PDA

View Full Version : Looking for what classes to take as epic wizard

fulong
2010-11-13, 05:01 AM
I am a level 5 diviner/10 incantatrix/ 5 arch mage, and I just hit level 21. I do not know what epic feat or class to take. Anyone have suggestion?

Adamaro
2010-11-13, 05:12 AM
I am genuinely intrigued in what exactly do you do in your campaign at this point (lvl 20 Batman) besides pushing "I win" button? A word on that would be great, if you feel like.

Jan Mattys
2010-11-13, 05:24 AM
I am genuinely intrigued in what exactly do you do in your campaign at this point (lvl 20 Batman) besides pushing "I win" button? A word on that would be great, if you feel like.

Batman =/= Wizard

Just so you know...

Clovis
2010-11-13, 05:27 AM
Epic spellcasting?

Alleran
2010-11-13, 06:48 AM
Take a level of Wizard for your class, and Epic Spellcasting as your 21st level feat. You win the multiverse.

fulong
2010-11-13, 06:49 AM
Epic spellcasting?

Unfortunately, the GM rarely gives out money so I cannot develop epic spells. :smallfrown:

Sewercop
2010-11-13, 06:59 AM
Unfortunately, the GM rarely gives out money so I cannot develop epic spells. :smallfrown:

Just create whatever you need. Level 20 wizard do not care about money. Martial characters do.
Create your own plane made of win.

Alleran
2010-11-13, 07:17 AM
Yes you can. Chain Gate Solars or Efreets. Have them use their Wish SLAs to create material wealth for you (up to 25000gp per Wish). It doesn't cost them any XP, since they're SLAs.

Or use Wall of Iron, then Fabricate. Corner the market on horseshoes, nails, and all that fun stuff.

Or, consider this. Two poles will sell for more than it costs to buy one ladder.

You're a level 20 caster, almost epic-level. You should have stopped caring about money five levels ago.

Runestar
2010-11-13, 07:19 AM
The most accessible epic spells have a DC of 0 anyways, so researching one costs only 4500gp.

If your DM doesn't allow it, then probably more sane choices like improved spell capacity.:smallsmile:

Radar
2010-11-13, 07:24 AM
The key to epic spellcasting lies in cost mitigation. Without it, you won't be even able to replicate a fireball. With it, you can reshape reality to your whim (even more so, then pre-epic).

Apart from that: Multispell and Automatic Quicken Spell look realy good. Spell Stowaway can be great to have, when you fight other casters (best candidate spells are Time Stop, Celerity, Greater Celerity - the two latter, if you have immunity to Daze).
Ignore Material Components can be quite handy, if you are realy low on cash and like using otherwise expensive spells (for example Forcecage). Normally you don't have to bother with wealth at that point, so it's not that good.

Glimbur
2010-11-13, 11:51 AM
What feats do you have? I'm thinking of Initiate of the Sevenfold Veils here, as it is pretty useful but requires some odd feats to get in. There are other caster PrC's like that.

Alternately, take four levels which include Warblade and Monk or Rogue. Probably Monk or Rogue 2/Warblade 2. See, epic is different. You have your full spell progression, and you can paper over four lost caster levels with practiced spellcaster. So things like evasion (from monk or rogue) and maneuvers (especially diamond mind stuff) are nice. Hexblade for Mettle is also worth considering.

ericgrau
2010-11-13, 12:10 PM
Yes you can. Chain Gate Solars or Efreets.
No you can't, not with a sane DM anyway. Or if you can, then just be Pun Pun. Ditto for the other shennanigans

Out of the Epic Level Handbook PrCs the Agent Retriever is the only one with full casting and I dunno if you have the pre-reqs or dex for it, or if you need anything it gives. You may want to stick with epic wizard for the bonus feats. Next what'll matter is your feat selection. Multispell, spell stowaway (with a cooperating ally), and improved metamagic can get ridiculous. Tenacious magic, improved spell capacity, master staff, automatic quicken and the two epic metamagic feats are ok.

I say automatic quicken is okay because you need to take it 3 times for it to really be special, and even then I'd want to grab multispell first. Dipping non-caster classes is a good idea if you can find something better than one of the above redonkulous feats. Otherwise for something like evasion I'd pick up a ring of evasion over losing 2/3 of an epic feat. Or if your reflex save isn't that high skip it.

I've never heard anyone mention epic PrCs from splatbooks. I'd think they must exist somewhere. Or not?

Psyren
2010-11-13, 12:17 PM
Loremaster will fit your role as diviner if you are the party knowledgebase. Otherwise, try and get into Iot7FV or MotAO.

Eldariel
2010-11-13, 12:21 PM
No you can't, not with a sane DM anyway. Or if you can, then just be Pun Pun.

Out of the Epic Level Handbook PrCs the Agent Retriever is the only one with full casting and I dunno if you have the pre-reqs or dex for it, or if you need anything it gives. You may want to stick with epic wizard for the bonus feats. Next what'll matter is your feat selection. Multispell, spell stowaway (with a cooperating ally), and improved metamagic can get ridiculous. Tenacious magic, improved spell capacity, master staff, automatic quicken and the epic metamagic feats are ok.

I've never heard anyone mention epic PrCs from splatbooks. I'd think they must exist somewhere. Or not?

Completes include a section of the Epics of each character type so that may be a place to check. I don't remember any worthwhile epic PrCs there though. But yeah, Planar Descryer is ok if you plan on using Gate heavily, which is certainly a respectable option. Ultimately though, I'd just go Epic Incantatrix (DMG states every PRC with 10 levels has an epic progression and if it's not spelled out, you are to work it out with your DM). Obviously Epic Spellcasting is the feat of choice if it's allowed; make it work.

Fast time progression planes, spells replicating just about anything; I can't imagine raising wealth being a real problem. Other than that, yeah, Multispell and Improved Spell Capacity are the best options. Improved Spell Capacity is better than Auto-Quicken mostly since the higher level slots are more versatile, and Multispell is obviously awesome. Extra spells are extra spells, after all.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-13, 01:03 PM
Yes you can. Chain Gate Solars or Efreets. Have them use their Wish SLAs to create material wealth for you (up to 25000gp per Wish).
DM: "Yes, you've called in a Solar. Unfortunately for you, it has Wish only once a day, and that typically gets used up in the first minute of its day. And by the way, a rock falls out of nowhere and smashes all the bones in your right foot." :smallsmile:

anubistheta
2010-11-13, 01:24 PM
There is already an epic progression for Incantrix pg 129, Player's Guide To Faerun.
Basically, 1 more Instant Metamagic per 2 levels and 1 more bonus feat per three levels.

Zapato
2010-11-13, 02:24 PM
Loremaster will fit your role as diviner if you are the party knowledgebase. Otherwise, try and get into Iot7FV or MotAO.

Question from someone who hardly ever plays a caster: What are Iot7FV and MotAO?

Radar
2010-11-13, 02:40 PM
Question from someone who hardly ever plays a caster: What are Iot7FV and MotAO?
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil and Mage of the Arcane Order respectively.
The first gives you a bunch of spell-like abilities connected with Prismatic Sphere and is generaly considered as one of the most overpowered arcane PrCs.

The latter gives you the ability to tap into a collective pool of spells of the Arcane Order (a magic guild of sort) giving you additional versatility. Usualy more useful for Sorcerers as it gives them access to spells outside of their spells known list.

Godskook
2010-11-13, 02:54 PM

Initiate of the 7 fold veil

Mage of the Arcane Order

First is borderline abusive, to the point where things about are mentioned in the ToS ban list(I forget what). Second is a less borken but still great prestige class, but moreso one for sorcerers.

------------

Personally, I think that an epic caster's goals are:

Improved Metamagicx3 or x5 - This way, all your lovely, lovely metamagic works without costing spell slots.

Improved Spell capacity - Cause more spell slots are awesome

Metamagic - Yeah, especially once you have a good number of both of the above, grabbing metamagics is the order of the day.

Psyren
2010-11-13, 02:55 PM
IotFV is powerful, but I wouldn't call it overpowered. It has supreme defensive ability, but that just keeps you (and your party) alive longer; the spotlight can still go to someone else in the group.

MotAO is particularly useful here, however. Even if you can't research your own epic spells, epic MotAO can call epic spells from the Spellpool. (CArc pg. 190.) You also learn two new spells each level if you're a wizard, and gain bonus feats/a bonus language every 4 levels.