PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Source Spell question..

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-12, 03:15 PM
A long while back I had made a character who was a Cloistered Cleric 1/Wizard 3/Mystic Theurge 10/Arcanist 6(The Arcanist being a 3rd party PrC thats basicly 10 more levels of Mystic Theurge.) The character in question had used the acdemic priest feat to make his cloistered cleric side have int as it's casting stat for everything but his spell DCs. Obviously, from the class split I had used alternate source spell as an entry method, but beyond being the early entry method it was actually a major centerpice to the build due to a DM rueling.

The rueling was since alternet spell source allows you to prepare arcane spells as divine and divine spells as arcane if a usually divine spell was prepared as arcane it was treated as a wizard spell and thus used int for it's DC instead of wisdom. Likewise, if an arcane spell was prepared as divine, it's DC would be wisdom based as appose to using int. The rueling more or less allowed me to actually use some offensive cleric spells via preparing them as arcane instead of divine and thus the character used all of his cleric/divine slots for spells that did not care about DC(defensive spells, buffs, undead animation, certain utility spells ect...) while he used his wizard/arcane slots for offensive spells/spells that want a high DC. This more or less allowed for a SAD theurge character. He was more or less the ultimate suport caster who had enough spell slots to be both the battlefield controler AND team buffer while having some slots devoted to necromancy since he was meant to be the typical black cloak wardrobe, armor-free necromancer who is actually good at having an undead army.(strait Necromancy wizards don't to the undead army thing all that. They are more based on debuffs and soul manipulation are are closer to a WoW warlock then a necromancer with all their soul related powers, debuffs, fear based effects and reliance on planar binding/demons, devils ect...So I felt a theurge character who got the key clerc necromancy spells(Desecrate, Inflict spells ect..) and all the good wizard spells(Magic jar, enervation ect..) best moddeled what a REAL Necromancer should do. The ironic part was he was not a necromancy specalist wizard but rather a universalist.

My question is whether or not this is actually posible by RAW. Alternet source spell, as far as I remember, dose not specificly say if the slot a spell is being prepared in also changes it's casting stat so my DM thus ruled yes. However, by RAW I would like to know if such a thing mentioned above is posible?

(Igonre all spelling/gramer mkistakes in this post as I am not on my own computer as of now and the computer I am on has no Words firefox or any way to spellcheck....so yeah.)

Also, I know that changing cloistered cleric to archivest can do what I want without alternet spell source tricks but I prefer using a cloistered cleric for a theurge due to them not having to be dependend on scrolls/DM generosity.

Stegyre
2010-11-12, 03:41 PM
[T]he character used all of his cleric/divine slots for spells that did not care about DC(defensive spells, buffs, undead animation, certain utility spells ect...) while he used his wizard/arcane slots for offensive spells/spells that want a high DC. . . .

My question is whether or not this is actually posible by RAW. Alternet source spell, as far as I remember, dose not specificly say if the slot a spell is being prepared in also changes it's casting stat so my DM thus ruled yes. However, by RAW I would like to know if such a thing mentioned above is posible?
Just reading the web description for AS* (Oh, the acronym! For shame!), I don't see how that works. To quote (and bold):

You can choose to prepare any of your divine spells as arcane spells or any of your arcane spells as divine spells. An alternative-sourced spell uses up a spell slot from the class that normally grants the spell. Such a spell is prepared normally. An alternative-sourced spell is cast as if your caster level were 1 level lower. For example, a 1st-level cleric/6th-level wizard casts a divine fireball as a 5th-level wizard.

In other words, your Cause Light Wounds (or whatever) may now be "arcane," but it still uses your cleric spell slots.

Tyndmyr
2010-11-12, 03:43 PM
The easiest solution to this is to pick two casting classes that use the same bonus stat.

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-12, 03:48 PM
I see. I never payed for dragon and either did my DM, and to make matters worse we where just learning the game. We relied more or less on internet sources, so yeah, we never actually had the full text of the feat. As for that, well, if I where to actually use this character now I suppose I would use archivest in place of cleric which is technically BETTER(Potentinally a wizard/archivest theruge can learn EVERY spell in the game) and I could take that feat that allows wizards to 4 spells each level up instead of two meaning I could really focus the archivest side on necromancy and then just pray my DM gives out the scrolls I want. Losing rebuke and domains is not that big a downside since I can just use control undead on the wizard side to replicate rebuke and the domains even in the cleric based build did not to much spell-wise due to DCs. Archivests get a lore-type ablilit too so the loss of the cloistered cleric's lore power means nothing either.

Again the only downside is that the DM can more or less shatter any hopes I have as far as getting spells gose but if I have another caster who can scribe scrolls in the party I can just ask them to make me a scroll of a spell I want.