PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Binding a Pit Fiend at lvl 5

Bugbeartrap
2010-11-10, 04:52 PM
Backstory
So I'm a witch in Rise of the Runelords campaign, fluffed as a Chelaxian Devilbinder. The prestige class Diabolist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/diabolist) looked fitting but I don't get access to Planarbinding/ally until much later than lvl 5. Being the cool guy he is, he says he'll work it into the story. Next thing I know, the cultists we defeat have the true name of a Pit Fiend!

I never expected to have to bind such a powerful fiend, but I cannot resist!
So now that I have the true name, I purchased a scroll of Greater Planar Binding and of Dimensional Anchor; I also know Magic Circle against Evil.

It seems the only way for him to break free is rolling a 20 on opposed CHA check (from CHA buff, circlet of persuasion, Class feature). However, I can't find anything preventing him from nuking the place with his abilities, even if it won't free him. I have an imp familiar with which I plan to negotiate through (immune to fire). I can cast protection from evil on him to prevent his mind-affecting abilities (or does the diagram do that already?). And I plan on having the imp 50ft away and invisible to aviod the worst of meteor swarm and trap the soul.

Is there anything further I can do? Have I missed anything?

Psyren
2010-11-10, 05:17 PM
Pit Fiends have SR 32, which means he can try (and likely succeed) to break out of the circle the instant he arrives. At level 5, you have zero chance of holding him (or 5% - do natural 20s work on beating SR? I forget.) Regardless, I would wait if I were you.

Bugbeartrap
2010-11-10, 05:19 PM
Except the calling diagram part of magic circle when coupled with dimensional anchor does not allow him to test with SR or teleport.

Edit: yes the wisdom of actually doing this is... suspect. But its in character and how can I resist when I could succeed?

Psyren
2010-11-10, 05:25 PM
Ah I missed that clause.

What's your Spellcraft at?

Bugbeartrap
2010-11-10, 05:29 PM
Its at +13 regularly, but I can get it to 16 easy, we just got XP to level to 6 but I'm holding off cuz I want to enter this prestige class as early as possible (tho I guess I could retrain *mumble mumble*).

Also, this is essentially what my character has grown up learning about. She worships Asmodeus, for corn's sake.

Psyren
2010-11-10, 05:37 PM
+13 is fine, take 10 drawing the circle and you've beat the DC 20. So your anchor will work to hold him.

Now your biggest problem is what he can do. The spell only prevents him from disturbing the circle; he can do anything besides that. In fact, his spells/ranged attacks can explicitly cross the circles bounds.

Sounds like you're evil, so you don't have to worry about Blasphemy. His fear aura will be a problem (it's twice as large as the circle) which might panic your imp and make it disturb the silver. Why are you summoning him anyway?

Bugbeartrap
2010-11-10, 05:46 PM
Well, at first it was any evil outsider to meet a prereq, but the DM threw me this curve ball. My character would probably summon him to get back at her cousin who stole the throne. This is mostly for story reasons, I guess, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't ensuring my inevitable death, just a most likely death.:smallwink:

Edit: You bring up a good point. We're playing RotRL which is 3.5 but with characters and some conversions to Pathfinder. I've been preparting to fight a Pathfinder Pit fiend (which has no aura). I will consult my DM about which version we will use.