PDA

View Full Version : The Energy Bow

Tyger
2010-11-10, 11:10 AM
is found HERE. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a)

What are the thoughts on this item. Seems a bit overpowered (+2 Composite Bow that adjusts itself to your strength, dealing 2d6 energy damage, requiring no arrows, and allowing power shot for only 22K) but lets face it, its a bow... :smalltongue:

I kind of get the impression that WotC never intended this item for use, but they did put out its stats, and not on April Fools Day either.

Thoughts?

Eldariel
2010-11-10, 11:11 AM
I like it, if only to actually gain Power Shot somehow. That should be a feat tho. But meh.

Greenish
2010-11-10, 11:14 AM
Pretty nice, given that Force is normally a +2 equivalent. Power Shot is something that should exist anyhow.

Ruinix
2010-11-10, 11:19 AM
archery in D&D is a subpar martial damage, so anything that enhance in any way is ok for me.

that bow is awesome, plain and simple. and u forgot to tell, those energy ammunition hit incorporeals without the miss chance and bypass any DR against "material type" weapon.

the only property lack for close to be OP is spliting, and even then will be ok for me.

Ruinix
2010-11-10, 11:20 AM
Pretty nice, given that Force is normally a +2 equivalent. Power Shot is something that should exist anyhow.

there is a PrC wich grant power shot, but i think is a 3.0 one, and my memory fail me for recall the name :(

Kaww
2010-11-10, 11:22 AM
there is a PrC wich grant power shot, but i think is a 3.0 one, and my memory fail me for recall the name :(

Peerless archer, silver marches, forgotten realms...

Ruinix
2010-11-10, 11:41 AM
Peerless archer, silver marches, forgotten realms...

my thanks.

that one. grant a the crappy ability of fletcher, and as pre req. have quick draw ?!??! but power shot worth it.

someone adjusted this PrC to 3.5 ?

El Dorado
2010-11-10, 11:44 AM
The energy bow grants the ability to make power shots. It's in the second paragraph. It would have been more clear if they had printed Hank's stats from the animated series handbook along with the bow's info.

Kaww
2010-11-10, 11:45 AM
One of my players wanted to play this...

We didn't find any updates... It turned her into a sad panda...

Eldariel
2010-11-10, 11:53 AM
my thanks.

that one. grant a the crappy ability of fletcher, and as pre req. have quick draw ?!??! but power shot worth it.

someone adjusted this PrC to 3.5 ?

It doesn't need adjustments. It's fine as is and has few other handy abilities; not to mention, it's RAW legal as all 3.0 material is compatible with 3.5 as long as it hasn't been replaced by a 3.5 printing. The principal issue is that it's 3.0 which still makes lots of people either unaware, or leery, of it. That, and the fact that you shouldn't have to take 3 levels in a PrC for something so fundamental to an archer (and something that's available as a feat to both, melee and throwers).

The Big Dice
2010-11-10, 01:43 PM
The energy bow grants the ability to make power shots. It's in the second paragraph. It would have been more clear if they had printed Hank's stats from the animated series handbook along with the bow's info.

He's in the Animated Series Handbook. Along with the rest of the kids from the show and Venger, too. And to think all I thought I was getting was the DVD box set...

Cieyrin
2010-11-10, 03:20 PM
I like it, if only to actually gain Power Shot somehow. That should be a feat tho. But meh.

My only issue with making it a feat is archery is so stupidly feat intensive, one more feat will break the archer's back at this rate. If we could shorten the feat tree so it's not so bushy, that'd be an improvement.

flare'90
2010-11-10, 03:52 PM

It actually gives only half of the benefits of Force, as it lack the ability to bypass DR.
It's more like Ghost Touch.

Eldariel
2010-11-10, 04:03 PM
My only issue with making it a feat is archery is so stupidly feat intensive, one more feat will break the archer's back at this rate. If we could shorten the feat tree so it's not so bushy, that'd be an improvement.

I personally like combining PBS into Precise Shot anyways. That's a start. Though you still have silly outliers like Far Shot, Improved Precise Shot, etc. that can be useful, but not often enough to truly pick them regularly. You could roll Power Shot into all that; after all, overdrawing a bow isn't all that out there (though whether the bow would like it is another thing entirely but like particle physics, I don't think that's really something to consider on a regular basis when designing a game).

Coidzor
2010-11-10, 04:05 PM
I like it myself. It's one of the top bows of 3.5, if not the top bow.

JonestheSpy
2010-11-10, 04:09 PM
Pretty nifty, but yeah, way underpriced (not that I use magic shops in my campaigns, but still).

Cieyrin
2010-11-10, 04:29 PM
(though whether the bow would like it is another thing entirely but like particle physics, I don't think that's really something to consider on a regular basis when designing a game).

That's where downtime maintenance comes in, since it's assumed adventurers spend the time to keep their armor and weapons in repair at that time. Either that or leave it to resident Warforged to do weapon maintenance on his watch.