PDA

View Full Version : Is this an acceptable damage output by ECL 3?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-09, 07:48 PM
With a gish I recently started to play I am dealing ~10 points of damage on a standar action attack, 12 on a charge and 24 on a battle jump charge.

My question is, is this a reasonably good damage output for a Dragonborn Fire Hobgoblin Mystic Ranger 1/Wizard 1 with intentions to become a full-fledged gish?

My weapon of choice is a re-fluffed spiked chain in case it matters

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-11-09, 08:40 PM
It depends on party composition, among other things. In an unoptimized setting, the benchmark is probably a raging Barbarian with base 18 strength, a greatsword, and nothing else of note (except extra rage so we can assume rage is on). 2d6+9 is better than your normal attack but worse than your battle jump, so it's a toss up depending on how often you can trigger battle jump.

true_shinken
2010-11-09, 08:42 PM
Dude, why the hell are you splashing the feeble Wizard in the awesomeness that is Mystic Ranger?! Just be a single class Mystic Ranger and you'll be fine. Wizard is doing nothing for you, zero, caput, naught, 無!
Single classed Mystic Ranger are the bee's knees.

That said, your damage output is behind a whirling frenzy barbarian, but still fine.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-09, 08:43 PM
I've got a +14 jump modifer right now, so I can regularly make my battle jumps, besides the sudden shift ACF of transmuter help me if I have to jump on large or bigger foe (not the case as of last session).

The party is a bard (not really sure what does he wants to do, I suggested to look into dragonfire inspiration)... and a healing oriented cleric, grapple focused paladin (want to go into justiciar or that prg class that gets hog-tie)... so I am the groups beatstick.

Edit: True Shinken: Mystic ranger was justfor the skills and proficiences (I know the awesomeness of a Sword an' shape mystic ranger, but I want my 9th, and by bahamut I will get them one way or another.

true_shinken
2010-11-09, 08:47 PM
I've got a +14 jump modifer right now, so I can regularly make my battle jumps, besides the sudden shift ACF of transmuter help me if I have to jump on large or bigger foe (not the case as of last session).
Wait, what? Reliably using Battle Jump against a Medium-sized opponent needs a Jump check with DC 40 O.o

Mystic ranger was justfor the skills and proficiences (I know the awesomeness of a Sword an' shape mystic ranger, but I want my 9th, and by bahamut I will get them one way or another.
Well, then I guess vanilla Ranger would be better, since they get proficiency with martial weapons...
but you're going exotic, right? Nevermind then.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-09, 08:48 PM
Wait, what? Reliably using Battle Jump against a Medium-sized opponent needs a Jump check with DC 40 O.o

Well, then I guess vanilla Ranger would be better, since they get proficiency with martial weapons...
but you're going exotic, right? Nevermind then.

Wasn't it 30? ¬_¬ seems I might have to apologize to my DM, but I still got sudden shift in any case.