PDA

View Full Version : The 3rd Birthday

Razaele
2010-11-12, 01:07 PM
So, it looks like the next installment in the Parasite Eve series will be an action title. Honestly, I'm not sure if should be excited or worried. On one hand, I'm happy that Squeenix decided to release a sequel at all. On the other hand, I'm worried that this game might be bad enough that it ruins the only Squeenix (well, it was only Square when the first 2 games came out) series that I ever loved.

Trailer with gameplay scenes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm76mX7AwOo

T.G. Oskar
2010-11-13, 08:01 PM
So, it looks like the next installment in the Parasite Eve series will be an action title. Honestly, I'm not sure if should be excited or worried. On one hand, I'm happy that Squeenix decided to release a sequel at all. On the other hand, I'm worried that this game might be bad enough that it ruins the only Squeenix (well, it was only Square when the first 2 games came out) series that I ever loved.

Trailer with gameplay scenes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm76mX7AwOo

From what I've seen of the game, it has a quite interesting plot, with the trailers delivering just enough to hook you but not enough to spoil everything. Though, I'm a bit sad that Aya's powers suddenly mutated into something else completely different (no Parasite Energy, now she has body-snatching en masse).

What worries me a bit is that it's...neither an RPG nor survival horror. It's...eerily similar to Dino Crisis in scope, battling huge monsters but not really developing into the eerie atmosphere of the first one. Most "survival horror" games (namely Resident Evil) are going into that side, while PE would have worked much like Silent Hill in terms of story, suspense and satisfaction.

So yeah, it doesn't give much hope to the series, though if it at least is better than the second... I...didn't played it, but I had this vibe that the second game would suck compared to the first which is nothing short of a masterpiece.

littlebottom
2010-11-14, 12:01 AM
i feel really nostalgic now... i wish i could still find the first two, they were great games.

the cutscenes look damn pretty, but the gameplay in the trailer looked.... quite bad actually:smallfrown: i dont know whether i have memories of the old ones that ive glorified from how awesome it was when i was only like 10. or if the trailer doesnt do it any justice. at the very least, im going to keep my eye on this.

Razaele
2010-11-14, 10:38 AM
Honestly, I love both Parasite Eve games equally. They've got different gameplay styles, but I thoroughly enjoyed both. Heck, I've even got both on my PSP, and I'm currently playing through Nightmare Mode on the second game.

I wonder though, maybe the body-snatching power has roots in mitochondria?

Since Aya has been steadily increasing her control over her mitochondria-based powers over the years, maybe she was able to fine-tune the ability to control mitochondria like Eve did during the first Parasite Eve game. Eve showed the ability to control and manipulate mitochondria, allowing her to shape it to her will. Maybe this is sort of like an extension of that ability, but instead of removing the mitochondria from the host, Aya instead takes over the host.

Actually, the gameplay reminds me of Dirge of Cerberus. *shudder* Man, I REALLY hope that Squeenix does not screw this up.