PDA

View Full Version : Tips for custom necromancy spells?

RiskyJubles
2010-11-12, 02:13 PM
So I've been playing a Wiz/Clr necromancer in a gestalt game and feeling a bit underpowered. I got my DMs permission to edit/home-brew some necromancy spells to beef up my deadies. These are pretty powerful, but that's the kind of game this is. let me know what you think and if you have any other ideas to try.

Summoning Skull (LOL necro pokemon)
School: Necromancy (summoning) [see text];
Level: Clr 1, Sor/Wiz1
Casting Time: 1 round
Components: V, S, F/DF (Skull bound to desired creature)
Range: close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: one summoned creature
Duration: Permanent (D)
Saving Throw: none; Spell Resistance no

When preparing this spell, the caster chooses one undead creature that is under his control.

When cast, This spell summons the undead creature. It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions.

Special: This spell can be used in conjunction with command undead, or similar effects, to bind new undead to summoning skulls.

Awaken Undead
(normal but the spell level is knocked down a lot)
Level: Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 4

Awaken Undead, Greater
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 6, Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, M,
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 ft. plus 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: All mindless undead within a circle 25 ft. in radius plus 5 ft./ 2 levels
Saving Throw: None (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spells grants the target intelligent undead the ability to use the gestalt variant rule. They essentially take two classes at every level, choosing the best aspects of each. The process is similar to multiclassing, except the undead gains the full benefits of each class at each level. if the two classes you choose have aspects that overlap (such as Hit Dice, attack progression, saves, and class features common to more than one class), you choose the better aspect. The gestalt undead retains all aspects that don’t overlap. The undead gains a gestalt progression equal to its current class level when this spell is cast.
Material Component: A humanoid Skull.

Necromantic Infusion
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M,
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. plus 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: 1 undead/ level within a circle 25 ft. in radius plus 5 ft./ 2 levels
Saving Throw: None (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The caster drains the necrotic energy within undead creatures under his control, destroying them, and bestowing it on an intelligent undead also under his control. The undead that is infused gains class levels equal to half the total HD of those destroyed (rounded down, minimum one). The class levels of the newly infused undead can not exceed those of the caster.
Material Component: 2 or more undead

Gamer Girl
2010-11-12, 06:56 PM
Summoning Skull--looks a bit odd. You can summon a undead minion from 50 feet away? I can scream that far... And grabbing a skeleton that is a big 50 feet away is not much help. Maybe just use summon undead?

Awaken Undead, Greater
Maybe more 'enhance or gesault undead? And, um, mindless undead with class levels are a bit useless. Sure they will get hp and bab and saves, but they can't use any abilities...they are mindless.

Necromantic Infusion
Ok, but where is the balance? You can just 'drain' 100 weak undead to make one 100th level undead under your control?

DracoDei
2010-11-15, 10:15 AM
Gamer Girl: I think he is trying to re-create Summon Undead where the undead was before this is "who cares?", the range is where you can put it, just like with other summoning spells.

As for help... well, this thread is kinda dead, so I don't feel guilty for pointing you to the special block of undead at the top of my "Full List of Homebrew" IE Homebrewer's extended signature.