PDA

View Full Version : Time to Rule.......(3.5 Class, WIP + PEACH!)

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-11, 03:57 PM
The ChronoRex

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs24/i/2009/240/7/f/The_Clockwork_Knight_by_tungstenwolf.jpg
Time's Up, i'm afraid! - A ChronoRex only known as "The Madspark"

Lords of the time flow.....The Tick-Tock Tyrants.....Chronomancers.....
The many names of a Chrono Tyrant, who uses time to bolster his martial powers in a fusion of arcane might and killing power

Game Rule Information
Chrono Tyrants have the following game statistics.
Abilities: A ChronoRex relies on WIS normally, in that it is used to bolster
his attacks and how many times he may use his Time Crash ability. As a fighter, the standard array of DEX and CON is useful (WIS is used instead of STR for alot of things, anyway). INT and CHA......it's an inborn thing, Chronomancy. Not much thinking is needed.

Alignment: As most classes, any alightment will serve the kings of time well, but the ChronoRex's tend to have a Lawful bent as then have a respect for the laws of time - but beware of the mad Chaotic bugger who punches people out of the timestream for kicks and giggles.
Hit Die: d10.

Class Skills
The ChronoRex's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Chr), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Chr), Handle Animal (Chr), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Chr), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Chr), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at 1st level: (4 + int modifier) x 6.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

{TABLE]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Feature
1 | +0 | +2|+0 |+2 |Time Crash 1d8, Chronothesis, Spells of Time
2| +1| +3|+0 |+3 | I'm Just Too Quick, Mind over Matter
3| +2| +3|+1| +3| Gears and Cogs
4| +3| +4| +1|+4 | Time Crash 2d8
5| +3| +4| +1| +4| Running Like Clockwork
6| +4| +5|+2 |+5 | Too Fast...Too Slow...
7| +5| +5| +2| +5| Time Crash 3d8
8| +6/+1| +6| +2| +5| Chaotic Warp Time
9| +6/+1| +6|+3 |+6| Bonus Feat, Sonic Screwdriver
10| +7/+2| +7|+3 |+7 | Time Crash 4d8
11| +8/+3| +7| +3|+7 | Improved Chronothesis
12| +9/+4| +8| +4|+8 | Bonus Feat
13| +9/+4| +8| +4| +8| Time Crash 5d8
14| +10/+5| +9| +4| +9| Clockwork Man
15| +11/+6/+1| +9| +5| +9| Bonus Feat
16| +12/+7+2| +10| +5| +10| Time Crash 6d8
17| +12/+7/+2| +10| +5|+10 | Time Traveller
18| +13/+8/+2| +11|+6 |+11 | Vicis Morior
19 | +14/+9/+4| +11| +6| +11| Time Crash 7d8
20| +15/+10/+5| +12| +6| +12| Time to Rule
[/table]
Weapon Proficiencies: A ChronoRex is proficient with all simple weapons, all shields (bar Tower Shields), two martial weapons of your choice, OR one exotic weapon of you choice (Once made, can't be changed, yadda yadda)

Time Crash: The prime ability of a ChronoRex is to disrupt the flow of time within a creature with a touch. As a standard action, you make make a ranged touch attack with a range of 40ft dealing 1d8 damage (Will save to negate), as you warp the energies in their very soul. This attack's damage increases as indicated on the table by a d8 every 3 levels after Lv1.

Chronothesis : The staple of a ChronoRex, like a Wizard or an Archivist, is a textbook keeping all of the Tyrant's notes and theorys. With this case, it is a tome of Chrono-Lore called a Chronothesis. Every 24 hours, the Chrono Tyrant must take out an hour each day to study his book and ajust the energes in his body. Failure to do so will mean you take a cumulative -1 penalty to all rolls. However, using a Chronothesis gives the ChronoRex some bonuses. He is able to tell what the time is as a free action, no matter where or when he is. He gains immunity to all cantrips and other 0th level spells at will, and by meditating for 1 hour, may take an extra standard action once per day.

Spells of Time: A ChronoRex casts arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must (see below).

To learn or cast a spell, a ChronoRex must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a sorcerer’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the sorcerer’s Wisdom modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a ChronoRex can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Sorcerer. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score.

A ChronoRex’s selection of spells is extremely limited. A sorcerer begins play knowing four 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells of your choice. At each new sorcerer level, he gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table: ChronoRex's Spells Known. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a ChronoRex knows is not affected by his Wisdom score; the numbers on Table: ChronoRex Spells Known are fixed.) These new spells can be common spells chosen from the ChronoRex spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study. The ChronoRex can’t use this method of spell acquisition to learn spells at a faster rate, however.

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered ChronoRex level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a sorcerer can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the sorcerer “loses” the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level sorcerer spell the sorcerer can cast. A sorcerer may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for the level.

Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a ChronoRex need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.

Table: ChronoRex Spells
{table=head]Level|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th
1|1|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---
2|2|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---
3|2|1|---|---|---|---|---|---|---
4|3|2|---|---|---|---|---|---|---
5|3|2|1|---|---|---|---|---|---
6|3|3|2|---|---|---|---|---|---
7|3|3|2|1|---|---|---|---|---
8|3|3|3|2|---|---|---|---|---
9|3|3|3|2|1|---|---|---|---
10|3|3|3|3|2|1|---|---|---|---
11|3|3|3|3|2|2|---|---|---
12|3|3|3|3|3|2|---|---|---
13|3|3|3|3|3|3|1|---|---
14|3|3|3|3|3|3|2|---|---
15|3|3|3|3|3|3|2|1|---
16|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|2|---
17|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|2|1
18|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|2
19|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|2
20|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3[/table]

A ChronoRex may pick spells from the following list:
I'm Just Too Quick: The ChronoRex gains a +10 to all his movement speeds, and Alertness as a bonus feat.

Mind over Matter: A ChronoRex is so quick he can attack on instinct. A Chrono Tyrant may use his WIS modifer instead of his STR modifier for attack rolls.

Gears and Cogs: You slowly become more clockwork as you emulate time's old friend - the clock. You gain DR 5/Piercing and require 2 hours less sleep than normal.

Running like Clockwork: As you gain an understanding of time, you feel it is a travesty to waste it, and have made arrangements so it shall be used in a manner most befitting. You become immune to stunning and paralysis, and all your base speeds increase by 50% (rounded up to the nearest multiple of 5)

Too Fast...Too Slow...: You gain two iconic spells to be used at a whim so many times a day. You gain Haste and Slow as SLA's useable WIS modifer times per day.

Chaotic Warp Time: WIS modifier times per day, you may try to warp time..but you havn't quite got it. To use this touch attack as a move action, your roll a d20. If the result is even, then your target rakes a penalty to all rolls for one hour equal to half the result (rounded up). If your oll an odd number, you take damage equal to that number halved (rounded up).

Sonic Screwdriver: You gain Knock at an at will SLA, but you may only use this SLA if you are holding a small thin stick that glows when a button is pressed (Worth 500gp)

Bonus Feats: You gain a bonus feat at levels 9, 12, and 15.

Improved Chronothesis: Your studies have allowed for greater control of your powers. You now only need half an hour study instead of one hour, and by meditating for the extra hour, you may take an extra standard action twice per day instead.

Clockwork Man: You embrace the clockwork form, gaining it's powers. You gain the Contruct Type along with your other typings, with the slight benefit that you may be healed normally, and you can be raised/ressurected.

Time Traveller: You knew it was coming. And now it has. You gain Travel Through Time (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b) as an SLA useable twice per 24 (relative) hours after your study of your Chronothesis (no time travel shenanigans for you!). You gain this ability at will at Lv20. If this ability would be problematic for your campaign, you may replace Travel Through Time with Time Stop instead.

Vicis Morior: Meaning Time to Die, this ability allows you to grasp a person's timeline....and snap it harshly. Once per day, you may declare to one person that it is his time to die, as a full round action. The person does not need to hear you. The trick is, TIME hears you, and you being a powerful Chrono Tyrant, you couldn't be wrong, right? You and the person targeted make opposed Will Saves. If you succeed, you wipe out the person, killing them instantly with no chance of revival short of a Wish to retrieve the body. If you lose the Will Save, Time itself get's annoyed, and you take a -5 penalty to attack rolls for two rounds as Time slows you down to punish you.

Time to Rule: By now, ou have taken time, and made it your own. And as such, you gain Divine Rank 0, with the slight stipulation that one of your portfolios be Time (Well duh).

Playing a ChronoRex
Brief description on how to play the class you are designing.
Combat: Here's a section where you will describe common combat methods for your class. Remember to include information on how your class will use his powers in combat.
Advancement: This is a section on different options and paths that the class can go down when they advance in power.
Resources: What resources might a member of this PrC be able to draw on..

ChronoRex in the world
A quote of somebody else talking about your class!

A brief description of how your class is persevered in the world and how he interacts with the world.
Daily Life: Some general information about the typical day in the life of your class.
Notables: Make up some cool information about notable figures in the history of your class. It's best to give a little information from one of the good alignment and evil alignment (unless it's a good or evil only class).
Organizations: Some information about organizations dedicated to the practice of your class and other organizations which members of your class will be attracted towards.

NPC Reaction
This is an in detail description of how NPC's would perceive your class and the immediate generalization that people would give of your class.

ChronoRex in The Game
This is a good place to provide a quick note on how your class will effect game play statistically.
Adaptation: This is a place where you put in detail how people can adapt your class into their campaign setting.
Encounters: This is a place to describe what sort of encounters PC's will have with NPC versions of your class.

Sample Encounter
Give an example of how one might encounter a member of this PrC.
EL x: Give the encounter level and description of a sample member of this class and a stat block for him/her.

Name
alignment/Gender/Race/Levels
Init +0, Senses: Listen +, Spot +,
Languages
------------------------------------------------
AC , touch , flat-footed ()
hp ( HD)
Fort +, Ref +, Will +
------------------------------------------------
Speed ft. ( squares)
Melee
Base Atk +, Grp +
Atk Options
Combat Gear
Spells Prepared
Supernatural Abilities
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
SQ
Feats
Skills
Possessions

Comments:
First up, I don't want this too strong a class. Yes, it's using TIME ITSELF as a toy, but it's gotta be balanced. Balancing things, I am bad at. So, go easy!Change Log:
Chrono Tyrant project started on 11/11/10, hoping for feedback
Added Spells, lowered BAB, and boosted Time Crash

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-11, 03:59 PM
Right, this is my first ever proper base class, so go easy! Also, reserved for statting up......The TARDIS.

AugustNights
2010-11-11, 05:11 PM
A Few things at a quick glance:

A) Why L.E? Without a strong Character Bend (And later on options for Characters that change alignment) such a strict Alignment requirement seems arbitrary.

B) Time Crash has no specifications of Attack roll, or action taken to deal silly amounts of damage. How do creatures avoid this damage, and how does the Chrono Tyrant Deal it out?

C) Mind implies Intelligence and Not Wisdom to me. Wisdom is more of intuition, and common sense, where as Intelligence is knowledge and thinky arts. The flavor and Mechanic of Mind Over Matter don't jive.

D) Why not give it +10 movement speed instead of Expeditious Retreat
as a SLA at will?

Actually this base class is looking very arbitrary, and rather focused. It feels like it wants to be a Prestige Class, or perhaps a Prestige Class and a Race.

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-11, 05:33 PM
1. The LE was because of the name, but that can go, I guess.
2. Bloody computer ate my edit.......
3. I'll fluff it as instinctual knowledge then.
4. Yes. Why didn't I think of that?

And as for the Prestige Class + Race.....bleh. I don't particularly like
making Prcs, and I made a Race once but.....that wan't much of a success.
I'll change the name. That'll help.

Dead_Jester
2010-11-11, 06:32 PM
The idea is sound, although I also think this would be better as a PrC.

Time crash is horribly weak, as in, almost always useless.
This class needs a spell list
Divine rank 0 is sketchy at best, because it usually comes with a crapton of outsider levels, and is completely impossible in some campaign settings.
And why the full Bab, nothing in this strikes me as overly fighter-ish.

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-11, 07:08 PM
So, Poor BAB and a Spell List? I can do that. Time Crash...i'll boost. Slightly.
EDIT: Right, I need YOUR help. Can someone give me a list of good spells to give this guy? The problem is he already gets Haste, Slow, TvT and Expeditious Retreat through class levels. Good utility spells? Any other (loosely) time themed spells i'm missing?

Brendan
2010-11-11, 07:34 PM
I think it might be cool to be able to rewind time a little. maybe at 12th or so you can send the world back one round of action. dc 28 arcana for others to know time changed and it's not the first time around.
Also, vicis morior should probably be wis mod (or int mod) per day or something. people will have a fair amount of need to kill at this level. maybe a hit die limit, because at this level, killing, say, a tarrasque would be like taking candy from a baby. 2xhit die maybe? also, i think you could refluff the failure as your effort of moving time having a whiplash.
why would warping time impose a penalty on all rolls? are they pushed out of sync with events so that they are reacting moments too late? are they slowed down?
I think you should have a time stop effect. first usable as a touch attack, then a ranged touch, and finally a cone. stat it as total paralysis that effects objects as well. moving the stuff inside there should be like moving an immovable rod.

also, everyone, EVERYONE, who chooses this class needs a wand of knock

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-11, 07:39 PM

Want of Knock.......OH. YES. Will try to shove that in somewhere.