PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new RPG...

Trodon
2010-11-09, 08:04 PM
So as the title says I'm looking for a new RPG to look in to. D&D, Starwars, and Shadowrun I already have books for. I'm not really looking for anything specific, however I am interested in a superhero themed one, if there is one.

Jyokage
2010-11-09, 08:07 PM
There is always Mutants and Masterminds...Their new 3rd edition is quite awesome imo.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-11-09, 08:08 PM
Mutants and Masterminds. Has the bonus of being d20 based so somewhat similar to D&D, easing the learning curve somewhat.

Lev
2010-11-09, 08:09 PM
I second mutant and masterminds for the mainstream first pic of the year.

Reign is apparently a good alternative to a fantasy setting RPG and has macro setting influence rules.

Maryring
2010-11-09, 08:10 PM
I have only positive things to say about M&M. It's a lot of fun, it fits a lot of themes, and you can make pretty much anything with it, since there are no "classes" as is, and all powers can be taken independant of one another. You can make the whole crew of Super Smash Bros regular to brawl with it.

Trodon
2010-11-09, 08:12 PM
Wow thanks, well I'm going to search for an M&M 3rd ed quick start guide now. keep the suggestions coming! :smallsmile:

true_shinken
2010-11-09, 08:14 PM
Mutants & Masterminds 2nd editions.
If not, get DC Adventures.

Trodon
2010-11-09, 08:21 PM
Alright, I got a DCA quick start and I'm getting an M&M quick start not sure which edition it is yet though. Thanks everyone, if anyone has a third suggestion I'm open.

The Big Dice
2010-11-09, 09:01 PM
There's also Godlike (http://www.arcdream.com/godlike/). Imagine that super powered "talents" had started to appear or be made during WW2.

Tengu_temp
2010-11-09, 10:31 PM
DC Adventures is M&M third edition. It's superior to second edition in almost every aspect, but it came out only recently and as such is much less popular.

Trodon
2010-11-09, 11:04 PM
Oh... Thanks for letting me know! :smallbiggrin:

The Rose Dragon
2010-11-09, 11:45 PM
While Mutants & Masterminds is the bee's knees, I also have two alternate suggestions. Witchcraft (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=692&it=1), which is free, and Exalted 2nd Edition, which is great fun if you never visit the White Wolf forums. They are not really superhero-themed (though Exalted's power levels come close), but they are still fun.

Satyr
2010-11-10, 03:12 AM
Gurps (Powers / Supers) does anything M&M does. Only more so and better. And it does much, much more as well. It is also much harder to break the system by accident. M&M only works if you put in an active effort not to break the game.

Raendyn
2010-11-10, 03:32 AM
World of Darkness?

Or NewWoD..

any of the side games is interesting. Vampires/Mages/Werewolves are the basic

Changelings are really good, Geists also.

If you like urban fantasy just take a look.

Note that the difference "Races & at the same time "Classes" are potencially each one a different game! different spell systems

All NWoD sidegames use same core rules & a d10 system

----------------------------------------------------------------

Someone already mentioned Exalted... great fantasy setting with many different options on the powerlevel point of view..

------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you familiar with warhammer 40000 universe? there are many strategy & RPG games as well as novels..

If you are then you'll love dark heresy,Rogue trader & super new Deathwatch

3 different games in the same setting...

They are pretty interesting even if you don't know the 40k universe,

Note that 40k is a science fiction, not a fantasy!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
You play shadowrun? Great game! if only it did not had a million different rolls to conclude one attack!...

dsmiles
2010-11-10, 05:20 AM
Alright, I got a DCA quick start and I'm getting an M&M quick start not sure which edition it is yet though. Thanks everyone, if anyone has a third suggestion I'm open.

M&M 2nd edition has more books. DC Adventures is relatively new, and has a lot less published material.

turkishproverb
2010-11-10, 05:21 AM
If you can find it? Ghostbusters International.

Tyrmatt
2010-11-10, 08:11 AM
I'm on a Unisystem kick just now. All Flesh Must Be Eaten in particular but I've discovered a nifty little fan community and once these players die a grisly horrible death, it'll hopefully be Fallout in the Unisystem. It seems to be pretty adaptable to any genre though.

There is also a nifty Zombie themed superhero campaign available in the World of the Dead book for it.

For actual honest to goodness superheroics though, M&M can't be beat. And I hear the DC comics edition of it is out?

horngeek
2010-11-10, 08:21 AM
Note on Exalted: it's more Classical Heroism than Modern Superheroes.

That said, yes, get it. :smallbiggrin:

hamlet
2010-11-10, 08:27 AM
I'll always recommend Palladium's Heroes Unlimited line for super heroes type games. Not simple or elegant, but tremendously fun in my experience.

Trodon
2010-11-10, 08:31 AM
Alright, It look like I'll just have to get every RPG out there. It's going to take a lot of time and money. :smalleek:

panaikhan
2010-11-10, 08:35 AM
I have a few Palladium books - Heroes Unlimited, Nightbane, Ninjas & Superspies, Beyond the Supernatural - all offer different ideas on what a 'hero' is.

The only problem I have with palladium books are the wildly differing power levels of various characters.

hamlet
2010-11-10, 08:44 AM
I have a few Palladium books - Heroes Unlimited, Nightbane, Ninjas & Superspies, Beyond the Supernatural - all offer different ideas on what a 'hero' is.

The only problem I have with palladium books are the wildly differing power levels of various characters.

Yes, if that's how you understand balance.

The Palladium group and people who play the games more would respond that balance is not a matter of number equality on the page, but something instituted by the GM running the game.

To take the RIFTS example, yeah, a Glitter Boy is obscenely powerful, but he has a whole host of drawbacks that are problematic not only for him, but his entire group. People are going to want to get their hands on his equipment, so they'll be after him all the time. His equipment is absurdly expensive, so he might not even be able to use it half the time. He'll always be target number one in battles. He won't be able to do "subtle" at any time unless he gets out of his suit, in which case he's vulnerable . . . It goes on.

The same with Heroes Unlimited. Yeah, a mega-hero is ridiculously over powered compared to some of his contemporaries, but there are going to be a lot of drawbacks to having that kind of raw power in your hands. Plus, collarteral damage is a killer.

JediSoth
2010-11-10, 08:49 AM
Adamant Entertainment's ICONS has been getting pretty good press for a new superhero RPG that's lighter on rules than Mutants & Masterminds. It has the distinction of being designed by the same guy, Steve Kenson.

If you're looking for something a little more pulp-actiony, I've heard many people talk positively about Spirit of the Century, a FATE-based game. I bought it and thinks it looks very cool if you're in the mood for a pulp action-adventure game.

panaikhan
2010-11-10, 08:57 AM
Yes, if that's how you understand balance.

The Palladium group and people who play the games more would respond that balance is not a matter of number equality on the page, but something instituted by the GM running the game.

I've GM'd Palladium games. Designing encounters is extremely difficult, especially when the only 'bad guy' to even make the power-player worried, would turn the rest of the party into sticky paste. I've seen the problem in other RPG's too, but not to such an extreme.

Earthwalker
2010-11-10, 09:14 AM
Let me throw Squadron UK into the ring.

Its a rules light, simple Supers game that you can find all you need to play free online.

It certainly has an interesting character creation system, I have had alot of fun playing it.

Dizlag
2010-11-10, 09:36 AM
Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition ($10) has an expansion book called Super Powers Companion ($20) for all your superhero and super villain needs. Also, they have a campaign setting called Necessary Evil ($20) that you can get instead of the Super Powers Companion. In this setting you play super villains out to save the world.

The Savage Worlds ruleset is a lighter ruleset that's "Fast, Furious, and Fun!" I'm currently running a Nazi Hunting campaign in their The Day After Ragnarok campaign setting.

Enjoy!

Dizlag

hamlet
2010-11-10, 09:48 AM
I've GM'd Palladium games. Designing encounters is extremely difficult, especially when the only 'bad guy' to even make the power-player worried, would turn the rest of the party into sticky paste. I've seen the problem in other RPG's too, but not to such an extreme.

The GM should never rest easy.:smalltongue:

Bruendor_Cavescout
2010-11-10, 10:40 AM
Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition ($10) has an expansion book called Super Powers Companion ($20) for all your superhero and super villain needs. Also, they have a campaign setting called Necessary Evil ($20) that you can get instead of the Super Powers Companion. In this setting you play super villains out to save the world.

Let me expound on Necessary Evil for a moment, because the plot for the campaign setting is pretty awesome.

Start off with your average four-color superhero world. Earth has a cadre of superheroes that protect it from threats, both terrestrial and extraterrestrial. Though there's heroes and villains all over the world, one place has a veritable mother lode of supers: Freedom City. Everyone seems to have designs upon Freedom City, everyone from Champion, the most powerful hero on Earth, to Dr. Destruction, the world's most dispicable villain.

It is this world that is invaded by shark-man aliens called the K'tharen. As I said previously, Earth had been invaded by aliens before, and like the previous times, Earth's heroes rallied to its defense. This time, however, things were different. The K'tharen were strong, and had decently powerful technology. Plus, there were unending waves of them. For the first time, Earth despaired that this might be its final days.

Fortunately, a second wave of aliens showed up when Earth was at its most vulnerable. The V'sori were a race of highly advanced psionics, and their technology was beyond even the K'tharen. They had been attacked by the K'tharen generations ago, and now were offering their assistance at driving off the Fins, as they had become known. Earth saw its chance, and teamed up with the V'sori. It was a costly fight, as hundreds of heroes died, including Champion. However, Earth was saved. The V'sori were lauded as heroes, and major celebrations between Earth's heroes and the V'sori leaders were held in every major city on Earth.

Which is exactly what the V'sori wanted.

You see, the V'sori weren't exactly lying when they said the K'tharen invaded. What they didn't mention was that they had turned them into a subjugated race, and used them as an advance force. They had pulled this trick on hundreds of worlds before Earth, and succeeded in gaining the trust of the heroes, and gathering the remaining few that could prove to be rebellious once they revealed themselves.

The V'sori battleships opened fire on the gathered heroes. There were no survivors.

It's now a decade later. Earth is being stripped of its natural resources, and the V'sori are now the supreme rulers. They sit confidently in their high rises and command rooms, knowing that there is no one to oppose them now that Earth's heroes are dead. However, they forgot one thing.

Earth's villains are still alive, and they won't give up their prize without a fight.

You play one of these villains, forced into working for Dr. Destruction and his resistance group. Your group of villains work to destabilize the V'sori power structure, and take back Earth from the Fins. Can you and the other former villains work together to do the heroes' job?

Dizlag
2010-11-10, 11:56 AM
Nice summary there Mr. Cavescout. Pretty much that ... yeah, it's the supervillains trying to take back THEIR playground, if you will. =)

It's Savage! It's a ton of fun!

Dizlag

The Big Dice
2010-11-10, 01:34 PM
Gurps (Powers / Supers) does anything M&M does. Only more so and better. And it does much, much more as well. It is also much harder to break the system by accident. M&M only works if you put in an active effort not to break the game.

Unless they've changed it dramatically from 3rd edition, Supers is the area that GURPS falls flat on it's face. The math involved is horriffic and it's simply not possible to make a character capable of penetrating the armour on a tank right out of the box.

Which I'd say is an important prerequisite for a superhero game :smallwink:

mikeejimbo
2010-11-10, 04:55 PM
I think GURPS 4th does Supers all right. The math is nowhere near as bad as 3rd...well, unless you want it to be.

I think 3rd wasn't too bad, either. I think you could make a character that could penetrate the armor of a tank in it. (And I know you can in 4th)

kyoryu
2010-11-10, 06:10 PM
Unless they've changed it dramatically from 3rd edition, Supers is the area that GURPS falls flat on it's face. The math involved is horriffic and it's simply not possible to make a character capable of penetrating the armour on a tank right out of the box.

Which I'd say is an important prerequisite for a superhero game :smallwink:

For a GURPS-like system doing supers, you've pretty much gotta go with Champions. It's just in a whole other league for doing superhero games.

OTOH, I'm not particularly fond of the Hero System (the Champions base system) for non-supers games...

a_humble_lich
2010-11-10, 08:33 PM
It also depends a lot on what you mean when you say Supers. I agree that GURPS can have problems with Justice League/Fantanastic Four levels of Supers (you can do it but first have to think a lot about what you're doing). But for a game which is more like the Heros TV show or Spiderman GURPS is great. After all Spidy doesn't go around fighting tanks.

Trodon
2010-11-10, 09:46 PM
After all Spidy doesn't go around fighting tanks.

He should though...

Gahrer
2010-11-11, 06:28 PM
I second GURPS too. That system is so awesome it almost scares me... :smallbiggrin:

The Big Dice
2010-11-11, 06:36 PM
I think GURPS 4th does Supers all right. The math is nowhere near as bad as 3rd...well, unless you want it to be.

I think 3rd wasn't too bad, either. I think you could make a character that could penetrate the armor of a tank in it. (And I know you can in 4th)

Tanks in 3r ed GURPS has a DR in the thousand plus range. Getting the ability to beat that on 500 points was nigh impossible. Getting the ability to throw a 65 ton tank more than a couple of yards was also extremely difficult on 500 points.

If they fixed those kind of issues in 4th, good for them. But after I found M&M, I started to think that GURPS Supers was at around the PL5-7 sort of range.

mikeejimbo
2010-11-11, 07:02 PM
Tanks in 3r ed GURPS has a DR in the thousand plus range. Getting the ability to beat that on 500 points was nigh impossible. Getting the ability to throw a 65 ton tank more than a couple of yards was also extremely difficult on 500 points.

If they fixed those kind of issues in 4th, good for them. But after I found M&M, I started to think that GURPS Supers was at around the PL5-7 sort of range.

Well you didn't specify how many points you wanted to be able to do it in. :smalltongue:

The Big Dice
2010-11-11, 07:12 PM
So as the title says I'm looking for a new RPG to look in to. D&D, Starwars, and Shadowrun I already have books for. I'm not really looking for anything specific, however I am interested in a superhero themed one, if there is one.

If you're into anime, I can't recommend Legend of the Five Rings highly enough. Admittedly, it's roots were originally in samurai drama, but the system now has gone far beyond that.

One thing I would suggest is heading over to the reviews section ar rpg.net (http://www.rpg.net/reviews/) and seeing what you like the look of.

Welknair
2010-11-11, 07:32 PM
Not superheroes, but a D20 I thought was really well made and happened to fit perfectly into the roleplaying setup...

http://www.narutod20.com/

Even if you're not into Naruto or even have never seen an episode... Read the rulebook. It's awesome.

Gorilla2038
2010-11-11, 09:51 PM
Not superpowered, but you might try Deadlands or Deadlands hell on earth. Magic steampunk cowboys, and then magic cowboys in the future!

If your looking for a weird system change, try Nyambe! Always fun to switch your world view around, and play as a totally different culture.

Also, call of cthullu is always fun, and i personally and sadisticly love to run coc campaigns.

houlio
2010-11-11, 10:06 PM
Kinda the opposite of superheroes, but since it never gets any love on these boards it seems I should mention it: Traveller.
The best way I can describe it is that its like Firefly, except that instead of being heavily western-themed, its heavily age-of-sail British Empire themed.
The newest edition by Mongoose is pretty cool imo. The players generate characters semi-randomly, which some might find distasteful but I (and my players for the game) believe to be tons of fun. The system is very rules light compared to D20, I taught about 6 players most of what they needed to know in the course of one session. The rules can get a little complicated with things like trading and space combat, and the GM support is a little shaky with only the core rule book but is ultimately manageable once you get the style down.