PDA

View Full Version : [D&D3.5] Recommend me some wizard items!

Warlawk
2010-11-12, 04:20 PM
So a new game has started and I'm playing a wizard for the first time in something like a decade. I've kept up on basic wizard mechanics obviously since other players usually run them, and I am our backup DM. When our core DM needs a break I'll run something for a while till he gets the creative juices recharged. I have not however, paid much attention to the items released in various books that are caster oriented since I tend to mostly play martial characters.

The setting is Forgotten Realms and I have access to many books, and others in the group have most of the books I do not, so for all intents and purposes I have access to almost any book and our DM is open to things from other settings etc as long as it isn't inherently broken (candle of invocation anyone?).

Thus far we've played our intro and hit level 2. I am looking to build toward a heavy control oriented wizard, with party buffing as my backup, blast spells will be almost nonexistent in my choices. Build will advance toward Wizard (Conjuration domain wizard with elven wizard substitution at level 1 and likely 3) moving into encantrix and eventually archmage.

We don't count on any sort of giant magic item emporium, but we do oftentimes end up with a small shop somewhere having limited selection, or a magical organization/church for whom we have done favors who will do some custom enchanting for us at a favorable price. I want a good selection of items to be on the watch for in those situations to really round out my options. Primary on my list will probably be metamagic rods, to the point where I may even take the creation feat for them.

Any suggestions for good things to look at would be most appreciated.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-12, 04:24 PM
At level 2? Wand of expeditious retreat and knock. Also a pearl of power 1 is cheap and useful.

Warlawk
2010-11-12, 04:27 PM
At level 2? Wand of expeditious retreat and knock. Also a pearl of power 1 is cheap and useful.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm looking more to the future and mid levels. Figure anywhere in the 5-15 level range. Lowbie items may be neat, but tend to be replaced quickly once you have a few levels under your belt.

calar
2010-11-12, 04:55 PM
Most obvious choices I can think of off the top of my head would be mid level pearls of power, headband of intellect, metamagic rods, and any AC boosting item. Ill post again if I think of more.

Eldariel
2010-11-12, 05:16 PM
Scrolls of stuff with no relevant CL/save components, like Enlarge Person, Ray of Enfeeblement, Knock, Web (it has save but it's quite efficient even if they make it), See Invisibility, etc. are all good. A backup Wand of something spammable; even just a damage spell or so; can be fine for when you want to do more than Crossbow but less than a spell slot.

Beads of Karma (Use Magic Device allows activating them) from Strand of Prayer Beads is gold. Orange Prism Ioun Stone (Caster Level Buff one) is also awesome. Ring of Arcane Power and such from other sources are likewise amazing. Pearls of Power are a nice way to expand your daily options, and (Lesser) Rod of Extend Spell is very, very useful. Later on, Rods of Quicken Spell are great too (Circlet of Rapid Casting [Magic Item Compendium] is also amazing). Spell Foci and new scrolls to put into your spellbook are obvious.

Basically, your goals should be:
- Ensuring your stamina in situations where rest just isn't an option for a reason or another. You don't even need to contribute at your best; just ensure you have some tricks up your sleeve.
- Increasing the potency of your spell slots and spells (Caster Level Increases are particularly nice against other casters, making your Dispels more efficient and theirs less, and making your spells last longer and do more); Metamagic makes your lower level slots better and CL just improves everything you do.
- Other misc stuff. Obvious stat buffs (Int, Dex, Con) are obvious. AC should mostly come from spells; wasting money on AC buffing items is money thrown down the well.
- Tons of mundane gear. Alchemist's Fires are personal favorite; effectively 2d6 damage with a touch attack (or 1d6+wasted action which is way, way stronger), much better than most weapons you'll ever use. Other alchemical items are useful especially early on too. Stuff like rope and Haversacks for all that and such are obvious.

Runestar
2010-11-13, 12:42 AM
Heward's fortifying bedroll (complete mage?) - lets you gain the benefits of 8 hours of sleep in just 1 hour or something.

Escheton
2010-11-13, 07:41 AM
Eternal wands naturally.
Lotsa back-up scrolls.
Artificer's monocle (no more casting identify)
Rod of (insert metamagicfeat here), lots of them
Runestaffs

Havent really played any mid-high lvl wizards in a bit, so not much use besides the obvious

Darrin
2010-11-13, 09:50 AM
Good low-cost magic items:

Arcanist's Gloves (500 GP, MIC p. 72). "Why yes, I would like another magic missle!"

Talisman of the Disk (500 GP, MIC p. 188). Carry loot, or use it as a "meat shield sidecar".

Amber Amulet of Vermin (800 GP, MIC p. 68). Climb aboard for 10 rounds of flying.

Hand of the Mage (900 GP, DMG). Wizards are fragile. Best not to directly touch anything that can hurt you.

Pearl of Power, 1st (1000 GP, DMG). Don't leave home without it.

Cloak of Elemental Protection (1000 GP, MIC p. 87). Reduce energy damage by 10 as a immediate action.

Glyph Seal (1000 GP, MIC p. 161). Store spells, lay traps, activate self-buffs as a free action.

Gloves of the Starry Sky (1100 GP, MIC p. 204). Light source and spontaneously cast magic missle 3/day.

Travel Cloak (1200 GP, Magic of Faerun p. 166). Food, water, shelter, all in one convenient package.

Anklet of Translocation (1400 GP, MIC p. 71). Get out of grapple free card, or a variety other bad situations.

Hammersphere (1500 GP, MIC p. 161). Fire-and-forget 3d6 force damage that bypasses DR.

Enduring Amulet (1500 GP, MIC p. 97). Continuous endure elements and negate up to 20 cold or fire damage as an immediate action.

Collar of Perpetual Attendance (2000 GP, WotC article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c)). A multitude of interesting uses (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8235936&postcount=8).

Ring of Four Winds (2000 GP, MIC p. 124). 4/day feather fall or +2 deflection bonus.

Spellsink Scarab (2000 GP, MIC p. 138). Get you back on the other side of Death's Door when that blown save or massive critical finally comes up.

Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (2500 GP, MIC p. 144). Not just for spellcasting, +5 competence bonus on all Concentration checks.

Stormfire Ring (4000 GP, MIC p. 206). My favorite item in the MIC. Negates invisiblity/concealment, and does 5d6 electricity damage without a save.

Optimator
2010-11-13, 04:58 PM
Lots of good ones have been mentioned already, but I'm gonna list my favorites. Hopefully I don't repeat too many that have been listed before.

Ring of Arcane Might (CA), Ring of Spell Battle (CA), Boccob's Blessed Book, Orange Prism Ioun Stone, Anklet of Translocation

Warlawk
2010-11-13, 06:58 PM
Very much appreciated, lots of great ideas here.

Also one I had found was the ring of thuergy from CA. Lets you store 3 spells in it. You then leave a spell preparation blank and you can use one of the three spells in that spot as if you had prepared that spell. Really opens up a nice bit of versatility there.

gbprime
2010-11-13, 07:13 PM
Also one I had found was the ring of thuergy from CA. Lets you store 3 spells in it. You then leave a spell preparation blank and you can use one of the three spells in that spot as if you had prepared that spell. Really opens up a nice bit of versatility there.

Runestaffs are more powerful at this. You get more uses per day and don't have to leave any slots open. Combined with a few Pearls of Power, you start to enjoy some of what the sorcerer has going for him.

Also... Thought Bottle. if you plan on making magic items or using lines of Wishes or Dark Chaos, thought bottle reduces all costs to a flat 500xp.

Warlawk
2010-11-13, 09:53 PM
Runestaffs are more powerful at this. You get more uses per day and don't have to leave any slots open. Combined with a few Pearls of Power, you start to enjoy some of what the sorcerer has going for him.

Also... Thought Bottle. if you plan on making magic items or using lines of Wishes or Dark Chaos, thought bottle reduces all costs to a flat 500xp.

Good to keep in mind for the thought bottle, though we tend to steer clear of XP loss situations/abilities in our group.

Runestaffs are more powerful than the ring. There's no reason you can't use both. A runestaff also tends to be limited to one theme while the ring allows you choices for any spells you know of the appropriate level, which is considerably more flexible. Not saying a runestaff is a bad choice, just that they have different uses and strengths. No reason not to have both.