PDA

View Full Version : The Strong Arm Alchemist: Building Alex Louis Armstrong

Rasman
2010-11-12, 09:58 PM
MAJOR * ALEX LOUIS * ARMSTRONG *
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/19815/691150-9gj255_large.jpg

Yes...what better person to pay tribute to in making a character?

With such high charisma and a body that a young Arnold would envy, how can you even possibly BUILD him?

The way I see him so far, his 3 main stats would have to be Cha, Str, Dex, with Con, Int and Wis in tow. I don't really like point buys, so I always roll character stats and our group has a house rule of always giving an 18 in one stat.

So either, as a human, a 20 Cha or 20 Str starting out. With my rolls that gives us a 20, 18, 16, 15, 14, 13. The dice gods love him already.

So...
Str 24
Dex 20
Con 19
Int 18
Wis 17
Cha 22
..are his base stats after applying the Advanced Template.

:::THE LEVELS:::

1 - Advanced (Human)and Celestial Template (Feats will Come Later)
2 - Pugilist Fighter 1
3 - Pugilist Fighter 2
4 - Pugilist Fighter 3
5 - Pugilist Fighter 4
6 - Monk of the Four Winds 1
7 - Monk of the Four Winds 2
8 - Monk of the Four Winds 3
9 - Fist of the Forest 1
10 - Fist of the Forest 2
11 - Fist of the Forest 3
12 -
13 -
14 -
15 -
16 -
17 -
18 -
19 -
20 -

Armstrong's abilities/strengths are.

Excellent at Hand to Hand Combat.
Ability to create spikes (or BEAUTIFUL ALCHEMY STATUES OF HIMSELF, I guess they'd deal Bludgeoning damage instead) from the ground by energizing the molecules with electricity.
Able to add electric shocks to his punch.
Able to strike a projectile and turn it into a flying spike.
Excellent Grappler.
Is, arguably, wonderful at Intimidate and Diplomacy checks by solely using his muscles.
Is a "Beautiful Artist."

The Current Build (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=9982)

I haven't gotten far into the Character Sheet since I've been so focused on him here.

Fists of Beautiful Alchemy
These +1 Cestus allow the use of Spike Stones 3/day and Earthreaver 3/day. Earthreaver substitutes Electricity Damage in place of the Fire Damage normally dealt by the spell. Cost to Make:104,700gp.

Making them Keen would increase the price to 106,700gp.

So assuming Pathfinder rules with access to all 3.5 material and these physical stats, based on the concept, HOW would you build him?

I mostly need a step in the right direction, I have the concept, just not the knowledge base to put it on paper.

ryzouken
2010-11-12, 10:03 PM
unarmed strike feats... cestus or brass knuckles. (assuming you actually take levels in Alchemist) Focus in Mutagens for your discoveries, multiclass out to the Master Chymist PrC, grabbing some levels of fighter for BAB.

Would be my guess, but I only have faint, limited knowledge of the character as I lost interest in the series after ep 24 or so. *shrug*

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-11-12, 10:05 PM
Stone Dragon-based Warblade. Bloodstorm Blade for the launching of projectiles and applying of maneuvers with said launched (thrown) projectiles.

Superior Unarmed Strike + Monk's Belt + Improved Natural Attacks is a good start for the unarmed side.

Shards of Granite to bypass DR and Hardness to simulate shattering stone walls with a single attack, and Stone Power to simulate how he seems to shrug off quite a bit. Other DR-enhancing maneuvers to further this.

Force of Personality to use Cha mod for Will save.

Hulking Hurler + Bloodstorm Blade to get some good damage output from thrown attacks.

Rasman
2010-11-12, 10:31 PM
unarmed strike feats... cestus or brass knuckles. (assuming you actually take levels in Alchemist) Focus in Mutagens for your discoveries, multiclass out to the Master Chymist PrC, grabbing some levels of fighter for BAB.

Would be my guess, but I only have faint, limited knowledge of the character as I lost interest in the series after ep 24 or so. *shrug*

I considered Cestus, but Brass Knuckles or even Spiked Gauntlet work just as well...I don't know that he ACTUALLY has to be an Alchemist though

Stone Dragon-based Warblade. Bloodstorm Blade for the launching of projectiles and applying of maneuvers with said launched (thrown) projectiles.

Superior Unarmed Strike + Monk's Belt + Improved Natural Attacks is a good start for the unarmed side.

Shards of Granite to bypass DR and Hardness to simulate shattering stone walls with a single attack, and Stone Power to simulate how he seems to shrug off quite a bit. Other DR-enhancing maneuvers to further this.

Force of Personality to use Cha mod for Will save.

Hulking Hurler + Bloodstorm Blade to get some good damage output from thrown attacks.

I'm hesitant to take that path for the simple fact that I one had a Goliath that was a HH/BB/Master Thrower that chucked Huge sized Javelins and it would feel too similar. Not saying it's a bad idea, but I don't want to build the same character again.

I would contemplate an "unarmed" paladin of sorts, but...it doesn't really fit the flavor...

Crafty Cultist
2010-11-12, 10:33 PM
Fabricate could duplicate his alchemy pretty well if he has ranks in craft(Stonecarving). Maybe make his gauntlet thingies able to duplicate the effect. A glitterdust magic item might suit him as well(for the sparkles:smallwink:)

littlebottom
2010-11-12, 10:38 PM
i cant really help since my knowledge of 3.5 is so limited, but i wholeheartedly approve of this thread:smallbiggrin:

seriously though, i think a starting level character cannot replicate the results of any alchemist on FMA they are the military elite after all.

i think if you were to make him as a character, then I BEG OF YOU! ROLEPLAY HIM RIGHT!:smallamused:

i can see the situations in game now...ahhhhhh *goes off into own world of imagineation*

jguy
2010-11-12, 10:49 PM
Prestidigitation would easily conjure up all his sparkles and backgrounds and illusionary hearts that he conjures.

Fishy
2010-11-12, 10:52 PM
Bard, maximum Charisma, and Skill Focus: Perform (Trumpet).

... Wait, nevermind.

Cerlis
2010-11-12, 10:54 PM
well i saw an Alchemist class on DnD wiki or something but to get the flavor of the character you dont need anything like. The stonedragon/ToB idea is a good one i think. Wonder how much a Wand of Stone shape or wand of...well I seem to remember one or two good Earth spells in the complete arcane that might mimick some of his moves.

Rasman
2010-11-12, 11:01 PM
Fabricate could duplicate his alchemy pretty well if he has ranks in craft(Stonecarving). Maybe make his gauntlet thingies able to duplicate the effect. A glitterdust magic item might suit him as well(for the sparkles:smallwink:)

...you...are...a genius...

Prestidigitation would easily conjure up all his sparkles and backgrounds and illusionary hearts that he conjures.

GAH...that too...plus I don't take the negative effects of Glitterdust

i think if you were to make him as a character, then I BEG OF YOU! ROLEPLAY HIM RIGHT!:smallamused:

i can see the situations in game now...ahhhhhh *goes off into own world of imagineation*

how could I not?! ...he's going to have to carry around a LOT of spare outfits though...

... Wait, nevermind.

why...Trumpet? Wouldn't it be Skill Focus: Perform (Flex)?

I'm actually not totally opposed to this since he'd get the simple spells that cause that sort of thing, at the VERY least he'd get a one level dip

well i saw an Alchemist class on DnD wiki or something but to get the flavor of the character you dont need anything like. The stonedragon/ToB idea is a good one i think. Wonder how much a Wand of Stone shape or wand of...well I seem to remember one or two good Earth spells in the complete arcane that might mimick some of his moves.

OH DUH!!! I could TECHNICALLY/PROBABLY get Spiked Gauntlets with WAND CHAMBERS that would hold wands of stone shape...

Psyren
2010-11-12, 11:49 PM
I would contemplate an "unarmed" paladin of sorts, but...it doesn't really fit the flavor...

Why not?

Paladin/Battle Dancer/Argent Fist, now you don't need Wis at all, just Str and Cha like you wanted. Refluff Ring the Golden Bell to be chunks of rock and call it a day.

zyborg
2010-11-12, 11:53 PM

... Wait, nevermind.

Wrong Louis Armstrong.

Anyways, I am definitely going to watch this. Sorry I don't have anything to contribute. FMA is one of my favorite mangas, though, so...

Rasman
2010-11-13, 12:08 AM
Wrong Louis Armstrong.

Anyways, I am definitely going to watch this. Sorry I don't have anything to contribute. FMA is one of my favorite mangas, though, so...

OH...I'm slow...still funny though...

Pechvarry
2010-11-13, 12:16 AM
Are you against Homebrew? The Man Your Man Could Smell Like (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175468) is a pretty good start.

Minor creation bits for alchemy, massive manliness and beauty. Will want to multiclass to find a way to emulate his schtick if you care about it. If you don't, and just like the character, this is the class.

Rasman
2010-11-13, 12:22 AM
Are you against Homebrew? The Man Your Man Could Smell Like (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175468) is a pretty good start.

Minor creation bits for alchemy, massive manliness and beauty. Will want to multiclass to find a way to emulate his schtick if you care about it. If you don't, and just like the character, this is the class.

as...much as I love the name...I'm totally against it...just can't use it with my group, so it has to be legit

Looking at Alternate Class Features thus far, I'm contemplating a 5 level dip into Dragon Totem Barbarian. although...there are probably better ways to get Frightful Presence...then again...that doesn't really fit either...

Psyren
2010-11-13, 01:29 AM
I still don't see why Paladin is a poor fit for him. He screams Paladin to me - clearly Lawful Good, very charismatic (not just looks), bends over backwards to protect the innocent etc. Pretty much his entire career in the series is atonement for Ishbal anyway.

Maybe Crusader instead, though you'll have to work in his fists somehow.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-13, 01:36 AM
I think he is obviously a cleric with the creation and protection domains. He self buffs, creates throwing hammers and smashes people with them.

FelixG
2010-11-13, 01:42 AM

that...is an epic homebrew

Mando Knight
2010-11-13, 02:46 AM
...You know, you really should pick it up again. If only for MAJOR * ALEX LOUIS * ARMSTRONG * and his magnificent bastard of a commander, Colonel Roy Mustang.

Admiral Squish
2010-11-13, 03:03 AM
I just made a base class that would work here! It was originally intended to be the old spice guy, but with a touch of tweaking it could serve nicely for any awesomely manly man. It's in my Ancient Spice (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175468) thread.

ryzouken
2010-11-13, 04:46 AM
...You know, you really should pick it up again. If only for MAJOR * ALEX LOUIS * ARMSTRONG * and his magnificent bastard of a commander, Colonel Roy Mustang.

It's been some time, but I'll consider it if I can find it available somewhere.
Sadly, I'm pretty much restricted to Hulu and Crunchyroll for my anime, but I remember seeing some FMA stuff on one of those... *is off to observe*

Yeah, Mustang always was my favorite character...

Dr.Epic
2010-11-13, 04:49 AM
I kind of think cleric or battle sorcerer that casts stone shape a lot.

Cerlis
2010-11-13, 05:01 AM
if you want an intimidation factor then there MIGHT be a Monster feat for Frightening precence. and isnt there Kia shout from Complete warrior...might only be a "Buff my Class ability" feat though. Then there is the feat in the PHB2 that allows you to make an intimidate/attack combo as a standard action

Rasman
2010-11-13, 05:47 AM

you made me smile my devil smile with that...so I added it to the top

Sadly, I'm pretty much restricted to Hulu and Crunchyroll for my anime, but I remember seeing some FMA stuff on one of those... *is off to observe*

dude...CR is the ****...I subscribe...you should really pick up Brotherhood though, it basically fixes the weird ending from the first series

I think he is obviously a cleric with the creation and protection domains. He self buffs, creates throwing hammers and smashes people with them.

Cleric you say...hmm...I'll look at it...

Tengu_temp
2010-11-13, 11:48 AM
Favored soul might work better than cleric, due to being charisma-based and less prayer-focused.

Alternate idea: Monk/any spellcaster with Ascetic Mage. Maybe Monk/Paladin with Ascetic Mage and Ascetic Knight, if you manage to make your paladin levels classify as arcane somehow.

Psyren
2010-11-13, 11:50 AM
...if you manage to make your paladin levels classify as arcane somehow.

Sword Fist of the Arcane Order perhaps

true_shinken
2010-11-13, 12:16 PM

You don't want to open that can of worms, son.

Prime32
2010-11-13, 03:00 PM
Needs factotum + Able Learner so that he has the skill points to randomly draw masterpieces, etc.

Mando Knight
2010-11-13, 03:14 PM

Hulu has quite a bit of FMA, including all of Brotherhood (subbed only).

herrhauptmann
2010-11-13, 03:32 PM

... Wait, nevermind.

Cuz he always toots his own horn?

Ed: "Wow Major, you're a pretty good artist."
Major: *sparkle* "This drawing skill has been passed down through the Armstrong Family for generations!" *sparkle*

I'm going to take this moment to plus some homebrew. Earth mancer, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5970319#post5970319) The spell list would need some reworking (and elemental travel), but the fact that the earth mancer casts off of strength is perfect for Armstrong.

EDIT: Thank you for posting to my class, but don't. It's thread necro, and if it gets locked, I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep editing the class

littlebottom
2010-11-13, 11:17 PM
i just hope you dont end up meeting a group of barbarians, since you will have to have a muscle flex contest with each of them to gain their trust!:smallbiggrin:

but, correct me if im wrong, but "earth" doesnt exactly cover it all, im pretty sure he can do it to metal too. the spells might affect metal too though, im not sure, since like i say, little 3.5 experience, and i dont own any 3.5 books either.

and as long as no one tries to make a character based on his sister, you should beat anyone in a straight fight. even with both arms dislocated:smallcool:

Rasman
2010-11-13, 11:41 PM
Favored soul might work better than cleric, due to being charisma-based and less prayer-focused.

Alternate idea: Monk/any spellcaster with Ascetic Mage. Maybe Monk/Paladin with Ascetic Mage and Ascetic Knight, if you manage to make your paladin levels classify as arcane somehow.

I COULD technically do Monk/Paladin because there is a feat for that.

LOL...see

So, I'm not a fan of templates, but level one is going to be Advanced for a +1 LA and if I really wanted to cheese him, give him the Celestial +0 template, which starts as Cold, Acid, Fire resist 5 and builds up to resist 15 with DR 10/evil. The only rationalization for this is it is a MUCH easier way to explain the sparkle, it also gives him an easy way to get Smite Evil without having to be a Paladin, and it's free if he begins as Celestial before level 5.

I think the most important thing that has been brought up is that he's very Earth Based. Access to spells like Earth Reaver (SC) Stone Skin (PHB), Spike Stones (PHB), Stone Shape (PHB) and Stone Call (PHB) seem to be a necessity. Stone Fist would also allow him to bypass anything with a hardness less than 8. Heck, Magic Stone could be worked into it even. The problem is that these are, a majority of, druid spells and Druid just doesn't really fit the theme.

I would also argue that he might HAVE to have Charm Person as well.

edit: Cleric with the Earth and Craft or maybe Charm domains seems pretty much in line with Armstrong

i just hope you dont end up meeting a group of barbarians, since you will have to have a muscle flex contest with each of them to gain their trust!:smallbiggrin:

but, correct me if im wrong, but "earth" doesnt exactly cover it all, im pretty sure he can do it to metal too. the spells might affect metal too though, im not sure, since like i say, little 3.5 experience, and i dont own any 3.5 books either.

and as long as no one tries to make a character based on his sister, you should beat anyone in a straight fight. even with both arms dislocated:smallcool:

Diplomacy first, smash second

I"m looking at ToB right now, I'm thinking Swordsage would be best because I'd get Monk Progression on unarmed damage, which is what he'd be doing...AND access to Stone Dragon maneuvers. It's been so long this might take a while.

herrhauptmann
2010-11-13, 11:45 PM
He does a lot of earth/unworked stone. That human/ox chimera he transmuted the head of his maul (i think it was wooden).

Nah the danger resides in meeting mildmannered butchers. Of course, a friendship based on respecting the other guys muscles isn't too bad.

Which sister are you referring to? The one who will challenge an army with a sword, or the one who can throw a piano? (Shown in the anime when Yoki tried to rob the mansion)

Tengu_temp
2010-11-14, 12:07 AM
Warblade seems to represent Olivia very well. Use a combination of Iron Heart, White Raven and Diamond Mind maneuvers.

Rasman
2010-11-14, 12:47 AM
I am at an impasse. 2 levels of monk for Wis to AC, Unarmed Strike, FoB, Elemental Fist since I'd think he'd use the Monk of the Four Winds from the Advanced Players guide, and two bonus feats which would probably be Improved Grapple and Combat Reflexes or Deflect Arrows

OR

2 levels of Swordsage with the same AC Bonus, 2 Stances, 7 Maneuvers, Weapon Focus and a +1 to Initiative?

My only reasoning behind Monk of Four Winds is if he were to go to Monk 12 and get Slow Time, giving him 3 standard actions for 6 Ki, the only drawback being he can't use them all for a Full Attack Action, but he can still Vital Strike 3 times.

Warblade seems to represent Olivia very well. Use a combination of Iron Heart, White Raven and Diamond Mind maneuvers.

I'm not really concerned with her yet...and don't spoil it for me because I haven't read that part of the manga yet...I just read about it ending and read the final chapter so I could see what I knew all along.

Bad Situation
2010-11-14, 01:57 AM
Excellento and eleganto!: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Protoman/anime/excellentoandoellegento.png

Rasman
2010-11-14, 06:27 AM
Excellento and eleganto!: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Protoman/anime/excellentoandoellegento.png

riiiiiiiiiight....

but srsly people, I need some constructive criticism on this

Tvtyrant
2010-11-14, 10:12 PM
Go with the monk/cleric for the AOO's. They make the game go round.

Rasman
2010-11-15, 05:27 AM
Go with the monk/cleric for the AOO's. They make the game go round.

I may actually have a way around having to take the levels in Cleric, which I'd like to avoid. Considering Armstrong's fist weapons, rather than using "Wand Chambers" the alchemical symbols could be used similarly, thus, so long as he has UMD, he can use the spells.

Opinions on this?

EDIT: Ok, the Wand Chambers Idea will work, as I have discovered from other sources.

This is partly for a way to just read it, but let's break down EXACTLY what Armstrong's abilities/strengths are.

Excellent at Hand to Hand Combat.
Ability to create spikes (or BEAUTIFUL ALCHEMY STATUES OF HIMSELF, I guess they'd deal Bludgeoning damage instead) from the ground by energizing the molecules with electricity.
Able to add electric shocks to his punch.
Able to strike a projectile and turn it into a flying spike.
Excellent Grappler.
Is, arguably, wonderful at Intimidate and Diplomacy checks by solely using his muscles.
Is a "Beautiful Artist."

FelixG
2010-11-15, 05:39 AM
Well, you could just make wondrous items to do the things you want with so many charges per day, perhaps the "weapons" he wears on his fists are just the items?

Smack a slab of stone with your fist to cast stone shape on it for example

Rasman
2010-11-15, 05:54 AM
Well, you could just make wondrous items to do the things you want with so many charges per day, perhaps the "weapons" he wears on his fists are just the items?

Smack a slab of stone with your fist to cast stone shape on it for example

I was actually thinking in the lines of "Eternal Wands" or in this case "Eternal Alchemical Symbols"

What exactly are the rules for creating a Wondrous Magical Item that isn't in the MIC or any other book?

FelixG
2010-11-15, 05:59 AM
I was actually thinking in the lines of "Eternal Wands" or in this case "Eternal Alchemical Symbols"

What exactly are the rules for creating a Wondrous Magical Item that isn't in the MIC or any other book?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/creatingmagicitems.htm

You can price the items here and run them by your GM to see if he approves, make your item with the spells and charges you like

Morph Bark
2010-11-15, 03:34 PM
Needs factotum + Able Learner so that he has the skill points to randomly draw masterpieces, etc.

What skill even covers that? Perform? Craft? Forgery?

Rasman
2010-11-17, 07:26 PM

I just realized the problem with your logic, he's being built with Pathfinder rules, so all Skills already only cost 1 point, the only thing Able Learner would give him is a +3 to skills that he took ranks in

Also, with the help of the wonderful herrhauptmann (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=27270) I've figured out Armstrong's Gauntlets. Sadly they practically mean that he has to start out at 12th level, because that's the only way he has the starting gold to be able to use them.

But they are +1 Cestus that allow you to use Spike Stones 3/day and Earthreaver 3/day. Earthreaver also subs Electricity Damage for the Fire Damage and they come out priced at 104,700gp. Making them Keen would increase them to 106,700gp.

I'm currently considering Reaping Mauler to cover Armstrong's excellent abilities to grapple, this would free a Monk Feat in order to take something else and give an easier path to Greater Grapple, any thoughts on PrCs that would be more fitting?

Grynning
2010-11-17, 09:35 PM
Reaping Mauler is terribad, and requires a bad feat to enter. Just one Enlarge Person spell or Expansion manifestation is basically better than the whole class.

Rasman
2010-11-18, 07:18 PM
Need an opinion on some feat chains.

Lunge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/lunge-combat---final), Monkey Lunge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/monkey-lunge-combat)

Step Up (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/step-up-combat---final), Step Up and Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/step-up-and-strike-combat)

Vital Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/vital-strike-combat---final), Improved Vital Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/improved-vital-strike-combat---final)

Which of these should be sought after FIRST. It would make sense that Armstrong COULD have the reach to take swings at 10 feet, EVEN BETTER if he gets Enlarge Person cast on him and if he's just duking it out with someone, then standing there and not losing that AC bonus can be the difference between life and death.

Step Up and Step Up and Strike feel a lot like his boxing style, someone tries to move away, he moves stays in their face and punishes them for running.

Vital Strike is just one of those feats that's awesome for "I only get one Attack? VITAL STRIKE!" and would probably be something Armstrong would do for one BIG attack anyway.

I'm just not sure WHEN they should be taken or if they're worth taking at all.

Waker
2011-01-19, 01:14 AM
Were you to consider taking Cleric levels I would think Earth and either Strength or Destruction would be the most appropriate for RP purposes. You could also take the Earth Domain feat from CD, which would let you alter the terrain around you to become difficult terrain at the low levels and then cover them in spikes at lvl 10.
I would say avoid Reaping Mauler, since Armstrong always struck me as more of a striker rather than a grappler.

Rasman
2011-01-19, 06:25 AM
Were you to consider taking Cleric levels I would think Earth and either Strength or Destruction would be the most appropriate for RP purposes. You could also take the Earth Domain feat from CD, which would let you alter the terrain around you to become difficult terrain at the low levels and then cover them in spikes at lvl 10.
I would say avoid Reaping Mauler, since Armstrong always struck me as more of a striker rather than a grappler.

This is probably my most rebuilt character, tbh. At the moment, he's Advanced Pugilist Fighter 10/Chevalier3 as a 14th level character.

Feats are : Improved Unarmed Strike, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Power Attack, Superior Unarmed Strike, Resounding Blow, Enforcer, Heavy Hitting, Improved Grapple, Elemental Fist, Combat Reflexes, Greater Grapple.

I'm not sure where I'd sneak in a level of Cleric, even if I wanted to, since I don't want to hurt his BAB. But if I WERE to take a dip into Cleric, it'd probably be Destruction and Creation Domains, for laughs.

Rejakor
2011-02-08, 09:30 AM
1. If I was you i'd probably take this to a CO forum (either 339 or brilliantgameologist's min/max it subforum) cause CO people tend to be good at building concepts without making them a) not do what you want them to do or b) be too weak to play in a group.

2. There is a homebrew full metal alchemist class in the DnD wiki, and a unarmed warblade/homebrew alchemist would fit Armstrong pretty well.

3. If not, there are ways to get maneuvers at range, and using magic items, especially weak, expensive, and limited/day magic items to do things he's supposed to be able to do all day is a bit lame. Stone Dragon Maneuvers at range would cover it. Striking a wall and breaking off a bit of rock and then hurling that rock on the end of your fist as a thrown weapon could cover it too. If you could figure out a way to cheese your Craft (Statues) check enough and the statues were worth comparatively little enough, I think you could craft them in less than a round or instantly. If not, there's ways to get things, especially psionic powers, as SLAs.

4. There are ways to use Str as a basis for diplomacy. And to get auras that make people like you (impress them).

Rasman
2011-02-08, 07:43 PM
1. If I was you i'd probably take this to a CO forum (either 339 or brilliantgameologist's min/max it subforum) cause CO people tend to be good at building concepts without making them a) not do what you want them to do or b) be too weak to play in a group.

2. There is a homebrew full metal alchemist class in the DnD wiki, and a unarmed warblade/homebrew alchemist would fit Armstrong pretty well.

3. If not, there are ways to get maneuvers at range, and using magic items, especially weak, expensive, and limited/day magic items to do things he's supposed to be able to do all day is a bit lame. Stone Dragon Maneuvers at range would cover it. Striking a wall and breaking off a bit of rock and then hurling that rock on the end of your fist as a thrown weapon could cover it too. If you could figure out a way to cheese your Craft (Statues) check enough and the statues were worth comparatively little enough, I think you could craft them in less than a round or instantly. If not, there's ways to get things, especially psionic powers, as SLAs.

4. There are ways to use Str as a basis for diplomacy. And to get auras that make people like you (impress them).

Yeah...I'm not really sure why I haven't taken it to a CO forum yet. Probably because I just didn't think about it, even though I've done so in the past with other character types.

I actually like your thought process on Unarmed Warblade, especially with the right equipment and maneuvers are always better. (I just started playing a Samurai Flavored Warblade and even at level 1 I love it already since it's my first ToB character build)

#3 KINDA hurts my soul a bit, but...it's true...even though it's an awesome item IMO...Stone Dragon is very much like Armstrong, but I'm not exactly sure how I'd work the...oh...OH...I think I got it...Throwing Amulet of Mighty Fists...perfect...they'd hit JUST as hard as his Unarmed Strike at range...huhuhuhuhuuuuu

I think the one feat you're thinking of is Nimbus of Light from BoED, I'm not sure what the Strength to Diplomacy is, I know how to get Str to Intimidate, but not that...pretty excellent points though...I might have to turn to Armstrong 3.0 now...

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-02-08, 07:48 PM
Bloodstorm Blade lets you use maneuvers at range with no problems at all. If you fudge the racial requirements (stoneblessed, perhaps?), Deepstone Sentinel would work marvelously for him.

Shards of Granite is pretty much what he lives for. Completely ignores DR and Hardness, letting him break walls with a single punch.

Rasman
2011-02-08, 08:27 PM
Bloodstorm Blade lets you use maneuvers at range with no problems at all. If you fudge the racial requirements (stoneblessed, perhaps?), Deepstone Sentinel would work marvelously for him.

Shards of Granite is pretty much what he lives for. Completely ignores DR and Hardness, letting him break walls with a single punch.

True...that could probably be fluffed properly...I srsly need to reopen ToB again...

Arillius
2011-02-14, 06:23 PM
You could take a level of cleric for the plant domain, growth subdomain. As a swift action you can enlarge yourself as per the spell 3+ wis times a day.

Rasman
2011-02-14, 06:57 PM
You could take a level of cleric for the plant domain, growth subdomain. As a swift action you can enlarge yourself as per the spell 3+ wis times a day.

I've actually been hashing this out on the BG forums as well. Someone there convinced me that Psionics is the way to go with him since, everything described that he does, can be done with Psionics, for the most part.

It was made a point that Psychic Warrior would be a good fit and with the changes made to it in Pathfinder's Psionics Unleashed, it's almost PERFECT for what Alex does. I'm not very familiar with Psionics though, so it's taking more time to figure out than normal.

In the end though, he'll PROBABLY end up with two builds, one with Psionics and one without, we'll see.