PDA

View Full Version : Would size tiny be enough to grant a level adjustment?

akma
2010-11-09, 04:50 PM
Since size tiny gives +2 to attack and AC and +8 to hide checks, it would be very good for min-maxing.

Tengu_temp
2010-11-09, 04:54 PM
It also should come with a -4 strength penalty and +4 dexterity bonus by default.

It's not worth LA on its own, but if you put it on top of an already strong LA 0 race, something like a human or dwarf, then I guess it'd be worth LA +1. Abnormal sizes are almost always beneficial since most of the time they're picked by characters who don't care about their penalties.

Scarey Nerd
2010-11-09, 05:04 PM
Jermlaine are Tiny, 40ft movement speed and LA +0. I think Tiny has more disadvantages than advantages, such as the fact that they can't flank, to attack in melee they have to be in the opponent's square, etc.

Eldan
2010-11-09, 05:14 PM
Also, they can barely lift anything. For some stupid reason, the weight of objects scales differently from the carrying capacity, so a tiny or smaller creature can barely carry more than a weapon.

KingMerv00
2010-11-09, 05:17 PM
No. They'll be dead at the first grapple check.

herrhauptmann
Also, they can barely lift anything. For some stupid reason, the weight of objects scales differently from the carrying capacity, so a tiny or smaller creature can barely carry more than a weapon.

Yeah, but when was the last time you saw a fairy or pixie in a book/movie/cartoon carry much more than a tiny weapon and some pixie dust?

How about the Brownies in Willow? Greatest thieves in the world, but takes two of them to carry an egg they stole

Yuki Akuma
Jermlaine are Tiny, 40ft movement speed and LA +0. I think Tiny has more disadvantages than advantages, such as the fact that they can't flank, to attack in melee they have to be in the opponent's square, etc.

So it's a penalty to all the bad classes and not the good ones?

Tael
2010-11-09, 05:19 PM
It would be decent for a caster, but I think I'd probably still pick human or Sun Elf (any other + Int race) over it.

Scarey Nerd
2010-11-09, 05:19 PM
So it's a penalty to all the bad classes and not the good ones?

An excellent point, though I would dispute that some melee classes are pretty effective, although of course casters are generally superior in power. However, picture a Tiny Wizard that can't carry his spell book or compnent pouch.

WarKitty
2010-11-09, 05:21 PM
The equipment limit gets really annoying really fast, unless you can get someone or something else to carry your stuff. Which admittedly is not hard.

ericgrau
2010-11-09, 05:33 PM
There are ways around the drawbacks. I mean you could grab a ranged weapon and bam suddenly you have +4 to hit. Now be a rogue and your damage is taken care of. Oh and the bonuses to hide and other dex skills don't hurt either. So ya, +4 to hit, stacks with everything, that's redonkulous at LA +0. Heck at low levels even a ray-caster would have to think twice about eating LA +1 for that.

awa
2010-11-09, 05:35 PM
many pieces of gear get reduced weight when designed for a small creature.
for a wizard just get improved familiar and have it carry your gear

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-09, 05:44 PM
Effectively tiny size (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) isn't worth any LA on a Kobold, according to Wizards.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-09, 05:44 PM
They don't get the bonus to AC or attack rolls.

Coidzor
2010-11-09, 07:31 PM
How much would gear for a Tiny creature weigh, anyway? We know it's 1/4 of Medium creatures' gear for Small creatures. And armor weight figures are provided in a table. Weapons can be extrapolated from doubling from Medium to Large and halving from Medium to Small, but aren't stated AFAIK.

ericgrau
2010-11-09, 07:35 PM
Carrying capacity actually goes up on smaller creatures because the weight of your gear decreases faster than how much you can carry.

RndmNumGen
2010-11-09, 07:39 PM
Carrying capacity actually goes up on smaller creatures because the weight of your gear decreases faster than how much you can carry.

As it should be. There is a reason why ants, spiders and insects can carry much more than their weight.

JaronK
2010-11-09, 07:49 PM
Except only some gear decreases in weight, and when you factor in the strength penalty tiny creatures have serious trouble carrying very much at all. Still, there are advantages... casters don't need much gear but can absolutely use the dex boost, AC, and ranged to hit bonus. Confound the Big Folk and Underfoot Combat are both amazing on Tiny creatures who specialize in killing flat footed targets. There's definitely lots of options that make good use of that size. But remember, you could already permanently become Tiny with the use of two spells (Reduce Person + Permanency) so it's not a huge deal.

JaronK

Koury
2010-11-09, 07:55 PM
I've got a Jermlaine Rogue/Fgt/Swordsage in a campaign I'm running. His to-hit is through the roof, AC is pretty good (will be damn good next level when his Wis to AC kicks in) but his damage is almost non-existant unless he's sneak attacking.

He got over the attack range thing with Abberent Blood + Inhuman Reach. Hes got the Quick trait too. Overall a funny, pretty interesting character. Does not need any LA for me to feel like hes balanced.