PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Guard: Mission to the Mountains.

Devmaar
2010-11-11, 11:11 AM
You have been summoned to the office of the Grey Warden, leader of the Hidden Guard. On arrival you are shown to a seat, with 4 other people. Two more arrive before the meeting begins. The people in the room when the Warden enters are:
Maedrinal; an elf from the South (gray elf), said to have the skills for any situation
Gregor, one of only three Dwarves in the guard, considered tough and strong by the Dwarves and seen as a skilled swordsman by the elves, a formidable warrior
Andarel, an exceptionally skilled elven archer, can harness the power of her mind to aid her in combat. A crystalline spider sits on her shoulder
Raderlai, another elf, the only other you think could match you in both magic and physical combat
Ballimor, a half-elf who developed magical abilities in his teens and has been honing them ever since
Emmrazahl, you know little about this Drow, he is said to be a master swordsman, although many distrust him due to his heritage.
You, the least experienced in the room, and the one who has been with the guard the shortest time

Thank you for being here so promptly speaks the warden, you have heard that in his day he was considered on of the finest duskblades of all time, I'm sure you are aware of the rumours being discussed around the city. I'm afraid there is an element of truth to them. It seems likely that an Adderanian* invasion force is massing beyond the Eastern mountains. We also fear that they may have formed an alliance with the gnomes of Forzalon, who could attack us from the south. at this, Maedrinal, who had seemed more focused on a piece of paper he was folding intricately in his hands looks up. Obviously, a double invasion could be catastrophic, it is our duty therefore to ensure we are as prepared for war as possible. The seven of you have each been hand-picked for a specific task because you are the best at what you do.
Gregor, you must head to the fort at the Mahl Stra pass, and hold it against the Adderanian army.
Andarel, Ballimor, you must move south, try and convince the gnomes not to attack us, and lead the fight against them if there is no other choice.
Maedrinal, the Empress of Adderania is a powerful figurehead for their army, as well a tactically and strategically skilled commander. If she were killed, it would certainly tip the balance of war in our favour. If you cannot do this, none can.
Emmrazahl, Mordecai, Raderlai, you must each head to one of the three Fabled Towers. The magic of these towers has always been the strongest part of our nation's defence, but now we fear they may be compromised. Upon reaching your tower, you must ensure that he crystal at its top is functioning. If you find enemy forces there, slay them. Once you have secured the tower and confirmed its readiness, wait there, and guard it until you receive further instructions.

If you have no questions, I would ask you to leave now and attend to your tasks as expediently as you can.

>>>If you have a question to ask, ask it and ignore the next bit.<<<
The seven stand to leave the room. Maedrinal exits quickly, without speaking to, or looking at, anyone, but he leaves an origami lotus flower on the Warden's desk. Gregor mutters something in his native tongue as he leaves. Ballimor grabs Andarel's arm, mutters a few short syllables, mutters a few short syllables, and the two of them disappear. Emmrazahl shakes his head and whispers to himself in a tongue unfamiliar to you as he leaves. Raderlai flashes you a grin as he leaves the room, Luck of the gods be with you, friend.

*Ancestral enemies of Madlinaer, the nation you call home.

Ryuk01
2010-11-11, 06:22 PM
Mordecai gives a small nod to Raderlai, "May Pelor's light illuminate your path, friend." Before leaving the office, Mordecai bows respectfully to the Grey Warden. He speaks in a confident voice, "Odin and I will not fail you." Without another word, Mordecai leaves the building, preparing to stock up on several items in the market before adventuring to the 2nd Fabled Tower. He hefts his money pouch and enters a Magic Item Store.

OOC:Are the following items available?
2 Blessed Bandages
Scroll of Charm Person
Sunrod
Smokestick

Devmaar
2010-11-11, 06:31 PM
Yes. Also, to civilians, members of the Hidden Guard appear to be regular soldier's of the King's Guard. As such people generally have good first impressions of you, and you are frequently offered preferential treatment.

Hello Sir smiles the an Elf in the store How can I be of service?

Ryuk01
2010-11-11, 07:13 PM
"I'm are going to be out adventuring for a little while," Mordecai responds with a friendly smile, "so I'll need some items. How much would 2 blessed bandages, a scroll of charm person, a sunrod, and a smokestick cost?"

Devmaar
2010-11-12, 09:41 AM
The woman fetches the items as you list them.
That will be 60 gold pieces, sir. Is there anything else?

Ryuk01
2010-11-12, 07:40 PM
The duskblade hands the lady 6 platinum pieces. "No, I have all I need. Thank you." Mordecai exits the store, and jogs down the streets. After a brief conversation with the guards at the main gate, he leaves the town. Mordecai takes in a deep breath as he relishes the fresh air of the outdoors. He sighs and fixes his eyes upon the town with such intensity, taking in and memorizing every little detail of it; it is going to be a long time before he returns. Mordecai spins his heel and walks down the path, prepared for the long trek that would lead him to battle.

After ten minutes of walking, Mordecai whispers a few incantations. A winged creature with crystalline flesh materializes in front of Mordecai. Its bleary red eyes fix upon Mordecai with friendship. "Hi Mordecai," Odin spoke in its baritone voice, "Ready for the Fabled Tower?" Mordecai looked at his only true friend with a grin, "May the gods have mercy upon the Adderanians."
"Why?"
"Because I won't."
With a chuckle, the duo start a light conversation and enjoy each others company as they head on towards their destination.

Devmaar
2010-11-12, 07:46 PM
There are two routes you can take to the mountains:

You could pass through the Forest of Gwaeron, patrolled by by an ancient order of Druids and their ilk. There is no enmity between your people and the Druids, but no strong friendship either.

Alternatively, you could take a route South, across the Maerlinn river before cutting back across the Northern edge of the Karaz flat. The river is known to be home to pirates and the flats are treacherous terrain to cross, this is the quickest route though.

Ryuk01
2010-11-12, 08:37 PM
"We need to stop the invasion force as soon as possible," Mordecai says to Odin as they approach the fork, "We are already behind. Let's take the route south."

"I agree. Onwards!"

Devmaar
2010-11-12, 08:48 PM
The first day off travel passes uneventfully and you spend the night in a roadside inn. Around noon on the second day, you come into sight of the river.

Something is wrong.

The little jetty where a group of gnomes used to make a living ferrying people across the river is deserted and the boats are up on the shore. It's hard to be sure from this distance but they look broken.

Ryuk01
2010-11-12, 09:04 PM
Mordecai moves up to the boats for closer examination.

Devmaar
2010-11-13, 06:24 PM
Sure enough the boats have been broken. There are signs that a fight happened here and then Odin calls from behind a boat,

Mordecai. I think you should look at this.

Odin has found the dead body of the gnome who ran the ferry service.

Ryuk01
2010-11-14, 10:27 AM
Mordecai gasps at the sight of the corpse. He feels the body, searching for signs of how the gnome was killed and how recently he died.

Devmaar
2010-11-14, 12:59 PM
There is a jagged hole in the gnome's back as well as numerous other minor wounds. You guess the body has been here since some time in the early morning.

Ryuk01
2010-11-14, 07:36 PM
Mordecai curses. "Must've been the pirates who killed this gnome. Without boats, how will we get across the Maerlinn River?"

"We could always go back and take the other route."

"No, we have gotten this far, we cannot backtrack. Time is limited. There has to be a way. Could you fly me over?"

OOC:Could Odin carry Mordecai and fly him over?

Devmaar
2010-11-14, 08:21 PM
OOC: Yes, I didn't think of that :smallsmile:

I think I can manage that.

With some effort, Odin successfully carries you across the river.
Now only the hazardous Karaz Flat lies between you and the mountains.

Ryuk01
2010-11-14, 09:01 PM
OOC: At first, I had a really nice idea. In the SRD it says "A master and his familiar can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the familiar’s type (magical beast)." I was planning to cast Enlarge Person on Odin to make him medium and have him fly me over, but there was a flaw in my plan: I don't have the Strength domain, so Enlarge Person isn't on my spell list. So I settled with this idea.

Mordecai looks at Odin with some concern, but Odin waves him off. "I'm fine, I'm fine. However, YOU sir, need a diet, or I am never doing that again."

Mordecai laughs and moves on. Although he seems relaxed as he converses, his eyes constantly dart back and forth, searching the path for any dangers.

Ryuk01
2010-11-15, 07:16 PM
Does Mordecai encounter anything as he travels across the Karaz Flat?

Devmaar
2010-11-15, 07:24 PM
Sorry, missed your edit.

Shortly after reaching the flats, Odin pulls up sharply,
Did you hear that?
You didn't. You can't see anything either.

Roll initiative.

Ryuk01
2010-11-15, 07:48 PM
Odin: [roll0]
Mordecai: [roll1]

Devmaar
2010-11-15, 07:56 PM
Mordecai acts first, the river is 30' to your left, otherwise you are on a flat featureless plain.

Ryuk01
2010-11-15, 08:05 PM
Mordecai casts true strike on himself and then swift invisibility. He moves 10 feet to the left, and then 10 feet backwards.

Devmaar
2010-11-15, 08:21 PM
An ogre appears, as if from nowhere, and swings its club at Odin. It misses narrowly and the club thuds into the ground, Mordecai can feel the power of the swing from where he stands.

Odin's go, then Mordecai again

Ryuk01
2010-11-15, 08:33 PM
Odin, taking advantage of the off-balanced ogre, swings his greatsword at him.
Mordecai flanks from behind and channels a shocking grasp into his glaive as he power attacks from 10-feet away.

Odin:
Attack:[roll0]
[roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
[roll3]

Mordecai:
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Shocking Grasp: [roll6]

Devmaar
2010-11-16, 01:40 PM
Odin swings his blade, cutting deep into the Ogre's flesh.
Mordecai moves quickly into position, skilfully striking the Ogre with both blade and magic.

The Ogre roars.
It swings its club at Mordecai, slamming hard into his side (32 damage) before swinging again at Odin and missing.

Your turn again

Ryuk01
2010-11-16, 07:17 PM
Mordecai grunts from the punishing blow he took from the ogre. Grimacing from the attack, he moves so that he is standing next to Odin. Mordecai quick-casts another True Strike, imbuing both him and Odin with a green aura. His glaive, shining with a bright radiance, swings in a deadly arc at the ogre's head as Odin cleaves with his greatsword. (Arcane channeled another shocking grasp).

Mordecai:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Shocking Grasp: [roll2]

Odin:
Attack: [roll3]
[roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
[roll6]

Devmaar
2010-11-17, 07:05 PM
These further attacks fell the ogre.
800 xp

Ryuk01
2010-11-17, 07:27 PM
Mordecai clasps his thigh in pain and touches a broad leather belt that is studded with 3 moon stones. He touches two of them and gives a sigh of bliss as divine energy heals his wound. Odin, sharing an empathic link with Mordecai, smiles with pleasure, and moves towards the dead ogre to search its still-warm body. Odin informs Mordecai of his findings.

Healing: [roll0]
OOC: Yay! XP! I'm hoping for good treasure. Was this an ogre barbarian?

Devmaar
2010-11-18, 05:51 PM
Aside from his armour and weapon, plus an intricately carved ring, the ogre has nothing of interest.

Ryuk01
2010-11-18, 09:37 PM
Mordecai pulls out glass lenses rimmed with gold (Artificer's Monocles) and wears them, studying the items with a careful eye. With a slight wave of the hand followed by an incantation, Mordecai casts detect magic upon the item and uses his knowledge of the arcane to determine the properties of the ring, the armor, and the weapon. After 3 minutes of concentration pass, Mordecai identifies the abilities of the items.

Devmaar
2010-11-19, 10:53 AM
+1 Leather Armour
+1 Greatclub
+1 Ring of Deflection

Ryuk01
2010-11-21, 01:22 PM
After informing Odin of his discovery and putting on the Ring of Deflection, Mordecai says, "We can keep the leather armor and the great club and sell them for a good price at the next village."

"We only walked a little bit across the Flats before encountering that ogre. Is this place a habitat for giants? That could lead to trouble. "

"Maybe. But this guy was solitary, so he may just be preying on travelers."

"He was invisible! He didn't have magic items that turn him invisible, so a spellcaster must have casted invisibility on him. Most likely an ogre mage!"

"You're right. Although he could have had a potion. If he didn't we may have a clue on the situation in this area."

"We don't have any time to waste talking. Let's get to the Tower as fast as possible."

EDIT: Mordecai and Odin march on through the Karaz Flats with their eyes on the looming mountains ahead of them.

Devmaar
2010-11-23, 05:29 PM
OOC: Judging by your response I'm not sure I was clear, the ogre didn't just sneak up on you, he literally appeared out of thin air (he was invisible).

Ryuk01
2010-11-23, 06:24 PM
OOC: Thanks for clarifying. Editted my post.

Ryuk01
2010-11-25, 01:29 PM
Any encounters/villages/things worth noticing as Mordecai travels to the mountains, Devmaar?

Devmaar
2010-11-25, 01:35 PM
Oops, thought I'd posted, sorry :smallredface:

Shortly after encountering the ogre another appears before you.

Rather than attack, this one speaks to you:
You killed my brother.

His demeanour is calm, he is merely stating a fact.

Ryuk01
2010-11-25, 04:03 PM
Mordecai takes a step back at the sudden appearance of this new individual. He adopts a surprised tone and responds slowly and carefully, "Oh, hello. Who are you? Was your brother important to you?" Standing still beside Mordecai, Odin readies an action to cast glitterdust if the ogre does any threatening moves.

Devmaar
2010-11-30, 07:12 PM
I'm really sorry about all the posting delays. Real life happened but I should be able to pick it up from now on.

Yes. Yes he was.

I will remember you.

With that the ogre dissipates into a cloud of smoke and drifts away.

Ryuk01
2010-12-01, 10:36 PM
Mordecai shivers. That encounter with him gave the duskblade a strange, almost mysterious feeling. He looks at Odin with an eyebrow raised questioningly. Odin just replies, "Let's go. There's not much we can do about him. Just watch out for more ogres."

They set off once again, each silently brooding thoughts about that particular ogre.

It's okay, I'm just thankful you're back. I've had many games where the DM left without a word. Glad that we can continue this campaign. :smallsmile:

Devmaar
2010-12-04, 05:03 AM
You walk on. The sun sinks low in the sky. Just as you start to think about making camp,

Make a reflex save.

Ryuk01
2010-12-04, 05:37 PM
Mordecai: [roll0]

Odin: [roll1]

Devmaar
2010-12-04, 07:39 PM
Suddenly the ground shakes under your feet. Mordecai falls flat. Odin can only watch as the ground opens up and Mordecai falls down a crevasse to land heavily on a ledge some 30 feet below.

Falling damage: [roll0]

Ryuk01
2010-12-05, 05:12 PM
"Gah!" Mordecai lands with a sickening thump. "Odin, help me." The salt mephit quickly swoops down and lifts Mordecai back up. As Mordecai touches land, he searches the trap to identify how it was activated.

Devmaar
2010-12-05, 05:37 PM
Not a trap, just shifting earth

Ryuk01
2010-12-06, 05:59 PM
"These areas could have a lot of crevasse's and the last thing I'll need is to fall in one that is even deeper than that one. Odin, you're going to have fly behind me with your hands under my armpits. That way, if I fall, you'll catch me."

Odin agrees to do this. The position is awkward, but they manage to continue across the Flats, gradually moving closer to their destination.

Devmaar
2010-12-08, 04:39 PM
It's slow going, but by nightfall you have reached the foothills.

Ryuk01
2010-12-08, 09:34 PM
"Let's make camp. That way, we'll have a fresh start tomorrow morning."

"Alright. You can sleep, I'll stay up and watch."

Mordecai and Odin quickly set up camp. Mordecai, exhausted from the constant walking, falls asleep immediately, confident that he is safe under Odin's vigilant watch.

Does Odin see anything out of the ordinary as he stands guard all night?

EDIT: Before sleeping, Mordecai casts Ghoul Touch into Odin's weapon.

And, just a heads up, I kinda forgot about my Bracers of the Entangling Blast. In combat, I will combine it with an arcane channeled Chill Touch to deal 1d3+1 points of STR damage and entangle the enemy for 1d3 rounds.

Devmaar
2010-12-09, 10:32 AM
The night passes without incident, but just before dawn, Odin hears a noise to his left. Investigating he sees a dark figure, sword drawn, moving stealthily towards the camp.

Ryuk01
2010-12-12, 10:53 AM
Quickly, Odin taps Mordecai and casts Glitterdust on the creature, illuminating him with the small, golden particles. Mordecai immediately wakes and grabs his glaive in a defensive stance, trying to fend off his drowsiness.

Devmaar
2010-12-12, 11:03 AM
The figure is Emmrazahl, the Drow from the guard.

Ryuk01
2010-12-12, 01:18 PM
"Oh, sorry! You surprised me! What are you doing here?" Mordecai says in a friendly manner. However, he loosely holds his glaive, ready to defend himself if necessary.

Devmaar
2010-12-12, 02:56 PM
Gah! Mordecai? Emmrazahl gasps, rubbing his eyes. I was heading for the First Fabled Tower when I saw movement. I thought it might be bandits, or an Adderanian patrol.

Ryuk01
2010-12-12, 07:18 PM
"Aye, I am heading for the 2nd Tower. Perhaps we should travel together until our paths diverge? There is power in numbers."

Devmaar
2010-12-12, 07:22 PM
That makes sense. There may be a problem though, You were probably about to set off for the day, I was planning to stop for a day's rest. Sunlight does not favour the Drow.

Ryuk01
2010-12-12, 09:10 PM
"That is fine, we can wait a day." Suddenly, Mordecai grins mischievously, "I've always heard that you were a master swordsman... how about a friendly duel?"

I have the feeling that Mordecai is going to lose terribly, but I just couldn't resist.

Devmaar
2010-12-14, 12:57 PM
A master swordsman, really? I suppose I could manage a short duel before I sleep. Shall we make an agreement to not use magic?

Ryuk01
2010-12-14, 07:15 PM
Mordecai's eyebrows raise in surprise, "You are a spellcaster too? My, my, there is so much I do not know about colleagues. What kind of spells do you specialize in? Have you used up most of your spells?" Mordecai leans forward, genuinely interested.

Devmaar
2010-12-14, 07:31 PM
Ha, no. I do not use spells. Not in the way you think of them anyway. I do however possess certain... abilities that could tip this contest in my favour, were it to be no-holds-barred.

Ryuk01
2010-12-14, 09:23 PM
"Well then, lets see those abilities of yours. Let's fight, no-holds-barred, for it is not a duel if we both do not try our best. May the best man win." Mordecai grins in anticipation of the duel.

Devmaar
2010-12-15, 06:41 PM
Very well then. Emmrazahl draws his sword and flicks it, shadows seem to run along the blade. Taking a step back, he raises his sword and gives a nod.

For the purposes of movement, 15' away.

Roll initiative.

Ryuk01
2010-12-15, 07:08 PM
Mordecai lifts up his glaive and shifts his body to a classic gladiator stance.

Initiative: [roll0]

OOC: Could you give me a better description of Emmrazahl? What kind of sword does he have? Is he wielding it 2-handed? What kind of armor is he wearing? Are there any particular items that he is wearing that Mordecai might notice (i.e. headbands, bracers, etc)?

Devmaar
2011-01-12, 07:04 PM
Again, I'm really sorry about all the delays. I'll be better from here on, I promise.

What kind of sword does he have? Short Sword
Is he wielding it 2-handed? No
What kind of armor is he wearing? None you can see.
Are there any particular items that he is wearing that Mordecai might notice (i.e. headbands, bracers, etc)? Thick leather belt with iron studs, disc of bone inset with pearl as an amulet.

Emmrazahl steps into a ready position and, after noting Mordecai's readiness, flicks his left arm out, causing a wave of shadow to envelop the battlefield. He is almost invisible as he steps up to Mordecai and delivers a piercing strike to the shoulder (28 hp) the wound leaves a cold feeling (DC 19 Fort save or 4 STR damage).

You can see Emmrazahl but he has concealment

Ryuk01
2011-01-12, 09:22 PM
OOC: *jaw drops*

Doesn't he provoke an attack of opportunity? Also, could you roll on the forum?

Devmaar
2011-01-13, 05:47 AM
I forgot you were using a reach weapon, yes AoO. Sure, I can roll here from now on, would you like me to re-roll this first round as well?

Ryuk01
2011-01-13, 09:46 PM
I forgot you were using a reach weapon, yes AoO. Sure, I can roll here from now on, would you like me to re-roll this first round as well?
It's fine, just keep the results. I'm super busy today, so I'll post tomorrow.

Ryuk01
2011-01-14, 10:04 PM
Mordecai swings his glaive at Emmrazahl as he rushes forward and attacks, surprised by the intensity of Emmrazahl's blade. Blinking his eyes furiously to adjust to the lighting, Mordecai takes a 5-foot step back and brings his glaive in a destructive downwards arc towards Emmrazahl's head. His blade gleams with sickly green light as he channels a ghoul touch along with true strike into his weapon. Before Emmrazahl could counterattack, Mordecai turns invisible, still grimacing from his wound.

Fort Save: [roll0]
Attack of Opportunity: [roll1]
Miss Chance: [roll2]
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]
Miss Chance: [roll5]
DC 16 Fort Save or paralyzed.

Devmaar
2011-01-15, 06:37 AM
You have 'Murky-Eyed' so need yo roll miss chance twice. Also, as a Drow, Emmrazahl has SR. As our respective timezones lead to this moving slowly, I hope you won't mind if I roll these.

AoO miss chance: [roll0]
Attack miss chance: [roll1]
Too overcome SR: [roll2]

Ryuk01
2011-01-15, 10:18 AM
Whew... at least I passed those rolls. :smallsmile:

Devmaar
2011-01-15, 10:40 AM
Your attack connects but Emmrazahl seems to shrug off the spell.

(I'm assuming you used Swift Invisibility)

Seeing his foe disappear the Drow steps forward and stabs at where he last saw Mordecai. (5' step)

Miss Chance for Invis. (51 or higher to hit, has Blindfight) [roll1]
[roll2]
Damage [roll3] Sneak Attack [roll4] Sudden Strike [roll5] Vampiric Weapon [roll6] DC18 Fort save or 2 CON damage

Ryuk01
2011-01-15, 04:50 PM
Emmrazahl doesn't get a sneak attack.

"The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot [I'm invisible, so he can't]. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment [Did he sneak attack the first time? If so, that damage didn't count.]"

Devmaar
2011-01-15, 04:52 PM
Emmrazahl can see clearly in magical darkness, so damage from his first attack stands, but you're right about this turn with the invisibility. That cuts out the sudden strike too.

Ryuk01
2011-01-15, 05:04 PM
Also, what's sudden strike? And did I not overcome his spell resistance?

Would casting Ray of Enfeeblement on Emmrazahl be considered an 'attack'? The spell Invisibility says that "If the subject attacks directly, however, it immediately becomes visible along with all its gear", but Ray of Enfeeblement doesn't feel like a direct attack to me. It's your call.

Devmaar
2011-01-15, 07:57 PM
Sudden strike is an ability some splatbook classes have, similar to sneak attack but doesn't work with flanking. No but it was darn close!

I'm not sure on RAW but I wouldn't count anything that can't deal damage as an attack.

Ryuk01
2011-01-15, 09:30 PM
And the answer to the spell resistance question? I would be quite shocked out of character to know that this guy is level 13 or above.

Mordecai's probably gonna have to employ guerrilla tactics from now on. Let's see my save first though:

[roll0]

How many charges of my healing belt can I use in one round? For example, could I unleash all three separately?

Missed this in the spell description:"For purposes of this spell, an attack includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe."

Devmaar
2011-01-15, 09:41 PM
You didn't overcome SR, Emmrazahl is the third highest level character in the guard, just behind the Dwarf and the Warden himself.

The people in that room at the start were pretty evenly spread across a range of about 10 levels, from Mordecai as pretty much the peak of the Guard's 'Rank and File' so to speak, up to Gregor who has been described as 'the most dangerous fighter in history'.

Ryuk01
2011-01-15, 10:35 PM
You didn't overcome SR, Emmrazahl is the third highest level character in the guard, just behind the Dwarf and the Warden himself.

The people in that room at the start were pretty evenly spread across a range of about 10 levels, from Mordecai as pretty much the peak of the Guard's 'Rank and File' so to speak, up to Gregor who has been described as 'the most dangerous fighter in history'.
Oh my. I underestimated the Hidden Guard.

Just gotta get this question answered, then I'll post.

"How many charges of my healing belt can I use in one round? For example, could I unleash all three separately?"

By the way Devmaar, great posting rate. You've earned back my respect. :smallsmile:

Devmaar
2011-01-16, 12:11 PM
1, 2 or 3 charges per round, for the varying levels of healing.

Yeah, my posting's usually pretty good, you just got unlucky as my schedule went haywire at just the wrong time for this game.

Ryuk01
2011-01-16, 01:17 PM
"Gah! This guy's strong!" Mordecai, still in his invisibility, withdraws back out of the concealment area. He uses three charges of his healing belt.

[roll0] Oops, meant to roll 6d8.

Ryuk01
2011-01-16, 01:18 PM

Devmaar
2011-01-16, 06:35 PM
Through the darkness you dimly see Emmrazahl close his eyes, take a deep breath and ready himself, facing towards where he believes Mordecai stands.

Your turn.

Ryuk01
2011-01-16, 07:54 PM
Mordecai moves back even farther and casts True Strike on himself.

Devmaar
2011-01-16, 08:11 PM
Emmrazahl remains still, waiting for some sign of his opponents location.

Ryuk01
2011-01-16, 09:03 PM
"Ugh. He still won't come out of the shadows?" Mordecai moves up and casts Dancing Lights to illuminate Emmrazahl.

Is his concealment gone?

Devmaar
2011-01-17, 06:58 AM
Nope, there's the 'counters or dispels any light spell of equal or lower level'.

Mordecai, this is ridiculous. We can hardly fight this way. How about we agree to remove our concealments for the remainder of the fight?

Ryuk01
2011-01-17, 10:11 AM
"Fine. No more dodging about in the shadows for the both of us." Mordecai casts Cure Light Wounds on himself and dismisses his invisibility.

EDIT: I checked my spell list. ALL of my spells are subject to spell resistance!!!!

Devmaar
2011-01-17, 10:34 AM
With a wave of his hand Emmrazahl dismisses the shadows then he takes up position and indicates that Mordecai should make the first move.

Ryuk01
2011-01-17, 09:31 PM
Mordecai strikes with another Ghoul Touch channeled into his glaive. He then Dimension Doors back so that he is 15 feet away from Emmrazahl.

Overcome Spell Resistance: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]

Devmaar
2011-01-18, 04:40 PM
Concentration check in place of Fortitude save (Mind Over Body): [roll0]

Mordecai thrusts his left hand forward, a slice of shadow seems to fly towards you.
Ranged Touch Attack: [roll1]

The shadow strikes your throat and chills to the bone, your movements feel sluggish.

(technically, you're flatfooted until the start of your next turn, but that doesn't really matter since your next turn is immediately.)

Ryuk01
2011-01-19, 07:16 PM
Devmaar, what would be the rules if I drew my heavy mace, dimension hopped above his square, and slammed my mace down towards his head? Would he be flat-footed, and would I get any bonus to attack or damage rolls? Any other effects such as falling prone?

Mordecai's getting pretty desperate.

Devmaar
2011-01-21, 04:54 PM
I haven't found any actual rules so the following is made up by me:
Emmrazahl is flat-footed, a hit automatically threatens a critical, no bonus to the attack roll, +2 damage, + an extra 2 for every 10 feet you fall, although you would then take falling damage.

Sound okay?

Ryuk01
2011-01-21, 05:04 PM
Could I full-attack?

Devmaar
2011-01-21, 05:08 PM
I can't remember the casting time for Dimension Hop, if it's only a swift action then yes, if it takes a move then no. If you do full attack, you only get the bonuses on the first attack, since that's the one you're falling for, with the rest after you land.

Ryuk01
2011-01-21, 09:28 PM
Alright. C'mon Mordecai, let's beat this level 14 character.

Mordecai drops his glaive, draws his heavy mace, and dimension hops above Emmrazahl's head. "For Pelor!" he yells as he brings his mace down upon the drow's head.

Damage: [roll1]
Crit Damage: [roll2]

Devmaar
2011-01-23, 08:06 PM
As Mordecai swings his mace it seems to deflect off some invisible force around Emmrazahl's left hand, raised to deflect the blow. The attack misses the Drow's head, instead crunching into his shoulder.

Emmrazahl then deftly flicks out his sword, slicing into Mordecai's side, the wound feels cold.

Attack: [roll0] Damage [roll1] Vampiric Weapon [roll2]

DC17 Fort save or 2 CON damage

Devmaar
2011-01-23, 08:08 PM
Emmrazahl does not in fact roll a d20 for damage :smallredface:

[roll0]

Ryuk01
2011-01-23, 09:45 PM
You did more damage when you rolled a d6!

What would happen to Emmrazahl if I dimension hopped behind him and attacked?

[roll0]

Devmaar
2011-01-24, 07:34 AM
He would be flat-footed again.

Ryuk01
2011-01-24, 05:44 PM
Mordecai materializes behind Emmrazahl and full attacks the drow with his mace, striving to bring down this deadly adversary.

Attacks:[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll3]

Could I have a brief summary of his condition? I need to roughly estimate how much I have damaged him so I don't accidentally kill him.

Devmaar
2011-01-27, 12:40 PM
The mace slams into Emmrazahl's Torso but deflects off as if he were wearing armour.

Emmrazahl turns and rapidly attacks
[roll0] Damage [roll1] Vampiric Weapon [roll2]
[roll3] Damage [roll4] Vampiric Weapon [roll5]
[roll6] Damage [roll7] Vampiric Weapon [roll8]

Ryuk01
2011-01-28, 09:07 PM
Mordecai's disabled. :smallfrown:

Could I have a brief summary of his condition? I need to roughly estimate how much I have damaged him so I don't accidentally kill him.

Devmaar
2011-01-29, 05:19 AM
Actually, that third attack missed, if it hadn't Mordecai would be disabled.

Condition Summary: Emmrazahl is grimacing, but doesn't seem likely to go down any time soon.

Ryuk01
2011-01-29, 07:21 PM
What does a vampiric weapon do?

Devmaar
2011-01-29, 07:28 PM
Each attack deals an extra 1d6 damage, which is regained as healing.

Ryuk01
2011-02-01, 03:20 PM
Mordecai, gritting his teeth from the intense pain of the drow's blade, looks up to see Emmrazahl in a much better condition than him. Recognizing when to stop, Mordecai rests his glaive and admits defeat.

"Good fight, Emmrazahl. You truly are the better warrior." Mordecai grins and offers to shake hands with Emmrazahl, intent on being a good sport.

Devmaar
2011-02-01, 04:54 PM
Don't take it too hard, I have a few decades of practice on you. Emmrazahl smiles and accepts the handshake. Here, drink this. he hands you a deep blue potion.

(potion of Cure Serious Wounds, [roll0] healing.

Ryuk01
2011-02-01, 09:45 PM
"It must've been a long day of travel for you my friend. I'll take watch while you rest."

OOC: Could I see Emmrazahl's character sheet? I've been dying to know what his build is.

Devmaar
2011-02-02, 11:09 AM
Thank you. Emmrazahl wraps himself in a blanket, leaving no skin uncovered, and falls asleep.

OOC: Sure (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=260612) the big thing is the feats which convert his 1/day darkness SLA to a 5/day Deeper Darkness immediate action SLA, giving him concealment for his Sudden Strike.

Ryuk01
2011-02-04, 10:50 PM
Tome of Battle. I knew it.

Looking at his character sheet, I didn't stand a chance. I'm really glad he's an ally.

IC: Mordecai heals the rest of his wounds and keeps vigilant watch until Emmrazahl wakes up, glad to be able to talk to Odin. They actively discuss the match, with Odin complaining about how he couldn't join in and kick the drow's butt.

Devmaar
2011-02-05, 05:36 AM
As night falls, the three of you prepare to leave.
(we'll assume Mordecai was able to rest and recover spells at some point during the day)

Emmrazahl walks with his sword drawn constantly on the alert. As you make progress through the foothills, Odin suddenly stops and raises a hand. You can hear the sounds of conversation from behind an outcrop of rock. Emmrazahl moves into a shadow and moves to the end of the outcrop. After a moment he signals for Mordecai and Odin to join him. You can see what looks like an Adderanian encampment. A group of soldiers are sitting around in a valley below you, while what looks like a guard's post has been set up further along the ledge you stand on. The Adderanians consist mostly of Drow, Lizardfolk and Goblins.

Emmrazahl mutters something you don't understand under his breath and whispers to you, Do you think you can take the ones on the ledge?

'the ones on the ledge' are:

A lightly armoured Lizardfolk with a Falchion
An unarmoured and unarmed Drow
A Goblin with a Bow
An unarmoured and unarmed Halfling
A... human? With green scales, a breastplate and a quarterstaff

Ryuk01
2011-02-05, 11:17 AM
"Easily. What will you do?"

Devmaar
2011-02-05, 11:45 AM
As much damage as possible. He starts to move down into the valley.

Ryuk01
2011-02-05, 06:04 PM
Mordecai slowly and carefully makes his way to the ledge as he whispers his ambush plan to Odin. "Surprise them all with glitterdust. I'll pop right in when they're blinded and take down the drow because he could be a mage. You can sneak up on the halfling and stun him with a ghoul touch. Then we'll wipe out the rest." Mordecai looks up to see what the guard post is doing.

If they are doing nothing, Mordecai proceeds to cast True Strike on himself and Swift Invisibility on Odin, and positions himself for a straight path to the drow.

OOC: Can I see what Emmrazahl is doing? Have the guards noticed me?

Devmaar
2011-02-05, 07:40 PM
As you complete your preparations, the Goblin notices you and shouts a warning.

Roll Initiative (surprise round for Mordecai, Odin and the Goblin)

Emmrazahl is about to enter the camp.

Ryuk01
2011-02-05, 09:39 PM
"Damn!" Odin, ignoring the chaos around him, concentrates on imagining millions upon millions of shining golden dust enveloping his foes. He opens his eyes and feels a surge of satisfaction as he watches the guards writhing blindly from the spell. Taking this opportunity, Mordecai charges in and swings his glaive in a deadly arc at the unarmed drow's chest, hoping to dispatch this foe before the others react.

DC 14 glitterdust.
Initiative-
Mordecai: [roll0]
Odin: [roll1]

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Devmaar
2011-02-07, 08:28 AM
Odin gets off his spell, most of the enemies are blinded but the human looking one and the Lizardfolk are unaffected. The Goblin fires two arrows but they don't go near to their target. Mordecai runs at the Drow, swinging his Glaive and cutting deep into the Drow's torso, leaving his body still on the ground. Shouting in anger the halfling steps up to Mordecai and blindly punches at him, failing to connect.

Odin's go