PDA

View Full Version : Undead Template for Halfling Rogue

DragonOfUndeath
2010-11-12, 09:33 PM
Exactly what it says on the tin. i'm starting an Undead campaign on this forum soon and i need a Template (doesn't matter about LA) that turns be into some form of Undead. i'm gonna be a sneaking rogue so bonuses to Move Silently and Dex will be great

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-11-12, 09:39 PM
Exactly what it says on the tin. i'm starting an Undead campaign on this forum soon and i need a Template (doesn't matter about LA) that turns be into some form of Undead. i'm gonna be a sneaking rogue so bonuses to Move Silently and Dex will be great

If you don't care about LA, then Ghost is awesome. You never make a noise, ever, so Move Silently just became a dump skill. Ghost Touch weapons allow your weapons to be normally effective. Draining Touch is crack. So is Horrific Face. TK at will. And nearly impossible to truly destroy.

Shadow is also insanely sick. Make minions for free and take over the world after passing through a village. Minomancy at it's unlimited potential.

Wight, for the same reason.

In fact, almost any Incorporeal undead makes for an insanely awesome rogue.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-11-12, 09:43 PM
can you post the stats for Shadow and Wight or page numbers on the books they are in. i don't know where they are. i don't think I'll play a Ghost I don't think it quite fits my backstory and the campaign

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-11-12, 10:10 PM
Wight as a template isn't great, but Wraith as a template is pretty good. Both of those are in Savage Species in the templates chapter. Keep in mind that Wraiths are powerless in daylight.

Shadow as a template is the Umbral Creature, in Savage Species and updated in Libris Mortis. It can't be applied to Humanoids though, since they would just become regular Monster Manual Shadows. It gives a huge Int penalty, and is mostly just there for monster versions of shadows rather than intelligent opponents.

Vampires are extremely sneaky, but their weaknesses may be a bit cumbersome.

Playable undead templates/races are fairly limited, and for a sneaky character you're pretty much stuck with an incorporeal creature. You would have to get Ghost Touch weapons and armor unless you stick to natural attacks, and most magic items can't be worn. Maybe just stick with the good ol' Necropolitan in Libris Mortis, at least then you wouldn't be stuck with a level adjustment. If you want to go with a powerful undead race, Death Knight in MM2 page 207 is probably among the top choices.

Be sure to add Spellstitched from Complete Arcane if possible. If you can use Forgotten Realms regional feats, go with a Gnome or Whisper Gnome (RoS) as the base race and take Magic in the Blood, which makes all of your 1/day racial spell-like abilities usable 3/day. Spellstitched is a template, which adds racial abilities, including spell-like abilities. When assigning daily uses to your abilites, you can go 3/1 for each level which would then become 3/3. You don't have to provide costly material components or XP costs for spell-like abilities, so pick Animate Dead or even Animate Dread Warrior (UE) and you can get a bunch of free minions.

Urpriest
2010-11-12, 10:16 PM
Gravetouched Ghoul from Libris Mortis is also not bad, though I generally favor it for its low LA rather than for any other reason.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-11-12, 10:21 PM
can you post the stats for Shadow and Wight or page numbers on the books they are in. i don't know where they are. i don't think I'll play a Ghost I don't think it quite fits my backstory and the campaign

Ghost is really the most horridly broken one for this build. You want stealth? Permanent invis and makes no noise so no need for move silently at all. Dealing stat damage every round. Battlefield Control. It just doesn't get any better than this.

Allip is also a good one, if your GM lets you get away with it, but nowhere near as broken.

Runestar
2010-11-12, 10:27 PM
I would recommend gravetouched ghoul as well. Reasonable LA of +2, and you get 3 natural attacks (letting you SA thrice at lower lvs). If you can paralyze them, all the better. :smallbiggrin:

DragonOfUndeath
2010-11-12, 10:39 PM
i don't care about LA because the DM has given us a ton of it for free.

i think i'll use the wight from Libris Mortis. thank you for your help. asking for Thread Lock now

um how do you do Thread Lock exactly?

The Glyphstone
2010-11-12, 11:17 PM
Great Modthulhu: Usually, you PM a mod to ask them. Luckily, I happened to wander by. :smallcool:

Question answered, thread locked by request of OP.