View Full Version : Tower of Deadly Evil Exhibition - Jarian vs candycorn

Jarian
2010-11-13, 10:31 PM
Map preference? Buff rounds?

candycorn
2010-11-13, 10:39 PM
No map preference.

Buff round preference: None.

Long term buffs (18+ hours) can begin the fight on, as well as at will buffs (that can be refreshed at need).

Jarian
2010-11-13, 10:55 PM
Will this work?

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/ArenaManager/Arenas/08-kyaces_glass_arena.png

No buff rounds is okay with me.

Initiative: [roll0] Edit: Failed to account for Belt of Battle, total result: 20

Observers:Nidra is currently possessing the kusari-gama, granting the Eager, Warning, and Defending properties, along with a +3 bonus to its enhancement. Total of a +4 untyped bonus to AC reallocated at the start of each round throughout the day.

candycorn
2010-11-13, 11:09 PM
Init:[roll0] (include bonus for slippers of battledancing)

Observers:Betty is wielding the shield and the Flail, and is currently not manifested. As such, vision to the material plane is limited to 60 feet.

All gear is equipped and ready for use.

Starting in Red.

Not visible without special vision modes. (not manifested)

Current vision modes: Darkvision, Low Light Vision, Lifesense

Edit: May get a belt of battle later, I think I can squeeze around finances for one.

Jarian
2010-11-13, 11:20 PM
Observers (Open if you can see Adison's starting location despite being on the ethereal plane):Adison does something - it's not quite a spell, but it's close - and a shimmering field of force surrounds her briefly before fading away. She begins blinking between the material and the ethereal.

Spellcraft DC 22:Superior Blinkplate.

Adison blinks into view on the Ethereal briefly, in Y-13. Can she see you?

candycorn
2010-11-13, 11:25 PM
Yes. Currently in B13.

Jarian
2010-11-13, 11:55 PM
Observers:Nidra adjusts the granted bonuses to Undeadbane and +4.

Adison charges forward. Slightly more than halfway to you (M-13) she draws a dagger of force out of the air, then disappears and reappears above you, plunging the dagger toward you.

Charge + Pounce.

Attack 1

Spellcraft DC 17:Blink Dagger.

Attack modifier breakdown: 16 BAB, +2 charge, +11 Confident Strike, +11 charisma (incantations use charisma over strength or dex for attack rolls), +2 enhancement bonus, +1 higher ground

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] force damage

The dagger disappears, and the chain wrapped about Adison's wrist lashes toward you twice in rapid succession, seemingly of its own volition.

Attack: [roll2] (Assumes +2 bonus for Undeadbane, subtract 2 if not undead)
Damage: [roll3] + [roll4] if undead.

Attack: [roll5] (Assumes +2 bonus for Undeadbane, subtract 2 if not undead)
Damage: [roll6] + [roll7] if undead.

If these attacks are not avoided in some way:Adison iterative 2:

Spellcraft DC 22:Blade of Fate

Adison conjures a gleaming crystal sword and slashes toward you with it. At the last second, the blade shatters into a thousand pieces.

Attack: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9] force damage.

The chain about her wrist lashes toward you twice more.

Attack: [roll10] (Assumes +2 bonus for Undeadbane, subtract 2 if not undead)
Damage: [roll11] + [roll12] if undead.

Attack: [roll13] (Assumes +2 bonus for Undeadbane, subtract 2 if not undead)
Damage: [roll14] + [roll15] if undead.

Turn not complete. What are the results of the attacks?

candycorn
2010-11-14, 08:37 AM
Question:

Charge

Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action. However, it carries tight restrictions on how you can move.

Movement During a Charge

You must move before your attack, not after. You must move at least 10 feet (2 squares) and may move up to double your speed directly toward the designated opponent.

You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles). Here’s what it means to have a clear path. First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. (If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.) Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge. (Helpless creatures don’t stop a charge.)

If you don’t have line of sight to the opponent at the start of your turn, you can’t charge that opponent.

You can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round as a charge.

Do you have a means to bypass the bolded text? If not, and you didn't have LOS to me at the very beginning of your turn, then the charge action isn't legal, and will need to be altered.

EDIT: Oh, and thank you for linking Proud Warrior. After looking at it, I've built Mk 2 of Betty... And she's a marked improvement.

Jarian
2010-11-14, 02:49 PM
Interesting little hiccup in the rules. I'm pretty sure that's not RAI for a situation like this, but I obviously have no ground to stand on.

I'll settle for... something else. Adison blinks back to the material plane briefly. When she returns to the ethereal, she's surrounded by four longswords spinning about her body in a rapid orbit.

Observers:Dance of Blades.

She hasn't moved from her starting location.

candycorn
2010-11-14, 03:39 PM
Well, the rules, I believe, are pretty clear. There aren't many situations in core where you could gain LOS partway through a turn and still have a full action left. I believe in 3.0, haste was one such method, where someone could enter LOS. Another could have been a contingent spell, or another character with a readied action. All seem to cover a similar situation; namely, gaining awareness to an opponent after you've committed, on some level, to action. In such situations, the rules seem to intend that charging be limited. You have to know your foe, know where he is, use a full round action, and have a clear running line. They built charges to be fragile, and easily stopped by someone who knows how. That seems to be the intent.

My Turn?

If so: Betty readies an action.

Observers only:Use divine shield (and take a 5 foot step), if opponent is ever detected at a distance less than 10 feet, makes an attack, leaves my LOS, or attempts to end turn.

That will be all.

Jarian
2010-11-14, 03:48 PM
My point was that I don't think they intended for someone to jump across planes as a swift action, have a straight line to her opponent, and still have a full-round action remaining. I'm not going to argue it in a pvp match though, since RAW makes it very clear that it's not possible.

Adison repeats her previous actions from the round before, charging and then blinking out halfway through, only to reappear above you. Did you want me to reroll, assuming everything is identical?

candycorn
2010-11-14, 04:48 PM
Above me isn't possible. Charge requires you go to the closest square from which you could attack me.

However, the specific location is irrelevant, as you trigger my ready action. Activate a standard action supernatural ability, and take a 5 foot step into the floor and away from you. (gaining total concealment).

Jarian
2010-11-14, 04:51 PM
Normally, yes. However, my first attack is a teleportation effect that allows me to choose a space adjacent to you. It's a part of the attack, not something happening before I make the attack.

Blink Dagger. (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Blink_Dagger)

candycorn
2010-11-14, 04:53 PM
Normally, yes. However, my first attack is a teleportation effect that allows me to choose a space adjacent to you. It's a part of the attack, not something happening before I make the attack.

Blink Dagger. (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Blink_Dagger)

In that case, you cannot take it as part of the movement. Charge requires you move to the closest square you can attack from, THEN attack. If it's part of the attack, then you must first complete the movement in a legal fashion before you may make the attack.

EDIT: Actually, I thought of an interpretation that lets you. No matter, I can 5 foot step into the floor straight down.

Jarian
2010-11-14, 04:57 PM
That's... not how a Swordmage works.

I did attack you from the closest space available, the attack being Blink Dagger. As part of the attack, the Swordmage teleports into range. That's how the incantation works.

If you intend to disagree with this, then we need to reach an understanding before continuing this match. A Swordmage is not a typical melee fighter, and it has a variety of out of the box tricks.

candycorn
2010-11-14, 05:03 PM
Actually, I thought of an interpretation that lets you. No matter, I can 5 foot step into the floor straight down. Yay ethereal.

REady action triggers when you appear within 10 feet of me. I activate a standard action Su power, and then 5 foot step down into the floor, gaining total concealment.

Jarian
2010-11-14, 05:10 PM
...very well. I'll be here when you're ready to fight. :smalltongue:

Adison blinks back to the Material.

Observers:Attack 2: Tempest Attrition.

Swift: Dancing Guards.

Turn complete. Let me know if you would be able to see Adison at some point, because there are a few differences between now and when you last saw her.

Edit, observers:Nidra manifests Psionic True Seeing

I also have True Seeing out to 60 feet now, if it becomes relevant.

candycorn
2010-11-14, 05:11 PM
My turn: Free action manifest, 5 foot step back into my original square. Where are you?

Jarian
2010-11-14, 05:12 PM
Standing on the ground in your original square, actually.

There are two ghostly rapiers floating about Adison now, and she holds another rapier of force at the ready in one hand, having assumed a defensive posture.

candycorn
2010-11-14, 05:18 PM
Then I would sense your presence, per incorporeal rules for being inside objects. Step into C13 instead.

Free action Supernatural ability.

Smite Attack: [roll0]
If Hit: [roll1] ignoring any and all miss chances.

Smite Attack 2: [roll2]
If hit: [roll3] ignoring any and all miss chances.

Smite Attack 3: [roll4]
If hit: [roll5] ignoring any and all miss chances.

EDIT:
Attack Breakdown: +15 BAB, +8 Str, +22 Charisma (smite), +1 Weapon Focus
Damage Breakdown: 1d6+8 (str) +1(enhancement) +22 (Divine Might) +14 (smite good)

Add +14 to the damage of each attack which hits.

Jarian
2010-11-14, 05:22 PM
The three rapiers flourish about faster than the eye can follow, attempting to turn aside the attacks.

Attack 1:

TA parry attack 1: [roll0]

DG parry 1: [roll1]
DG parry 2: [roll2]

Use above only if TA parry failed.

Attack 2:

TA parry attack 2: [roll3]

DG parry 1: [roll4]
DG parry 2: [roll5]

Attack 3:

TA parry attack 3: [roll6]

DG parry 1: [roll7]
DG parry 2: [roll8]

Please hold...

Jarian
2010-11-14, 05:24 PM
Adison manages to turn aside two of the attacks herself, each time lashing out with a swift counterattack of her own. The last very nearly reaches her, but the two dancing rapiers meet the attack at the last moment, turning it aside to no effect.

Counterattack 1: [roll0] for [roll1] force damage.

Counterattack 2: [roll2] for [roll3] force damage.

candycorn
2010-11-14, 05:28 PM
Both attacks miss.

Jarian
2010-11-14, 05:34 PM
Well, those were counterattacks made on your turn, so the ball's still in your court.

candycorn
2010-11-14, 05:34 PM
I'm done. Go ahead.

Jarian
2010-11-14, 05:57 PM
The rapier in her hand disappears as Adison's turn begins. The two floating about stick around, though they seem slightly sluggish compared to a moment ago.

Adison blinks to the ethereal.

The four longswords whirling about her attack you once each.

[roll0] for [roll1] force + [roll2] fire damage.
[roll3] for [roll4] force + [roll5] acid damage.
[roll6] for [roll7] force + [roll8] cold damage.
[roll9] for [roll10] force + [roll11] electric damage.

Future attacks spoilered for length:Adison iterative 1:

Adison draws a greatsword of the clearest crystal from out of nothing, then slashes toward you with it. At the last instant, it bursts into a thousand reflective shards.

[roll12] for [roll13] force damage.

The chain about her wrist lashes toward you twice in rapid succession.

[roll14] for [roll15] slashing, plus [roll16] if undead.

[roll17] for [roll18] slashing, plus [roll19] if undead.

Adison iterative 2:The falling shards reverse direction, clustering around Adison's fists and forming spikes over her knuckles. She jabs toward you once with each fist, and then the crystals fall back to the ground.

Spiked gauntlet 1: [roll20] for [roll21] force damage.
Spiked gauntlet 2: [roll22] for [roll23] force damage.

As you're undead, you're immune to the secondary effect of this attack.

The chain about Adison's wrist continues its attacks:

[roll24] for [roll25] slashing, plus [roll26] if undead.

[roll27] for [roll28] slashing, plus [roll29] if undead.

Not quite done, need to know the results of those attacks.

candycorn
2010-11-14, 06:02 PM
First: Please announce action types.

When we're dealing with 3 sets of iteratives, I'd like to verify that all the actions are... Kosher, shall we say?

Second: On ethereal, my current AC is 58, if deflection doesn't count, and 90 if it does.

10(base)+30(shield w/divine shield) +7(Dex) +1(size) +10(Natural Armor)

Jarian
2010-11-14, 06:07 PM
Longsword attacks are automatic, requiring no action to perform.

The "iterative" breakdown that you see is the first attack, and the second attack, in a full attack sequence.

candycorn
2010-11-14, 06:08 PM
So every attack you make gives you 2 free attacks?

Jarian
2010-11-14, 06:20 PM
Essentially, yes. Greater Storm of Steel from the Proud Warrior is funny that way.

However, the attacks can only be basic attacks, not Incantations, which limits its usefulness to small pokes for this character.

Jarian
2010-11-14, 06:31 PM
So the first longsword, the greatsword, and the second chain attack connected, correct?

candycorn
2010-11-14, 06:34 PM
Nice!

Attack 1 hit for 21 damage
The greatsword hit for 29 damage.
The 2nd chain hit for 18 damage.

Jarian
2010-11-14, 06:47 PM
Attack 3:

Adison brings her hands together, then pulls one free as if drawing a sword - and a blade of liquid fire appears in her grasp. She swings in your general direction, and a wave of heat washes over you.

[roll0] fire damage, reflex half.

Chain attacks:

[roll1] for [roll2] + [roll3]
[roll4] for [roll5] + [roll6]

Attack 4:

With a quick flick of her wrist, Adison conjures a rapier of force and assumes a defensive stance. The chain wrapped around her wrist disappears into a thin grey mist.

Turn complete.

candycorn
2010-11-14, 06:48 PM
Reflex Negates (Evasion): [roll0]

EDIT: I wasn't given a DC. Please provide pass/fail on that.

Jarian
2010-11-14, 06:55 PM
Oh, sorry. DC 24. Passed by a mile.

candycorn
2010-11-14, 08:16 PM
Start of turn. Many wounds close up.

Free: Activate supernatural ability.

Move: down into the floor at C13, then over to B13. You get an AoO for me leaving C13.

After that:Smite Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

This attack ignores all miss chances, including the miss chance I would normally have for total concealment (Awesome Smite Tactical ability).

Attack Breakdown: +15 BAB, +1 weapon focus, +22 Charisma (Slippers of Battledancing), +22 Charisma (Smite Good) +1 (Size) -1 (Power attack)

Damage Breakdown: +1 (enhancement) +22 Charisma (Slippers of battledancing, +22 Charisma (Divine Might), +14 (Smite) +1 (power Attack)

Done.

Jarian
2010-11-14, 08:31 PM
AoO with +8 Undeadbane rapier: [roll0] (assuming I am above you when you provoke - if not, subtract 1)

Damage: [roll1] force + [roll2]

Adison does not even bother trying to parry the blow this time, instead bringing her arms tight around her body as if giving herself a hug. A pair of enormous, transparent wings with daggers of force for feathers closes around her, stopping the attack dead. The wings dissipate into nothingness an instant later.

(Immediate action incantation.)

Does that change anything in your turn?

candycorn
2010-11-14, 09:22 PM
Hm. I don't see anything in the incantations that acts as Wings of Cover. Ah well, no changes.

Jarian
2010-11-14, 10:10 PM
Daggerwing. (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Daggerwing)

I'll take my turn soonish.

Jarian
2010-11-14, 11:10 PM
Adison stops blinking between the planes. The chain reforms around her wrist as the rapier of force disappears.

Adison twitches her fingers ever so slightly, and immediately begins hovering a few inches off the ground. She ascends skyward a few feet, then readies herself to take further action.

(Swift: Activate Incantation. 5-ft step "up". Ready action.)

Edit: Don't have a swift action this turn, revising.

Turn complete.

Observers:Nidra establishes a mindlink with Adison, since I forgot to do that earlier.

Adison readies an action to attack with Ruby Prison when either she or Nidra sees candy's character.

Jarian
2010-11-14, 11:36 PM
Adison tumbles away to G-13, then strikes the ground there with an enormous hammer. She falls skyward and collides with the ceiling, then rights herself and stands there, upside down.

Auto-pass tumble to avoid provoking for movement.

Turn complete.

Edit: Adison stops blinking, as above.

Observers:Graviton Hammer on G-13/H-14.

Auto-pass tumble check to avoid taking damage from the 15 foot fall.

candycorn
2010-11-15, 03:11 PM
You have total concealment to me anyway, so there's no AoO. :P Still, I guess that being in the habit is a good thing.

Move: up to B13 (outside of ground), then to G13, ground level. Wounds are almost gone.

Free: use a supernatural ability.

Ready an action: (observers only):Smite opponent if I threaten.

Jarian
2010-11-15, 03:19 PM
I never take chances with opponents that can take away half my hitpoints with one attack. :smalltongue:

Adison activates an incantation as a swift action, then concentrates hard for a few seconds.

Your turn.

Observers:Sever Gravity, recover maneuvers

candycorn
2010-11-15, 09:31 PM
I have fully healed.

Move up to G13 +15, directly below you (and adjacent).
Free action: activate a supernatural ability

Smite Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
This attack avoids all miss chances.

Also, while you have LOS to me, within 30 feet, you must make a save every round (Fort DC 32) or take 2d10 damage and 1d4 Charisma damage. (Corrupting Gaze special ability, which follows the rules for Gaze attacks.)

Jarian
2010-11-16, 01:17 AM
My actions depend on your interpretation (or superior rules knowledge) on a subject.

Does blindsight work against incorporeal creatures? I know it doesn't work against ethereal creatures, but I'm not sure about manifested ghosts.

Jarian
2010-11-16, 01:25 AM
Well, it doesn't matter quite as much as I thought.

Adison takes the hit on the chin.

Start of turn, fort, can only fail on a 1: [roll0]

Edit: For clarity, I'm still looking for your input before I take my turn.

candycorn
2010-11-16, 02:05 AM
I'd say it depends on the nature of the Blindsight.

Such sense may include sensitivity to vibrations, acute scent, keen hearing, or echolocation...

Deafening attacks thwart blindsight if it relies on hearing.

Lack of a corporeal body, inability to affect solid objects, and being completely inaudible would thwart most of the above methods. Scent is a bit more thorny (again, no scent with no body, but any common knowledge of supernatural creatures such as ghosts and such usually shows animals able to sense their presence), but if the blindsight or blindsense is based on vibrations, hearing, or echolocation, I'd be disinclined to think it would.

Arguments could be made to Blindsight not excluding incorporeal creatures, but the reverse side of it is that it does absolutely exclude ethereal creatures (which a manifested ghost still is). I don't think this is RAI, and wouldn't ever try to actually argue it, but by those strictures, an ethereal creature would be undetectable by blindsight, even if that creature were also somehow also fully on the material plane (such as a force effect, or a creature comprised of force). -Note: This paragraph does not reflect my opinion, merely my tendency to play Devil's Advocate.

In the end, Blindsight tends to depend greatly on the method that it uses to get the information. For that reason, the ability description would be needed, including possibly the flavor text, to determine what senses the creature uses to gain the ability. There is solid evidence to show that blindsight/blindsense can have their effectiveness reduced or thwarted by limiting the senses, but which senses it requires is the issue.

EDIT: For reference, did you take the full 61 damage, or was it lessened (by DR, for example)?

Jarian
2010-11-16, 02:07 AM
That's what I thought too. Unfortunately, the source doesn't specify what the Blindsight is, exactly.

(For the record, it's Adison's Blindfold of True Darkness.)

Adison got smacked full in the face for 61 damage.

candycorn
2010-11-16, 02:11 AM
In that case, I'd say that the source is Magic, and that yes, it would continue to work.

Jarian
2010-11-16, 02:24 AM
Most of Adison's wounds heal over a moment after she receives them, bruised and broken skin restored almost entirely to its unearthly grace and beauty.

A shimmering field of force surrounds Adison briefly, and she blinks to the ethereal.

The longswords attack you once each as they whiz around Adison in a blur of force-distortions and dripping elements.

[roll0] for [roll1] force, plus [roll2] fire damage.
[roll3] for [roll4] force, plus [roll5] acid damage.
[roll6] for [roll7] force, plus [roll8] cold damage.
[roll9] for [roll10] force, plus [roll11] electric damage.

Adison conjures a greatsword of the clearest crystal and attacks you with it, but it shatters a heartbeat before it can reach you.

[roll12] for [roll13] force damage.

The chain about her wrist lashes out toward you twice in rapid succession.

[roll14] for [roll15] slashing, plus [roll16] untyped

[roll17] for [roll18] slashing, plus [roll19] untyped

The crystals reverse direction, coalescing around Adison's fists. She strikes out once with each, then lets the crystals fall away.

[roll20] for [roll21]
[roll22] for [roll23]

Chain attacks:

[roll24] for [roll25] slashing, plus [roll26] untyped

[roll27] for [roll28] slashing, plus [roll29] untyped

Adison whirls in place, empty-handed. In the time it takes her to spin, she's drawn a spear of force out of nothing, and is already plunging it toward you.

[roll30] for [roll31] force, ignores all DR, miss chances, cover, etc.

Chain attacks:

[roll32] for [roll33] slashing, plus [roll34] untyped

[roll35] for [roll36] slashing, plus [roll37] untyped

With an adroit aerial backflip, Adison puts some distance between herself and you, then assumes a fencing stance as, with a flick of her wrist, she conjures a rapier of force. The chain dissipates into a thin grey mist.

(Adison 5-fted "up")

Turn complete.

Observers:Nidra manifests without display Mend Wounds on Adison. Adison activates Superior Blinkplate.

Edit: Fixed muh spellingz.

Edit2: Attacks did not account for higher ground. Add 1 to each of them.

candycorn
2010-11-16, 02:36 AM
3 attacks hit (64 total damage, the greatsword, the spear, and 1 chain attack.)

Are all of the items considered magical?

Jarian
2010-11-16, 02:37 AM
Yes, they have a minimum of a +2 enhancement bonus, maximum of a +5 +7 bonus. Does that change anything?

candycorn
2010-11-16, 02:45 AM
Nope, just wanted to see if any DR applied. It doesn't.

Jarian
2010-11-16, 01:38 PM
Just in case you missed it, my turn's done.

If you were just waiting to take your actions, ignore me.