PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ruby Knight Vindicator advices?

Dorna
2010-11-13, 02:19 PM
Hi!
I tried to build a RKV and thats what I got (Maybe you can help me to improve it furthermore :smallsmile: )
The first intention was to build a character with lots of social skills / knowledge - but that changed a bit. It's not the main goal of the char anymore but not really unimportant.
So I chose a
Cloistered Cleric of Kelemvor (3) with Travel and Law Devotion, Knowledge Domain
Church Inquisitor (1) changing Inquisition Domain for Knowledge Devotion
Crusader (1)
RKV (5)

Extra Turning, Imp Initiative, Power Atack, Quicken Spell, DMM: Quicken

I thought about fighting with a +1 Devoted Spirit Bastard Word (8335 gp) while wearing a +1 Animated Steel Shield (9170 gb) and a +2 called Full Plate (7650 gp)

Rolled stats at level 1 are 16/15/14/14/12/8.
Thought about:
17 (16+1) Str
8 Dex
14 Con
14 Int
16 (15+1) Wis
12 Cha

We'll start at level 10. So I got something around 49000gp to spend.

I appreciate any suggestions :)

Eldariel
2010-11-13, 02:49 PM
16 Wis, 15 Str; put all level-ups in Wis. That should ultimately serve you better. You can reasonably buff your Strength to the stratosphere with magic, so that's not that big a deal.

Also, Greatsword is just plain better than Bastard Sword, not to mention more stylish (favored weapons don't really matter what comes to school enhancements and such unless you use Blade Meditation); I suggest switching that one around.

ToB gives you plenty of uses for your Swift Actions, so I'd probably just go DMM: Persist route. Also, higher than +1 armor enhancement is a waste for you since you have Magic Vestment. Consider Practiced Spellcaster to make up for the lost caster levels.

Holy Warrior reserve feat [Complete Champion] is also nice. Consider one of those.

Urpriest
2010-11-13, 02:59 PM
ToB gives you plenty of uses for your Swift Actions, so I'd probably just go DMM: Persist route.

Remember, RKVs have extra swift actions. I imagine DMM:Quicken is there to exploit that.

Dorna
2010-11-13, 03:13 PM
Remember, RKVs have extra swift actions. I imagine DMM:Quicken is there to exploit that.

I don't like DMM: Persist. Buying a bunch of Nightsticks and buff yourself through the ceiling is way more cheesy, isn't it? And limiting the Divine impetus to 1/round doesn't look to hard for me. Correct me if i'm wrong

AslanCross
2010-11-13, 04:58 PM
Also, Greatsword is just plain better than Bastard Sword, not to mention more stylish (favored weapons don't really matter what comes to school enhancements and such unless you use Blade Meditation); I suggest switching that one around.

I think he's using the bastard sword since it's his deity's favored weapon.

Dorna
2010-11-14, 04:53 AM
I think he's using the bastard sword since it's his deity's favored weapon.

That's the point. A bit of flair should remain ;)

TroubleBrewing
2010-11-14, 06:04 AM
I don't like DMM: Persist. Buying a bunch of Nightsticks and buff yourself through the ceiling is way more cheesy, isn't it?

That's the point. A bit of flair should remain ;)

I don't disagree with either of these statements. Eldariel's point, however, is that choosing DMM: Persist and using a greatsword are mechanically superior choices. If he wants to make these choices just as "flavorful", he can.

Also, the OP's request was for help mechanically improving his character. The suggestion to keep his choices as they were and not change anything is contrary to his request.

Dorna
2010-11-14, 06:17 AM
The suggestion to keep his choices as they were and not change anything is contrary to his request.

I have to admit: Thats true, somehow :smallbiggrin:
Ok. I'll rethink the choice of the weapon. But Persistent ist noch really an option. I like to be a bit more spontaneous than just using all my turn attempts to persists devine power every day.
But what do you think of the other feats? The chosen Devotion-Feats? The Equipment?
The Persist-Thing is nearly the only thing I exclude

Eldariel
2010-11-14, 08:20 AM
The Devotions are excellent. But if not going DMM: Persist, I wouldn't bother with DMM at all; simply you'll need a lot of Turn Attempts for your RKV abilities so it seems kinda overkillish unless you literally have near-infinite supply. E.g. Divine Spell Power is far less Turning-intensive excellent divine feat. Something to consider at any rate.

Urpriest
2010-11-14, 11:02 AM
If you're using the bastard sword two-handed then it's really only marginally worse than a greatsword. Seeing as you don't have a huge number of attacks, the loss of less than two damage per hit is not going to be a game-breaker.

Sila Prirode
2010-11-14, 11:27 AM
I thought about fighting with a +1 Devoted Spirit Bastard Word (8335 gp) )

Bastard Word is better then both Greatsword and Bastard Sword, in my opinion :smalltongue:

Dorna
2010-11-14, 12:52 PM
Bastard Word is better then both Greatsword and Bastard Sword, in my opinion :smalltongue:

It's perfect for tanking! Most enemies react total agressive when calling them Bastards...