PDA

View Full Version : Epic Sorcerer Question

Crow
2010-11-10, 09:10 PM
I was just looking at the d20 SRD and noticed that epic sorcerers may choose Automatic Quicken Spell as a bonus feat.

Now as I understand it, there is no way for sorcerers to cast quickened spells within the SRD.

What does this mean? Editing error?

Marnath
2010-11-10, 09:13 PM
It means that a sorceror's spells of a given level will be quickened without having to use metamagic. Pretty sure it's legit, as long as you don't mind wasting a feat on quicken spell first.

Psyren
2010-11-10, 09:16 PM
If you want to get technical, nothing actually stops a core Sorcerer from taking Quickened Spell; he just can't apply it. (Not without the usual workarounds anyway.)

After all, you could be planning to multiclass to Wizard at some point.

Marnath
2010-11-10, 09:20 PM
If you want to get technical, nothing actually stops a core Sorcerer from taking Quickened Spell; he just can't apply it. (Not without the usual workarounds anyway.)

After all, you could be planning to multiclass to Wizard at some point.

And if you wanted to be really pendantic, you can say a sorceror can use quicken to reduce the spell time, and then the time goes back up due to metamagic time increase. :smallbiggrin:

gbprime
2010-11-10, 09:41 PM
You could also say that Sorcerers make a great party "face" because of their charisma score... and near total lack of social skills and skill points. Thank you, WotC.

Psyren
2010-11-10, 09:43 PM
You could also say that Sorcerers make a great party "face" because of their charisma score... and near total lack of social skills and skill points. Thank you, WotC.

But they can Bluff! That's something, right? :smallwink:

Actually, depending on your party makeup the Sorcerer might really be the best man for that job.

Godskook
2010-11-10, 09:50 PM

Bluff is a social skill, disguise can be mostly done with magic, and diplomacy DCs are set DCs and are easy to make after bluffing your way into the most friendly relationship. Most non-mortal-enemies should start, at worst case, indifferent to the sorcerer, and to make them helpful is a DC 30 check. That's not too hard to make for a primary Cha caster build.

Runestar
2010-11-11, 02:40 AM
I was just looking at the d20 SRD and noticed that epic sorcerers may choose Automatic Quicken Spell as a bonus feat.

Now as I understand it, there is no way for sorcerers to cast quickened spells within the SRD.

What does this mean? Editing error?

It just means that you have to "waste" a feat on quicken spell (the epic handbook even admits this up front). They can cast quickened spells, they just can't achieve this via metamagic feats.