PDA

View Full Version : Fling Me!!!

SamsDisciple
2010-11-10, 10:04 AM
So I know people have talked about the build before but I can't seem to find it. I want to play a living cannon ball escaped from the circus and turned adventurer. Race doesn't matter though small size would be prefered. Combat would be me being flung by the party hulking hurler but other than a pointy hat what can/should I do? One idea was to carry a lance and my dm said he would count that as a mounted charge, or make myself into more or less a returning weapon with dimension door or the like. Other ideas on how to make my circus dreams come true? 3.5 btw

zephyrkinetic
2010-11-10, 10:09 AM
Seems like Flyby Attack would work better than Mounted Charge. Atleast, it's closer fluff-wise. Also, Pounce is a good feat for this occasion, if you've got multiple weapons, as it would allow you to attack with all of them.

Or, for more fun: coat yourself in rubber, bounce off walls and trees and rocks until you can get back to Beast for your next cannonball blitz.

Keld Denar
2010-11-10, 12:20 PM
Battle Jump is required if he'll be lobbing you. As long as the vertex of your parabolic flight is higher then the creature you are attacking is tall, you'll be "falling from a greater height", which is then treated as an impromptu charge (which triggers pounce) and deals double damage. If you are smallish, you could land in your foe's square with the Underfoot Combat tactical feat (Races of Stone), and being a gnome with levels in Blade Bravo would be a help too.

Psyren
2010-11-10, 01:02 PM
Seems like Flyby Attack would work better than Mounted Charge. Atleast, it's closer fluff-wise.

Is it? You're not really "flying by" so much as you are "crashing into".

A Psywar would be interesting for this concept - You synchronicity, he tosses you, Expansion in mid-air and suddenly you're a giant gnome or whatever with a BIG lance hurtling towards your hapless foe at breakneck speed.

zephyrkinetic
2010-11-10, 01:10 PM
Is it? You're not really "flying by" so much as you are "crashing into".

I think one could at least have a chance to turn it into a flyby. Especially if one is a Small character (which is what I'm picturing). A few ranks in tumble would help, sure.

Although the "get huge, collide with the enemy" angle is a pretty awesome one, too.

Keld Denar
2010-11-10, 01:26 PM
That all is reliant on the idea that momentum is not conserved when your mass changes with magic. Its the same principle that always comes up when people talk about flinging Shrink Item'ed items at people and dismissing it midflight. Momentum is a function of inverse proportionality between velocity and inertia (mass). If momentum is concerved, when you increase mass, velocity will be reduced linearly. Since mass goes up by a factor of 8 per size catagory gained, velocity will go down by a factor of 8 per size catagory gained. Thats a HUGE loss.

Regardless, RL physics aren't modeled very well by D&D rules, for the most part. Pick and choose the parts you want, and with everything else, consult your DM.

zephyrkinetic
2010-11-10, 01:37 PM
That all is reliant on the idea that momentum is not conserved when your mass changes with magic. Its the same principle that always comes up when people talk about flinging Shrink Item'ed items at people and dismissing it midflight. Momentum is a function of inverse proportionality between velocity and inertia (mass). If momentum is concerved, when you increase mass, velocity will be reduced linearly. Since mass goes up by a factor of 8 per size catagory gained, velocity will go down by a factor of 8 per size catagory gained. Thats a HUGE loss.

I don't see the problem; toss things above your enemies, then let them Get Huge.
I do see your point, though. Believe I'll be using that "factor of 8" rule in the future.

Psyren
2010-11-10, 01:43 PM

You're assuming the character is being thrown straight at the target for this example; but weren't you the one who proposed lobbing them in an arc? :smalltongue:

If your DM enforces momentum loss, simply ask to be arced, wait until you're directly overhead, and then it won't matter whether your forward momentum is arrested by the size change.

Keld Denar
2010-11-10, 01:44 PM
Touche. Out physics'ed in my own game...

true_shinken
2010-11-10, 01:52 PM
Touche. Out physics'ed in my own game...

Keld. Please think of the catgirls.

Frosty
2010-11-10, 02:23 PM
You don't need Dimension Door if you're flung by a Bloodstorm Blade. You are now a magical weapon with the returning property :smallbiggrin:

grimbold
2010-11-10, 02:26 PM
im pretty sure a gnome would be optimal.
they have the love for mechanics
the showmanship/prankness of it
and sometimes they are just odd

SamsDisciple
2010-11-10, 04:41 PM
I am loving the visuals and it seems I will need my own copy of races of stone in order to have all of these cool ideas. Where can I find battle jump and blade bravo though? And also isn't there a psywar ability to swap places with an ally? If so that would be great to get my allies into hard to reach places, who needs a rope when you can just fling the gnome? Lastly the more I think about it the more I love the idea of a barbarian gnome being flung through the air and doing serious damage on that charge, and damage reduction to account for any falling damage I may take (plus it makes more sense as to why the hurler wants to physically throw the crazy gnome away from him)