PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Problems...in Reverse.

BobVosh
2010-11-10, 12:44 AM
Long story short I'm an antipaladin from PF of Wee Jas. Used to be a pally of Pelor, but I became a vampire doing the whole "fall like a rock" thing. The DM is letting me be LE (because a code of conduct and supporting tyranny on a CE character made no sense).

I don't care about the tons of little vampiric weaknesses. That is fine. My issue is thus: daylight. I have deeper darkness memorized, full plate + shield should help depending how the DM plays it, even have some teleport stuff to get out of there. However I don't like the one standard action then you are dead thing. So how else can I prepare for the hate of my former worship?

I saw something like super sunblock in Libris Mortis, and a neat feat that delays it quite a bit. I have a great UMD, and can reliably get any scroll off that is below 9th level.

Levels if anyone is curious: Vampire is 1(!), Antipaladin 11, Fighter 1. I can pull from any source, with DM approval. He is generally good about it, and I don't want to be mean to him for it. Also I would prefer warding off for a period, not "you never worry about it again...ever." It seems like it could be fun to play with.

Kaje
2010-11-10, 12:51 AM
How bout an umbrella?

BobVosh
2010-11-10, 01:37 AM
How bout an umbrella?

I have thought of it. Then rejected it for making far too many Nightmare before Halloween references and undignified for the character.

The Shadowmind
2010-11-10, 01:50 AM
There is the Dark Lantern in Tome of Magic, that when lit makes shadowy illumination in 60th, the standard item is CL 9.

Alleine
2010-11-10, 01:58 AM
Yeah, LM has a paste that protects you from sunlight for one hour, or until someone casts a light spell that does extra damage to you. It also has a pair of goggles in the magic item section that increase the standard action you get before poofing to a full round action, along with some other minor benefits.

BobVosh
2010-11-10, 07:48 AM
Get a shadow / darkness type spell, and heighten it to 9th level so that it can't be negated by 'higher level light spells.' There's probably some shadowy version of 'continual light' out there...
As a paladin I have issues with 9th level spells, in terms of scroll costs and ability to cast normally.

There is the Dark Lantern in Tome of Magic, that when lit makes shadowy illumination in 60th, the standard item is CL 9.
Does this block light? I haven't looked at a ToM in a very long time.

Yeah, LM has a paste that protects you from sunlight for one hour, or until someone casts a light spell that does extra damage to you. It also has a pair of goggles in the magic item section that increase the standard action you get before poofing to a full round action, along with some other minor benefits.
I find goggles doing that weird.

Cloak of dark power (SC pg 48). lvl 1 spell that specifically shelters you from sunlight
CLOAK OF DARK
POWER
Abjuration
Level: Drow 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
(harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
A dim gray haze appears around the creature. Light bends around this haze, leaving the creature in a patch of strange and shifting darkness. Cloak of dark power creates a dusky haze around the subject.

The haze does not interfere with vision, but the subject and anything it wears or carries is protected from the effects of full sunlight, even under the open, daytime sky of the surface world.

A drow subject suffers no blindness or bright illumination combat penalties while under the effect of cloak of dark power. The subject also gains a +4 resistance bonus on saves against light or darkness spells or effects.
Hmm might be hard to find someone with the drow domain, but definitely worth getting if possible.
Honorable mention, turn/healing immunity via Life Ward (SC pg 131). Worth having a scroll or two of, I suppose.

LIFE WARD
Abjuration
Level: Cleric 4
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
With a brush of your hand you surround the creature in crawling shadows, a cloak of negative energy that whirls and swims across the creature’s body.

A creature warded by this spell gains protection from the effects of positive energy, including magical healing. The spell can be cast upon undead to offer additional protection against the turning abilities of clerics. The subject is immune to all positive energy effects, including conjuration (healing) spells, channeled positive energy such as from the turn undead ability, or other affects that derive their power from positive energy.

This spell offers protection from the blinding effect of the Positive Energy Plane, and warded creatures gain no temporary hit points while there.
My cleric has promised such goodies.
And you'll probably love the cantrip/orion 'nolight' (BoVD pg 100), which completely negates nonmagical light, such as torches...or sunlight...

No Light
Transmutation
Level: Brd 1, Clr 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
The caster creates an area of darkness.

Normal light sources cannot illuminate the area, but darkvision allows a creature to see within the area. Light counters no light (and vice versa), leaving whatever light conditions normally prevail in the overlapping areas of the spells. Higher-level light spells counter and dispel no light.

You get a wand, a scroll, or an x/day item, or given how low level some of them are, a continual use item.

edit meant to spoiler those, not quote them...

Oddly this is more powerful than the darkness spell in PF. So I doubt it will fly. Current darkness: This spell causes an object to radiate darkness out to a 20-foot radius. This darkness causes the illumination level in the area to drop one step, from bright light to normal light, from normal light to dim light, or from dim light to darkness. This spell has no effect in an area that is already dark.

Although thanks for making me reread that. This is an important new clause: Creatures with light vulnerability or sensitivity take no penalties in normal light.

Greenish
2010-11-10, 11:11 AM
There is the Dark Lantern in Tome of Magic, that when lit makes shadowy illumination in 60th, the standard item is CL 9.Secrets of Sarlona has Blacklight, an item that allows you to control ambient light. You can use it to create 80' radius of perfect (non-magical) darkness.

Any magical light overcomes it though, so it'd still leave you vulnerable to the Sunlight spell.

Ravens_Wing
2010-11-11, 08:36 PM
create a "magic" Item. more specifically a cursed amulet of permanent light.. so it basically makes it so you are wondering around in a lil bubble of darkness wherever you go. I was in a group once where we had 2 vamps running around with the damn things on.

randomhero00
2010-11-11, 08:44 PM
Wrap yourself up like a mummy. Make sure its +1 so it doesn't go bye bye if someone casts a fireball.

Jack_Simth
2010-11-11, 08:50 PM
Endure Sunlight feat, Libris Mortis. Gives you a number of rounds in sunlight equal to 1+ your Charisma Modifier before you start having problems ... and getting out of direct sunlight resets the timer.

Oh yes, and buy a coach, some horses, and get a dominated hireling to drive it.

Edit: As an added bonus, you now have the option of saying "I just have sensitive skin" if someone comments on how you always avoid the light, and you can prove it by sitting in the sun for two rounds. Or, I suppose, you could always get one of those Hello Kitty (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0147.html) umbrellas.

Aron Times
2010-11-11, 08:56 PM
Um, it's quite obvious. Don't go out during the day. This is how Masquerade and Requiem players deal with sunlight.

The Glyphstone
2010-11-11, 10:25 PM
Um, it's quite obvious. Don't go out during the day. This is how Masquerade and Requiem players deal with sunlight.

And it's also why cross-venue games in WoD don't work so well, because it's an annoying limitation on the other players. If he's in a party, better for him to find ways to travel with them than to make them abide by his limits.