PDA

View Full Version : Help with my Warblade...

Draje
2010-11-12, 11:59 AM
Male Human Barbarian 1 / Fighter 2 / Warblade 4
Chaotic Good

STR 20 (+6)
DEX 17 (+3)
CON 15 (+2)
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 10

Armor Class: 18 = 10 +5 [breastplate] +3 [dexterity]

Feats:

Combat Reflexes
Improved Initiative
Power Attack
Cleave
Improved Sunder
Weapon Focus x1 Weapon(s):
Powerful Build

Maneuvers Known:
LVL. 1 -

Moment of perfect Mind
Steel Wind
Leading the Attack

LVL. 3 -

Bone Crusher Iron Heart Surge

Stances: Punishing Stance
Pearl of Black Doubt

Character is wielding a Large Anarchic Greatsword (3d6) with the help of Powerful Build. What's he looking like? Bad Character? Useless feats? Stuff I should aim for? This is my first time playing DnD and I freaking love it.

Oh, I rolled REALLY good on stats as you can probably tell.

Greenish
2010-11-12, 12:10 PM
Powerful Build isn't a feat. Imp. Sunder isn't very useful (unless you're going for combat brute), Cleave is rather situational, and Imp. Initiative you could pick up with Warblade 5 bonus feat.

You might want to do that, since you'll usually want an even number of non-initiator classes to benefit from the fractional IL.

You have Barbarian for Pounce, no? It's handy, though a martial adept could do without it. Whirling Frenzy with Extra Rage can be pretty handy, though you won't be using the save replacement maneuvers then.

Elfin
2010-11-12, 12:11 PM
First of all, welcome to the game.
Your character is looking decent enough, and honestly, since this is your first game, I wouldn't worry about optimizing too much. But in try to avoid the Weapon Focus/Weapon Specialization line, as small numerical bonuses aren't at all competitive with what other feats would get you.

I strongly recommend that you take a look at Person Man's simply amazing Guide to Melee Combos (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7047955&posted=1), and it's also worth checking out Tome of Battle for Dummies (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871270/Tome_of_Battle_for_Dummies).

Goudaa
2010-11-12, 12:11 PM
20 str = +5.

Fouredged Sword
2010-11-12, 12:22 PM
I like your choice of stances, as you have one to hit hard and one to not get hit.

Sundering, disarming ect are best left to strikes from iron heart, if at all. They are situational.

also, ether go whole hog ang get heavy armor or go quick and get a mitheral brestplate. You are prof in both due to fighter, and both have thier strengths. I would suggest light armor due to your dex.

Also I would like to add mountain hammer to your list of strikes to look at hard. Nothing can stop it. It is a lockpick, trap disarmer, and door opener all in one. Shackled with adimantium chains naked to a wall. No problem. Mountain hammer the wall with your face till it breaks and then smash the chains (also with your face). It's not so much a combat power (but overcomeing DR and extra damage is nice) rather than a tool that can solve so many problems by preventing the DM from saying no, you can't just smash it.

KitTheOdd
2010-11-12, 12:47 PM
One things is that with a 10 in INT you will be missing out on any benefit from several class features. Think about putting the 17 in Con and the 15 in INT, or even vice versa - d12 HD is nice. You are proficient in medium armor, so breastplate or even mithril full-plate when you get enough gold will help the ole AC a lot. You don't need Dex as much for AC.

Second the Mountain Hammer - the bard/warblade I'm currently playing has gotten TONS of use out of that family of strikes. I definitely suggest dropping Improved Sunder and using Mountain Hammer for all your object smashing needs.

A lot of it depends on what you want to play. What you have now is not necessarily bad, but is not as effective as it might be. One thing to think about is where you want to go from here. More Barb, more Fighter, more Warblade, some PrC?

Keld Denar
2010-11-12, 01:02 PM
If you aren't using Barbarian for Pounce, I'd consider dropping it. If you are, I'd drop one level of Fighter. This will even out your IL and get you slightly higher manevuers.

You don't have nearly enough manevuers, and you have your manevuer switch from your 4th level of Warblade. I'd do something like this:

Warblade1/Fighter2/Warblade+5
or
Warblade1/Fighter1/Barbarian1/Warblade+5

that'll start you off with 1 4th level manevuer as well, which is pure gold (Dancing Mongoose, Pouncing Charge, and Ruby Nightmare Blade are all great)

If you do that, I'd go with this for your manevuers:

1st - IL 1
Moment of Perfect Mind
Steel Wind
Leading the Attack

4th - IL3
Mountain Hammer

5th - IL4
Emerald Razor

6th - IL5
Iron Heart SURRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Swap Leading the Attack for White Raven Tactics

7th - IL6
Bonecrusher?

8th - IL7
Swap something for Ruby Nightmare Strike

Also, I'd consider grabbing a reach weapon. Glaive's are in style this time of year with a d10 damage die, with a large glaive bumped up to 2d8. Reach weapons make it more likely that you'll get to use things like Cleave and Steel Wind.

Master_Rahl22
2010-11-12, 01:35 PM
Powerful Build can only be gained by taking certain races. If you don't mind losing a feat, look into Goliath or Half-Giant, especially if LA buyback is allowed. They're both very good races that have the Powerful Build ability to wield weapons for creatures a size larger than they are.

I also agree that you should have an even number of non-Warblade levels for purposes of IL, and that Weapon Focus, Cleave, and Improved Sunder should be avoided.

I will disagree that you should put one of your good scores into Int. The bonuses Warblades get from Int are not worth having a 0 Con or Dex bonus.

Keld Denar
2010-11-12, 01:50 PM
Eh, I like Cleave. Especially if you have a reach weapon, you can usually claim most of your Cleave attacks. Especially when those cleave attacks trigger from a strike like Emerald Razor. Great Cleave, however, is a waste of a feat.

Draje
2010-11-15, 06:21 AM
Powerful Build was ok'd by the DM for story purposes and so I could wield a Large Greatsword (3d6).

Thanks for all the help though! Unfortunately, I can't change my levels because the campaign already started but the help with the strikes and such are awesome! My DM is gonna let me drop Improved Sunder though so YEAH!

Any more advice? I might get rid of Great Cleave though.

Fouredged Sword
2010-11-15, 06:52 AM
Great cleave is not very good. You will see it come into play rarely and all you get is another attack on foes you are killing one hit anyway (ie foes you are not struggling with)

I would consider tradeing it for an extra strike and get crusaders strike. It makes you really really hard to kill unless the mooks throw some large amounts of dice around. Another gem from a cross path is countercharge. Nothing like ignoreing a chargeing foe and placeing him in a fully flanked position. Just the fact that it makes a charge attack go away is very powerful. It will save you a lot of hurt.