PDA

View Full Version : Phasma; Demonic Drugs [Life In Hell]

Pyre_Born
2010-11-13, 12:52 AM
So over at the Life In Hell Community World Building Project. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172430) we've been working on a few ideas, and need some Help from the Playgrounders!

Basically we have a drug created from mortal emotions to be used by demons (but also abused by some mortals). This drug is Phasma, and the basic idea for it is that the user starts out with "good" emotion, love, happiness, etc. However this effect lasts for about an hour, leading to a negative emotion that last for a few hours after that.

I'm gonna post what we have so far, and hopefully get some ideas to flesh it out, and maybe even some help with the crunchy parts.

What we've got so far, basic rough ideas:

This is just the rough start

{table=head]Addiction Value | Save | Satiation | Damage
Low | DC 10 | 7 Days | 1d2 Wis, 1d2 Int
Medium|DC 15|4 Days|1d3 Wis, 1d3 Int, 1d3 Dex
High|DC 20|1 Day|1d4 Wis, 1d4 Int, 1d4 Dex, 1d4 Con
Very High|DC 25|12 Hours|1d6 Wis, 1d6 Int, 1d6 Dex, 1d6 Con, 1d6 Cha
Extreme|DC 30|2 Hours|1d8 to all abilities
[/table]
Since non of the drug rules are OGL, I made some based off them, I intentionally made them more powerful to focus on the fact that these are demonically created drugs for use on...Demons. They want the masses to become addicted, thus the higher DC's

Addiction: with every dose taken of a drug, role a Will save against the addiction DC of the drug chosen. Failing this save makes the recipient addicted.

Satiation: this time frame is how often an addicted creature is required to take the drug to keep from having withdrawals.

Withdrawal: if an addicted creature fails to take a dose of their addicted drug before the satiation time lapses they take the damage specified on the table above. This damage is taken every day that the addict does not get a fix.

Initial Effects: Any initial effect stated in the drug write up lasts for 1d12 hours. This can be bypassed by a will save.

Side Effect: If a drug has a side effect listed, the user must make a will save against the DC or gain this side effect for 1d6 hours

Secondary Effect: This is the effect upon the user during the period of withdrawal. To bypass this effect a will save must be made. Secondary effects end immediately upon taking a dose.

(Note that all saves can be voluntarily failed)

Recovery: To recover from withdrawals, a character must make two successful will saves in a row.

Two castings of Lesser Restoration or one casting of Restoration automatically recovers the character.

Remove Diseasse nullifies the addiction, but does not prevent a character from becoming addicted once again.

Note:
Low - Mortal Drugs
Medium - Some mortal drugs/mortal attempts at demonic drugs
High - Professional attempts at demonic drugs/Demonically made mortal drugs
Very High - Your average demonic drugs
Extreme - The worst (or best, depending on your pov) of the demonic drugs.

Some thoughts on the Main drugs:

Love: Initial Effect - Feeling of loving EVERYTHING
Side Effect - Lust, you want EVERYTHING :smallredface:
Secondary Effect - Longing, you miss something, it controls your day, it doesn't matter what, probably one of your good old quill pens that you lost

Joy: Initial Effect - Everything makes you happy, nothing makes you feel sad
Side Effect - Enthrallment, you become attached to something, I'm talking stalker like attachment
Secondary Effect - Pride, your ego can't fit in Hell anymore

Surprise: Initial Effect - Everything seems new and exciting
Side Effect - Relief, you feel like everything is a major relief to you, even the most minor things
Secondary Effect - Immense Surprise, you become jumpy, everything surprises you to an extreme, you even jump at your own breathing

Anger: Initial Effect - You are mad at everything, nothing makes you happy
Side Effect - Envy, you become jealous of everyone and it makes you mad
Secondary Effect - Rage, you have one hell of a temper (get it...:smalltongue:)

Sadness: Initial Effect - Everything is sad, even the puppies make you cry
Side Effect - Sympathy, you sympathize with everything, Demons may even sympathize with their slaves
Secondary Effect - Depression, you turn into a sobbing mess of regret

Fear: Initial Effect - You are even scared of your own shadow
Side Effect - Anxiety, you become nervous for some reason
Secondary Effect - Shock, any little fright could send you into a drooling mess, almost coma like

These are just some rough ideas, I still gotta flesh them out some more, but shouldn't be too hard.

Thinking of some names to go along with the Latin derived Phasma:
Amor - Love - Latin for....well Love
Evinco - Joy - Latin for Enthrall
Admira - Surprise - From Admiratio, Latin for Surprise
Furor - Anger - Latin for Rage
Tristis - Sadness - Latin for Sad
Terror - Fear - Latin for...Terror/Fear

Some additional by akma:
Initial effect: Sensetivity to pain, every touch hurts (masochists would love it).
Side effect: Inside pain, possibly throwing up.
Secondery effect: the target would be unable to move becuse of pain, and would lay on the floor.
Guilt: Initial effect: feeling guilty for all the wrongs you did in life, and realising what you should have done.
Side effect: feeling guilty on things you shouldn`t feel guilty about, which ends up as feeling guilty for everything.
Secondery effect: doing horrible things just to feel the enormous guilt.
Contemplation: Initial effect: Understanding more things about life.
Side effect: thinking disturbing thoughts.
Secondery effect: Entaring a near catatonic state, in which you (yes you! :smalltongue: ) wonder about things endlessly, and it feels like days have passed.

Hope: Initial effect: Feeling happy and optimistic.
Side effect: Attempting to things that have almost no chance of succseeding, then most likely failing, then feeling deeply dissappointed and a bit deppressed.
Withdrawl effect: trying despretly to achieve things (usually the drug) against horrible odds while risking yourself greatly.

Emotions:
Resentment, greed, lust, envy, shock (like surprise but traumatic), despration, nausia, confusion, dissappointment, hunger.

Basically this thread is for organization purposes, and to get help on working out the rules for the drugs themselves.

Peace,
Pyre

akma
2010-11-13, 03:33 AM
Pain: Initial effect: Sensetivity to pain, every touch hurts (masochists would love it).
Secondery effect: the target would be unable to move becuse of pain, and would lay on the floor.
Guilt: Initial effect: feeling guilty for all the wrongs you did in life, and realising what you should have done.
Side effect: feeling guilty on things you shouldn`t feel guilty about, which ends up as feeling guilty for everything.
Secondery effect: Entaring a near catatonic state, in which you (yes you! :smalltongue: ) wonder about things endlessly, and it feels like days have passed.

I think the secondery effect should be called withdrawl effect.
Also, save DC 10 is so low that I think only mortals should make drugs that weak.

Pyre_Born
2010-11-13, 04:39 PM
Pain: Initial effect: Sensetivity to pain, every touch hurts (masochists would love it).

I think the secondery effect should be called withdrawl effect.
Also, save DC 10 is so low that I think only mortals should make drugs that weak.

I like the Drugs you've got their. Definitely agree on changing secondary to withdrawal effect. As for the save DC's I'm thinking that Demonic drugs shouldn't be under the High Tier for addiction.

I'm thinking:
Low - Mortal Drugs

Peace,
Pyre

akma
2010-11-14, 10:03 AM
I like the Drugs you've got their. Definitely agree on changing secondary to withdrawal effect. As for the save DC's I'm thinking that Demonic drugs shouldn't be under the High Tier for addiction.

Please add them to the first post list.

I'm thinking:
Low - Mortal Drugs

Agreed.

Hope: Initial effect: Feeling happy and optimistic.
Side effect: Attempting to things that have almost no chance of succseeding, then most likely failing, then feeling deeply dissappointed and a bit deppressed.
Withdrawl effect: trying despretly to achieve things (usually the drug) against horrible odds while risking yourself greatly.

Emotions:
Resentment, greed, lust, envy, shock (like surprise but traumatic), despration, nausia, confusion, dissappointment, hunger.

Pyre_Born
2010-11-17, 05:19 AM
Updated the first post with what you got posted, and clarifying what levels of addiction are used for each type of drug (demonic or mortal)

Also gonna try to get some more work done on this in a few days, trying to get a few things done in the Demon Creation thread, and my Classless thread.

Peace,
Pyre

akma
2010-11-17, 12:35 PM
Hunger: Initial effect: great hunger for delicates.
Side effect: great hunger for any organic metariel.
Withdrawl effect: eating anything around you, including non organic metariels, poisonous metariels and people.

Also, how mechanically would the side effects and withdrawl effects be represented?

Pyre_Born
2010-11-17, 04:57 PM
Hunger: Initial effect: great hunger for delicates.
Side effect: great hunger for any organic metariel.
Withdrawl effect: eating anything around you, including non organic metariels, poisonous metariels and people.

Also, how mechanically would the side effects and withdrawl effects be represented?

Mechanically, using hunger that you posted.

Hunger:
Save DC: Will Save DC 20
Addiction DC: Will Save DC 20
Satiation Period: 1 Day

Resist DC: Will Save DC 25 (DC 30 during withdrawal)
Initial Effect: For 1d12 hours after taking the Hunger Drug the has an urge to eat delicates.
Side Effect: After 1d6 Hours, roll a Will Save, if failed, you begin to crave organic material.
Withdrawal: If, after 1 day, the user has not taken another dose of hunger suffers from an urge to eat anything around you.

Recovery: Making two successful saves in a row, or being the target of any restoration spells will end the withdrawal effects but not the addiction.

Basically just have the basic drug outline, and give the user an save to resist the urges. I made the Resist DC 5 higher since you've already failed to stop the drug, and withdrawal another 5 higher, since at least in my experience, withdrawal sufferers have a harder time resisting urges.

This is just a quick thought for the mechanics, if anyone has any improvements I'm more than happy to change things

Peace,
Pyre

akma
2010-11-18, 12:34 PM
The diffrence of 10 in the save DCes means that it would be trivial to not get addicted to those who could overcome their addiction. That seems a bit odd, was that intentionel?

Pyre_Born
2010-11-18, 07:34 PM
The diffrence of 10 in the save DCes means that it would be trivial to not get addicted to those who could overcome their addiction. That seems a bit odd, was that intentionel?

Now do you mean the Base DC, or the Withdrawal DC. The Base DC is just using the High Addiction value as an example, it could be any level of addiction we choose. If it's the withdrawal DC, then the +10 to the DC is to resist the urges caused by the drug, not the addiction.

So while +10 wouldn't be too much for someone who can pass the addiction DC, the withdrawal urges will happen frequently. Using hunger, you have the urge to eat EVERYTHING, so you'll basically be sitting in a room rolling against a DC 30 for almost everything in the room, if you're in a crowded area, you'll be rolling against eating each person you see. The +10 isn't much on it's own in moderation, but in the extreme event of withdrawal you're definitely gonna fail at least once and try to chow down on someone on the street.

Peace,
Pyre

Pyre_Born
2010-11-22, 07:48 AM
Bump!

I've got some organizations I'm working on for the main thread, after that I'll start trying to fine tune the drug rules, and hopefully get up some feats, items, and spells to go with them. If we can get enough up I'm going to start a thread on Classes/Prestige Classes for Hell so I can start getting some Phasma related classes up.

Peace,
Pyre

akma
2010-11-22, 02:05 PM
I think the drug section is pretty much done. Some more could be made, but we have enough.

Pyre_Born
2010-11-22, 10:01 PM
I think the drug section is pretty much done. Some more could be made, but we have enough.

Yeah pretty much, I'm gonna get everything formatted and into the first post soon.

Peace,
Pyre