PDA

View Full Version : Vampires temporary HP from blood sucking simple question

drack
2010-11-11, 04:52 PM
OK, so i am going to play a vampire, so I read the SRD entry on them. I notice that it gains 5 temporary HP from sucking blood, but it didn't specify a time limit (usually they say that they ware off in 24 hours). But than when I try looking that up I find that temporary HP don't stack.

So in this case do they stack? and how long do they last?

Synapse
2010-11-11, 05:03 PM
The overall rule is that nothing that comes from the same source should stack with itself... so temp hp from "sucking blood" should never stack with temp hp from "sucking blood" again. If no duration is specified just preserve it there. Unless you guys think it doesn't make sense. Then make up whatever time you think that makes sense.

NelKor
2010-11-11, 05:06 PM
It doesn't say it stacks, nor that it has a duration but from logical reasoning it seems to imply that it stacks with its self It's similar to the evolved undead template, it seems that it was implied for the fast healing to stack. With that being said i'd rule the temp stays for as long as a vampire can go between feedings, which is listed in the book of bad latin(Libris Mortis).

Toptomcat
2010-11-11, 05:16 PM
Temporary HP of indefinite duration won't really overpower the vampire with its gargantuan LA, so just let them keep temporary HP from feedings for as long as they like. As per normal rules, they overlap rather than stacking, so you'll only ever have 5 temporary HP, or by a generous reading of the rules (5 * number of successful immediately consecutive Blood Drain attacks in the same grapple)

Keld Denar
2010-11-12, 12:48 PM
I've always played that temp HP gain from various life draining effects stack. Most of them do have an expiration date though. Each touch, however, is a seperate source, IMO, and seperate sources would stack.

If you look at say...the Dream Vestige from Libris Mortis, it reproduces by budding. When it consumes enough int that its temp hp >= max hp, it divides and creates two Dream Vestige's.

Self Spawn (Ex): When a dream vestige gains a number of temporary hit points equal to its full normal hit point total, it self spawns, splitting into two identical dream vestiges, each with a number of hit points equal to the origional dream vestige's full normal total.

So, if temp HP really don't ever stack, then a fully healed Dream Vestige has 110 HP, and one who bad touches someone once will have 115 HP, and one who bad touches someone 500 times will still have 115 HP. It'll never spawn because it'll never have more than 115 HP, much less 220 HP.

Unless you want to rule that a Dream Vestige can only self spawn when under the effects of False Life, Heart of Earth, Vampiric Touch, and Heroes Feast, they have to stack.