PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Bebop D20 Future

DoctorHobo
2010-11-10, 07:50 PM
First I should state that this isn't a recruitment thread (obviously I would have put it in the right place if it was). Rather, I'm looking for opinions on a campaign setting from other Playgrounders who've either run their own Cowboy Bebop campaign or are just generally familiar enough with the show and with D20 Future to have an idea of how to put it together.

It's obvious that the Warp Gate disaster crippled technological growth in some areas, but others continue on. In world where travel through the solar system is reliable and present, and civilians have access to personal spacecraft, firearms haven't seem to progressed past what people can get their hands on now. Because of this, I'm having difficulty setting it in any PL or another, and have decided instead to go with what is obvious, mixing the PL.

What tech is available in Cowboy Bebop? What equivalents might I find in D20 Future?

Knightofvictory
2010-11-11, 03:15 AM
I'd say 90% of what you need to run Cowboy Bebop d20 could be pulled out of core d20 modern (spaceships aside). The series loves "vintage" guns and melee weapons, lasers are a complete NO, so limit armor and weapons to core. Most of the 'tech' in the series is pretty standard also, the main three things I think you would need to account for that would be beyond a mere 'modern' setting are bionic limbs, genetically manipulated humans, and super-computers (holo-net).

Some of the classes in the Future d20 seem like they would fit very well in that series also, Ed is clearly a Technosavant, and any of the Bebop crew might have a level or two of Tracer. I'd stick mostly to d20 modern though, drawing in only the future prestige classes and spaceship rules, and from there just pick out other bits and pieces that feel right or cool.

Ravens_cry
2010-11-11, 06:41 AM
And don't forget data dogs. Not a big part of the show in and of itself, but certainly part of the universe at large. One problem one might find is that many things were shown, rather then told, with relatively little expospeak. This is an excellent story telling technique, but leaves little explanation for the whys and wherefores if you want to 'get of the rails', as rpg players are wont to do. For example, why is that moon terraformed and earth temperature? That is some serious tech right there, not to mention the gates.

DoctorHobo
2010-11-11, 03:18 PM
Most of the 'tech' in the series is pretty standard also, the main three things I think you would need to account for that would be beyond a mere 'modern' setting are bionic limbs, genetically manipulated humans, and super-computers (holo-net).

That's right! I'd entirely forgotten they had bionics. Spike himself had a bionic eye. Well, thanks for the excellent tips, the two of you, I think I've got what I need.

grarrrg
2010-11-11, 03:52 PM
That's right! I'd entirely forgotten they had bionics. Spike himself had a bionic eye. Well, thanks for the excellent tips, the two of you, I think I've got what I need.

Wait, you forgot they had bionics, and the first thing you remember when they're brought up is the EYE??
Dude, Jet had a freak'n bionic ARM.

DoctorHobo
2010-11-11, 04:06 PM
He did indeed.

Dralnu
2010-11-11, 04:13 PM
They also have some advanced drugs. Bloody Eye drug from Season 1 has a pretty big effect on the user.

grarrrg
2010-11-11, 06:20 PM
In world where travel through the solar system is reliable and present, and civilians have access to personal spacecraft, firearms haven't seem to progressed past what people can get their hands on now. Because of this, I'm having difficulty setting it in any PL or another, and have decided instead to go with what is obvious, mixing the PL.

What tech is available in Cowboy Bebop? What equivalents might I find in D20 Future?

Bebop does have a lot of the typical "Spaceships, Laser guns, energy shields etc..." that Sci-Fi usually has, the main difference is that in the Bebop universe most of this tech is still 'emerging', i.e. VERY expensive.
Projectile Launchers (hand guns) are cheap, proven, and, apparently, no one has improved 'body armor' enough that it matters. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Spike used to be a big man in orgaized crime, that's how he could afford his eye. Jet used to be a policeman, that's probably how he could afford his arm (although it is an 'old model').

Not sure how they could initially afford the Bebop and their personal ships, but you will note that they ARE perpetually broke, a good chunk of the income being spent on upkeep.

As for the Lasers and Shields, one of the few Lasers we see is the main gun on Spike's ship, which takes a long time to recharge. And the only Shield I remember off-hand (it's been a while) is the one the crazy Pierre Le Fou had, and he was FULL of "prototype" grade stuff.

Basically, all the tech is there, it's just a matter of $$. The average Civilian probably just owns a hover-(or standard)-car, and takes intrasystem trips the same way we fly on planes.

Bloody Eye was also mentioned. Maybe "replace" casters with 'Users'. Bloody eye GREATLY improves reaction time, and probably provides a small Strength/Agility boost.
Your addiction rates may vary.

DoctorHobo
2010-11-11, 06:36 PM
Additionally, I'd probably want to get rid of the wealth system, right? It's supposed to deal with a regular job and regular bills and such, but if I'm running a Cowboy Bebop campaign, everyone's going to want to be a bounty hunter (and rightly so). Similar to the show, we'd have a ship to keep up and food to worry about, but no bills per se, and the only source of income would be bounties. Anyone know what the wealth bonus to dollar to woolong ratio is? Haha.

Gametime
2010-11-11, 10:24 PM
If you really want to abstract the wealth system, you could just classify bounties as either "small fries" or "big catches." The exact value of the bounty isn't as important as whether it'll allow them to just barely scrape by or actually purchase some new equipment, etc.

Maybe use something similar to Exalted's handling of wealth, where you have a certain level of wealth that allows you access to everything below that level. A big bounty would boost them up to the next level.

Dralnu
2010-11-12, 03:20 PM
You should definitely let them have some sort of wealth so they can purchase items that they want. Purchasing phat lewt and customizing is a big draw in all RPGs. Heck, they might even be interested in ship upgrades and stuff like that. Just tax them for upkeep on all their equipment.

I think a good way to start would be for them not having all the luxuries the main characters of the show have. The first mission could involve stealing the BBEG's ship as part of their getaway and calling it their own! "Milennium Bebop"

Lev
2010-11-12, 03:30 PM
Spelljammers.