that struck me about it, aside from the fact that it resembled the 4e Druid, was that predators don't usually have tough hides. Bears and Orca, maybe, but wolves, panthers and what not don't really warrant natural armour so much as vicious speed.

I'll give it a more thorough read through later when i've got less eyestrain to compete with.

Admiral Squish
2010-11-10, 02:39 PM
To be honest, the only thing that struck me about it, aside from the fact that it resembled the 4e Druid, was that predators don't usually have tough hides. Bears and Orca, maybe, but wolves, panthers and what not don't really warrant natural armour so much as vicious speed.

I'll give it a more thorough read through later when i've got less eyestrain to compete with.

Well, I basically stole it wholesale from the shapeshift variant.

One thing I'm REALLY worried about is ridiculous strength. In combat, you would most likely be in the strongest form available to you. It's an enhancement bonus to strength, though, so it wouldn't stack with items, but it does stack with any racial bonus and the bonuses from rage. A 2nd level character could get +8 strength just by using predator and rage. At 12, you'd be getting +18 with forest avenger and greater rage.

Moose Man
2010-11-10, 03:43 PM
i just did this. i like yrs better

Admiral Squish
2010-11-10, 03:56 PM
i just did this. i like yrs better
I know, I credited you at the top, just to make sure it was known you did it first.

blackjack217
2010-11-10, 04:02 PM
Well, I basically stole it wholesale from the shapeshift variant.

One thing I'm REALLY worried about is ridiculous strength. In combat, you would most likely be in the strongest form available to you. It's an enhancement bonus to strength, though, so it wouldn't stack with items, but it does stack with any racial bonus and the bonuses from rage. A 2nd level character could get +8 strength just by using predator and rage. At 12, you'd be getting +18 with forest avenger and greater rage.

you lose access to weapons and gear which is a good balancing factor, unless they take VOP. Did I just find a use for VOP? I did didn't I? :smalleek:

Admiral Squish
2010-11-10, 04:05 PM
you lose access to weapons and gear which is a good balancing factor, unless they take VOP. Did I just find a use for VOP? I did didn't I? :smalleek:
Wildling Clasps still work. I should prolly mention that. Though, you can't ACTIVATE anything while shapeshifted, so it'd either have to be a constant effect, you could activate it then shift, or you could shift back to activate it. Though you might run into troubles with the latter strategy while a-raging.

EDIT: There, added a clause in shapeshift to allow for some loopholes to the no-gear.

Moose Man
2010-11-10, 07:06 PM
I know, I credited you at the top, just to make sure it was known you did it first.
coolio. i like that spellcasting isn't an option.

blackjack217
2010-11-10, 07:27 PM
Just noticed you do not have weapon and armor proficiencies.

Moose Man
2010-11-10, 07:32 PM
that is a carryover from mine own heart. y wear armor when u can shift at will???

Admiral Squish
2010-11-10, 07:54 PM
Just noticed you do not have weapon and armor proficiencies.

Fixed that. I'm gonna keep it simple in terms of weapons, but you get light and medium armor.

WarHunter
2015-11-25, 03:51 AM
I want to try this some day:smallsmile: