PDA

View Full Version : Scott Pilgrim (Blu Ray or otherwise)

Cleverdan22
2010-11-10, 02:25 PM
So yesterday, the Blu Ray/DVD release of Scott Pilgrim finally hit. Absolutely fantastic movie, great cast, brilliant director. Any other fanatical fans like me pick it up? Thoughts on the numerous special features?

shadow_archmagi
2010-11-10, 08:55 PM
ohohohohohoho!

I was wondering when this would come out!

Earlier than I thought! Hurrah!

nihilism
2010-11-10, 09:12 PM
just watched it,

great movie, utterly bizarre.

Admiral Squish
2010-11-10, 09:22 PM
NEED TO WATCH IT. I been following the comic since it started and I never got to see it in theaters.

chiasaur11
2010-11-10, 11:37 PM
Waiting for my copies from Amazon.

...No, of course I didn't order from there in hopes of Ramona Flowers showing up. (yes I did)

Deth Muncher
2010-11-10, 11:42 PM

...No, of course I didn't order from there in hopes of Ramona Flowers showing up. (yes I did)

When I first found out about this, it was from a friend of mine who's pretty big into the series: So much so, he bought it from Amazon.ca.

They have two-day shipping.

I looked at him and said "Mike, you're not just going to wait by your door for your package to show up, are you?"

He says "No! (Maybe.)

Moff Chumley
2010-11-10, 11:43 PM
My thoughts on the movie: everything about it was awesome, except Ramona is portrayed in a completely unlikable manner. Like, I kinda hated her. And Scott wasn't hateable enough. But everything else was awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Om
2010-11-11, 05:55 AM
Watched it last night and found it to be entirely mediocre. There's nothing worse than a film that thinks it's a lot smarter than it actually is. If you've no interest in the comic books then I'd advise you to give it a miss

Sipex
2010-11-11, 09:30 AM
As a conflicting opinion I say it's a very unique film which you need to watch at least once, even if you don't read the comics, because it's just so different. There's a chance you'll hate it but it's really something you have to see to figure it out as it hits each person differently.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-11-11, 10:27 AM

Now wait for the anti-Ramona fandom to get the Knives out...

(ahem)

I'm looking forward to seeing the film - I read the comic out of interest and my film-obsessed friend is convinced that I will like it. hopefully the characters will be easier to tell apart.

Sipex
2010-11-11, 10:39 AM
Now wait for the anti-Ramona fandom to get the Knives out...

(ahem)

I'm looking forward to seeing the film - I read the comic out of interest and my film-obsessed friend is convinced that I will like it. hopefully the characters will be easier to tell apart.

I'm sorry to say that they cast Micheal Cera for all the male roles.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-11, 10:47 AM
What perplexes me most about this film is the advertising. This is a videogame refereance heavy romantic comedy, they could have done trailers for both action and romantic films and drawn in the mega crouds, why did we just get that inspid nothing?

Om
2010-11-11, 11:05 AM
As a conflicting opinion I say it's a very unique film which you need to watch at least once, even if you don't read the comics, because it's just so different. There's a chance you'll hate it but it's really something you have to see to figure it out as it hits each person differently.My verdict is above, but I have to ask just what's different about it?

Personally I found it to be entirely vapid. Push past the special effects (which are not particularly special) and there's very little there of note. That would be okay if the characters or the humour were good enough to carry this fluff, but they're not. Its a popcorn flick at best

What perplexes me most about this film is the advertising. This is a videogame refereance heavy romantic comedy, they could have done trailers for both action and romantic films and drawn in the mega crouds, why did we just get that inspid nothing?This is what annoys me. I'm being harsh on this film because I really wanted to see it for months on the basis of what was (IMO) an excellent trailer. Based on the latter it looked like a really witty comedy with some madcap action sequences thrown in. Instead it turns out the trailer contained every one of the laugh out loud moments and the fight scenes were crap. Disappointment

Sipex
2010-11-11, 12:00 PM
My verdict is above, but I have to ask just what's different about it?

Personally I found it to be entirely vapid. Push past the special effects (which are not particularly special) and there's very little there of note. That would be okay if the characters or the humour were good enough to carry this fluff, but they're not. Its a popcorn flick at best

But see, I thought they were, I loved the characters and the humour. The special effects weren't revolutionary but they were different and I enjoyed them.

You just show that what you disliked I did not simply because our tastes are different which is why I highly recommend seeing it to judge for oneself. I also wanted to insert a comment that wasn't "Thought out negative review vs raving fanboy." so someone on the fence gets a real opinion on it.

As a caveat I will say I didn't enjoy the movie as much as the comics but I did enjoy it.

chiasaur11
2010-11-11, 05:17 PM

This is what annoys me. I'm being harsh on this film because I really wanted to see it for months on the basis of what was (IMO) an excellent trailer. Based on the latter it looked like a really witty comedy with some madcap action sequences thrown in. Instead it turns out the trailer contained every one of the laugh out loud moments and the fight scenes were crap. Disappointment

You didn't find EVERY SECOND Wallace was on the screen hilarious beyond most reason?

Really?

What is wrong with you?

Moff Chumley
2010-11-11, 06:37 PM

You didn't find EVERY SECOND Wallace was on the screen hilarious beyond most reason?

Really?

What is wrong with you?

Yah, the movie won everything just for Wallace and Kim...[fanboy]

industrious
2010-11-11, 06:39 PM
I loved it.

*goes off to buy the comics*

Om
2010-11-12, 06:46 AM

Really?

What is wrong with you?Unfortunately Wallace was the only interesting and funny character on the screen. Enough to make up for the large periods of non-Wallace film? Nope

Comet
2010-11-12, 07:17 AM
A fun enoug film, though I do agree that most of the good bits were in the trailer. Some pleasant surprises, though.

The most dissapointing bit was the Power of Love and the Power of Understanding. The narrator/announcer didn't deliver the lines with enough oomph. I mean, come on, it's the Power of Love! Show some burning passion!
Those parts would have been better without the voice over, I think.

Also, comic!Pilgrim was a loveable scoundrel and the best fighter in the province with jacked up notions of who he really is and what he is capable of. Michael Cera!Pilgrim, on the other hand, is a sissy, both in writing and acting, which sort of undermines the fact that he routinely kicks ass left and right. Seemed sort of schizophrenic, the way he alternated between the fighter we know from the comics and, well, Michael Cera. I suppose it works, but it feels different from the comics, where Scott was still a powerful personality even when he was not battling for his love/life.

The movie still worked and the music was great. No regrets. edit: and Knives was awesome. You know this to be true.

Cleverdan22
2010-11-12, 02:19 PM
Also, comic!Pilgrim was a loveable scoundrel and the best fighter in the province with jacked up notions of who he really is and what he is capable of. Michael Cera!Pilgrim, on the other hand, is a sissy, both in writing and acting, which sort of undermines the fact that he routinely kicks ass left and right. Seemed sort of schizophrenic, the way he alternated between the fighter we know from the comics and, well, Michael Cera. I suppose it works, but it feels different from the comics, where Scott was still a powerful personality even when he was not battling for his love/life.

I accepted Micheal Cera as Scott Pilgrim the second I realized that basically no one could truly play the perfect comic-book Scott Pilgrim...because, well, he's Scott Pilgrim. He's completely manic, his facial expressions which are the most iconic aren't capable of being made, and his lines actually swing from mood to mood quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the comics, but I realized a choice needed to be made with the way they portrayed him in the movie.

Also, I don't think he was truly wimpy, just a little more subdued in his interactions with Ramona than he could have been.

Dust
2010-11-12, 02:33 PM
The comic, at least in my eyes, was about attraction and a person who was powerfully driven a lot of the time, and the lengths he'd go to get what he wanted. It was mingled with a surreal world and videogame elements.
The film was about a surreal world/videogame, revolving around the rather meek/pathetic (and yet lovable) titular character and his attraction to Ramona. Maybe I'm just jaded, but neither medium screamed 'love' to me - except, of course, for the undeniable effort that Bryan Lee O'Malley and Edgar Wright put into the projects.

That said, I'm a fan of both. I saw the film in theatres and bought the DVD earlier today and have already made plans to force it upon my friends this evening.

Joran
2010-11-12, 02:41 PM

I found the cinematography to be extremely novel. The transitions between scenes were in ways I'd never seen before and I was very impressed by the integration of some of the comic book elements.

I admit that the movie bogged down substantially between the scenes with the Clash at Demonhead and the ending; the movie felt like it was rushing to fulfill all 7 evil ex-boyfriends and left a lot of the emotional reasons why we should care about whether Ramona and Scott stay together behind. I think that was the primary failing of the movie: we as a audience don't really care about the main relationship.

Still it was a good movie and I greatly enjoyed it.

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-12, 02:46 PM
7 evil ex-boyfriends
Exes. :smalltongue:

I liked the movie, and will watch it this weekend.

SDF
2010-11-12, 11:38 PM
It's a decent movie. The comic is way better for character development reasons. (In the movie Scott only likes Ramona for being hot and no deeper meaning, where they develop that a lot in the comic. And, that is kind of the whole point)

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-12, 11:43 PM
the bloopers actually made me lol.

like the 33 takes on the scene where he chucks the package into the trash

Moff Chumley
2010-11-13, 12:52 AM
It's a decent movie. The comic is way better for character development reasons. (In the movie Scott only likes Ramona for being hot and no deeper meaning, where they develop that a lot in the comic. And, that is kind of the whole point)

Agreed. Ramona was pretty impossible to like in the movie. :smallconfused:

Nomrom
2010-11-13, 01:00 AM
Never read the comics before. I wanted to see this when it was in theater, but never got around to it. My and my roommates rented it last night, and I thought it was pretty good. Funny movie, with some pretty cool fights and nice music.

Admiral Squish
2010-11-19, 06:15 AM
I'm gonna have to say I'm in the unlikeable Ramona camp after renting the movie the other night. The movie was great, but Ramona totally failed to be likable.