PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Swarm Subtype

BenTheJester
2010-11-09, 08:03 PM
Are there any way to give the swarm template to an undead creature?

There is the Swarm-Shifter template, but it doesn't seem like there is a way to get that other than being the DM

Is the Brood Keeper's Heart Chakra permanent(I don't know that much about incarnum)?

But even then, are there any other way?

I'm open to pretty much anything.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-09, 08:12 PM
I don't remember exactly, but once you shape (and bind) a soulmeld it is shaped infinetly unless you unshape it or it is dispelled so Brood keeper heart might work though it is a high level trick (ECL 14-ish at earliest IIRC) and owuld need the undead meldshaper feat,

the other option is trying to gain the swarm subtype using one of the rituals in the Savage species... (note I am not sure if said ritual exist, but I think it does)

Nanoblack
2010-11-09, 08:58 PM
Um, I think you're going to be pleased to know that I found exactly what you're looking for. Check out the swarm shifter template from the libris mortis. It gives a ton of swarms it can change into, including (but not limited to) sand or just a good old fashioned whirlwind of body parts.

Urpriest
2010-11-09, 09:02 PM
Um, I think you're going to be pleased to know that I found exactly what you're looking for. Check out the swarm shifter template from the libris mortis. It gives a ton of swarms it can change into, including (but not limited to) sand or just a good old fashioned whirlwind of body parts.

That's the one he mentioned in the OP, he just didn't know the name. There's no way to get it short of DM intervention, much like Living Fossil or Evolved.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-11-09, 11:39 PM
There is another other way off the top of my head. It involves an obscure feat and PrC. I don't think its what you are after though.

WinWin
2010-11-09, 11:58 PM
Most extraplanar vermin become magical beasts. This may make them a valid target for something like True Mind Switch (Telepath 9).

Otherwise, PaO into a templated creature. That requires 8th level arcane spells.

Savage species has the ritual of transformation. It allows creatures to become another species...perhaps even a templated creature.

The wizards site has vague rules for adding templates post character creation. Savage Progressions (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a) gives the basics for turning templates into class levels.

hope this helps.