PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Ranged Summoner

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-12, 09:39 AM
Ok, pathfinder game i just started has 6 players at the table and 5 of us are melee.

I'm playing a summoner and some one asked if any one could rebuild to ranged so i got to thinking. Can you build a summoner ranged to a decent effect?

My thought was get a serpent edilon with as many arms as you can and martial wepon prof and bow feats (prolly wings and a breath wepon for flavor). +a bow and buffs your self

Has any one tried this or have any idea how much more or less effective it is than a melee oriented Edilon?

Psyren
2010-11-12, 10:26 AM
They're Cha-based, right? So you'll want Cha to hit at the very least. Check the X stat to Y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) thread.

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-12, 12:11 PM
They're Cha-based, right? So you'll want Cha to hit at the very least. Check the X stat to Y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) thread.

The are Cha based caster but they max at 6th level spells and do mostly buffs and summons. (plus glitter dust and a few other things.) so a hi Cha isn't really a must. The summoner in this case would mostly be a buff bot boosting his Edilon.

Here's my limited crunch. you have 26 Ev points at 20 or 14@lvl10 j(ust to see how the build matures)

You can get an extra set of arms for 2 pts, martial wep prof for 4 pts, huge size is 6 points but i don't know if the bonus dice and strength bonus are worth the lost accuracy(i'll assume they are)

Thats all you need to spend points on i think,( in practice flight would prolly be use full but w/e)

So at level 20 you have 8 sets of arms 15BAB 28str 24dex and huge long bows that deal 3d6+what ever you put on them (I feel like just casting magic wepon on all of them would prolly be best/cheapest)

so your full attack is +18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+18/+13/+13/+13/+13/+13/+13/+13/+13/+8/+8/+8/+8/+8/+8/+8/+8 (I think thats how many shot would work in any way) all of those dealing 3d6+9 damage at the least.

But thats a lot of attacks to even think about comparing to any thing else.

Did i mess somthing up in my calculations? Does any one have a way to improve this?

Lans
2010-11-12, 09:34 PM
Aren't they capped at a certian amount of attacks?

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-13, 07:01 PM
Aren't they capped at a certian amount of attacks?
There is an artificial limit on the number of natural attacks. Wepon attacks are specifically excluded from that. I didn't see a limit on the number of extra limbs you can have. It says you can take it multiple times but not up to any limit.

Lans
2010-11-13, 09:02 PM
Nifty, you might want to not go all in on shooting, and you might want to consider giving him martial weapon proficiency through a feat instead of evolution.

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-13, 11:24 PM
Nifty, you might want to not go all in on shooting, and you might want to consider giving him martial weapon proficiency through a feat instead of evolution.

I didn't think you could do that, but looking on the SRD i don't see why you couldn't. He might be feat starved at earlier levels so i budgeted for it any way. I haven't analyzed the damage difference between more attacks and some of the better archery feats.