PDA

View Full Version : Swiftsiver Vale Campaign IC

Pages : [1] 2

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-12, 01:11 PM
OOC is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9750391#post9750391)

As you roll into the city of Armistice, you do not see the prosperity and equality you have heard so much about. The city appears be far removed from the stories you have heard, as you enter the cities southern gate, into what is see as the human quarter, you can see many humans but not a single orc. As you arrive in the enormous market square, still in the human quarter there are no orcs, not a single one.
“This is bad for buisness” one of the veteran traders, a man named Torken states grimly
“The orcs bought most of our finished goods, we could loose more than half our profit if they dont show up”
“We probably wont be needing you for a few hours, feel free to wander off” adds Sarisa, the leader of the merchant group.

you have free reign, what do you want to do?

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-12, 01:25 PM
Some history:

As you journey through the Drakespine mountains, you may come across a large valley, cut like a wound from the axe of a god. As the vale was fertile it was populated by a large group of orks, who infest those mountains like a plague. For many years orc tribes fought among each other to control the vale, eventually one group of orcs gained dominance over the others. They were able to defend a large part of the valley and they grew and prospered under a series of strong leaders. While it couldn’t exactly be called civilisation it was certainly a cut above the living conditions of most orc clans. The built permanent cities and began to farm. For many years the orcs live in happiness and something that was previously unknown to them. Peace.

Then came men. A group of Humans pushed northward by a defeat at the hands of the ever expanding Edrakar Empire came across this group of orcs. The humans immediately attacked and destroyed a great amount of the orcish civilisation. The orcs fought back with savagery and there were enormous casualties on both sides. Eventually the two sides were forced to make peace in the face of the reality that continuing war would destroy both of them. With most of the vale in ruins they built the city of Armistice on both sides of the river Swiftsilver that bisects their lands. These were devided evenly between orcs and men. For nearly 20 years orcs and men lived apart content to go about their own lives and look to their own concerns.

But the peace could not last; the vale was attacked again, this time by orcs from outside the vale. The ferocity of the invaders would have destroyed either of the groups. But together they managed to fight off the invaders. The warriors of each race learned respect for each other on the battlefield and when peace had been restored again each race recognised the importance of working together. A new age of prosperity was born and the Swiftsilver vale became known all across the north for producing the finest non dwarven weapons in the Drakespine Mountains. Apart from a brief trade war between Swiftsilver Vale and the dwarf hold of Kazrak Dram the region has enjoyed uninterrupted peace, with the exception of the goblin raids that are the constant hazard of life in the north.

AshesOfOld
2010-11-14, 01:44 PM
Lefty slides smoothly down from his horse and stretches his sore legs.
"Oh, these heroic loins were not made for riding" he mutters. After arranging for someone in the caravan to keep his horse safe, he strolls over to a nearby fruitstand and admires the exotic fruits and vegetables the likes of which he has never seen. He strikes up a casual conversation with the owner, asking him about the odd lacking of orcs in the area.

Gather information, if necessary

If the shopkeeper proves hostile, I try to calm him down, buy a few fruits and make friends. Diplomacy
[roll]1d20+10

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-14, 08:32 PM
After arranging for someone in the caravan to keep his horse safe, he strolls over to a nearby fruitstand and admires the exotic fruits and vegetables the likes of which he has never seen. He strikes up a casual conversation with the owner, asking him about the odd lacking of orcs in the area.

"Well, you'v been under a rock for a few days haven't you?" snorts the old lady at the fruit stand. "The chief representative of the human nation was found murdered in his apartments not 5 days ago. I always said those orcs was good for nothing."

AshesOfOld
2010-11-15, 07:37 AM
"Well, you'v been under a rock for a few days haven't you?" snorts the old lady at the fruit stand. "The chief representative of the human nation was found murdered in his apartments not 5 days ago. I always said those orcs was good for nothing."

"You're right, I just came in with a caravan. Murdered, you say? That's horrible! Did they see the orc who did it then?"

Vladislav
2010-11-15, 09:53 AM
A young gnome, his beard well groomed and his hair tied behind him in a short braid, listens intently to the news of the disappeared Orcs.

Well, that's a first. Never thought I'd live to hear a humanfolk lament the absense, rather than presence, of the Fanged Ones. This reminds me of that time, way back, when we cleared uncle Spunky's cellar of rats, only to find it infested by spiders scant weeks later. The rats fed on the spiders, you see. I wonder what Orcs feed on. Omnivores, I reckon. This means, he meticulously explains to anyone willing to listen (which is likely no one), that they'd eat everything. That's what the fangs be for.

Which begs the question, good merchant, that chief representative, was he merely killed or also eaten?

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-15, 10:28 AM
"You're right, I just came in with a caravan. Murdered, you say? That's horrible! Did they see the orc who did it then?"

Well, that's a first. Never thought I'd live to hear a humanfolk lament the absense, rather than presence, of the Fanged Ones. This reminds me of that time, way back, when we cleared uncle Spunky's cellar of rats, only to find it infested by spiders scant weeks later. The rats fed on the spiders, you see. I wonder what Orcs feed on. Omnivores, I reckon. This means, he meticulously explains to anyone willing to listen (which is likely no one), that they'd eat everything. That's what the fangs be for.

Which begs the question, good merchant, that chief representative, was he merely killed or also eaten?

"No" laments the woman "he had been cold for hours, but i never heard of him being eaten." the woman looks increadulously at the gnome "i dont think even the orcs would do that. But," she mused almost to herself "i dont know what the'r capable of, to come in in the dead of night and murdur the man and then to not even have the grace to admit it." She sakes her head. "i dont know what the world is coming too, still" she adds brigtening "would you like to buy some fruit?"

Krull
2010-11-15, 10:44 AM
(with int 6 OMO(Orcy McOrcorc in short) is a little slow on the uptake) EATEN HIM! ORCS DONT EAT HUMAN FLESH! IT TASTES HORRIBLE! AND WHY ARE YOU JUMPING TO THE CONCLUSION THAT AN ORC KILLED THE HUMAN? JUST BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF THE RACE IS MADE OF BLOOD THIRSTY KILLERS! ANYWAY. I DONT WANT YOUR STINKING FRUIT. GIVE ME MEAT!

Vladislav
2010-11-15, 11:07 AM
Ah, so there is at least one Orc here, I see. Terpeen turns toward the large humanoid. Tastes horrible, you say? Well, tell me, friend, if Orcs never eat human flesh, how would one be even aware of its poor culinary qualities?

He comes closer and whispers at the Orc, You did sneak a nibble some time before, did you? Don't worry, I won't tell. Your secret is safe with me.

And yes, dear merchant, I think I'll buy some of them delicious apples. He places some silver coins on the counter.

Krull
2010-11-15, 11:13 AM
you might want to keep mouth shut. never try gnome. heard nice.whilst saying this OMO picks his teeth
intimidate(the gnome)
[roll0]

Vladislav
2010-11-15, 11:16 AM
PCs are immune to Intimidate, but I'll humor you. [roll0]
No offense meant, Mr. Orc. Now, what do you think of that unsavory event. We both agree the killer couldn't have been one of your kind, albeit for different reasons ... but then who?

AshesOfOld
2010-11-15, 11:59 AM
"Yes, my friends, a most interesting conundrum indeed!" Lefty waves his arms vigorously around "And I am sure we are the ones with the wit to solve it. This is surely our path to glory!
Lefty decides on a fruit he doesn't know, a red juicy-looking thing
"I suppose one does not become leader of a nation without making a few enemies. But who would dare such a thing, if it means risking war between orcs and humans?"

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-15, 12:30 PM
"I don't know if you gentlemen have ever heard the proverb "he who wags his tung the most is the most likely to get it cut out"?" the voice from behind you makes you jump, you turn around to see a tall man in a mottled green cloak. the tip of a bow and the hilt of a sword poke out form under the cloak close to his left shoulder. "the people who did this are obviously very dangerous, why don't you let the experts deal with them?" the man strides off casualy bumping Orcy McOrcorc as he walks past. he joins up with a musician who had been performing in a corner of the square and they walk out on one of the squares main roads.

Krull
2010-11-15, 12:34 PM
Man am I glad he did that! Is it to late to charge him? Coz OMO will is pos.

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-15, 12:36 PM
OOC: no, no you can totally charge him. you will just probably die.

Krull
2010-11-15, 12:38 PM
OOC:really? thats annoying. even with plan anti-paladin?

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-15, 12:41 PM
OOC: think about it, he is higher level than you (or just really arrogant) and it stands to reason his friend is too not to mention the town guard who are going to attack you if you start committing murder 1

Krull
2010-11-15, 01:02 PM
OOC: good point. Plan Anti-Paladin might only last one of them...

Vladislav
2010-11-15, 04:30 PM
Pointing at the back of the tall cloaked man, Terpeen asks the merchant, Who's the tough guy? Seems like he has some clout here. And, how about some of those apples? By Uncle Spanky's ashes, they look ripe for eating.

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-15, 04:38 PM
"The apples are a copper piece each dear. i dont know who the tall man is, he and his friends showed up a day after our head representative was murdured. started asking lots of questions, but subtle like. i only heard about it because my friend runs the Irontusk tavern were they stayed. she brings me all of the good gossip." She leans back in her chair with a satisfied smile. "i likes to think i know everything that goes on round here."

Vladislav
2010-11-15, 04:42 PM
How many friends does he have, outside that most esteemed and charismatic performer? And here, have a silver, I'll take me ten of those round and plump wonders of nature.

He bites on one apple, and offers one to Lefty. Mmm, these are solid gold. You haff to try one.

AshesOfOld
2010-11-15, 05:31 PM
Lefty accepts the apple gracefully Thank you Terpeen, that's most kind. I'm a bit worried about our money though. I doubt we'll see much pay, if our dear employers can't make their trade. Besides I don't feel very intimidated by this pompous jerk and his dressed-up fool. We may not match them in hand-to-hand combat, but I am sure we can prove better detectives, and I for one am dying for some drama after that dull roadtrip.
Lefty then turns to the shop-owner once again and pays for his exotic fruit-purchase
Perhaps then, my fair lady, if you know so much about this city, you could tell us if the late Chief Representative had any quarrels one would know about?

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-16, 12:16 AM
No, the representative, his name was Sayrvin by the way, was very well loved. thats how he got elected. but, the orcs have been asking for some more land for a while. See they'v been having a few bad winters, most of the game in the north side of the vale had disappeared. Anyway, the representatives wouldn't have none of it, Sayrvin lead the opposition to the orcs.

AshesOfOld
2010-11-16, 04:22 AM
And so the city stands divided. What a horrible transgression. Lefty looks dreamily into the sky and talks to himself I had looked so forward to experiencing this utopia of peace and diversity, but it seems reality has caught up with me once again. It seems I must create my own adventure, once again.

Elves-as-People
2010-11-16, 09:25 AM
Rowan walks over to the commotion, spring in her step and a slight smile on her lips.
Might someone tell me what's going on right here? Ooo, fruit!

She proceeds to find the plumpest, juiciest berries and asks,
How much are these, madam?

Leahn Novash
2010-11-16, 09:59 AM
Eliel walks in, saying: "While there is a shortage of Orcs, there certainly isn't a shortage of suicidal heroes trying to solve the problems. What are you gonna do, Elf? Herd some Orcs and bring'em here?"

Vladislav
2010-11-16, 03:00 PM
Rowan walks over to the commotion, spring in her step and a slight smile on her lips.
Might someone tell me what's going on right here?[/COLOR]

Hello, m'lady, we were discussing Sayrvin's untimely demise, and the resultant absence of Orcs. Or maybe the absence of Orcs and the resultant demise of Sayrvin. It's hard to say what's the cause and what is the effect. I remember, when I was junior partner in Mulk, Moolk & Moulk Barristers, we had a similar murder case. A man was killed, supposedly by his wife, who was having an affair, or possibly by her lover, and the magistrate could not figure out ... which reminds me, good merchant lady, did this Sayrvin have a family?

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-16, 04:59 PM
"Rumor has it that he had a few mistresses," she smiled mischeveous "but he didn't have a family. he was quite young only about 24 i think. but he was a rising star. a very bright young man."

AshesOfOld
2010-11-16, 06:23 PM
What a pity. I think I would have liked the poor fellow Lefty rustles his long hair thoughtfully And no, Eliel, I doubt that would be very contructive. For some reason I can't help but shake the feeling that the murder isn't as obvious as it seems. Perhaps if one wanted to solve this crime, he should start with looking at the people closest to the chief representative. As a dear colleague of mine put it: It's always the house-slave who did it.

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-16, 08:45 PM
"If you want to do that you'll probalbly have to got to the Human Embassy. Its on river street close to the King Darneus bridge. Oh, and the grapes are a sliver piece a bunch."

Vladislav
2010-11-16, 08:57 PM
I'd like to get to the bottom of this murder. Whoever did this must be brough to justice. This could be, Terpeen strokes his well groomed beard, the case of the decade. Well, maybe not decade, seeing at the Great Elvish Licorice Robbery was brought to trial not eight years ago, but the case of the half-dozen-years for sure. And of course the perpetrators will need someone to represent them in court, which is where I come in. This could be, he waves his arms in excitement, the case that will make Mulk, Moolk and Moulk Barristers sorry for not making me a senior partner!

Obligatory pause to inhale.

Right. Let's get to the embassy and start asking some questions. We also may want to get aquainted with some of his mistresses. Strictly professionally, of course.

Leahn Novash
2010-11-17, 02:33 AM
Eliel looks at him with a puzzled face, "We? Since when there is a we? Who died and made you my king?"

Vladislav
2010-11-17, 09:30 AM
What was that, dearie? Sorry, I was talking to the bard over here.

Leahn Novash
2010-11-17, 09:49 AM
"Yes, of course. My bad. Now excuse me while I'm going to go get drunk in the Tavern, and possibly arrested. Meanwhile, try not to get yourself killed by biting more than you can chew."

Vladislav
2010-11-17, 10:27 AM
Sounds like a plan. And should you need legal help, bail, pre-trial hearing, and such, please do let me know. I'm a certified member of the Chamber of Barristers. Well, almost, there was this one exam...

He turns back to Leftie. Now, where were we? Oh, yes, would you like to go and talk to his house slaves?

Krull
2010-11-17, 12:09 PM
Can't we just kill house slaves? quicker and funer.

Vladislav
2010-11-17, 12:13 PM
There's a big gap between can and should, and sometimes even a bigger one between should and would. Like that time when I was in training to replace Uncle Spanky in his chocolate peddling business. Yes, I could run away with the cart and eat all the candy myself, but ... wait, actually I did. Bad example.

AshesOfOld
2010-11-17, 05:45 PM
A wonderful Idea, Terpeen! I'm glad we're thinking along the same lines. Though I think it best if I talk to the misstresses. We are probably dealing with some fragile girls in pain, and surely famous elven delicacy is what is needed. Lefty gestures broadly to the rest of the band And to you, Eliel, is there no way we can convince you to come along? It has really been a delight to make your acquiantance over the course of our journey, and I would hate if such a promising friendship would suffer so abrupt an end. On that note, my fair lady Rowan, and my colourful friend Krutark, would you care to join us in this promising adventure?

Leahn Novash
2010-11-18, 02:24 AM
"Join you while you try to get yourself arrested, and possibly killed by trying to womanize the representative's harem? I stand a better chance at the Inn. But I will join you again when some real adventure is going to happen."

AshesOfOld
2010-11-19, 04:21 AM
Well, to each his own, I suppose Lefty smoothes his long hair back Let's be off, Terpeen, and whoever's with us. Let's solve some crime!

Vladislav
2010-11-19, 09:18 AM
Crime? What crime? Oh, yes, crime, of course. Let's solve it. Sorry, allowed meself a bit of daydreaming after the "fragile girls in pain" part.

Terpeen follows, excited at the prospect of a new adventure.

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-20, 03:37 PM
Eliel Brokenblade

After asking for directions you head west into the seediest part of the human quarter. after about half an hour of walking you get to a squat warehouse close to the water. all the windows are boarded up and it seem decrepit. Several people have assured you that this is the location of a quite infamous tavern known as the Crave. do you enter or leave?

AshesOfOld
2010-11-21, 08:54 AM
Before goint to the embassy, Lefty checks up with his employers to find out if they have a plan or a meeting time.

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-21, 08:34 PM
Lefty

"feel free to go off on your own," laughs Sarisa "we wont need you to protect our wares from the street urchins. but if you want somewhere to sleep tonight you can bunk with us in the wagons.

Leahn Novash
2010-11-22, 02:19 AM
Eliel enters the place, calmly, and sporting a confident demeanor.

AshesOfOld
2010-11-22, 07:49 AM
Thanks. See you later then. Good luck on the sales. Lefty catches up with Terpeen and walks towards the embassy. So, Terpeen, have you ever had any dealings with harem girls before? I'd die for a story.

Vladislav
2010-11-22, 10:23 AM
I must admit I haven't had the pleasure. I recall our firm representing some of Duke Stromgald's mistresses in a class-suit action against the Duke; better working hours and all, the usual union stuff. But the senior partners completely hogged the case and wouldn't let anyone junior within a Mage Hand range of it, if you know what I mean.

AshesOfOld
2010-11-22, 01:08 PM
Trust me, I know. Once, the famous sea captain, the Scarlet Swan, had me fighting a band of angry halfling thieves, while he canoodled with the band leader's daughter. It worked out in the end though, she kicked him in the groin, and I kept the dagger one of the thieves had stabbed me with. We called it even. Lefty smiles as his thoughts drift.

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-23, 11:55 AM
Eliel Brokenblade

you enter a large room, the roof is low and the smoke from many pipes and a large fireplace have stained the roof black. you look across the room and see men in rags and men in finery. this room is a place were men of all standings can come for a few hours to forget their ranks and their obligations. on the left side of the room is a long bar. in one corner of the room a band of minstrels are striking up a lively tune. games of cards and dice are everywhere and drinks are being consumed in copious amounts.

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-23, 08:52 PM
Lefty, Terpeen and others

you arrive at the embassy, this edifice is one of the largest buildings in the city. the facade of the building is marble and has been carved exquisitely. as you approach the door you see 4 guards in chain armour carrying halbards. they are all human.

Leahn Novash
2010-11-24, 02:30 AM
Eliel walks directly to the bar, "Get me a mug of your finest booze, my fine man."

AshesOfOld
2010-11-24, 12:03 PM
Those are some dangerous looking fellows. I hope we don't have to have an appointment. Lefty smiles nervously to the guards from a distance Who should we talk to first, do you think?

Vladislav
2010-11-24, 12:09 PM
First? To the guards, I presume. Terpeen cuts the Gordian knot. Maybe they can direct us to the deputy ambassador, or his secretary? I'd ask them myself, but I'm awfully short and they're awfully armed.

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-24, 05:57 PM
Eliel Brokenblade

The bartender is a large man nearly 7 feet tall, he has the look of a half orc. a massive greatsword hands behind him on the wall. "Coin up front for your first round" growls the bartender "Do you want wine, beer or something harder?"

Leahn Novash
2010-11-25, 05:44 AM
Eliel places a gold coin on the counter, "Beer, my noble man. Wine is for those sissy elves, and it is too early for something harder."

AshesOfOld
2010-11-25, 06:35 AM
Right you are. *gulp*Lefty approaches the guards Hello my good sirs. We're here to see the secretary of the ambassador. Where might I find him?

diplomacy roll
[roll0]

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-26, 03:06 PM
OOC: sorry i havent been posting as much as i would like. i am having trouble with my modem at home so i have to post at school:smalltongue:

Lefty

The guard turns toward you, looking board an arrogant "You mean Sayrvin? he is not recieving visitors at the moment. unless you have something to contribut to the investigation"

Eliel

The bartender wordlessly draws a pint from one of the numerous kegs that line the wall. "do you want anything else, food? girls? stuff from the back room?"

AshesOfOld
2010-11-27, 07:53 AM
Lefty makes a swooping gesture Well, only the best crime-solvers south of swiftsilver vale! Let us talk to Sayrvin, we'll have this case cracked open in no time!

Vladislav
2010-11-28, 01:38 PM
I also have legal training, Terpeen adds, somewhat encouraged by his charismatic friend.

3 ranks in Profession: Lawyer for the win!

Leahn Novash
2010-11-29, 02:16 AM
Eliel shakes his head, "Nothing else for now, my good man. Just the beer." He sips the beer, ignoring the text, and lowers his head, paying attention to the conversations around him.

(Taking 10 on Listen: 12)

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-29, 10:27 AM
"i guess it couldent hurt" the guards move to let you through then suddenly stop seeing Orcy "Exept him" he hisses "I wont let that scum in!"

Vladislav
2010-11-29, 10:34 AM
Terpeen takes a deep breath, getting ready to climb the proverbial high horse and engage in a lengthy monologue about discrimination, racial bias and class action suits, when he remembers, oh, right, he threatened to eat me. I guess there can be no harm in keeping the half-orc outside for a few minutes, he thinks as he thanks the guards and walks in.

AshesOfOld
2010-11-30, 05:56 AM
It's purely temporary, Krutark. We'll cure these people of their prejudice once we've solved the murder, I'm sure. Why don't you try and find our other friend in the bar while you wait? We can catch up at the caravan later Lefty enters after Terpeen.

Hawkfrost000
2010-11-30, 11:59 PM
a page sitting on a stool inside the door jumps up as it opens. "Hey boy" growls the guard "take these visitors to the Head Ambassador and make it snappy, they are here to help with the investigation"

as you enter the embassy you are immediately struck by how opulent the building is, the inside is covered in fine stucco, imported marble and gold leaf. life sized statues of human heros line alcoves in the walls.

the page takes you down a series of large corridors until you reach a man sized door, seemingly the only average sized door in the building. you enter and find yourself in a lavishly appointed suite and in the midst of a raging crossfire of words between several robed and bejeweled politicians.

"They are massing to invade us!" screams a tall man with a blonde ponytail

"they massed their armies after we called for a full mobilization ourselves, they are reacting right back at us!" a shorter man with brown hair screams back with equal vigor. "how do you expect them to react when you condemn them without trial?"

Vladislav
2010-12-01, 12:24 AM
How very true. Condemnation without trial, ex libris sic habeas corpus, as we call it in the legal business, is indeed fraught with dangers and undermines the basis of the judicial process and the status quid pro quo.

Terpeen looks up at the brown-haired man, short as he may be.

And of course, if you would rather prefer to condemn them with a trial, I can readily help.

Hawkfrost000
2010-12-01, 12:46 AM
the room freezes as your comment echoes round the room.

"Well, how refreshing to see a like mind" says the man with brown hair "my name is Talvar" he says, bobbing in a small bow. "The hart is a noble organ Sayrvin, but if we want to resolve this we are going to have to start thinking with our heads."

"They killed him, and now they are getting ready to attack us and drive us out of the vale like we tried when we first arrived." growls Sayrvin

AshesOfOld
2010-12-01, 06:21 AM
Not to dismiss your claim at all, good sir Lefty gesticulates towards Sayrvin But is there any actual proof to the claim of the murderer being an orc? And to their plot to exude you from this vale?

Hawkfrost000
2010-12-01, 10:27 AM
Sayrvin drops himself into a chair behind what is obviously his desk "No not at all, just the fact that they are waiting on the other side of the river to attack us!"

Krull
2010-12-01, 11:55 AM
For a minute OMO thinks about just breaking in and going on a murder charge, then decides to walk off to find a pub and get drunk.

Vladislav
2010-12-01, 12:16 PM
Has anyone even tried to gather evidence? Crime scene investigation and all? Perhaps we may be of help in such? I have experience working with ... well, "working" is a strong word, but I saw a crime scene investigator once during my legal training. It was, if I recall, three years a go, same day Uncle Spanky broke his leg tumbling from the cellar stairs. He wanted to find out where's that blasted smell coming from, you see - another investigation of sorts, but with a painful end.

AshesOfOld
2010-12-01, 03:13 PM
And wouldn't it be great if we could avoid this conflict escalating further? I'm sure you don't want another war on your hands, now that you have finally achieved peace and prosperity? Is this not the amazing trade city we have heard so much about?

Hawkfrost000
2010-12-01, 03:19 PM
your swift application of real logic to the situation momentarily stuns the politicians.

"they are getting ready to attack us after eliminating our leadership!" exclaims Sayrvin "What more proof do you need?"

Vladislav
2010-12-01, 03:25 PM
So, no investigation of the crime scene, I take it. Have anyone interviewed witnesses? Perhaps the ambassador's lovely missus, or the missuses, as the case may be, saw something? Why you, Sir, Terpeen adresses the tall man with the ponytail, it seems to be a job completely suiting your qualifications, even moreso than running a fruit stand would suit Uncle Spanky, which he did for twenty seven years. You did interview the missuses, did you not?

AshesOfOld
2010-12-01, 05:17 PM
Uhuh. Again, not to sound critical at all, good sir, but have you not done the exact same thing? Thrown accusations at a people for a murder with no actual evidence, and then raised an army to execute their verdict without a trial?
Would it not be wiser to calmly assess the situation before rushing into conflict? Perhaps if you let us look into this crime, we can discover the truth and find justice via the high road, hmm?

Hawkfrost000
2010-12-01, 06:52 PM
Eliel: you are hearing a lot of talk about the murder, you gather the former head ambassadors name was Dirvan. a lot of people are speculating about who could have done it and why. a couple complain bitterly about the supposed orcish attempt do dominate the human part of the Vale, one conversation does manage to catch your attention, a couple of men who look fairly sober are discussing the murder in hushed tones.

"Im friends with one of the guard captains right? so i heard from him that the way he was killed didn't look like it was an orc that did it. He had been shot with a crossbow, the bolt was poisoned. thats not their style at all. also he had been finished off with a bladed weapon, but my friend said it looked like something that a shortsword would have done, you know, stabbing wounds not the slashing you would get from a weapon that i know most of the orcs favor"

Hawkfrost000
2010-12-01, 07:25 PM
"for your information" sneers Sayrvin "we have done plenty of "investigation" he was murdered with weapons typical of any assassin, poison, a crossbow and some form of stabbing weapon."

Leahn Novash
2010-12-02, 06:26 AM
Eliel approaches the man, and posting himself in front of him, he says sternly, "You want to go outside talk to me."

AshesOfOld
2010-12-02, 07:42 AM
Was he now? Not exactly the tools of of the trade for an orc, but lets not rule anything out quite yet. How did it happen? Did the assassin slip in under cover of darkness? Did anyone catch a glimpse of him?

Vladislav
2010-12-02, 01:15 PM
Crossbow? Poison? Doesn't sound like Orcus modus operandi, eh, that means Orcs' operating method. 'Least not any Orc I know. And believe me, I know an Orc. Just had a nice conversation with one in the marketplace. Threatened to eat me. Don't strike me as a poisoned crossbow user, the lot of them. Now, had there been axe wounds on the body, that's another thing, I'd suspect an Orc right away. Or a dwarf, dwarves are handy with dem axes too, but I digress. Where was I? Yes, seems all wrong, this modus.

Anyone else but Orcs may want him dead?

Hawkfrost000
2010-12-02, 05:30 PM
Eliel: "You wanna mess son?" asks the man, looking at this moment quite scary.

Others: "No, we didn't catch a glimpse of him" says Sayrvin going from looking angry to looking degected "there were signs of a struggle but none of us heard anything." Sayrvin now looks miserable. "my rooms are right beside his and i heard nothing"

AshesOfOld
2010-12-03, 05:31 AM
I'm sorry for you. I can understand why you want to find the one who did this as soon as possible. Do him justice. But we can be sure that whoever the assassin was, he was most likely hired by someone else to do it. So I repeat my friend's question: Did he have any other enemies?

Leahn Novash
2010-12-03, 10:33 AM
Eliel holds his stance, "If that suits your fancy. What I said was not a question. You're coming with me, by diplomacy, bribery or violence. The method is of your choosing. The outcome is not."

Hawkfrost000
2010-12-06, 05:23 PM
Lefty and Terpeen:

"His only political enemies were the orcs, they kept demanding more land. about a month ago they walked out of parliament and refused to negotiate anymore until their demands were met." said Sayrvin "He new that it would eventually come to this"

Eliel:

"so, you wanna fight eh?" the man looks over to the bartender "Charg, spear!" the bartender tosses him a shortspear. "lets see what color your innards are!" he sneers, "but first, i like my meat well done"

a ray of intense head springs from his hand spearing straight towards you. (roll in the OOC)

Vladislav
2010-12-07, 12:35 AM
Sense Motive [roll0]
Yes, I have a negative modifier. Not expecting much success here.

Terpeen whispers to the Bard, I don't think there's any more information to be gleaned here. These people seem to be rather entrenched in their opinions. Maybe we can investigate the scene of the crime? Or would you rather have a drink, I bet Eliel had saved us a nice seat by the fire.

Hawkfrost000
2010-12-07, 12:45 AM
Terpeen: you got nothing on the sense motive other than that Sayrvin seems sincere.

AshesOfOld
2010-12-07, 09:03 AM
No, I'm feeling rather curious. I'm certain we can discover something that these men did not. Lefty adresses Sayrvin Would you mind if we continued our investigation at the scene of the crime? I believe we might be of help to you here.

Diplomacy 1d20+10

Vladislav
2010-12-08, 12:36 AM
I concur. Always found crime scene investigations to be very helpful, not to mention relaxing.

Assist Other Diplomacy DC 10 [roll0]

Hawkfrost000
2010-12-09, 01:45 AM
"Their right Sayrvin" says Talvar "we should give them a detachment of guard and send them to the murder scene, we need a new pair of eyes on this anyway."

you are escorted by the page to the barracks at the back of the building. there you meet the guards who are going to to with you, they introduce themselves. they are Toros, specialises with a greataxe, Oron specializing with a longspear, Artreos spedcialising with a bow and Vardaan specialising with a bastard sword.

the page gives you directions for the House of Representatives, were the murder took place.

Vladislav
2010-12-09, 01:49 AM
Our own detachment? Wow, I have never commanded troops in my life ... Terpeen gushes, then takes a look at their weapons and stature, and quickly adds, but I'm really in no hurry to start. You excellent gentlemen seem to know what you're doing very well, so if we could just go to the house of representatives, that would be absolutely peachy, or as we say, nota bene.

Hawkfrost000
2010-12-09, 10:21 AM
the guardsmen shrug "sure, we'll take you there." says Artreos "you guys cant solve this mystery fast enough!"

Vladislav
2010-12-09, 10:53 AM
Do we see Krutark along the way, or has he disappeared into some shady pub? If we see him,

Psst, Lefty, it's the Orc. Maybe we should ask him to join our investigative unit? An extra pair eyes, can never hurt. An extra pair of fangs, on the other hand...

Krull
2010-12-09, 10:59 AM
that would probably depend on if I had been thrown out or not, and when I entered i was in the mood for i fight and would have taken the first chance for one, but its the DM's decision.

Hawkfrost000
2010-12-09, 11:56 AM
that would probably depend on if I had been thrown out or not, and when I entered i was in the mood for i fight and would have taken the first chance for one, but its the DM's decision.

sorry dident you go off somewere for a drink? (a disturbing trend in our campaign) if you are still at the embassy then they see you and invite you to come along.

Krull
2010-12-09, 12:19 PM
sorry dident you go off somewere for a drink? (a disturbing trend in our campaign) if you are still at the embassy then they see you and invite you to come along.

i was talking about getting thrown out of the pub.

Hawkfrost000
2010-12-09, 12:21 PM
depends which pub you walk into, but off the top of my head i will say yes given your current psychopathic streak.

Krull
2010-12-09, 12:45 PM
depends which pub you walk into, but off the top of my head i will say yes given your current psychopathic streak.

He was just going to a pub, he would be at the first one he found

AshesOfOld
2010-12-09, 06:26 PM
Well, in case we see our friend
Yes, we should take him along, the more the merrier! Lefty hails Krutark, and waves him over Care to join us, my friend? We're solving crimes over here, hahah!

Leahn Novash
2010-12-14, 11:02 AM
Eliel sees the enemy attacking him and readies himself for battle. "I did not intend to do things this way," he thinks, "but I guess that's what I get when I go to the shaddiest part of the town." He sees an opening when the foe casts an spell at point blank range, and tries to punch the enemy in the face, missing by an inch. He steps aside for more room and draws his weapons. He swings both against the enemy, the sword missing again, but the mace striking true on the foe's stomach. "It had to be this way, wasn't it?" he says. "You humans understand nothing but battle."

Hawkfrost000
2010-12-14, 04:54 PM
The man barely lets the pain show as he dances back out of range of your sword and mace. He hits you with two more rays of heat, it seems even stronger than the first. He laughs, "we may only understand combat but at least we understand it well"

rolls in the OOC

also roll a perception check

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-02, 01:59 PM
and, we are back!

so the 3 musketeers are back together and are heading to the House of Representatives along with 4 of the Embassy's guards.

Vladislav
2011-01-03, 01:55 PM
Terpeen regards the entrance with suspicion, mixed with awe. His first real murder case! Actually, his first real case, period. It's possible we're retracing the murderer's steps right now, so tread with care.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-03, 02:26 PM
Toros snorts with derision

"what me esteemed colleague means to say" says Artreos, giving Toros a withering look "is that that is extremeley unlikely, but it might be worth a shot."

AshesOfOld
2011-01-03, 03:14 PM
Heads held high, my friends! Lefty side-steps the guards, opens the door and then pauses. Perhaps if I start with questioning the witnesses, you can search the room where the murder took place? Would that be alright?

Vladislav
2011-01-03, 03:19 PM
Having long ago noted that Lefty is the people-person of this small group, Terpeen nods in agreement.

Certainly. This of course will require for these distinguished gentlemen to point me in the direction of said room, wouldn't want to spend valuable time and resources searching for the room, and only then starting to search for clues, would we not? Why search twice when one search will do, yes? Any shortcuts will be welcome.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-03, 03:33 PM
"Right this way" says Artreos "I'll take you the fastest way but there are not shortcuts, no secret passages. this place was designed to be impregnable, it was originally a fortress built by us and we still maintain it today. just the inside has been changed."

Vladislav
2011-01-03, 03:43 PM
Thank you very much. Terpeen also makes a mental note that Artheos is the people-person among the four guards, while Toros obviously is not. Once in the room:

Where exactly was the body found and in which pose? Was it the fetal position? Were there signs of struggle? Was the room cleaned after the murder? Did anyone touch anything?

Then he starts investigating for clues. First, he surveys the room with Detect Magic.

[roll0] Spellcraft

Then he moves to more mundane means of searching.

[roll1] Search
[roll2] Spot

If the initial search yields nothing of interest, and there's time until Lefty's return, will keep looking (ie. take 20 on Search for a total of 22)

AshesOfOld
2011-01-03, 04:18 PM
Lefty takes the other two guards with him inside. Do we know who were in the building on the night of the murder? Where can we find these people? he asks the guards as they walk.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-03, 04:37 PM
once you are all in the room:

Vardaan steps forward, "i was on duty at the time" he says "you can see the signs of a struggle" he gestures to the bed, the bookshelves, carpets and the two comfortable looking armchairs. they are ripped and torn, one of the bookshelves has been broken and books are lying everywhere ripped and tattered. "when we found Dirvan he had two big wounds, one from a crossbow, the other from a shortsword, but he was covered with tiny bit marks like he had been attacked by, i dont know, rats or something" he shuddered. "there was blood everywere you can see the stains, it was like something you would see on a battlefield."

Terpeen: there was some magic used in this room, but it has faded. however you still get the feeling that it is more powerful than anything you could do.

you cant find much other than what Vardaan has shown you, the window and door are both intact and dont show signs of being forced.

Artheos turns to Lefty "our best guess is that the murder took place in the early hours of the morning, so other than the rest of the permanent residents there was no one here the orcish ambassador, his names Orakar, and a few of his servants, also Dirvan's servants. Everyones still here, except for the orcs: they'v barricaded themselves into their Embassy."

Vladislav
2011-01-03, 04:44 PM
Crossbow, shortsword and now rats? The plot became thicker than Uncle Spanky's turnip soup.

From the fact the door and window haven't been forced, we can conclude he knew his assassins, can we not? Terpeen muses, more to himself than anyone else, then turns to Vardaan. Tell me, did you ever get into any trouble for negligence? You know, not pointing any fingers of course, but it was your watch after all. Did anyone get any idea that ... the end of the sentence is drowned by a sudden fit of cough, followed by a sympathetic look.

Using sense Motive on Vardaan, with whatever meager Wisdom I have (-1 modifier), roll for me out of thread plz, as I don't want to know how high I rolled

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-03, 11:55 PM
The roll:

[roll0]

Vardaan laughs "No i didn't, not since the man outside this very door didn't hear a thing. i was a few doors down looking after Sayrvin" he looks perplexed "still, its very odd that no-one heard anything"

you can sense no ulterior motive

AshesOfOld
2011-01-04, 05:15 AM
That is strange. One should think the guard right outside would hear the noise of weapons and... tiny animals. Ugh. Who was the door-guard, by the way?
Lefty starts to look a little confused, then gathers himself again.
What happened when you found the body, Vardaan? Did it turn ugly with the orcish embassy members?

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-04, 03:06 PM
"It was a guard named Mattan, i think we have taken him into custody on suspicion of murder. He should be in the dungeons here. i know him, he is a good man, he would rather die than kill Dirvan, but i cant blame the guard for being through." Vardaan looks sad.

AshesOfOld
2011-01-05, 05:05 AM
Of course not, Vardaan. But we'll clear his name soon enough, don't worry. Could you be so kind as to lead me to your dungeon, so I can have a chat with him?

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-05, 11:33 AM
Vardaan brightens "Sure, right this way."

Vladislav
2011-01-06, 12:44 PM
Hey ho, hey ho, into the dungeon we go ...

Terpeen starts to hum an old gnomish kids' song, but soon enough even he realizes such levity doesn't fit the present situation, and keeps himself quiet for the rest of the descent.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-06, 07:36 PM
Vardaan leads you down several flights of stairs into a small passageway under the cellars. on either side of the passageway you can see many small cells. the cells and dry and clean. at the end on the right a man is lying on a cot in the cell staring at the ceiling. he gets up as you approach "Mattan, these people need to talk to you about the murder". "alright" says Mattan, all buisness "what do you need to know?"

Vladislav
2011-01-06, 08:51 PM
Well, firstly, if you did it, I advise you, as your potential lawyer, to admit to it. With sincere confession, I can help commute the death sentence into mere life imprisonment.

AshesOfOld
2011-01-07, 07:26 AM
Lefty looks sheepishly at Terpeen for a momentHeh, what my friend here is trying to say is that we won't judge anyone until we know all the facts of the case. Now why don't you start from the beginning?

Sense motive roll on Mattan:
[roll0]
Man we are idiots at this.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-07, 04:38 PM
Mattan sighs "there isn't much to say really, i never even heard anything" he looks at the floor "the only time i noticed anything suspicious was when he didn't come for breakfast at dawn like usual. i wish i could have done something, anything! but i didn't, i failed him."

Krull
2011-01-08, 07:46 AM
Orcy asks one of the guards- Is anyone else in room who know stuff?
if yes he goes to them, draws his Greataxe, and interrogates them.- What you know?
Intimidate: [roll0]

AshesOfOld
2011-01-08, 07:49 AM
Lefty looks at him sympathetically. It's quite alright, as you say, you couldn't do anything. Tell me, what happened when you started getting suspicious? Did you open the door or alert other guards first? Try to describe the scene when you first entered the room.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-08, 02:01 PM
everyone steps back, looking extremely surprised to find that the orc isn't just asleep on his feet. Mattan replies, after stepping back out of greataxe range "I dont know what you heard from those politicians, but everything i told you was the truth"

Krull
2011-01-09, 06:07 AM
Orcy hesitates for a second, grunts, and lowers his axe.

AshesOfOld
2011-01-09, 08:37 AM
That's, Lefty looks completely dumbfounded, a valid question, Krutark. I was afraid you'd gotten bored by all this conversation. So mattan, back to my previous question...

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-09, 12:34 PM
Mataan leans against the bars eyes cast down and unfocused "It was horrible" he says softly "everything had been ripped and torn apart, i think you have seen the room, so you will have an idea what it was like. but lying in the center of it all was Dirvan... i mean the ambassador. he was covered in bite marks and the wet blood had stained his bedclothes red, in some places the flesh had been ripped away from the bone." he shudders "i have fought creatures, monsters, orcs and humans, for twenty years and i have never seen anything like it."

Vladislav
2011-01-09, 01:15 PM
Interesting. Had some magical training myself, happened to major in Imagineering*, but let's see if I recall something useful, Terpeen says, running his fingers through his beard thoughtfully.

[roll0] Knowledge (whichever applies)
[roll1] Spellcraft (does it sound like the effect of Summon Swarm spell?)

* other may know them as "Illusion spells", but illusionists themselves don't like the term "illusion", and prefer Imagineering.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-09, 01:50 PM
Terpeen:

you think someone probably used a summon swarm, but you still have no idea how they got into the room

AshesOfOld
2011-01-10, 02:51 PM
Do you have an idea of what to make of this, Terpeen? I don't know if I've even heard stories about this kind of thing. Mattan, can you think of anything else that may help our investigation? Anything you can think of. It may just help free yourself from this predicament.

Vladislav
2011-01-10, 04:33 PM
I seem to recall the effects on the dead being similar to a Summon Swarm spell. My Conjuration professor showed it to me once, but I didn't master it ... couldn't stand the smell of rats.

If we could investigate who in town can cast this spell, it can be another lead. Although it's not a high level spell, so might be quite a few wizards to look into.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-10, 06:01 PM
"i have been thinking about it myself" says Mattan "none of the guards would do this, none of us are magic users so we couldn't use that spell you were talking about. we also take several oaths that prevent us from harming the ambassadors unless we have conclusive evidence that they are traitors" Mattan looks grim "politicians and their assassins don't have those inhibitions"

Krull
2011-01-11, 10:17 AM
This prove orcs no do it. Orcs no do magic.

AshesOfOld
2011-01-11, 11:23 AM
Maybe not Krutark, but anyone could have hired a magician for the right price. You said it yourself, Terpeen, the mage doesn't have to be very powerful. But if it is magic, and not some rat trainer or whatever, then it does narrow it down somewhat.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-11, 11:37 AM
Mattan looks at Kutark and snorts "what plane are you from? Orakar the head Orcish Ambassador is a cleric!"

Vladislav
2011-01-13, 11:54 AM
Really? But, as far as I know, clerics are not into that rat summoning thing. Any wizards among them then?

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-13, 11:57 AM
Mattan shrugs "not that i know of", the others agree with him

Vladislav
2011-01-13, 12:00 PM
Terpeen sighs, trying to gather the facts of the matter in his head, then turns to his associates.

Perhaps we should go seek this wizard capable of casting Summon Swarm? Ask through some seedy taverns, perhaps even place a faux employment add? Seems like the only lead we have ...

AshesOfOld
2011-01-13, 01:07 PM
Sure, why not. It could prove interesting. Although dangerous. Pulling a ploy on mages, after all. Although it does seem like there were not one, but two or maybe three assassins. The crossbow could belong to the mage, but a shortsword would be a rogues instrument.
I also want to question the people who knew the ambassador personally. Neither Sayrvin nor the guards seem to know who could be behind this, but maybe his family or a lover would know. Someone he would confide in.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-13, 09:13 PM
"why don't we take you to his family?" suggests Oron

Vladislav
2011-01-13, 10:41 PM
And after we talk to the family, let's not forget his loved ones, if you know what I mean. I heard he had a few.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-14, 02:58 PM
"sure" says Oron rolling his eyes "But i have no idea who they are"

AshesOfOld
2011-01-15, 11:11 AM
Well, perhaps his family can help us with that as well. Yes, Oron, lead the way!

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-15, 09:25 PM
Oron and the others take you to a well appointed residential district. the large blocky buildings, they look like your standard apartment buildings exept that the flats look large and well appointed. Oron still leading walks down the street looking left and right rather aimlessly, then suddenly he seems to find what he is looking for and leads you up the stairs of one of the buildings until you get to a flat with a door that has been recently painted black, "a local tradition" explains Vardaan "you should see the place when there is a war on"

Krull
2011-01-16, 09:19 AM
Why see when war on?

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-16, 01:35 PM
Vardaan laughs a humorless laugh "because about half the doors on these buildings are black, makes the place look really gloomy"

Vladislav
2011-01-16, 10:55 PM
Can't really blame them, whenever I see a red door I want to paint it black too.

Sorry, couldn't resist

AshesOfOld
2011-01-17, 04:30 AM
Yes, well Lefty steps up and knocks on the door. I can relate to this tradition. It's not easy facing up when your whole world is black.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-17, 07:02 PM
after you knock a few times an old woman opens the door, "oh, i guess you are here about Dirvan"

AshesOfOld
2011-01-18, 03:44 PM
That we are. Lefty bows courteously. We are investigating his murder. May we come in, mrs?

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-18, 08:14 PM
"Alright" she sighs "why don't you come into the living room. i have a kettle on"

Vladislav
2011-01-18, 11:20 PM
Exquisite. Do you have herbal tea, if I may be so bold as to ask? Black makes it impossible for me to fall asleep afterwards.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-19, 12:13 PM
she cracks a smile "its the same for me dear" she ushers them into a well appointed living room. "the guards stay out" she says firmly. in the living room a fire burns, heating a kettle and iluminating the tapestries and carpets that cover the walls and floor. A couch that is flanked by two comfortable arm chairs. "The kettle is almost boiled, but we might as well get started, Kareed we have visitors"

An old man sitting on the couch looks up from a book, his hair is black and grey with far more grey than black. "Hello, i'm Kareed. i suppose you'r here about my son."

Vladislav
2011-01-19, 12:32 PM
Terpeen gives the guards a sympathetic shrug. He feels sorry that they have to wait outside while he drinks tee. He'll save some cookies or crumpets for them ... if he doesn't forget.

I'm very sorry about your loss. What can you tell us about your son?

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-19, 12:53 PM
"i never wanted him to be a politician, our family is soldiers by trade. has been since the first war. he wanted to help people" he snorts "the way to help people is to prevent these murders from happening, not spending your days talking about doing things and never really doing anything."

Vladislav
2011-01-21, 10:46 AM
Talking about doing things ... I reckon he didn't make many enemies then?

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-21, 04:12 PM
no real enemies just politicians who didn't like his style, he always put humans first. He was a good kid, always working for his people

AshesOfOld
2011-01-23, 06:10 AM
So he was a popular man then?
Lefty sits at the edge of the couch with big eyes, listening attentively.
Even among the orcs?

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-23, 01:56 PM
"He had a few enemies, but nobody i know of would have done anything like this. However, for the last few years the orcs have repeatedly asked for more land. They may have gotten frustrated enough that they decided that whoever succeed Dirvan would be easier to negotiate with, Tomal was the favorite for succession but i have heard that Sayrvin is also gaining power."

Vladislav
2011-01-25, 10:02 AM
What I will tell you now may be difficult for you to hear. I apologize in advance, but this is important.

Terpeen tells the grieving parents about the condition of the room, and his suspicions of the Summon Swarm spell.

Would any of his enemies have access to such spell?

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-27, 05:58 PM
ooops, sorry i havnt responded yet, i though i did :smalleek:

Heh, now your asking the right questions. you see i used to be a warmage when i was in the service. i still have a little of the tallent, but im sorry to say that just about every magic user worth the name in this vale can cast that spell. but, thats not what you should be looking for...

AshesOfOld
2011-01-27, 07:36 PM
As enthralled by a good dramatic pause as any bard, Lefty gulps and looks at Kareed with big eyes.
It's not? Then what?

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-27, 09:56 PM
The questions you want to be asking are, which of those magic uses have the resources to actually kill Dirvan.

he stands up and begins to pace around you.

You will have to forgive me, i was trained to think like this. you say the two entrances to his room?

Vladislav
2011-01-27, 11:19 PM
Window and door. Terpeen doesn't passes a chance to be helpful.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-27, 11:40 PM
But the room had a chimney, it must. the winters get awfully cold around here. Kareed grins "how big was it? ill bet it was big enough for someone to get down."

Vladislav
2011-01-27, 11:44 PM
Terpeen scratches the back of his neck thoroughly, as if his life depended on whether he can get rid of that itch or not.

Chimney? I ... didn't notice if there was. Although now that you mention, it is a bit chilly, so maybe ... He drinks some of the hot tea.

[[OOC: was there a chimney?]]

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-27, 11:50 PM
OOC: Yup:smallbiggrin:

And if it was, how likely would you have been to look up it? you see i have used this method of entrance a few times myself in my youth. its almost flawless, the only problem is you leave large scuff marks were your feat, hands and back rub away the soot. you should go back and check. however, if there isn't then i'm afraid i don't have any idea how i can help you.

AshesOfOld
2011-01-29, 05:52 AM
Well, then I guess we'd better go back. I thank you for your assistance, though I am afraid it won't help us find who did it, only how they did it.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-29, 12:34 PM
oh, one more thing

he looks apologetic

Sorry, i nearly forgot. head to the irontusk inn if you are looking to gather information. talk to Tiresse, the barmaid. she will be able to set you up with someone.

Vladislav
2011-01-30, 06:38 PM
Thank you, Kareed, you have been most helpful. With your help, we just might get me a client ... I mean, find out who did it.

If you don't mind, can I trouble you for a sheet of paper? If the culprit's boots left a mark, we may want to take am imprint.

Terpeen follows Lefty back to the scene of the crime.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-30, 09:53 PM
Sure says Kareed

the first half of your walk is calm, however as you return to the more traveled areas closer to the river there is increasing unrest. people, all humans, are milling about in the streets there is lots of loud talk and most of it seems to involve violence. in a couple of areas things seem to be getting dangerous but the Guardsmen quickly move in and settle things.

but you know its only a matter of time until this city explodes into violence.

AshesOfOld
2011-01-31, 07:28 AM
I really thought this would be my kind of city, Terpeen. I'm beginning to think it really isn't. I didn't come here to get involved in some kind of war!

Vladislav
2011-01-31, 09:52 AM
Yes, I must say I'm disappointed too, as criminal law is most likely to be suspended during war. The more reason for us to solve this mystery then!

Krull
2011-01-31, 10:20 AM
Orcy goes and sees hat the fighting is about

Vladislav
2011-01-31, 11:03 AM
Terpeen gives the guards a sympathetic shrug. He feels sorry that they have to wait outside while he drinks tee. He'll save some cookies or crumpets for them ... if he doesn't forget.

Guess what ... he forgot.

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-01, 07:10 PM
its less fighting and more a lot of people talking angrily together.

"i heard those orcs are marshaling their army"
"are they going to attack us?"
"who knows, but im heading south. i have relatives there so ill be safe if anything happens"
"their probably going to invade"
"your a coward for leaving"
"what did you call me?"
"you heard me, a coward!"
"Raaaaagh!"

at this point one of the men, the "coward", tackles another. he is quickly set upon by others and the group turns into a brawl.

Krull
2011-02-02, 10:21 AM
Orcy wanders whether to join someone or make his own team :smallbiggrin:

Vladislav
2011-02-02, 10:31 AM
People, people, stop fighting! Remember, the real enemy is outside the gates!

Just in case, Terpeen takes some colored dust from his pocket (more of a colored pocket lint, actually) and gets ready to throw it at whoever attacks him.

Readied action to cast Color Spray

Krull
2011-02-02, 11:56 AM
Orcy joins the fight, swinging his axe at the nearest brawler. (he doesn't care if the others are armed or not, if not its there fault.)
Going for non-lethal damage so to avoid court.
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-02, 02:23 PM
a man screams and falls clutching a massive bloody wound in his side (product of Kutark's axe) after a few moments he stops thrashing as his life's blood drains onto the cobbles.

"Goddamit, the orcs are already attacking!" screams a man
"kill him!" Screams another

the mob of 7 men lunges at Kutark

rolls to hit:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Vladislav
2011-02-02, 02:37 PM
WTF, I like a good killing as much as anyone else, but he did specify he was doing nonlethal damage

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-02, 02:39 PM
How do you do nonleathal damage with an axe? :smalltongue:

Vladislav
2011-02-02, 02:41 PM
Strike with the flat side of the blade of course. Almost any melee weapon can deal nonlethal damage if you accept a -4 penalty on your attack roll (which he did)

It's in the PHB:

Nonlethal Damage with a Weapon that Deals Lethal Damage

You can use a melee weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage instead, but you take a -4 penalty on your attack roll.

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-02, 05:01 PM
ok, i just checked the rules, sorry about that. i didnt have the book on me when i responded my bad:smallredface:

in which case, Kutak has merely knocked out the man, but they still attack

AshesOfOld
2011-02-02, 05:39 PM
Holy ..., this is spiralling out of control.
Lefty shouts his lungs out EVERYONE STOP! hoping to get people's attention for just long enough for his Fascinate spell to work.

Fascinate: Lefty starts an endearing and fascinating tale (shouting it) about comradeship, peace and union between species
90 ft range, Perform check: is DC for will save against becoming entranced.
Concentration check, if necessary: [roll1d20+2

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-02, 05:55 PM
will saves (they need crits)

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

all but one of the men stop attacking and the last one stops when he realizes that he is the only one going up against someone who can knock him out cold

3 guardsmen run up to lefty
are these men giving you trouble?

Vladislav
2011-02-02, 08:18 PM
Terpeen hastens to answer in lieu of the Bard. He's not sure how those things work, and he suspects the fascination will wear off as soon as the bard stops ... screaming!?

This Orc is a valuable member of an investigative unit. And these townsfolk just attacked him for no reason, right after he attacked them for no reason.

But please don't punish them too harshly. They didn't know.

AshesOfOld
2011-02-03, 07:34 AM
Lefty continues his speech, smiling broadly and clapping people's shoulders. He gestures dismissively at the guards, and beckons to Krutark to follow Terpeen.

Krull
2011-02-03, 10:20 AM
By the way, the two 16 rolls did hit.

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-03, 08:28 PM
Damage:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-04, 10:13 AM
the guards leave, after dragging the injured man away to a healer.

you continue with your walk and shortly you are back at the scene of the crime

Vladislav
2011-02-04, 10:15 AM
Well, let's look up the chimney; I may have missed it the first time.

Terpeen gets ready to take imprints, if there are any marks.

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-04, 01:11 PM
there is indeed a chimney and inside are the telltale scuff marks as described by Kareed

However, there is no discernible footprints, not enough detail.

Vladislav
2011-02-04, 03:30 PM
What width is the chimney? Enough for a human-sized creature, orc-sized, halfling-sized?

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-04, 05:17 PM
it would be tight for an orc but just about any medium sized creature could get up it.

you suddenly notice just how late it is, the sun is disappearing behind the mountains and darkness is gathering in the streets bellow.

Vladislav
2011-02-04, 05:18 PM
Maybe we could take a look at the rooftop before sundown? If the assassin came out the same way he came it, he no doubt left a trail of soot on the roof.

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-04, 05:30 PM
Toros, there is a stairway that goes up to the roof right? asks Varadan

Yeah, follow me

Toros leads you down the hall and into one of the servants corridors then up a narrow set of stars until you finally emerge through a trapdoor onto the roof

the wind has picked up and it is starting to get cold, the setting sun has tinted the entire cityscape a creamy orange. not too far away you can the merchant caravan setting up for the night.

Here we are says Toros with a satisfied air Were lucky it hasn't rained crossing his hands over his chest. a ring glints on one finger.

leading out of the chimney are more sooty marks and preserved in a hollow were one of the tiles is slightly lower than the surrounding ones is a perfect footprint.

AshesOfOld
2011-02-05, 07:48 AM
Do you recognize that footprint as belonging to any specific race, Terpeen?

Lefty sees if he can find any trail leading off the building, to determine a direction.
Search [roll0]

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-05, 12:17 PM
the foot is bare, it is long and thin with elongated toes. it could have been an elf's foot but it could also have been a thinner than average human.

EDIT: judging by the direction of the foot he ran off the west side of the roof, hopping a narrow alley or lowering himself into it.

Vladislav
2011-02-05, 12:41 PM
Do you know what's in that direction? Terpeen asks, desperately hoping the guards put some ranks in Knowledge (Local) have good knowledge of the city.

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-05, 01:38 PM
houses mostly says Varadan

and the Irontusk adds Oron

Vladislav
2011-02-05, 02:11 PM
Irontusk, sounds familiar ... Lefty, isn't that the place Kareed mentioned? Shall we go there and take a looksee?

AshesOfOld
2011-02-06, 06:03 AM
Peachy! Lefty exclaims. Always up for a little tavern run. And I'm sure you are too, Krutark?

Krull
2011-02-06, 07:09 AM
OF COURSE!

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-06, 07:58 PM
I cant let you do that, i'm sorry says Toros

Arteos speaks for the first time What the hell do you mean you cant let us?

Vladislav
2011-02-06, 08:03 PM
Uhm, Toros, I don't know what kind of alcohol rules you have in this town, but let me assure you, we have no intention of breaking any of them.

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-06, 11:07 PM
Toros slowly takes out his Greataxe

its not that he says attempting a smile, then becoming serious again Please, dont, just dont. if you do i will have to stop you.

Vardan also has his Bastard Sword out Toros what the F*** is this? i outrank you an i order you stand down

Oron steps between them Woah! lets not do anything hasty, if we do im sure we will all regret it. Toros what is going on?

Vladislav
2011-02-06, 11:19 PM
Hey Toros ... look at the lovely lights ... look at the lights.
Terpeen waves his hands, and a mass of swirling lights appears. Can the axe-wielding soldier keep himself from being mesmerized by it?

Hypnotic Pattern, Will 15 or become fascinated

AshesOfOld
2011-02-07, 06:12 AM
Lefty slowly and discreetly slides his sword out, readying a disarm attempt on Toros. He tries to signal the orc to wait with all the killing.

Krull
2011-02-07, 10:23 AM
Orcy(who had already got his axe out,) looked annoyed, but lowered his axe anyway.

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-07, 12:16 PM
Will save

[roll0]

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-07, 07:41 PM
Toros falls under the influence of the spell

No, can't, gotta warn

then he just stands there, eyes glazed staring into the middle distance

AshesOfOld
2011-02-08, 03:49 AM
Lefty sheathes his sword and moves in to empty Toros hands of his axe.

Alright, what on earth was that about?

Krull
2011-02-08, 10:14 AM
orcy keeps his axe out in case he try's unarmed fighting

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-08, 01:46 PM
i have no idea, i swear says Artreos

We should ask him says Vardaan gesturing to the still hypnotized Toros

Vladislav
2011-02-08, 01:58 PM
Terpeen just stands there, face red from the need to concentrate on the pattern of lights ... well, ask him then, quickly.

AshesOfOld
2011-02-08, 04:48 PM
I'll try to rephrase myself.
Lefty coughs.
Toros, why did you attack us? Who are you working for? You can tell us, you will come to no harm if you tell the truth, I swear.

Diplomacy [roll0]

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-08, 05:01 PM
The Hunters didn't want you to know responds Toros in a flat voice

AshesOfOld
2011-02-08, 07:04 PM
The hunters? Who are the hunters, Toros?

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-08, 07:11 PM
Dont know names, an elf and two men, one with a bow the other with a lute

AshesOfOld
2011-02-09, 06:09 AM
Holy cow, it's the guys we bumped into in the market! The ones that overheard us!

Why are you working for them, Toros? Are they the real assassins?

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-09, 10:16 AM
No, they are the hunters

Vladislav
2011-02-09, 10:27 AM
They hunt for the assassins? And they don't like competition, is this it? That's low. That's really low. And I thought the legal world had cutthroat competition...

Ugh... Terpeen realized he stopped concentrating on the spell. Its effect will wear off soon.

[[duration: concentration + 2 rounds]]

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-09, 10:50 AM
Close, but still oh so far away

an elf, clad in black leather is standing on the roof across the ally, he has a shortbow in hand.

You don't understand, you couldn't

Vladislav
2011-02-09, 11:12 AM
Watch out! Terpeen points, and starts casting a spell to cover the elf with magical dust.

[[Glitterdust, shiny dust negates invisibility and Hide in 10' radius (no save for this), and also Will 14 or blinded for 3 rounds]]

If applicable, Initiative [roll0]

Krull
2011-02-09, 11:17 AM
if the elf is within 80ft of Orcy he charges. Raaaaarh!
attack:[roll0]
damage:[roll1]

Vladislav
2011-02-09, 11:21 AM
an elf, clad in black leather is standing on the roof across the ally, he has a shortbow in hand.

if the elf is within 80ft of Orcy he charges. Raaaaarh!

I'd like you all to take a moment to consider this image. :smallbiggrin:

Krull
2011-02-09, 11:58 AM
OOOPS! didn't see that! Ignore my previous post.

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-09, 12:01 PM
Kutark make a jump check

the elf moves with blinding speed knocking an arrow and fireing

Rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]

oh and everyone roll initiative

Krull
2011-02-09, 12:27 PM
init: 1s20+1
jump: [roll0]

Krull
2011-02-09, 12:28 PM
init again: [roll0]

AshesOfOld
2011-02-09, 03:13 PM
Lefty draws his longbow and begins a bardic song to inspire courage.

Init [roll0]

Inspire courage: All allies receive +1 morale bonus vs. fear and charm and +1 att. and dmg.

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-10, 12:16 AM
you make it across, just barely. your landing sends clay tiles sliding off the roof to smash into the ground 50 feet bellow.

A man, you reconise him as the one from the market. steps out from behind a chimney.

We tried to warn you, walk away now and we'el let you live. you don't know what your dealing with

OOC: Terpeen; your spell went off as planed, Kutark; does the arrow hit?

Krull
2011-02-10, 10:24 AM
if the arrow was fire at Krutark it hit.

AshesOfOld
2011-02-10, 04:30 PM
Lefty's next turn:
Lefty quickly nocks an arrow on his longbow and draws the string back, muscles quivering at the effort. He aims it at the newly arrived man and lets fly, arrow shooting from the bow with a great snap.

Stopping his bardic song, the effect still lingers on the faces of Lefty and his comrades.
Bardic song lasts for 5 additional rounds.

Longbow: [roll0]
Potential damage: [roll1]

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-10, 05:48 PM
Lefty's arrow penetrates the mans leg in the meaty part of his thigh. his face goes rigid with pain but he still manages to draw and knock and fire another arrow, this time at lefty.

the elf takes the hit with the ax and draws a shortsword and strikes back at Kutark

Toros lashes out at Vardaan with his fists No, Stop!

Elf in black: (if hit make a fort check) Hit [roll0], wound [roll1]
Man: [roll2] [roll3]

Krull
2011-02-11, 10:32 AM
Fort save [roll0]
If possible, Orcy's next action will be to attack again (same person)
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Also, i am going away for the weekend and might not be able to post until Monday.

Vladislav
2011-02-11, 08:49 PM
Terpeen casts Grease, affecting both the elf and the human that are engaged in battle with Krutark (10'x10' area of effect, if impossible to affect both then just the human)

REF 13 or fall prone.

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-12, 12:32 AM
they are more than ten feet apart, closer to 30

the elf howls with pain as the axe sinks into his side then he deftly slides back 35 feet till he his right beside the man.

Ref save

[roll0]

the man calls out to you do you really want to know why we are chasing these assassins?

the elf looks at him and hisses Eregar, what are you doing?

the man looks over at him Methil, trust me

AshesOfOld
2011-02-12, 12:57 PM
Lefty draws another arrow and pauses, shouting to the man
Alright, explain yourselves!

Vladislav
2011-02-12, 01:22 PM
the elf howls with pain as the axe sinks into his side then he deftly slides back 35 feet till he his right beside the man.

Terpeen will give the enemies a chance to explain themselves, but for now he's approaching the roof's edge and gets ready with a Color Spray spell, just in case.

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-16, 01:25 PM
It started close to 50 years ago, down south in the great forest Corlire. There was an elf maid, she had left the forest almost 20 years ago with a group of adventurers to join in their quest to destroy a vampire lord that was building an army far to the east. she returned alone with a young human, a man, of extraordinary beauty. she said she had met him on the trip home and we believed her, for a year the couple lived happily and the elf bore the man two sons.

Then children started to disappear.

AshesOfOld
2011-02-16, 05:57 PM
Not really feeling attentive to a good story, while pointing a bow at the orator, Lefty lowers it and says:
Children? Did you find out what caused it?

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-26, 01:33 AM
((rumors of my demise are greatly exagerated:smallsmile:))

He was a Vampire, the Vampire, the one they had tried to stop. he had destroyed the group and returned in order to destroy the elves, im not sure what he was planning to do at the time, some form of necromantic ritual he needed the blood of children for.

I and my friend Terial Songweaver were passing through the village and just managed to stop the ritual. even then the waves of negative energy released by the ritual killed almost half of the elves and vampirised nearly a third of the dead. we spent the last 50 years tracking down the vampires and killing them one by one. you see the ritual had some sort of effect on us as well, I and Terial have ceased to age as normal humans do, we have dedicated our now lengthened lives to the destruction of the vampire known as Lord Kamchatka and his bastard offspring!

That is why we are here today, Kamchatka has disappeared for more than 30 years but his two sons have been active in this area, we believe that they are the cause of the current sate of strife.

the elf now takes over from the man

We apologize for trying to kill you. but we were uncertain of your motives and we could not take the chance that you would interfere or give our hunt away and send these twin scum back into hiding for another decade.

Vladislav
2011-02-26, 01:46 AM
Interfere? Us? Never. We may meddle a bit, but never interfere, right, Leftie? Feeling a bit better about these people, Terpeen lets go of the colored dust. So how do we go about finding these two sons?

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-26, 02:35 AM
well they are in the city, but we dont know were, and its a big place.

Vladislav
2011-02-26, 09:39 PM
Well, does the word "Irontusk" ring a bell?

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-26, 09:42 PM
the elf chuckles

its the biggest inn in the city, were staying there. but why do you ask?

Vladislav
2011-02-26, 10:11 PM
No reason. Except that, you know, the killer went ... THAT WAY! Terpeen makes a sweeping dramatic gesture with his hand, perhaps a bit too dramatic.

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-26, 10:30 PM
right, and there is a good quarter of the city in that general direction. the elf crosses his arms over his chest believe us, we've spent the last few days searching it. even if we split up its going to take us another week to finish.

at this point the man interrupts

Speaking of splitting up, where is Terial anyway?

AshesOfOld
2011-02-27, 02:33 PM
Right, Terpeen. Though, like says it could take a good long while.

Lefty looks around, confused.

Terial? Who is Terial anyway, I don't think we've been properly introduced?

Hawkfrost000
2011-02-27, 08:44 PM
the man who was with me when we bunped inot each other in the marketplace explains the man as he sheaths his longbow We should look for him, the twins may have gotten board with sending us on wild goose chases and are looking for something more visceral