PDA

View Full Version : Elan and Tarquin (speculation spoiler if correct)

Ron Miel
2010-11-10, 08:34 AM
In discussing recent strips, a lot of readers have commented on Elan's failure to notice Tarquin's evil nature. In #755 The Captain says that he must be a fool or a villain, if he thinks it's just a misunderstanding.

Here's a thought. Elan knows all about Tarquin being evil. And he secretly objects. He's just playing along for the time being. Tarquin has promised to give Elan the information about Girard soon. Elan is waiting until then. I predict that as soon as Elan getsthe information, he will turn against his father. He stopped the captain taking her revenge only because he needs Tarquin alive for the moment. Once he has the information, he won't intervene again, or maybe even help her.

shiram
2010-11-10, 09:44 AM
That gives to much credit to Elan's inteligence, i dont think he fully realizes everything yet. Seeds of doubt have been planted though.

mucat
2010-11-10, 11:32 AM
I like the idea, but I don't think it's true. I would have loved to see a scene like:

(Events are coming to a head, and it's clear that the Order will have to directly attack Tarquin soon. Haley gathers her courage to break the news to Elan.)

:haley:: Um, honey, there's something you really need to understand right now...

:elan:: Hmm? Oh, sorry, Haley. I was just getting ready to fight my Dad.

:haley:: What? You know we have to fight him?

:elan:: Of course we do. He's evil. This is the big confrontation scene!

:haley:: But you were having so much fun reconnecting with him.

:elan:: Well, yeah. We've got to bond first. Otherwise where's the drama? Hey, can you ask Durkon to prepare Regeneration? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna lose a hand here.

I don't actually think it'll happen, though. Elan has openly told Haley he thinks his Dad is somehow non-evil, and he wouldn't lie to her. If they had danced around the issue instead -- Haley afraid to burst Elan's bubble, and Elan assuming that Haley knew that he knew Tarquin was evil -- then I would think it might end this way.

Psyren
2010-11-10, 01:11 PM
Here's a thought. Elan knows all about Tarquin being evil. And he secretly objects. He's just playing along for the time being. Tarquin has promised to give Elan the information about Girard soon. Elan is waiting until then. I predict that as soon as Elan getsthe information, he will turn against his father. He stopped the captain taking her revenge only because he needs Tarquin alive for the moment. Once he has the information, he won't intervene again, or maybe even help her.

That is a very "ends justify the means" approach that is completely unfitting of Elan's character. That's the kind of ploy V would be more likely to pull.

A more interesting dilemma would be Elan forced to choose between the greater good of their mission and allowing his father to go on being a bastard unchallenged.

137beth
2010-11-10, 03:48 PM
Elan isn't smart enough to think of all that.
@mucat: maybe he'll realize Tarquin is evil just before that scene happens. That is the earliest he could possibly realize. Otherwise, it would take way too much brain power for him to muster.

Lord Bingo
2010-11-10, 06:09 PM
When Elan is asked if he is a fool or a villain? He replies that he is a fool -which is his role in the comic.

Clearly Elan cannot yet see his fathers evil though it seems that he begins to suspect. At the same time Elan's father is clearly conspiring to use Elan and perhaps the Order to further his own ends. Sooner or later something will crack.

Psyren
2010-11-10, 09:12 PM
I think it's more "will not" than "cannot" - like SPoD said. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9734286&postcount=43)