PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly Race

Morithias
2010-11-09, 09:07 PM
With the exception of using fluff to say that my half-celestial has butterfly wings or something like that. Is there actually a race that can basically be summed up as "Catfolk except instead of 'cat' it's 'butterfly'"?

I've checked the most obvious books and have either failed a spot check or wasn't looking in the right place, and seeing how it was hard enough to add the antro template onto a small monster, I really don't want to go to the trouble of adding it to a tiny monster.

and yes I know about the pixie/nixie whatever. Not to be dismissive of what might be my best option, I'm looking for something a tad....bigger.

Thanks a lot people!

Edit: And yes I will accept 3rd party material like Dandwiki on this, but I'd HIGHLY prefer 1st party if you do not mind.

dgnslyr
2010-11-09, 09:09 PM
Don't Half-Fey get butterfly wings? I remember hearing that on this forum a while ago.

Morithias
2010-11-09, 09:10 PM
Don't Half-Fey get butterfly wings? I remember hearing that on this forum a while ago.

Wait there's actually a half-fey template? I recall there being a half-nymph in the Book of Templates....is that races of wild?

Edit: Found it. And whose bright idea was it to put a bloody FEY template in the FIEND folio!!

Kylarra
2010-11-09, 09:13 PM
Half-fey is fiend folio and explicitly gets "butterflylike wings".

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-09, 09:14 PM
Half-fey is in Fiend Folio (counter-intuitive I know), and the savage progression can be found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) (just scroll down a bit)

Edit: Half-swordsag'd... at least I got the link

Morithias
2010-11-09, 09:15 PM

Thank you again, you posted while I edited my last post.

As I said, whose bloody idea was it to put a FEY template in the fiend folio. That's like putting a half-formian (those lawful insect outsider monsters) template in the "Book of Chaos: The plane of Limbo" book. (If it existed).

Half-fey is in Fiend Folio (counter-intuitive I know), and the savage progression can be found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) (just scroll down a bit)

Thank you. You posted while I posted this one. XD Ok people, lock the thread I got my answer.

Cerlis
2010-11-09, 10:05 PM
lame i was gunna say just ask the DM if you can use the stats for that Bird race in races of the wild but just change the fluff. I mean even their claw attack...bugs got claws too.

Buut...the half fey is probably better for you. I know my impression of a class/race is highly affected by the art. I remember when my friend saw the art for the Paladin in 4.0 and saying it was so cool and he wanted to play one. I didnt bother telling him that was some art from another perstige class (or from Tome of Battle?) just reused and that as far as i could tell Paladins are just like clerics.

So yea, if you used Raptorins people would just keep calling you the Raptorin/bird guy and you'd have to remind em you are not.

Lhurgyof
2010-11-09, 10:12 PM
Glora from the Underdark?

They literally are a butterfly race.

Theodoriph
2010-11-09, 10:14 PM
No one suspects the Butterfly!!

I so need to make a butterfly villain now.

realbombchu
2010-11-09, 10:22 PM
The unseelie fey template from the Dragon Compendium basically lets you choose or roll for your wings. I think there's a level adjustment though, and they're evil.

Edit: I mean you choose/roll how the wings look (dragonfly, bat, bird, butterfly, and so on).

Runestar
2010-11-10, 07:08 AM
Glora from the Underdark?

They literally are a butterfly race.

ECL9. :smallfrown:

I would go pixie personally, but yeah, half-fey would work better, as it has a lower LA.

Eldan
2010-11-10, 07:10 AM
The Fiend Folio really doesn't have that much to do with Fiends. It contains some fiends of every variety, but that's only a small part of it. It's really just a traditional name (since first edition, I think) for a book of monsters.

Heliomance
2010-11-10, 07:18 AM
Yeah, the Fiend Folio has quite a lot of fey in it, actually.

HunterOfJello
2010-11-10, 07:20 AM
Half-Fey and Unseelie Fey are both great templates. Unseelie Fey should be at least +1 LA, but is set at at +0.

Unseelie Fey can be really amazing for Sorcerers or Bards who exploit the Winter Chill ability to take out enemies with save or die spells (not to mention stat bonuses, vision bonuses, free wings with average maneuverability and scaling DR).

FMArthur
2010-11-10, 07:57 AM
Fax's Ameena race made for D20r is exactly what you wanted (a butterfly-folk race) instead of just wings, is LA0 and looks to be fully compatible with D&D3.5. It can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10858).

grarrrg
2010-11-10, 08:48 AM
I so need to make a butterfly villain now.

Just make sure you give it a goatee.

panaikhan
2010-11-10, 08:51 AM
I just had this very strange image of a butterfly spellcaster casting Control Weather by making thousands of copies of itself...

Person_Man
2010-11-10, 10:00 AM
So, you intend to play the Monarch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarch_%28The_Venture_Bros.%29)? Cause that would be awesome.

Morithias
2010-11-11, 05:45 AM
So, you intend to play the Monarch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarch_%28The_Venture_Bros.%29)? Cause that would be awesome.

No, I intend to play a CG hellfire warlock build, with a magic item that lets her shrink. (E.g The Wasp from the Avengers).

Iku Rex
2010-11-11, 05:50 AM
Petal, MM3.

More of a "flower race" really, but it's close.

Morithias
2010-11-11, 05:52 AM
Petal, MM3.

More of a "flower race" really, but it's close.

Ok it has a listed LA but it says La +2 (cohort).

...I guess I'll have to check with DM about using it, but it looks really really nice.

Thanks for all the options people! It would've taken me months to find all of these.

Ravens_cry
2010-11-11, 05:54 AM
I just had this very strange image of a butterfly spellcaster casting Control Weather by making thousands of copies of itself...
To quote a series old, faintly creepy in parts, Bell commercials (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZb0avfQme8), "You will."
Oh,the fun of the Spell Thematics feat!
Would a petal work? Easily refluffed there, being a flying tiny fey.

Morithias
2010-11-11, 05:57 AM
To quote a series old, faintly creepy in parts, Bell commercials (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZb0avfQme8), "You will."
Oh,the fun of the Spell Thematics feat!
Would a petal work? Easily refluffed there, being a flying tiny fey.

Oh yeah, it's almost perfect, it would be 'perfect' if I had a way to make myself medium sized, but I think I can talk my DM into letting me be medium sized outside of combat (out of all the avengers I have watched, I don't think I've ever seen an episode where the Wasp was in combat at human size).

Escheton
2010-11-11, 11:14 AM
If the LA mentions (cohort) then they are not available as Pc's
Usually because of fluff.
However, due to this their powerlvl is often out of balance as they are not meant for Pc abuse.

Consider this when using it a base for your homebrew.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-11, 11:16 AM

I'm going to make the Monarch now.:smallbiggrin:

Iku Rex
2010-11-11, 11:25 AM
If the LA mentions (cohort) then they are not available as Pc's

It doesn't actually say that anywhere.

However, due to this their powerlvl is often out of balance...
No more or less than any other LA creature, AFAIAC.

Gorilla2038
2010-11-11, 01:17 PM
Oh yeah, it's almost perfect, it would be 'perfect' if I had a way to make myself medium sized, but I think I can talk my DM into letting me be medium sized outside of combat (out of all the avengers I have watched, I don't think I've ever seen an episode where the Wasp was in combat at human size).

Happens in Ultimates 2, when shes breaking cap out of jail. Other than that, i cant either.

Morithias
2010-11-11, 05:02 PM
Happens in Ultimates 2, when shes breaking cap out of jail. Other than that, i cant either.

Was that a comic or an episode of the tv series cause I never actually have bought and read any of the comics just the shows and movies.

For those interested I have created a level 3 proto-type using the petal.

http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=9890

gbprime
2010-11-11, 05:16 PM
Winged Creature template from Savage Species is easier, IMO, and insect wings are an option. LA +2, comes with decent flight move, great manuverability, and bonuses to Dex and Wis.

The Shadowmind
2010-11-11, 05:32 PM
I'd go with the half-fey template that is mentioned, and for the shrink item, basing it off the Compression power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/compression.htm), would work better than reduce person( 2 sized instead of 1).

Gorilla2038
2010-11-11, 06:29 PM
Was that a comic or an episode of the tv series cause I never actually have bought and read any of the comics just the shows and movies.

For those interested I have created a level 3 proto-type using the petal.

http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=9890

Comic. Marvels side reality of normal, called ultimate marvel. Really good comic (Ultimates that is), which I and II being writenn by mark millar(who did wanted amonst other things)

Brendan
2010-11-11, 06:47 PM
anthropomorphic half-fey hummingbird? just about the right size, shape, and colours. it'd make a deadly caster if you buy off the LA.

FMArthur
2010-11-11, 07:30 PM
Am I on a forum-wide ignore list? :smallconfused:
This race is exactly, 100%, what the OP wants:

Fax's Ameena race made for D20r is exactly what you wanted (a butterfly-folk race) instead of just wings, is LA0 and looks to be fully compatible with D&D3.5. It can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10858).

Fax Celestis has a longstanding reputation for quality homebrew, if that concerns you. Stuff on the D&D Wiki is a joke on GitP for the most part; generally speaking, the whole homebrew section here actually cares about being clear, thorough, and balanced (even if it isn't always successful). Fax is one of the most thorough, hard-working homebrewers around and Ameena looks really good for use as a race.

Lhurgyof
2010-11-11, 07:36 PM
Am I on a forum-wide ignore list? :smallconfused:
This race is exactly, 100%, what the OP wants:

Fax Celestis has a longstanding reputation for quality homebrew, if that concerns you. Stuff on the D&D Wiki is a joke on GitP for the most part; generally speaking, the whole homebrew section here actually cares about being clear, thorough, and balanced (even if it isn't always successful). Fax is one of the most thorough, hard-working homebrewers around and Ameena looks really good for use as a race.

The DM may not allow homebrew, but yeah, Gloura's are butterfly people.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-11-11, 08:31 PM
Is it sad that when I read the thread title I thought you were asking about how to improve the speed of a butterfly for some sort of competition of speed?

Come to think of it, having the PCs participate in a race riding on the backs of giant butterflies would be pretty neat.

gbprime
2010-11-11, 11:01 PM
Is it sad that when I read the thread title I thought you were asking about how to improve the speed of a butterfly for some sort of competition of speed?

Come to think of it, having the PCs participate in a race riding on the backs of giant butterflies would be pretty neat.

On your marks... get set... FLUTTER! :smallamused: