PDA

View Full Version : What's in your hand? I have it. Now it's diamonds! [3.5 Epic PrC, PEACH]

Magicyop
2010-11-09, 04:58 PM
Impossible Burglar

"I'm sorry, you wanted me to steal the king's crown right off his head? Look in your left pocket. No, no need to pay me, I already took all of your money. Have a nice day."

--Samuel Quickhand, an Impossible Burglar

The fine practice of stealing things from other people has been around since about five minutes after the concept of personal property was established. There are cutpurses, their are pickpockets, there are thugs who roam the streets and take valuables through violence. But all of these are surpassed by the true masters of the art: impossible burglars. These thieves are masters of taking things from others, surpassed by none, they take the process seriously, and treat it as a form of art. While a normal thief may be cause for alarm, an impossible burglar is cause for the highest security protocols to be put into effect. A clever thief may be able to break into a vault, unlock a safe, and steal an enormous diamond: but the impossible burglar can do the same thing from a mile away in just seconds, and leave a clever fake in its place to boot.

Making an Impossible Burglar
Impossible Burglar is an interesting and powerful class which is nonetheless not combat focused. But for those who love stealth, this class is perfect.
Abilities: Dexterity and Intelligence are most important to an impossible burglar.
Alignment: Impossible Burglars are by and large chaotic, but it's not impossible for there to be a lawful impossible burglar. Such a character would likely be some sort of vigilante.

Requirements
Character Level: 20+
Feats: Quick Draw
Abilities: 14+ Dexterity
Skills: Sleight of Hand 23 ranks, Hide 17 ranks, Move Silently 17 ranks.

Class Features

Hit Die: d6

Class Skills: The Impossible Burglar's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise(INT), Balance(DEX), Bluff(CHA), Diplomacy(CHA), Disable Device(DEX), Disguise(CHA), Escape Artist(DEX), Forgery(INT), Gather Information(CHA), Hide(DEX), Jump(STR), Listen(WIS), Move Silently(DEX), Open Lock(DEX), Search(INT), Sense Motive(WIS), Sleight of Hand(DEX), Spot(WIS), Tumble(DEX), Use Magic Device(CHA), and Use Rope(DEX).
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int Modifier

Impossible Burglar
{table=head]Level|Special

1st|Impossible Heist, Swift Fingers

2nd|Thief Trick, Can't Be Found

3rd|Out Of A Locked Box

4th|Thief Trick

5th|Mystic Grasp

6th|Thief Trick

7th|But You Don't Have Any Sword

8th|Thief Trick

9th|Purloin Twice

10th|Inconceivable Theft, Thief Trick[/table]

Impossible Heist(ex): You are able to steal things at a great range with ease without even blinking an eyelid. You may use Sleight of Hand at a range. This range is 10 ft. per class level, plus another 10 ft. per point of your Dexterity modifier. You must have line of effect to this object to steal it, although you may bend this slightly. (For example, if you are trying to steal someone's wallet, and they have it in the pocket which is on the other side of their body from you, you would be able to steal it, but you couldn't steal the wallet if a wall was in the way.) In addition, you are now able to use Sleight of Hand to steal objects that you really shouldn't be able to. Normally you can only steal objects one size category smaller than you, but you may steal objects of any size, though each size category larger than you could normally take imposes a -5 modifier to your Sleight of Hand check.

Swift Fingers: You gain a +1 bonus to Sleight of Hand checks for every class level you take in impossible burglar. Additionally, the penalty for using Sleight of Hand as a free action is only -10. Finally, when using a Sleight of Hand check, you don't appear to be doing anything special, and it requires an opposed Spot check to tell what you're doing.

Thief Trick: At every even numbered class level you may select one of the thief tricks below. These may not be taken more than once unless otherwise specified.

Instant Counterfeit: When you steal an object, you may choose to instantly replace it with a Counterfeit. It requires a Spot check to beat your Sleight of Hand check to tell the object is not real. If you wish, you may choose to make the Counterfeit so that it falls to dust after a certain period of time. After you steal any object, or after a counterfeit falls apart, you may choose to have a special token appear in its place, a small signature of sorts. (A feather, a note, a small lens, an insignia, are all acceptable tokens.)
Transference: You may use Sleight of Hand to place an object on someone or somewhere instead of stealing it. Also, when you have stolen an object, you may choose to have it appear on someone else's personage instead of yours if they are within 1/2 your Sleight of Hand range, though they can make a Wisdom check opposed by your Dexterity check to notice the object appearing there.
Empty Container: You may choose to steal multiple small objects. For example, you could take the contents of a coin-purse, or instantly empty a treasure chest.
Knowing the Quarry: You instantly sense the location of any objects of value, or other objects described to you in detail, within the range of your Sleight of Hand. You can make appraise checks against any object you know about within your Sleight of Hand range.
Bite of the Viper: You may use a Sleight of Hand check to deal 1 damage per 5 of the result of your Sleight of Hand check, to an object or creature. This means that you may use your Impossible Heist ability and all related abilities to deal damage to targets very far away. This damage bypasses all hardness and damage reduction. You may only use this ability once per round.
Undetectable: You gain the Hide in Plain Sight ability. Additionally, targets trying to see you or hear you through Spot or Listen take a -5 on the check, and those trying to see you committing theft also take a -5 on their spot check.
Faster than the Eye: You may now use Sleight of Hand as a free action without penalty.
Piercing Theft: For the purposes of Out of a Locked Box and Mystic Grasp, the hardness of all objects is halved, and level of all spells is at -2.
Discern Faults: You also add your Wisdom modifier when determining the range of your Sleight of Hand. In other words, you gain +10 ft. to the range per point of your Wisdom modifier, though this does not take away the bonus you receive from your Dexterity modifier. If the area around the object you are trying to steal is described to you perfectly, you gain a +5 bonus on your Sleight of Hand check.
Infiltration: You may transport to a point that you could steal from using Sleight of Hand. While you may do this at will, it is relatively difficult. It takes 3 rounds of concentration, at which point you transport to some point which you could have used Impossible Heist to steal from. If you have Mystic Grasp, then it even allows you to pierce effects which would otherwise prevent your transportation. At the place where you are before transporting, you appear to crumble into a fine ash which is instantly seared away when it touches the ground. You may not do this if you would be prevented from using Sleight of Hand.
Kidnapping: You may choose to use Sleight of Hand to instead transport a person or living creature to your position. However, the creature appears in an adjacent square, and you take a -10 penalty on your Sleight of Hand check. Additionally, the penalty for stealing large creatures is -10 per size category instead of -5.

Can't Be Found: This ability renders you immune to all non-epic divination attempts to discover information about you. Epic spells or deity powers may still discover your location and/or information.

At level 10, even godly powers and epic spells fail to discover information about you or view you.

Out of a Locked Box: You may steal from a range even without line of effect. For every object you must pass through, though, your range is limited. A solid object takes up as many feet of your Impossible Heist as it has hardness, per each foot. (For example, a two foot adamantine wall would take up 40 feet of impossible heist.) This is cumulative for each object you must pass through to steal the object. If passing through all the objects leaves you with no range left, and you haven't reached the desired object, you will need to move closer or remove an obstacle to steal it.

Mystic Grasp: You may use Sleight of Hand even through magical effects which would prevent it. When using Impossible Heist to steal or perform other actions from a range, you may bypass any spell or power which would prevent your normal movement. However, this uses up 10 feet of your range per spell level you must pass through. (So a Wall of Force would take 50 feet to steal through) If you have Infiltration, you may use this to teleport past even spells that prevent teleportation.

But You Don't Have Any Sword: You may steal your foe's weapons from their hands just as they're about to hit you. Once per round you may make a Sleight of Hand check as an immediate action. This is quick enough to remove someone's weapon before they attack you, or other tool before they get the chance to use it. In the case of a melee attacker, they will still hit, but with their fist instead(as an unarmed attack) but in the case of a ranged attack, they are unable to make the attack.

Purloin Twice: Any time you would make a Sleight of Hand check, you may instead do it against two different objects. For example, you could take the swords of two different enemies, steal a crown from the king and simultaneously a wallet from someone sitting next to you, and things of that nature.

Inconceivable Theft: Once per week, you may perform a truly amazing feat of thievery. Your range for Impossible Heist is tripled, you gain a +10 bonus on your Sleight of Hand check, and you instantly are subject to a Gate spell leading anywhere you wish (to escape the consequences of your theft) although others may not pass through the Gate. You appear to vanish in a cloud of sulfurous smoke or, at your decision, simply cease to be where you were a moment ago. Any attempts to locate the stolen object through divination simply fail, the only way to track it down is to physically discover that you have it and your location, or to discover information about you and try to find more about where you are.

So, please tell me what you think! I think this is a fun prestige class for epic stealthy characters, as it allows you to be a consummate master thief. Some of you may be wondering, "How does the Impossible Burglar steal such things at a range, and pass through barriers and magic?" Well, that's a never shared Impossible Burglar secret. If you share it, other Impossible Burglars will steal your life. At a range.

Hyooz
2010-11-09, 05:03 PM
Thievery IS a word, though.

Magicyop
2010-11-09, 05:04 PM
Thievery IS a word, though.

Yet Thiefery is still more cool. :smalltongue:

The Antigamer
2010-11-09, 05:16 PM
I like it! I don't understand the point of "Bite of the Viper" though.

jiriku
2010-11-09, 05:16 PM
Means of thwarting divination would be useful, as a notorious epic thief is likely to be the subject of intense magical investigation if powerful people find their possessions going missing while he's...anywhere within a hundred miles.

Magicyop
2010-11-09, 05:17 PM
I like it! I don't understand the point of "Bite of the Viper" though.

You get to hurt people while there's no way for them to get to you. Ranged attack through walls, through magic, while you're hiding somewhere sipping tea. Not much damage per round, sure, but when they can't do anything to stop you...

Do you think I should increase the damage?

Means of thwarting divination would be useful, as a notorious epic thief is likely to be the subject of intense magical investigation if powerful people find their possessions going missing while he's...anywhere within a hundred miles.

This would probably be a good idea. Should I add it as a Thief Trick or a straight class ability that everyone gets?

Dust
2010-11-09, 05:18 PM
I was secretly hoping for a joke class that was ACTUALLY Old Spice Guy, but this is good too.

Magicyop
2010-11-09, 05:21 PM
I was secretly hoping for a joke class that was ACTUALLY Old Spice Guy, but this is good too.

Sorry for fooling you. :smalltongue: I'm not even sure how one would go about making a class like that, but it'd be cool.

The Antigamer
2010-11-09, 05:43 PM
You get to hurt people while there's no way for them to get to you. Ranged attack through walls, through magic, while you're hiding somewhere sipping tea. Not much damage per round, sure, but when they can't do anything to stop you...

Do you think I should increase the damage?

This would probably be a good idea. Should I add it as a Thief Trick or a straight class ability that everyone gets?

2 damage doesn't even get pass the DR of any creature an epic-level character would be facing. It's kind of useless. Maybe if sneak attack damage applied?

I would add it as a straight class ability.

Magicyop
2010-11-09, 05:47 PM
2 damage doesn't even get pass the DR of any creature an epic-level character would be facing. It's kind of useless. Maybe if sneak attack damage applied?

I would add it as a straight class ability.

I intended it to bypass DR and the like. It's not typed damage, it's just... damage. Their AC doesn't count, their DR doesn't count, they just start taking damage. I could increase said damage, though.

Okay, I'll add it at level 2.

The Antigamer
2010-11-09, 06:06 PM
I intended it to bypass DR and the like. It's not typed damage, it's just... damage. Their AC doesn't count, their DR doesn't count, they just start taking damage. I could increase said damage, though.

Okay, I'll add it at level 2.

Well, right now it's either a useless ability, or endless damage, depending on how you use it. "Additionally, the penalty for using Sleight of Hand as a free action is only -10" means that they can just bite of the viper as a free action, most likely auto-succeeding, until infinity damage is dealt, by RAW.

Magicyop
2010-11-09, 06:08 PM
Well, right now it's either a useless ability, or endless damage, depending on how you use it. "Additionally, the penalty for using Sleight of Hand as a free action is only -10" means that they can just bite of the viper as a free action, most likely auto-succeeding, until infinity damage is dealt, by RAW.

I could note that they can only use it once per round. Thank you.

Benly
2010-11-09, 06:11 PM
I would suggest letting the damage from Bite Of The Viper scale to the Sleight of Hand check. In my limited experience, open-ended abilities seem to be the order of the day in epic and the Impossible Burglar seems kind of short on them in general.

The Antigamer
2010-11-09, 06:31 PM
I would suggest letting the damage from Bite Of The Viper scale to the Sleight of Hand check. In my limited experience, open-ended abilities seem to be the order of the day in epic and the Impossible Burglar seems kind of short on them in general.
I agree, Epic Prestige class abilities need to be epic.

Morph Bark
2010-11-09, 07:40 PM
With But You Don't Have Any Sword, could an enemy with another available weapon in the other hand, or Quick Draw and a sheathed weapon, use that to attack rather than the unarmed strike?

Also, what's the DC to do that (which is basically disarming actually :smallconfused:)?

Magicyop
2010-11-09, 08:59 PM
With But You Don't Have Any Sword, could an enemy with another available weapon in the other hand, or Quick Draw and a sheathed weapon, use that to attack rather than the unarmed strike?

Also, what's the DC to do that (which is basically disarming actually :smallconfused:)?

There isn't, really. It would be the same DC as lifting an item from someone's person as per a normal use of Sleight of Hand. And no, they couldn't use Quick Draw, since it's not an immediate action, but they could attack with a weapon they are already wielding in the other hand.

I'll make Bite of the Viper scale, thank you. :smallsmile:

Benly
2010-11-09, 10:08 PM
Another thing that might be nice for scaling would be to let the PC increase the range of Impossible Heist at the cost of a scaling DC increase to the relevant Sleight of Hand check. This would inherit benefits down to pretty much all the other abilities and grant them at least some form of open-ended scaling.

LtPowers
2010-11-09, 10:12 PM
It looks a little front-loaded to me. Just about any 21st-level thief could take one level of this prestige class and start pickpocketing people across the tavern with virtual impunity. I'd consider tying the range of Impossible Heist to Impossible
Burglar level instead of Dex mod, just as a start, as well as delaying some of the benefits of Swift Fingers.

I also agree that there doesn't seem to be much of a point to continuing the class past level 11; epic PrC abilities should be more open-ended.

Powers &8^]

Morph Bark
2010-11-10, 03:47 AM
There isn't, really. It would be the same DC as lifting an item from someone's person as per a normal use of Sleight of Hand. And no, they couldn't use Quick Draw, since it's not an immediate action, but they could attack with a weapon they are already wielding in the other hand.

Even if Quick Draw was an immediate action, they couldn't use it since immediate actions are for when it is not your turn. Plus, free actions are faster than immediate actions, not slower, so that explanation doesn't make sense.

Lix Lorn
2010-11-10, 07:18 AM
I love it. XD

Magicyop
2010-11-10, 09:19 AM
Another thing that might be nice for scaling would be to let the PC increase the range of Impossible Heist at the cost of a scaling DC increase to the relevant Sleight of Hand check. This would inherit benefits down to pretty much all the other abilities and grant them at least some form of open-ended scaling.

That's a good idea. I'll give that at 4th level.

It looks a little front-loaded to me. Just about any 21st-level thief could take one level of this prestige class and start pickpocketing people across the tavern with virtual impunity. I'd consider tying the range of Impossible Heist to Impossible
Burglar level instead of Dex mod, just as a start, as well as delaying some of the benefits of Swift Fingers.

I also agree that there doesn't seem to be much of a point to continuing the class past level 11; epic PrC abilities should be more open-ended.

Powers &8^]

Well, continuing it, you get +10 ft. of range every level, and a new Thief Trick every two levels, which you only run out of at about level 42. It IS already tied to Impossible Burglar level, but I guess you mean that someone with a lot of dexterity starts out with a massive range. Well, to be honest, any epic level thief who is still relying on pickpocketing doesn't really deserve to take this class. But perhaps it is a little bit front-loaded. I could change the Dex Modifier bonus into a Thief Trick, and instead add the ability that Benly suggested to increase the range.

Even if Quick Draw was an immediate action, they couldn't use it since immediate actions are for when it is not your turn. Plus, free actions are faster than immediate actions, not slower, so that explanation doesn't make sense.

Well, but the idea is that an immediate action is happening right now. You make an attack, and, mid swing, I take an immediate action to do something to stop you. A free action may be faster in a typical sense, but your sword arm has already begun its trajectory down when your blade got snatched. You were right in the middle of the attack. For practical purposes, I took a really quick turn really suddenly. I guess it's up to the DM. If it were me, I'd only allow an immediate action to work-- since Immediate Actions typically interrupt someone else's action, but free actions are just quick actions you take on your turn.

Tacitus
2010-11-11, 01:52 AM
I might suggest tricks that build off of previous tricks (maybe include larger range increases as tiered tricks), a trick that maybe gives you free Skill Tricks or extra uses of Skill Tricks per encounter, and a repeatable trick that just give a bonus feat.

Doesn't really need the character level requirement if you have the skill requirement.

Admiral Squish
2010-11-11, 02:19 AM
I hope you're happy with yourself. NOW I have to go make a Man Your Man Could Smell Like class of some sort.

Lix Lorn
2010-11-14, 03:45 PM
(previous post quote so I can not double)

I hope you're happy with yourself. NOW I have to go make a Man Your Man Could Smell Like class of some sort.
I love you so much. XD

But not as much as a Lillend totem barbarian would make me.
Can you use Bite of the Viper with Sneak Attack?