PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Swiftblade archer

herrhauptmann
2010-11-12, 08:01 PM
A little while ago I was trying to decide which of two character ideas to use in a gestalt game. Both used the mancer homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5970319#post5970319) I keep asking about. The one I chose in the game was a halfminotaur Terramancer//warblade.

However, I'm now working on the other character, as a backup. A lesser Air Genasi Aeromancer7//Wiz/swiftblade.
I had to stop work on the aeromancer because I noticed a tendency to let myself get pulled in more than one direction with the build.
Genasi grants a boost to dex and int. Mancer is a divine casting melee class with 6 levels of casting (at the wizard progression), and for the aeromancer, his key ability is based off of dex.

But I now think I have a semi-usable build and would like some input on the swiftblade side. One side of progression is only mancer, that's not changing anytime soon. It grants a number of spells, and several other features. The primary one for this is extra castings of haste.
So for my nonmancer progression: Martial wizard for feats, and immediate metamagic.

Wiz 1) Collegiate wizard, Point blank shot (Flaws: Dodge, mobility)
2) Precise shot (gained from mancer bonus feat)
3) Elemental bloodline (25% fortification)
Wiz 5) Rapid shot
6) Flyby attack (gain flight at mancer 6)

I've been checking the archers handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0) as well

herrhauptmann
2010-11-13, 08:06 PM
Another bump from page 2

herrhauptmann
2010-11-15, 05:29 PM
Is everybody allergic to swiftblade archers?

fil kearney
2010-11-15, 05:55 PM
Is everybody allergic to swiftblade archers?

With all respect, there's not much to say. You've made up a full BAB casting class that grants flight, immunities, and air-based spells to go along with your otherwise invalid Swift-archer build.
It's more an advertisement for your 'mancer homebrew than anything else.

herrhauptmann
2010-11-15, 05:58 PM
No, it's more me asking about the swiftblade side. But I'll rephrase the above post.
I really don't care if someone besides me ever tries the half finished mancer class. I mention it, and link it, because if I don't, people whine about not being given all the details.
Like they did when I tried asking for advice on spells for the mancer.

Now, how is my swiftblade build invalid? THIS is what I was asking advice for. Not a critique on the mancer

edit: stupid typos

fil kearney
2010-11-15, 06:42 PM
How is my swiftblade build invalid?

to reach swiftblade by level 6, you need to gestalt with a 3/4 or full BAB class. Otherwise the BAB +3 prereq limits wizard to level 7 with some terrible to hit mods.
the class is just too easy with gestalt. Which is why I was chiding that it's an ad for your mancer... because that 's the class allowing you to access early, and the source of your 2nd and 6th level feats.

Everything your doing is fine for an archer build. .. delaying manyshot til level 9 or 10 is fine since you wont have "perpetual options" until level 14... but you'll want to up your skirmish damage later on any way you can.

There's just not much to say for the swift-archer. it's cool and works as soon as you qualify for it.

herrhauptmann
2010-11-15, 10:13 PM
Um, mancer is a full BAB, that's why I had only wizard 5 (unless I'm misreading you somehow).

But yeah, if I didn't have a gestalt with mancer, fighter, or something similar, I'd either have an extra level of wizard before swift, or I'd have dipped fighter for an extra feat. Which I might do anyway, just so I can drop a flaw. I've never actually had a character with a 'flaw' before october, now I've made several.

Thanks for critique on the archer feats. Was sure I was missing something there.

And yeah, mancer is awesome. I figure the air and fire ones are tier 2. While earth and water are tier 3, but when in their roles, they have almost a tier 1 effectiveness. I'll know more if I can ever actually get to play one of these guys (last 4 games have all died stillborn).