our greatest fears lie in ourselves and what we may become:
the most unnatural of our own perversions

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/Vaynor/Llawfeddyg/moon_risen.gif

Medium Aberration
Hit Dice: 9d8+18 (58 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 26 (+4 Dex, +6 natural, +6 insight), touch 20, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+9 (+15 tentacles)
Attack:
+1 adamantine scalpel +11 (+17 corporeal) melee (1d6+2(+8 corporeal) and 1 Con; 17-20/x3)
and tentacle +10 (+16 corporeal) melee (1d10+1(+7 corporeal) and fear)
Full Attack:
+1 adamantine scalpel +11/+6 (+17/+11 corporeal) melee (1d6+2(+8 corporeal) and 1 Con; 17-20/x3)
and 2 tentacles +10 (+16 corporeal) melee (1d10+1(+7 corporeal) and fear)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. tentacles)
Special Attacks: Mortal fear, scalpel, shadowspawn
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., anatomical prodigy, autonomic tentacles, fast healing 5, immune to fear, surgical modifications
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +13, Will +12
Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 15, Int 23, Wis 19, Cha 20
Skills: Balance +10, Bluff +17, Climb +7, Disguise +17, Escape Artist +10, Forgery +12,
Heal +22, Hide +10, Intimidate +15, Jump +7, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +10,
Knowledge (local) +12, Knowledge (nature) +12, Knowledge (religion) +10, Knowledge (the planes) +12,
Listen +15, Move Silently +10, Sleight of Hand +16, Spot +15, Swim +7, Tumble +10, Use Rope +10
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Improved Critical (scalpel)B
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: Standard items and scalpel
Alignment: Always lawful neutral
Advancement: By character class

The lean figure is clothed in a clean white coat and black pants. Atop its seemingly normal body is a face devoid of features except for a single, unblinking eye. One hand rests in a coat pocket, the other limp at its side, clutching a small, surgical blade. Its face is expressionless and its posture stiff yet relaxed. Its feet are wrapped in shadow, the darkness pooling out from beneath it. As time passes under its glare, slender shapes emerge from the shadows, twirling around the figure, spiraling upwards. Eyes emerge from their heads, their mouths opening widely to reveal a set of sharp, shadowy teeth. Sudden, immense fear overwhelms the area as the air grows cold.

All llawfeddyg were once men, but using that word to describe the would be very far from the truth. Obsessed with the knowledge of medicine and anatomy, the llawfeddyg casts out its own mortal fears, which take the form of serpentine shadows emanating from its own shadow. Without fear, the llawfeddyg pursues anatomical perfection, perverting its own image to suit its warped fantasies. However, in order to refine its techniques, it needs practice and “volunteers” for surgery. Due to the fatality rate of its volunteers, the llawfeddyg constantly seeks additional patients.

The llawfeddyg stands six feet high and weighs 150 pounds. It can speak and read all languages. The llawfeddyg does not receive any penalties from aging and cannot die of old age. The llawfeddyg does not need to eat, drink, sleep, or breathe.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/Vaynor/Llawfeddyg/monsters.gif

Combat
The llawfeddyg prefers to attack swiftly and with minimum risk to itself. It will attempt to entrap its opponents using its tentacle attack as often as possible, inspiring fear in the hearts of its enemies to its advantage. If melee combat is necessary, it will use its scalpel primarily, keeping its tentacles on hand as a method of keeping its opponents at bay. If faced with multiple enemies at once or damaged too heavily, it will use its area effect fear attack to give it a chance to regain its health. If forced to, the llawfeddyg will attempt to flee to preserve its life when all other options fail. The llawfeddyg prefers to take prisoners to experiment on after the battle is over, and will stabilize any nearby unconscious enemies if it is not in immediate danger. It will not sacrifice itself to do this, however, it holds its own life above all others, and will gladly perform autopsies if a victim happens to die during combat.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/Vaynor/Llawfeddyg/human_eyes.gif

Anatomical Prodigy (Ex): A llawfeddyg has a masterful knowledge of the anatomies of all creatures. This knowledge allows it to spot weaknesses in the creatures it fights and exploit them to its advantage. When fighting any corporeal creature the llawfeddyg strikes with surgical precision, gaining an insight bonus to all attack and damage rolls equal to its Intelligence modifier.

This ability applies to the llawfeddyg’s body as well, its knowledge of its own anatomy allowing it to move its body in a manner that prevents serious damage from being done (by missing vital organs), or avoiding damage altogether. The llawfeddyg gains an insight bonus to its armor class equal to its Intelligence modifier.

The llawfeddyg gains an insight bonus equal to its Intelligence modifier on all Heal checks.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/Vaynor/Llawfeddyg/cut_blood.gif

Surgical Modifications (Ex): The llawfeddyg is a master surgeon and has spent time operating on itself in order to perfect its own body. The llawfeddyg has altered the way its body functions, removing the need for a mouth and nose entirely (and has naturally removed them from his face). The llawfeddyg does not need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep, and does not age. Additionally, despite its low strength, the llawfeddyg has modified its body to more efficiently and capably perform physical activities as well as increasing its perception. The llawfeddyg has a bonus equal to its Intelligence modifier on the following skills: Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Tumble, and Use Rope. Additionally, the llawfeddyg gains an insight bonus equal to its Intelligence modifier on Fortitude and Reflex saves.

Additionally, the llawfeddyg has an increased metabolism, allowing it to heal its own body at a greatly increased pace, granting the llawfeddyg fast healing 5.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/Vaynor/Llawfeddyg/beef_salute.gif

Scalpel (Ex): The llawfeddyg’s main weapon is its scalpel, or surgical knife. The scalpel is considered a +1 wounding scalpel made of adamantine except when noted otherwise. This item is always included in a llawfeddyg’s treasure in addition to normal treasure. The scalpel is described below.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/Vaynor/Llawfeddyg/dread_heartbeat.gif

Shadowspawn (Su): The llawfeddyg’s fear is externally personified as two serpentine shadows. The shadows grant the llawfeddyg two tentacle attacks with a 10 foot reach. Whenever the llawfeddyg succeeds on an attack with one of his tentacles, it may make an immediate grapple check against its target with an insight bonus equal to its Intelligence modifier. If the grapple check succeeds, the tentacle latches on to the head of its target, rendering it immobilized as long as the tentacle remains attached. At the end of the first round of attachment, the victim may attempt to get free by making a grapple check against the tentacle or making a DC 19 Fortitude save. This save is Charisma-based. While latched onto an opponent, the tentacle deals tentacle damage each round until removed, and cannot attack any other opponents. The llawfeddyg can move up to 30 feet away from an ensnared target before the tentacle is forced to detach.

Autonomic Tentacles: The shadowspawn act independently of the llawfeddyg (although commanded by it) allowing the llawfeddyg to make tentacle attacks without disrupting its actions. If a llawfeddyg does not make a full-attack during its turn it may make a single tentacle attack as a swift action. Additionally, when making a full attack that includes both of its two tentacles, neither tentacle receives a penalty to their attack roll due to being secondary attacks.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/Vaynor/Llawfeddyg/fears.gif

Mortal Fear (Su): The fear of our own mortality petrifies the mightiest of warriors. By attacking his foes with his own, conquered fears, the llawfeddyg introduces that fear unto their minds. Upon a successful hit with the llawfeddyg’s tentacles, the target must succeed on a DC 19 Will save or be shaken. Additionally, as a standard action, the llawfeddyg may send out a wave of fear in a 30-foot radius, causing any who fail a DC 19 Will save to be shaken. This fear effect is cumulative as normal. The saves are Charisma-based.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/Vaynor/Llawfeddyg/darker_place.gif

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/Vaynor/Llawfeddyg/punchline.jpg
Credit for quotes and images to Clive Barker

New Weapon

Scalpel: A small blade commonly used for performing surgeries, the scalpel is incredibly sharp. The scalpel is a light simple weapon, dealing 1d4 piercing and slashing damage with a critical threat range of 19-20/x3. The scalpel grants a +2 bonus on Heal checks when performing surgery of any kind. A scalpel is always masterwork.
Weight: 1 lb; Cost: 310 gp.

The Tygre
2010-11-13, 01:28 AM
My God...

This is AWESOME.

Toptomcat
2010-11-13, 02:01 AM
Spectacular flavor, but what does it do in a campaign? What are their goals, how does it come into conflict with the PCs beyond being a particularly creepy version of an orc sitting on a chest in a 10' by 10' room?

To begin with, you might want to give its obsession with anatomy a little bit of teeth by giving some kind of ability to modify other creatures, allowing it to form little surgery-cults of body-modifying grave-robbing organ thieves, forever searching for raw materials for new and exciting body parts to try out. Perhaps allow it to confer a Monster of Legend-style flexible template, or give it some kind of affinity for grafts. It would be really nice if you could somehow give PCs a reason to come to it and ask for its medical help...
That would help to contextualize it as something more than a random bit of macabre creepiness, albiet well-executed macabre creepiness.

Vaynor
2010-11-13, 02:06 AM
My God...

This is AWESOME.

Thanks. :smallsmile:

Spectacular flavor, but what does it do in a campaign? What are their goals, how does it come into conflict with the PCs beyond being a particularly creepy version of an orc sitting on a chest in a 10' by 10' room?

To begin with, you might want to give its obsession with anatomy a little bit of teeth by giving some kind of ability to modify other creatures, allowing it to form little surgery-cults of body-modifying grave-robbing organ thieves, forever searching for raw materials for new and exciting body parts to try out. Perhaps allow it to confer a Monster of Legend-style flexible template, or give it some kind of affinity for grafts. It would be really nice if you could somehow give PCs a reason to come to it and ask for its medical help...
That would help to contextualize it as something more than a random bit of macabre creepiness, albiet well-executed macabre creepiness.

Their goals are fairly clearly (or so I thought) stated in the main monster description. They are obsessed with anatomy and go around killing/maiming in order to get subjects to practice on. And with their high intelligence, I'm sure they could think of some pretty devious ways to do so.

That is a great idea though, I'll definitely whip up some kind of template that allows it to upgrade/control creatures it when I have a chance.

Debihuman
2010-11-13, 09:53 AM
I answered more of these in my response to you in the Contest thread. However, your attack lines are off.

Attack: Weapon OR Natural Attack
Full Attack: Weapon AND Natural Attack (NA is at a -5 penalty even if it is a primary attack unless you have Multiattack) See SRD for explanation if necessary.

Debby

Vaynor
2010-11-13, 02:21 PM
I answered more of these in my response to you in the Contest thread. However, your attack lines are off.

Attack: Weapon OR Natural Attack
Full Attack: Weapon AND Natural Attack (NA is at a -5 penalty even if it is a primary attack unless you have Multiattack) See SRD for explanation if necessary.

Debby

The "and" in the attack line is completely intentional, read the shadowspawn description. Same reason for the lack of penalty in the full attack, even if not explicitly stated. I'll make it more clear.

Edit: Added an ability for it, it should be more clear now.

AugustNights
2010-11-14, 01:42 PM
This.
I need.
To be able.
To play this.

Also, I am using this against my players first chance I get. (Which will be a bit off, as that I'm a bit out of town for the year.)

Owrtho
2010-11-14, 05:56 PM
I quite like this monster. It has a delightfully creepy flavour to it. Though I do find the fact that one dedicated to perfecting their body would remove one of their eyes given that would cause a loss of depth perception which is generally considered a good thing to have.

Owrtho

Toptomcat
2010-11-14, 11:50 PM
A sufficiently large eye could theoretically have sufficiently fine focus that binocular vision would be unnecessary for depth perception.

Vaynor
2010-11-15, 12:31 AM
This.
I need.
To be able.
To play this.

Also, I am using this against my players first chance I get. (Which will be a bit off, as that I'm a bit out of town for the year.)

I didn't really intend it to be for PC use, but I suppose you could add an LA to it if you wanted.

I quite like this monster. It has a delightfully creepy flavour to it. Though I do find the fact that one dedicated to perfecting their body would remove one of their eyes given that would cause a loss of depth perception which is generally considered a good thing to have.

Owrtho

A sufficiently large eye could theoretically have sufficiently fine focus that binocular vision would be unnecessary for depth perception.

The wonders of ocular surgery at work. He has simply removed the need for depth perception, making the extra eye extraneous.

Debihuman
2010-11-15, 06:31 AM
The "and" in the attack line is completely intentional, read the shadowspawn description. Same reason for the lack of penalty in the full attack, even if not explicitly stated. I'll make it more clear.

Edit: Added an ability for it, it should be more clear now.

Except this is is incorrect. The Attack line is supposed to have the word "or" in it.

See Reading the Monster Entries (I bolded the relevant portion for emphasis)

Attack

This line shows the single attack the creature makes with an attack action. In most cases, this is also the attack the creature uses when making an attack of opportunity as well. The attack line provides the weapon used (natural or manufactured), attack bonus, and form of attack (melee or ranged). The attack bonus given includes modifications for size and Strength (for melee attacks) or Dexterity (for ranged attacks). A creature with the Weapon Finesse feat can use its Dexterity modifier on melee attacks. If the creature uses natural attacks, the natural weapon given here is the creature’s primary natural weapon. If the creature has several different weapons at its disposal, the alternatives are shown, with each different attack separated by the word "or." A creature can use one of its secondary natural weapons when making an attack action, but if it does it takes an attack penalty, as noted in the Full Attack section below. The damage that each attack deals is noted parenthetically. Damage from an attack is always at least 1 point, even if a subtraction from a die roll reduces the result to 0 or lower.

If the creature only uses both both attacks together, it should be noted and written in the Combat section for clarity.

Debby

Vaynor
2010-11-15, 03:12 PM
That's only if they are only able to use one attack in a standard action. The llawfeddyg can use both, so "and" is correct.

You are correct in most cases, however this monster is a specific exemption.

AugustNights
2010-11-15, 03:43 PM
Autonomic Tentacles: The shadowspawn act independently of the llawfeddyg (although commanded by it) allowing the llawfeddyg to make tentacle attacks without disrupting its actions. If a llawfeddyg does not make a full-attack during its turn it may make a single tentacle attack as a swift action. Additionally, when making a full attack that includes both of its two tentacles, neither tentacle receives a penalty to their attack roll due to being secondary attacks.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Debihuman
2010-11-16, 01:42 PM
You should really state the obvious: Whenever a llawfeddyg attacks with both its tentacles and its scalpel, it does not take the -5 penalty to attack with its tentacles as if it had the Improved Multiattack feat.

Even though both attacks are primary attacks, when you combine natural and manufactured weapons, there is a penalty of -5 to the natural weapon attack because it is considered a secondary weapon.

Some creatures combine attacks with natural and manufactured weapons when they make a full attack. When they do so, the manufactured weapon attack is considered the primary attack unless the creature’s description indicates otherwise and any natural weapons the creature also uses are considered secondary natural attacks. These secondary attacks do not interfere with the primary attack as attacking with an off-hand weapon does, but they take the usual -5 penalty (or -2 with the Multiattack feat) for such attacks, even if the natural weapon used is normally the creature’s primary natural weapon.

In the attack line, the attacks are separated by the word "or" and in the full attack like the attacks are separated by the word "and."

It's primary attacks are its natural weapons and it's manufactured weapon. It can use both at the same time without penalty.

Can it make tentacle attacks without using it's weapon? Can it use its weapon without using its tentacles? If so, then the attack line should be separated by the word "or". If however you are indicating that the creature cannot make those attacks separately, then the word "and" would be appropriate.

Debby

Tanuki Tales
2010-11-16, 03:09 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this would make a better d20 Modern monster than a fantasy encounter?

Wonderful beastie regardless.

Vaynor
2010-11-16, 03:49 PM
Debi: I'm happy with the ability as is, thank you for the suggestions. As for your last comment, are you under the impression that a creature has to use every single attack listed under full attack when performing a full attack action? If I used the word "or" that would signify one or the other, not one or the other or both at once. What would be most accurate (as "or" is in fact not accurate in the slightest) would be "and/or" but since creatures can simply chose not to use an attack if they want to, in D&D this is simplified to "and". A full attack is simply what happens when you use more than one attack.

I was going to say that the penalty would be reduced by 5, as you suggested, but I found it much simpler to allow them to use a tentacle attack as a swift action (they have nothing else to use on swift actions anyways) so as to further the idea of the tentacles being autonomic. My ability effectively has the same result, just with different methods. That is regarding standard action attacks, at least. I clearly state that with a full attack they do not receive any penalties for it being a secondary attack.

Am I the only one who thinks this would make a better d20 Modern monster than a fantasy encounter?

Wonderful beastie regardless.

Alas, I do not know the d20 Modern system, although I agree it would fit nicely. Thank you! :smallsmile:

Tanuki Tales
2010-11-17, 08:40 PM
Alas, I do not know the d20 Modern system, although I agree it would fit nicely. Thank you! :smallsmile:

It's not too different. You just need to update it from 3.0 rules to 3.5 and then use the conversion rules to bring it over. If you PM me I can help you with that.

Vaynor
2010-11-19, 03:38 PM
If I have a chance I'll let you know, thanks for the offer.