PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing A Divination Wizard [PF]

KingVic
2010-11-12, 01:03 PM
I`m making a divination wizard and I need help. I understand his OOC utility but what should i do in combat. Sure, I could cast spells from other schools but I want my wizard to cast more divination spells then other spells. So what kind of divination spells/combos work in combat?

Also, what Prc are good for divination wizards and also work well in PF. Thanks in advance!

Psyren
2010-11-12, 02:29 PM
Splash rogue and go Unseen Seer. Puts lots of oomph behind your divinations and you'll be great in a fight.

You'll also be using lots of divinations to boost your damage like Hunter's Eye, Gravestrike etc.

Eldariel
2010-11-12, 04:59 PM
I`m making a divination wizard and I need help. I understand his OOC utility but what should i do in combat. Sure, I could cast spells from other schools but I want my wizard to cast more divination spells then other spells. So what kind of divination spells/combos work in combat?

Also, what Prc are good for divination wizards and also work well in PF. Thanks in advance!

Well, when working the actual Divination abilities as opposed to Divination-To-Attack, I made a (3.5) build for a Master Diviner 20 as follows: Diviner 5/Divine Oracle 10/Loremaster 1/Fatespinner 4

With PF, you may want to consider more Diviner-levels for the higher level abilities, of course. But basically, what you do depends on your sources. Mostly though, Divination can alter fortune so stuff like that is your turf. Spell Compendium has a spell called "Unluck" which forces target to roll twice for each roll they make and pick the worse one, for example. That's excellent. Alter Fortune from Player's Handbook II allows rerolling one allied roll (but has a small XP component), again very much in vogue with your gameplan.

This guide (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871402/Tsuyoshis_Guide_to_Divination_Spells:_G-ds_Eyes) has a decent listing of potential Divination-spells of interest, including the ones that can be used in combat. Of course, it's 3.5 but c'est la vie; most of the school is untouched in PF and if you're free to use unupdated 3.5 material, it should serve you fine.

Andion Isurand
2010-11-13, 04:52 PM
If you can get your DM to go with it, try and pick up the Spontaneous Divination ACF from Complete Champion,but be sure to look at the errata. If you use this feature, its best to specialize an a school other than divination, or not at all.

Last Laugh
2010-11-13, 05:17 PM
Splash rogue and go Unseen Seer. Puts lots of oomph behind your divinations and you'll be great in a fight.

You'll also be using lots of divinations to boost your damage like Hunter's Eye, Gravestrike etc.
Unseen Seer is a wonderful PrC for this, take the Acidic Splatter reserve feat for reliable methods to Sneak attack.

I prefer spellthief for entry because of the Master Spellthief Feat (you can steal spells up to what you can cast and spellthief levels add to Caster level) (C.Sco.)

Dip binder and go Anima Mage (ToM) gives you wonderful binder utility and x/day free persists (cloud of daggers synergizes with Hunter's Eye tooo well.)

Boosts to Divination Clvl:
Practiced Caster for patchups
Magic Sensitive (Cmage) +1 divination CLvl
Dream Dwarf (RoS) +1 divination Clvl
Talisman of Boccob (CC) +1 divination/knowledge 300GP Holy symbol, anyone can get the benefit tho.

for OVERTHETOPPOWAAAAA
Spontaneous Divination wizard5/Ultimate Magus 10 is the stinkiest thing I can think of....