PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help Me Pick A Magic Item For My Rogue!

Dizlag
2010-11-10, 02:30 PM
Ok all,

Here's the deal ... my DM has given our 18th level characters a choice to pick ANY magic item. Not an artifact, but ANY magic item and I need you to help pick me one.

The BBEG is a lich of uberness that we will eventually kill. My rogue wields two +5 ghost touch deadly precision bane (undead) daggers with a ring of blinking and pierce magical concealment. The BBEG has true seeing, so that "shtick" might be moot now so I'd be willing to change to a shortbow and an item of Sniper Shot.

I've got my +5 Tome of Dex, Gloves of Dex, and a Dex score of 46. He's got Shadow Blade (or is it Shadow Hand to add Dex mod to damage?), Assassin's Stance, and Craven as his major feats. He's also got a Rogue's Vest for extra SA and I think his SA is up to 15d6 right now.

If there was one magic item you could choose ... something not an artifact, what would you choose?

I'm not sure if Epic items are on the table, but if they are what would you choose there? The Mantle of Epic SR (SR 40) is pretty darn nice. My fort and will are horribly bad too. Hmmm ...

Well, have fun with this and if you need more info about my character let me know. I'm at work and trying to remember everything. =)

Thanks,

Dizlag

dsmiles
2010-11-10, 02:32 PM
Two words:

Angelwing Razor

Dizlag
2010-11-10, 03:24 PM
Two words:

Angelwing Razor

Is that an artifact? He's letting us choose one item that's not an artifact. =(

Dizlag

Gavinfoxx
2010-11-10, 03:30 PM
Epic SR sucks. SR sucks. Spell immunity, ie, infinite sr, sucks, since it prevents tons of useful spells being cast on you, and still lets most of the big mean spells that mess you up through.

Ask about the rules for combining magical items, and custom magical items....

Consider Starmantle Cloak (BoED), or Belt of Magnificence (MiniHB).

I'd say, go the belt, and combine it with pretty much every major belt slot item ever. And make it intelligent with all the best intelligent item options. And get it as an item familiar, and all those options. Monk's Belt of Battle, Healing, Many Pockets, Magnificence, etc. Combine most of the best options in the DMG and MIC for that slot, as well as the item familiar and intelligent item bonuses.

137beth
2010-11-10, 04:00 PM
@above: I doubt his DM is dumb enough to allow him to craft it however he wants:smallwink:

Anyways, do you know what class/build the lich is? Knowing its abilities would make it a lot easier to select magic items.

Diarmuid
2010-11-10, 04:15 PM
Do you currently hand a way to sneak attack undead?

herrhauptmann
2010-11-10, 04:47 PM
A pair of greater truedeath crystals well help with that.

The BBEG is a lich of uberness that we will eventually kill. My rogue wields two +5 ghost touch deadly precision bane (undead) daggers with a ring of blinking and pierce magical concealment. The BBEG has true seeing, so that "shtick" might be moot now so I'd be willing to change to a shortbow and an item of Sniper Shot.

True seeing doesn't completely negate your invisibility, unless he has a way of automatically targeting invisible and ethereal creatures. With just see invisibility, you're only 20% miss rather than 50%.
Could you have someone create an invisible fog cloud spell?

To your main question. With what you've got, there's not much we can really suggest in the way of weapons that'll help you out. For other item slots, the best way to help you would be to start stacking item effects. You know, boots of the moutain king, dragonstriding, haste (custom version, infinite use, 5rd/use), landing, etc.

Dizlag
2010-11-10, 05:01 PM

I put ghost touch abilities on my weapons, the ability from MIC.

True seeing doesn't completely negate your invisibility, unless he has a way of automatically targeting invisible and ethereal creatures. With just see invisibility, you're only 20% miss rather than 50%.
Could you have someone create an invisible fog cloud spell?

I thought True Seeing sees etheral creatures, i.e. he'll see me if I'm blinking, right? I have a +20 UMD skill, so would fog cloud work in a wand? What will an invisible fog cloud do for me? Will pierce magic concealment work on an invisible fog cloud and make true seeing not work?

The lich is an uber-caster with timestop, repulsion, the ring that shares damage with another (not sure what the name of it is), and probably all the insta-kill spells you can think of.

I'm run a use-activated continuous Circlet of Sniper's Shot by the DM. Level 1 spell x Level 3 caster x 2000gp x 4 (continous spell with a duration in rounds) = 24,000gp. Then, I could snipe him while blinking from a distance.

I've got a couple rods of cancellation and I've got a UMD score over 20.

I just know with True Seeing, my blinking technique won't work to get in my full attacks in melee ... 6 due to twf and haste. I've got 14d6 SA with melee weapons and 12d6 SA with ranged weapons, so I'm trying to get all those attacks in if possible. =)

Thanks so far! Keep the ideas coming!

Dizlag

dsmiles
2010-11-10, 05:02 PM
Is that an artifact? He's letting us choose one item that's not an artifact. =(

Dizlag

Sorry, I guess I missed that bit. Yeah, it's a Major Artifact.

Dizlag
2010-11-10, 05:06 PM
Sorry, I guess I missed that bit. Yeah, it's a Major Artifact.

No problem. I looked at the brilliant energy weapon ability, but that will just make me a walking torch ... not good for a stealthy rogue. Or does the Angelwing Razor have a "black light" for it's brilliant energy part? Btw, what book is it in?

Back to the ranged weapon idea. Isn't there a "force" ranged weapon enhancement that will overcome any DR?

Dizlag

Gavinfoxx
2010-11-10, 05:10 PM
A combined, intelligent Belt of...

Dwarvenkind
Many Pockets
Monk's
Camel
Battle
Lions
Priestly Might
Magnificence
Growth
One Mighty Blow
Theft-Healing
Ultimate Athleticism
Gwaeron's
Healing
Ruby Cincture of Immutability
Silkslick
Spare Hand
Wide Earth
Caustic Veil
Cord of Favor

Make sure to improve it per pg 234 of MIC, and... I forget the page of the DMG where it talks about combining magic items, it's fairly close to the back, but read that. Also choose the strongest powers from intelligent items, that's in the SRD, and give it a purpose linked to your character's own purpose (presumably the god associated with the priestly stuff).

dsmiles
2010-11-10, 05:15 PM
No problem. I looked at the brilliant energy weapon ability, but that will just make me a walking torch ... not good for a stealthy rogue. Or does the Angelwing Razor have a "black light" for it's brilliant energy part? Btw, what book is it in?

Back to the ranged weapon idea. Isn't there a "force" ranged weapon enhancement that will overcome any DR?

Dizlag

Angelwing Razor is in BoVD, and isn't brilliant energy. It's a +5 vorpal longsword that ignores all DR and hardness, and can cut through a wall of force (or similar effects).

Dizlag
2010-11-10, 05:21 PM
A combined, intelligent Belt of...

Dwarvenkind
Many Pockets
Monk's
Camel
Battle
Lions
Priestly Might
Magnificence
Growth
One Mighty Blow
Theft-Healing
Ultimate Athleticism
Gwaeron's
Healing
Ruby Cincture of Immutability
Silkslick
Spare Hand
Wide Earth
Caustic Veil
Cord of Favor

Make sure to improve it per pg 234 of MIC, and... I forget the page of the DMG where it talks about combining magic items, it's fairly close to the back, but read that. Also choose the strongest powers from intelligent items, that's in the SRD, and give it a purpose linked to your character's own purpose (presumably the god associated with the priestly stuff).

I know he's letting us choose ANY magic item, any ONE magic item. So, combining everything into one might be seen as cheesy and he lactose intolerant. =)

Putting together reasonable magic items, like the Circlet of Sniper's Shot I put together above is something he'll approve and my character can afford. I was thinking of a +5 undead bane ghost touch (from MIC, able to SA undead) deadly precision (the +2d6 kind from CAdv) of distance shortbow for 200,000gp.

I just asked about the Epic Level Magic Item as a choice and awaiting a response. :smallwink:

Dizlag

Gavinfoxx
2010-11-10, 05:24 PM
Then just use a belt of Magnificence! +6 to all ability scores is awful nice... Also, ask if the 'often combined with other magic items cheaply' table in 234 of MIC is open.

And if you want a bow, consider an Energy Bow as a base to start from, and add things to that...

herrhauptmann
2010-11-10, 05:26 PM
I put ghost touch abilities on my weapons, the ability from MIC.

Ghost touch, AND ghost strike? Or just ghost strike? (that's what the 'synergy' means, you need one before you get the other)

I thought True Seeing sees etheral creatures, i.e. he'll see me if I'm blinking, right? I have a +20 UMD skill, so would fog cloud work in a wand? What will an invisible fog cloud do for me? Will pierce magic concealment work on an invisible fog cloud and make true seeing not work?

So now he can see your ethereal body. You've still got a 20% miss chance, unless he automatically can hit ethereal (magic missile, other force effects).
An invisible fog cloud is almost a gag spell... The spell is invisible, so you can see through it. But he's got true seeing, so he sees what's actually there, which is a fog cloud, which grants everyone concealment from him. Of course your DM might throw something at you.

The lich is an uber-caster with timestop, repulsion, the ring that shares damage with another (not sure what the name of it is), and probably all the insta-kill spells you can think of.
It's in the DMG, based on the spell Shield Other.

I'm run a use-activated continuous Circlet of Sniper's Shot by the DM. Level 1 spell x Level 3 caster x 2000gp x 4 (continous spell with a duration in rounds) = 24,000gp. Then, I could snipe him while blinking from a distance.

I've got a couple rods of cancellation and I've got a UMD score over 20.

Your ghost touch/strike weapon allows you to always attack from the ethereal to the prime material, right? I'm not sure that PMC lets you negate the whole "Not being on the same plane" miss chances

edit: I do believe this was the post where I became an ogre in the playground... No I can't count...

Bugbeartrap
2010-11-10, 05:27 PM
I second the Starmantle cloak. With your high dex and evasion, its like immunity to physical sources of harm!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-11-10, 05:59 PM
An item which: 1) projects a continuous effect of Antimagic Field with the Extraordinary Spell Aim feat applied so the wearer is unaffected; 2) a continuous effect of Ray Deflection; 3) a continuous effect of Superior Invisibility; 4) ten of a continuous effect of Nondetection at caster level 20.

Here's what it does:
1) Your character projects a 10 ft. antimagic field, which does not affect himself or his attended items including weapons. If you reach out to attack something, and your target is standing in the AMF, their magical protections will be suppressed but your weapon will still be magical. If someone standing in the AMF attacks you any magical weapons or attacks (including a Lich's supernatural paralyzing touch) will be suppressed and your magical protections will remain active. According to the Rules Compendium an AMF does not block line of effect for spells, so a caster standing outside the AMF who targets your character or someone on the opposite side of the AMF will not get their spells blocked by it. You get close to him, he cannot magically fly or teleport and he has no magical buffs or contingencies and his magic items are nonfunctional. Once per round, if the AMF is somehow broken it will be immediately restored, so it will take two consecutive successful Disjunctions to bring it down until your next turn, giving your opponents only a tiny window of opportunity to do anything in its absence. Note that Line of Effect tricks will still work regardless.

2) Ray Deflection says all ranged touch attacks automatically miss the warded creature. You cannot be hit by Enervation, Orb of (Energy), Ray of (anything), etc. as they are all ranged touch attacks they will automatically miss you. Any non-melee attack roll which tries to hit your touch AC will automatically miss, no matter what.

3) Superior Invisibility makes you invisible even when you attack, and you are also undetectable by any means of perception short of True Seeing. Blindsight, Blindsense, Scent, Tremorsense, Listen checks, etc. will automatically fail to detect you.

4) Anyone attempting to use a Divination effect against your character, including True Seeing, will have to make ten DC 35 caster level checks for the divination effect to succeed. If even one of those checks fails, their divination effect fails to work on you. If it gets True Seeing as a supernatural ability like many outsiders, it use its hit dice total as the caster level. It has to succeed on all ten of those checks for its True Seeing to work on you. If not, then it has to cast a new True Seeing and roll ten more checks.

If it cannot see you, if you are invisible to its perceptions, then it does not have line of sight for targeted spells which don't make an attack roll, such as Charm, Dominate, Hold, and Power Word spells for example. Such spells cannot be used against you unless the caster can see you. It cannot use ranged touch spells against you. It cannot use melee touch spells against you because it cannot cast inside the AMF. A Lich's capacity to harm your character is reduced to nonmagical physical attacks, which it will have a 50% miss chance on anyway.

Pricing:
1) Continuous Spell Effect: Spell Level (6) x Caster Level (20) x 2,000 gp x 1.5 for 10 min/level duration = 360,000 gp base
2) Continuous Spell Effect: Ray Deflection (4) x Caster Level (20) x 2,000 gp x 2 for 1 min/level duration = 320,000 gp base
3) Continuous Spell Effect: Spell Level (8) x Caster Level (20) x 2,000 gp x 2 for 1 min/level duration = 640,000 gp base
4) Continuous Spell Effect: Spell Level (3) x Caster Level (20) x 2,000 gp x 10 number of effects = 1,200,000 gp base
Multiple Different Abilities (DMG p282): Highest cost ability is unchanged, each additional property is added at +50% cost, so 1,200,000 gp + (640,000 + 320,000 + 360,000)x1.5 = 3,180,000 gp total
Note that nothing qualifies this as an epic item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/basics.htm).

Dizlag
2010-11-10, 05:59 PM
Then just use a belt of Magnificence! +6 to all ability scores is awful nice... Also, ask if the 'often combined with other magic items cheaply' table in 234 of MIC is open.

And if you want a bow, consider an Energy Bow as a base to start from, and add things to that...

The Belt of Magnificence is pretty nice, agreed!

What book is Energy Bow out of?

Ghost touch, AND ghost strike? Or just ghost strike? (that's what the 'synergy' means, you need one before you get the other)

Ooo, missed that one. I'll have to fix it on my new weapons.

Your ghost touch/strike weapon allows you to always attack from the ethereal to the prime material, right? I'm not sure that PMC lets you negate the whole "Not being on the same plane" miss chances

We've been ruling that the PMC negates the miss chance of blinking for my character. I didn't realize the ghost touch needed to be on the weapon with ghost strike, so since it really makes PMC obsolete I could ask the DM for a retraining / fix for the character. Thanks for letting me know!

Dizlag

ericgrau
2010-11-10, 06:12 PM
Just some more random options:

Mirror of opposition :P
Celestial armor. There's an epic version too.
Major ring of spell storing
Ring of spell turning
If you have a +20 in Use Magic Device: kamikaze the BBEG with a staff of power
SR is highly underrated. Decent SR stops 50% of SR: yes spells, and most friendly spells that might target you are best cast outside of combat anyway. Plus there are other easy ways around it like potions or UMD a staff of life or etc. SR from magic items is usually overpriced. But in your case the item is free. If you can manage an SR of at least 10 + the lich's caster level, it may be worth it. You could make builds to cheese around SR, but monsters / DMs usually don't.

herrhauptmann
2010-11-10, 07:14 PM
We've been ruling that the PMC negates the miss chance of blinking for my character. I didn't realize the ghost touch needed to be on the weapon with ghost strike, so since it really makes PMC obsolete I could ask the DM for a retraining / fix for the character. Thanks for letting me know!

Dizlag
No worries, I did the same thing, with Holy surge but didn't have holy. Couldn't figure out why it was both better, and cheaper initially.
The mageslayer line is still plenty good you know... It helps with everything else. Blur, mirror image, etc. And PMP, when I got that for a warrior, I had a few people complaining that PMP was overpowered (melee can't have nice things)

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-11-11, 12:36 AM
There's more ways of getting sneak attacks than surprise, my friend. Allow me to introduce to you Assassin's Stance's little brother, Island of Blades. Flank from any direction, as long as any of your allies is also threatening him.

Failing that, Adaptable Flanker is also a solid choice. See if you can get one or the other available in item form for you to use to increase your sneak attacking potential. Also, getting a way to pounce, on top of a way to apply sneak attack damage, is a good way to get a one-round KO.

You're going to be dealing with DR 15/Magic AND bludgeoning. Which means, for this fight, you're wanting something BLUNT. I'd suggest finding some light maces with Collision on them. Doing lots of hits does you little good of none of them do much damage. DR is wicked bad against TWFers, since it applies to each individual hit. An option might be to get an enchantment on your weapons to make them be considered Bludgeoning to bypass this problem, or some way to emulate Shards of Granite to bypass DR.

Will save isn't so bad to shore up, it's called Protection from Evil, which suppresses most will saves.

Fort is a bigger problem, and worse, it's a higher level maneuver. Mind Over Body replaces Fort save with Concentration check, but it's a 3rd level maneuver. And it's a lot more difficult to find a blanket immunity for as well.