PDA

View Full Version : Cleric/Rogue PrC, one that progresses SA and Casting

AustontheGreat1
2010-11-11, 05:59 PM
So I'm looking for a prestige class that progresses Sneak Attack and Cleric Casting. The character is Lawful Evil who focuses on shadows and summoning, as well as ranged attacks with a dash of assassination (though I don't think I'm going to go assassin, it just doesn't seem worth it.). Race is tiefling. Ummm...I'll fill in any more details as needed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Amphetryon
2010-11-11, 06:04 PM
You could re-fluff Temple Raider of Olidamarra.

Psyren
2010-11-11, 06:04 PM
Our very own Giant made a good one, (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/5M5QGsJ5mpbLfAHduZG.html) but it is technically homebrew.

(I say it shouldn't count as homebrew if you ever wrote a WotC sourcebook, but I don't make the rules :smalltongue:)

Cainen
2010-11-11, 08:05 PM
There's a prestige class I'm forgetting at the moment, but if Dragon material's allowed there's a feat called Sacred Outlaw that progresses SA for you.

Urpriest
2010-11-11, 08:09 PM
There's a prestige class I'm forgetting at the moment, but if Dragon material's allowed there's a feat called Sacred Outlaw that progresses SA for you.

Is the Prestige Class you're forgetting Shadowbane Stalker?

Cainen
2010-11-11, 08:10 PM
Yes indeed.

Eloel
2010-11-11, 08:11 PM
Sacred Outlaw feat. Already PM'd, but thought I'd state here for anyone else looking for one :smallsmile:

Last Laugh
2010-11-11, 08:12 PM
Shadowbane Stalker in Complete Adventurer has +8/10 casting and +1d6 sneak attack at 3rd 6th and 9th.
Must have
Lawful good
8 gather information
4 search
4 sense motive
Sneak attack +1d6
Able to cast detect evil

dsmiles
2010-11-11, 08:14 PM
Thrall of Graz'zt gives spell betrayal which is like a "spell sneak attack," but off-hand, I don't know of a PrC that does both.

Vemynal
2010-11-11, 08:57 PM
The "Black Flame Zealot" class sounds perfect for what your asking for

Its in the complete Divine I believe

Its a Divine/Rogue PrC that advances Divine casting every couple of levels (I think every other level), gives some really cool and thematic class abilities and advances sneak attack

WinceRind
2010-11-11, 10:31 PM
The "Black Flame Zealot" class sounds perfect for what your asking for

Its in the complete Divine I believe

Its a Divine/Rogue PrC that advances Divine casting every couple of levels (I think every other level), gives some really cool and thematic class abilities and advances sneak attack

Yeah, exactly what I'd suggest.

Black Flame Zealot is from Complete Divine, and being non-good is a requirement.

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-11, 10:41 PM
Black Flame Zealot is alright, but as far as I remember I BELIEVE that class had a deity requirement/demands that you worship a particular deity to enter. I am not 100% sure on that though. Also, while it is flavorful from an optimization standpoint it's rather stinky since I also believe it had 5/10 CL progression and 5/10 CL progression is generally a REALLY horrible thing for a caster. However, the class IS flavorful and if your not in a high optimization party then it's perfectly valid.

Psyren
2010-11-11, 10:48 PM
There is no specific deity requirement. They also get Death Attack.

Personally the 5/10 casting would kill it for me, but it's does do what the OP wants.

AustontheGreat1
2010-11-12, 07:12 AM
Hmmm...Black Flame Zealot might be exactly what I'm looking for. Though I will probably re-fluff the abilities to use shadow instead of unholy flame, maybe even try and convince my DM to let them deal cold damage instead.

It does however seem a little weak, especially considering that this will be a Pathfinder game. (probably should have mentioned that.)

Any tips on bringing it up the pathfinder level?

Amphetryon
2010-11-12, 08:30 AM
Increase the CL to 7/10, and you should be decently powerful. I've not played a lot of PF, though.

Escheton
2010-11-12, 08:39 AM
They are the Assassin-clerics of the Church of Kossuth.
The lord of flames is pretty kick-ass so you are good either way.

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-12, 08:54 AM
So I assume that means I was right about the deity requirement? If so I don't think he can take this class unless he either A) rejects his current God/Goddess to follow the one he needs to enter the class. B) Gets the DM to allow him to refluff the class so he dose not have to change deities or C) He already worships the right god and thus dose not need to do anything.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-12, 09:14 AM
The black flame zealot doesn't have a deity requirement, a TN cleric of Pelor can enter it (insert generic Burning Hate comment :smalltongue:).

The problem is that it needs Exotic Weapon Proficiency (kukri) yes you need to take the EWP for a martial weapon. It seems that someone didn't receive the 3.5 update memo... (AFAIK Kukris were exotic weapons in 3.0)

Greenish
2010-11-12, 09:49 AM
The black flame zealot doesn't have a deity requirement, a TN cleric of Pelor can enter it (insert generic Burning Hate comment :smalltongue:).A cleric of Pelor can't be true neutral.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-12, 09:55 AM
Wasn't Pelor NG? (Burning Hate not withstanding)

Gametime
2010-11-12, 09:57 AM
Yes, but there's a special rule that clerics can't be True Neutral unless the deity is.

LordBlades
2010-11-12, 10:01 AM
Wasn't Pelor NG? (Burning Hate not withstanding)

Yup, except as a cleric you can't be TN unless your deity is TN. It's an exception from the one-step-away rule.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-12, 10:02 AM
Didn't know about that rule... weird, If that is the case I retire my proposal of a black flame zealot of pelor (unless you can convince your DM of the Burning Hate :smallamused:)

Eloel
2010-11-12, 10:07 AM
Yup, except as a cleric you can't be TN unless your deity is TN. It's an exception from the one-step-away rule.

I don't think that rule exists, it, afaik, is a common misconception (due to badly worded WotC stuff)

A cleric’s alignment must be within one step of his deity’s (that is, it may be one step away on either the lawful-chaotic axis or the good-evil axis, but not both). A cleric may [thus] not be [true] neutral unless his deity’s alignment is also neutral [on at least one axis].
It does look forced, I'm aware of that, but really, it doesn't make much sense otherwise.

FMArthur
2010-11-12, 10:07 AM
Doesn't this whole 'Burning Hate' thing just stem from one or two oddities and a cleric of Pelor who pictorally demonstrates things he really shouldn't be doing? Information on this subject is kind of vague and very scattered. He covers his tracks well...

Last Laugh
2010-11-12, 10:22 AM
Doesn't this whole 'Burning Hate' thing just stem from one or two oddities and a cleric of Pelor who pictorally demonstrates things he really shouldn't be doing? Information on this subject is kind of vague and very scattered. He covers his tracks well...

Yep, the NPC cleric Jozan is depicted as casting a few evil spells and so the Burning Hate was born.

Greenish
2010-11-12, 11:12 AM
I don't think that rule exists, it, afaik, is a common misconception (due to badly worded WotC stuff)

It does look forced, I'm aware of that, but really, it doesn't make much sense otherwise.Why not? If your deity is the epitome of something (say, goodness, ie. NG), it makes sense for his chosen champions to be Good, too.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that unless specified, "neutral" always means true neutral. You have no basis to claim that the first "neutral" in the text refers to true neutral, but the second just means "neutral on any axis".

Aotrs Commander
2010-11-13, 06:12 AM
Unfortunately, Cleric/Rogue multiclass is one of the least supported concepts around. There's only about three PrC for that paradigm, and most of them are pretty dreadful.

Avoid Black Flame Zealot like the plague, it's absolutely awful, and as much of a trap as Order of the Bow Initiate. It actually gives you less overall progression than ten levels of straight cleric and/or rogue (the only thing you get more than the latter on is one extra SA dice, is laughable over a 20-level progression.) The latter also has the advantage of giving you five more levels of Rogue abilities.

Rich's Divine Trickster is about the best of the rest.

(I personally whipped up my own variant here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155408); though for normal 6th level entry, you'd ramp the entry pre-reqs to ability to cast 2nd level divine spells and 3D6 SA. But of course, that's a homebrew solution that may not be appropriate or allowed for your game)

Rasman
2010-11-13, 07:13 AM
I BELIEVE Unseen Seer does what you want, but it might be Arcane Spell Casting...I'd Google it since WotC has it as an online thing

Escheton
2010-11-13, 07:20 AM
It's kinda weird there are no clogue prestigeclasses for olidamara or mask or something.

I do recall a cleric presigeclass that was based around a jester. With I think "killing joke" as the capstone ability.
Unclear about the source and name however.
Can anyone back me up on this?

Aotrs Commander
2010-11-13, 07:28 AM
It's kinda weird there are no clogue prestigeclasses for olidamara or mask or something.

Or for Kuo-Toa, since Whips are supposed to be Cleric/Rogues. One of the reasons I've particularly felt the lack of an appropriate class was due to my conversion of Night Below, which was full of them.

It's very strange, considering that for arcane rogues, there's loads (hell, even Spellthief come to that).

Escheton
2010-11-13, 07:34 AM
Sure savage species or serpent kingdom doesnt have one or two?
Otherwise, npc prestiges are usually left for the dm to create him/herself.
And straight classlvls arent usually that much of a problem as npc's are usually less tweaked then pc's. OCD dm's not acounted for.

some guy
2010-11-13, 09:04 AM
I do recall a cleric presigeclass that was based around a jester. With I think "killing joke" as the capstone ability.
Unclear about the source and name however.
Can anyone back me up on this?

Divine prankster from Races of stone. Needs to be a gnome and follower of Garl Glittergold, 8 ranks in bluff, sleight of hand and perform (comedy) and must be able to cast 2nd level divine spells.

Cogidubnus
2010-11-13, 09:18 AM
Our very own Giant made a good one, (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/5M5QGsJ5mpbLfAHduZG.html) but it is technically homebrew.

(I say it shouldn't count as homebrew if you ever wrote a WotC sourcebook, but I don't make the rules :smalltongue:)

Which sourcebook did he write?

Last Laugh
2010-11-13, 11:30 AM
Which sourcebook did he write?

The Giant wrote Dungeonscape (think he had help tho.) I like all of his online articles.

Psyren
2010-11-13, 11:38 AM
He also contributed some monsters to some of the manuals. (I think Shadesteel Golem in MM3 was one of his.)

Last Laugh
2010-11-13, 12:37 PM
back on track the Spellwarp Sniper from Complete Scoundrel increases sneak attack (or sudden strike if that's you thing) at 2 and 4, but only for rays. It also lets any spell with and instant duration and a non touch range be changed into a ray spell, each level you can convert a higher spell level (level 5 converts level 5 spells)
It's a little bit iffy, combine it with Uncanny Trickster for a little bit more fun.

It really isn't that great, but is +SA and +casting.

It requires point blank shot (elf domain if you can).