PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Build Decisions

Serenity
2010-11-12, 10:05 PM
One of my friends is setting up a gestalt campaign, and has given me leave to make use of the Crusader for an 'ultimate shounen hero commander' concept. So now I must decide--for this most epic general, should I gestalt with Bard, or with Marshal?

Quietus
2010-11-12, 10:10 PM
With Bard, you could Dragonfire Inspiration with Song of the White Raven.. I think that makes it a move action to add fistfuls of fire damage dice to everyone's attacks, which any general should be able to do. :smalltongue:

Urpriest
2010-11-12, 10:13 PM
Bard is a good idea, though remember that generally with Gestalt you can't progress the same class feature twice, so Song of the White Raven will only give you its bonus for the higher of your Bard and Crusader levels, not for their sum.

fireinakasha
2010-11-12, 10:13 PM
Marshall.

You'll have a hard time initiating maneuvers and singing songs at the same time, but throwing up an aura and then martialing it up should work pretty well.

Edit: Well actually, I shouldn't be so hasty. It depends on whether you're planning for this general to wade into battle, or stand back and inspire the troops. I assumed the wading part, but bard would be better for a more supportive role...

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-12, 10:18 PM
How much charisma are you planing on having? I ask because while bard is nice if your going to have lots of cha I say for a "shonen hero" your other side should be some kind of divine fullcaster. If you want to get REALLY shonen Shugenja fits the bill. Elemental spells(which are a very common type of shonen offensive attack to the point it's kinda become an anime cliche') and Asian flavor come with that class and since their magic is divine it means you can cast while wearing that nice heavy armor you get as a crusader. Add eschew materials for even more shonen-esc awesomeness(After all, I don't think shonen heroes ever really had to use random stuff like bat poop and pieces of wire to use their crazy elemental powers and giant ki balls.)

If you don't want Shugeja however then Favored Soul is a good choice. Sure, without wisdom your DCs will stink but with a favored soul you get nice stuff like weapons specialization and since you use the cleric spell list you can be a REALLY GOOD commander/leader type. After all, nothing says helping out the team like throwing around those awesome cleric buffs and healing if you actually like healing. The best thing about those buffs is they can actually help you in combat as well. Of course there always is the cleric class itself but I don't think crusaders use wis at all while cha may have been a small factor but still a factor for them..

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-11-12, 10:23 PM
Harmonious Knight Paladin (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) 2/ Crusader 4, you get Inspire Courage, a +6 BAB, your Cha bonus to saving throws, 3rd level maneuvers, and can spend a feat to get a 3rd level stance.

Urpriest
2010-11-12, 10:27 PM
Harmonious Knight Paladin (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) 2/ Crusader 4, you get Inspire Courage, a +6 BAB, your Cha bonus to saving throws, 3rd level maneuvers, and can spend a feat to get a 3rd level stance.

You can't gestalt Crusader with Crusader.

Demons_eye
2010-11-12, 10:35 PM
Bard is a good idea, though remember that generally with Gestalt you can't progress the same class feature twice, so Song of the White Raven will only give you its bonus for the higher of your Bard and Crusader levels, not for their sum.

Ummm I may be wrong but while you can not advance the same class feature at the same time, Song of the White Raven does not work that way. It stacks your Crusader levels with your Bard levels to determine your bonus. While, yes, its cheesey I believe its RAW.

Serenity
2010-11-12, 10:38 PM
Such an interpretation would no doubt cause the DM to have Pun-Pun show up to take the feat away.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-11-12, 10:45 PM
You can't gestalt Crusader with Crusader.

I was looking at an E6 thread at the same time as this one, and got confused as to which was which...