PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted] The Heresy Keyword (from the Broken-Winged Crane)

Leliel
2010-11-10, 08:58 PM
Let me just say this to all the people that argued that Infernal Rebellion was impossible for so very, very, long...

AH-HA! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_4bLNM0axE)

Seriously, these Charms are awesome.

There's one for cutting your tie to Lilun and allowing your Exaltation to give the Second Breath to people with Solar potential, there's one for transferring your Limit to the Yozis, there's one for becoming a brand-new Primordial with none of the faults associated...

Lets just say the path of the rouge just got a lot brighter.

Here's the link. (http://flamesrising.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=85732)

Tengu_temp
2010-11-10, 09:35 PM
Rouge, eh?

Okay, where can we find those things exactly?

Leliel
2010-11-10, 09:43 PM
Rouge, eh?

Okay, where can we find those things exactly?

Sorry I forgot the link.

Here you go. Nice Kimbery Charms too. (http://flamesrising.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=85732)

SurlySeraph
2010-11-10, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure Infernals *should* have Charms designed exclusively for rebelling with. I mean, there's only 50 of them, presumably 10 per caste. What are the Yozis supposed to do if they can't make their own Exalts do what they want? Throw their souls at Creation until it breaks?

Also, I'd definitely like to hear more detail on the charm for becoming a Primordial. What's the Essence requirement for it? Do a bunch of Third Circle Demons spontaneously come into being to become your souls, or do you have to bind them and steal them from someone else?

The Rose Dragon
2010-11-11, 02:49 AM
To elaborate, they can't become new Primordials without becoming Yozis. What they can become is a human-Exalt-Primordial hybrid that transfers its nature to the following hosts of the same Exaltation.

Also, we have a thread for all Exalted discussion, you know.

Leliel
2010-11-11, 07:03 AM
I'm not sure Infernals *should* have Charms designed exclusively for rebelling with. I mean, there's only 50 of them, presumably 10 per caste. What are the Yozis supposed to do if they can't make their own Exalts do what they want? Throw their souls at Creation until it breaks?

Presumably. Part of the theme for the Yozis is that they have good ideas, but no clue how to implement them. It's why they have to rely on the Ebon Dragon so much.

Also, I'd definitely like to hear more detail on the charm for becoming a Primordial. What's the Essence requirement for it? Do a bunch of Third Circle Demons spontaneously come into being to become your souls, or do you have to bind them and steal them from someone else?

As the Rose Dragon said, Triumphant Scream of the Devil-Tiger and the tree that grows from it technically makes you a hybrid of Titan and human-immortal and capable of growing new souls, but with none of the loss of perspective and ingenuity that would otherwise entail.

Xefas
2010-11-12, 05:05 PM
Just got the Broken Winged Crane (I know I'm two days late). I haven't even gotten through the hearthstones yet, and I'm already weeping.
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad91/bluejanus/cit_FotNS_-_manly_tears.png

I don't know what'll happen when I finally get to these charms everyone is talking about. I might have an aneurysm of love. My aorta may become engorged with so much love, that it ruptures, filling my entire body with pure happiness (and then killing me shortly after).

Which, actually, strikes me as a not entirely unlikely occurrence for a character reading the artifact Broken Winged Crane.

The Tygre
2010-11-13, 01:25 AM
This is my 'Yay Transhumanism' dance. I'm doing it;

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/2299/1285286510415.gif

Xefas
2010-11-13, 02:09 AM
This is my 'Yay Transhumanism' dance. I'm doing it;
Mine
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad91/bluejanus/sokka.gif

Overall, I'm shocked. I'm awed. It's all amazing (Except for Scale-Shedding Solution; wtf was that?! I think that was only half a charm. They meant to put some awesome effect at the end while you have those black flames around you and just forgot. Gotta be.) and it was only $5. Probably the best $5 I've ever spent.

My one disappointment was that I kept reading the Heresy charms, and thinking "Alright, it's coming. The next charm after this one is going to be the one with Swallowing the Scorpion as a prerequisite where you lose your Infernal shard and you become fully independent. All your power is your own, and you're a true god-damn primordial. A tiny primordial, sure, but you don't need some pissant shard giving you power anymore. Nope...I guess it'll be the next charm. Nope...I guess the next one." I true and honestly believed, with 100% certainty, there would be a charm like that towards the end. There had to be. It was too perfect. It was what they were working towards the entire time.

But there wasn't...

Still. Best Exalted book ever. Best $5 value ever. Infernals were my favorite since I opened their Manual, and now they're like...my double favorite.

Kyeudo
2010-11-13, 03:01 AM
But there wasn't...

Once an Exaltation has welded itself to your soul, nothing can rip it out without killing you. The Primordials tried it during the Primordial War and got nowhere.

Xefas
2010-11-13, 03:29 AM
Once an Exaltation has welded itself to your soul, nothing can rip it out without killing you.

Unless something can. As far as I know, these Heresy charms are new ground. They're progressing forward in ways that Creation has never seen before.

It'd be like telling someone from the 12th century that it was impossible for man to travel to the moon. Sure, at that time, there wasn't a way. It would've been ludicrous to the average person to even consider the feat as possible. But we progress. And, we're not even endowed with magic macguffins specifically designed to endow us with infinite potential. The creatures we're talking about are.

Now, of course, it'd be strange to suddenly have a multitude of ways to suck Exaltations in and out of people. But, if an Essence 10 charm that no one knows about, that theoretically exists at the end of a huge chain of charms that no one in Creation would believe as possible even if you told them about it exists that allows you to dig your own shard out (and no one else's, nor manipulate it in any further way), I don't think it's cause for alarm.

Kyeudo
2010-11-13, 03:38 AM
The thing that always bugs me about this "get rid of my Exaltation" thing is the question of "Why?" An Exalt is the single greatest type of being to be in the setting. A Solar is superior to Sol Invictus in almost all ways conceivable once they reach Essence 10. The only flaws they suffer are caused by the death curse of the Neverborn.

A Green Sun Prince is probably the pinnacle of possibilities within the setting. They have all the might of a fallen Primordial, yet they are greater than the Yozis because they can become more than what any one of the Yozis are. They can stretch their might in whatsoever direction they choose and act as saviors or Sephiroth as they will. Why would you want to give that up and become locked into being just one thing? Why shed the fragment of power that is the vehicle of your transcendence?

Xefas
2010-11-13, 03:47 AM
A Green Sun Prince is probably the pinnacle of possibilities within the setting. They have all the might of a fallen Primordial, yet they are greater than the Yozis because they can become more than what any one of the Yozis are. They can stretch their might in whatsoever direction they choose and act as saviors or Sephiroth as they will. Why would you want to give that up and become locked into being just one thing? Why shed the fragment of power that is the vehicle of your transcendence?

Sometimes we don't always take the optimal decision. Sometimes successful, embarrassingly rich neurosurgeons decide to drop out of society and become goat herders and make cheese in a cave for a living (I've met her, she sells goat cheese on sundays at the farmer's market near my house).

From a character perspective, maybe they aren't aware that their shard could take them farther, and they think becoming a primordial would be a step up, even though they're wrong. Maybe they're dissatisfied with themselves, and don't care about personal power. Their fantasy is to be a transhuman entity bound by all the weaknesses a creature such as a primordial or Yozi might have (there are weirder fetishes). Maybe the idea of Limit/Torment pisses them off in an irrational way and getting rid of the shard is the only way to shirk it.

From a player perspective...well, maybe they want to play a character fitting one of the above examples. Maybe they just think the idea of being a Primordial is cool, and don't care that it's a downgrade.

The Rose Dragon
2010-11-13, 08:28 AM
Once an Exaltation has welded itself to your soul, nothing can rip it out without killing you. The Primordials tried it during the Primordial War and got nowhere.

Several things can, but all are voluntary. They include becoming one of the Incarnae and becoming a Primordial.

golentan
2010-11-13, 10:10 AM
Okay, having now gotten broken winged crane: Awesome. I find infernals more interesting again. Part of that may have to do with my creepy obsession with oceans, but still. *weeps tears of joy.*

Also, anyone find it weird that Path of a Thousand Whispers allows you to create third circle souls for yourself that are higher essence than you?

The Rose Dragon
2010-11-13, 10:13 AM
Also, anyone find it weird that Path of a Thousand Whispers allows you to create third circle souls for yourself that are higher essence than you?

Not really. At Essence 8, if you can't defeat any Third Circle demon in combat or surpass them in your field of expertise, something's wrong with you. Higher Essence doesn't necessarily mean more power.

golentan
2010-11-13, 10:18 AM
Not really. At Essence 8, if you can't defeat any Third Circle demon in combat or surpass them in your field of expertise, something's wrong with you. Higher Essence doesn't necessarily mean more power.

I didn't say it was overpowered, I said it was weird. It breaks the typical flow in spirit hierarchies we see in exalted.

Then again, what transcendent infernal doesn't? Poor infernals. "Ascend or Die."

The Rose Dragon
2010-11-13, 10:29 AM
Then again, what transcendent infernal doesn't? Poor infernals. "Ascend or Die."

Alternately, keep raising your Essence. Sure, you'll live shorter than Solars, but considering Solars can live for several millennia, that's not necessarily a terrible thing.

Or get a Stone of Immortality. Or figure out a way to become an Abyssal.