PDA

View Full Version : Antimagic Item?

Road_Runner
2010-11-13, 11:21 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for an item that can more or less duplicate the effects of an antimagic field (aka, nobody can affect you with magic). I'm aware of the cube of force in the DMG, but I really don't need all those options and this is for a high-level campaign so charge draining based on damage isn't really good for me.

Any suggestions?

Eldariel
2010-11-13, 11:34 PM
Antimagic Torc [Underdark] can generate an actual AMF around you. Mind you, unless you're a spellcaster who can cast spells under AMFs, that can make life extremely difficult for you. And if you are one, you probably don't need the AMF.

Road_Runner
2010-11-14, 12:21 AM
Antimagic Torc [Underdark] can generate an actual AMF around you. Mind you, unless you're a spellcaster who can cast spells under AMFs, that can make life extremely difficult for you. And if you are one, you probably don't need the AMF.

Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for! That one is fine, but is there an item that has one permanently? (its not really a big deal).

Also, can trueseeing pierce an antimagic field to see something invisible inside? (assuming that the invisibility is non-magical).

Welknair
2010-11-14, 01:03 AM
Non-magical invisibility? Are we talking a Ninja ability?

The only way to do that as far as I know is have it as a supernatural instead of a spell---- Wait, does AMF block supernatural abilities? I forget. :smallconfused:

Road_Runner
2010-11-14, 01:16 AM
Non-magical invisibility? Are we talking a Ninja ability?

The only way to do that as far as I know is have it as a supernatural instead of a spell---- Wait, does AMF block supernatural abilities? I forget. :smallconfused:

Yeah, supernatural abilities don't function in an AMF. It's actually the Recitation of Untouched Snow in Kellus's homebrew fix of the truenamer (you can find it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4915339)). In any case, its an extraordinary ability, and therefore isn't affected by an antimagic field.

Anyway, if anyone knows if trueseeing (and similar spells/SLAs/supernatural abilities) allow you to see invisibility in an AMF I'd be very interested in knowing. :smallsmile:

Evincar
2010-11-14, 04:28 AM
I'm also DMing a high(er) level campaign (level 11 now), and it happens that I also have a Truenamer from Kellus' homebrew in the party.

I just realized something last week. If the item does not exist: it does now. You are the DM. As long as you think it is balanced and you can handle (or prevent) the item ultimately being in the PC's possession, the fluff is more important than the rules.

Or at least, that's what I think.

Zen Master
2010-11-14, 05:48 AM
"I will enchant this magic item with anti-magic - that's totally gonna work, and is in no way self-contradictory!"

Heh =)

Road_Runner
2010-11-14, 12:57 PM
I'm also DMing a high(er) level campaign (level 11 now), and it happens that I also have a Truenamer from Kellus' homebrew in the party.

I just realized something last week. If the item does not exist: it does now. You are the DM. As long as you think it is balanced and you can handle (or prevent) the item ultimately being in the PC's possession, the fluff is more important than the rules.

Or at least, that's what I think.

I'm actually not the DM....

And if anyone knows if trueseeing can penetrate an antimagic field its really important....

the clumsy bard
2010-11-14, 01:13 PM
from the srd d20

An antimagic field suppresses any spell or magical effect used within, brought into, or cast into the area, but does not dispel it. Time spent within an antimagic field counts against the suppressed spell’s duration.

So no its an effect brought into an area.

The_Scourge
2010-11-14, 02:34 PM
I had a character based entirely around this. You can create a custom magic item that has a constant antimagic field (that can be turned on and off to allow for healing) for 135 000 (pg285 of the dmg table7-33)