PDA

View Full Version : Iron Mind and stacking DR/-: does this work?

SurlySeraph
2010-11-11, 12:40 PM
I noticed that the Iron Mind PrC from Races of Stone has a clause saying that the DR/- it grants "stacks with damage reduction of the same sort (such as that of a barbarian), but not with other types."

So apparently a War Mind 6/ Iron Mind 8 would have DR 5/-. And if this continued to stack with DR/- from other sources, you could take Armor Specialization and adamantine heavy armor to raise this to DR 10/- (when not flat-footed, psionically focused, wearing the correct heavy armor, etc.) Does this work?

As a side note, I know high DR/- really isn't that useful in practice. I'm just trying to construct a build that gets a lot of DR without magic.

Greenish
2010-11-11, 12:49 PM
Roll with it, feat from Savage Species, adds DR 2/- that stacks with all DR (by some readings). You can take it several times, though it requires Toughness.

Starbuck_II
2010-11-11, 12:51 PM
I noticed that the Iron Mind PrC from Races of Stone has a clause saying that the DR/- it grants "stacks with damage reduction of the same sort (such as that of a barbarian), but not with other types."

So apparently a War Mind 6/ Iron Mind 8 would have DR 5/-. And if this continued to stack with DR/- from other sources, you could take Armor Specialization and adamantine heavy armor to raise this to DR 10/- (when not flat-footed, psionically focused, wearing the correct heavy armor, etc.) Does this work?

Yes, any DR/- stacks with Iron Mind it says.

Toptomcat
2010-11-11, 05:09 PM
It's debatable whether DR/-- from adamantine armor stacks with barbarian or War Mind DR, actually, but it's certainly not an overpowering rules interpretation.

Keld Denar
2010-11-11, 05:28 PM
When Iron Optimization did War Mind, someone came up with this build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9465058&postcount=100). Note that it was marked down because not all of the DR stacks, but a goodly portion of it does.

Thurbane
2010-11-11, 07:06 PM
Wow, I always thought adamantine armor gave DR/adamantine...never noticed it's DR/- before. Live and learn. :smallwink:

The Glyphstone
2010-11-11, 07:09 PM
Wow, I always thought adamantine armor gave DR/adamantine...never noticed it's DR/- before. Live and learn. :smallwink:

That...is interesting. Huh.