PDA

View Full Version : Resolution issues with my PS3.

Moonshadow
2010-11-14, 03:20 AM
Okay, so I'm having issues with a few games on my PS3. They're basically unplayable for me because the text is so freaking small that I have to squint to read it, which just makes my already bad eyes worst. I'm at my wits end trying to figure out the solution to this. I don't know if it's my TV, or my video cords, or the settings, or what, but it's driving me absolutely bonkers.

My current display settings are;

Component/ D-Terminal, running on the Standard(PAL) setting (because nothing else works), at 4:3 resolution. Nothing else will work, anything else I try gives me a black screen.

From my limited understanding, the other resolution settings (579p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) aren't working because of my TV, though, for all I know, it could be that I'm using the old 3 color video/audio cord as opposed to a HDMI cord or something.

Any help would be really, really appreciated.

Brother Oni
2010-11-14, 06:53 PM
Component/ D-Terminal, running on the Standard(PAL) setting (because nothing else works), at 4:3 resolution. Nothing else will work, anything else I try gives me a black screen.

From my limited understanding, the other resolution settings (579p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) aren't working because of my TV, though, for all I know, it could be that I'm using the old 3 color video/audio cord as opposed to a HDMI cord or something.

We need a bit more information:

Is your TV capable of handling HD inputs? Does it have any other sockets apart from Scart or Yellow/White/Red AV inputs?

Assuming that your TV has a HDMI or DVI input, then you need a suitable cable from your PS3 to TV (either HDMI or DVI+audio phono) to get the better resolutions. The old 3-cord won't cut it anymore I'm afraid.

If your TV doesn't have any other inputs, then you either need to buy a better TV, or plug it into your computer monitor (they do PS3 AV to VGA) and sort out an option for the sound.
A word of warning, unless your speakers or stereo have phono inputs, you'll need a stereo phono to 3.5mm adaptor and possibly a 3.5mm Stereo Jack coupler, and if your speakers don't have built in volume control, you'll need some sort of volume controller between the speakers and PS3, otherwise the sound will be at full blast all the time.

Edit: If you're unsure of what to look for, just list the model and make of your TV and I'll see what I can do.

tyckspoon
2010-11-14, 07:06 PM
Your basic problem is that you're running images optimized for HD viewing on a standard-definition setting. Most of the stuff scales back down tolerably well.. text doesn't. If your TV has no proper HD-compliant input option (any computer-capable port, HDMI, even the RGB-component RCA cables will do 720p) then you will need to find some other screen to use with the console. If it does, you'll need to get the proper adapter/cables to run your PS3 into them and use that. If, to the best of your knowledge, you already are using an HD-capable connection, it's likely a settings issue and will need more information to resolve. As much information as you can give us about everything involved, from the cables in use to the settings on both the PS3 and the television.. (..D-terminal? Had to Google that one.. you guys get Japanese-layout stuff?)

Brother Oni
2010-11-14, 07:25 PM
even the RGB-component RCA cables will do 720p

To clarify tyckspoon's point here, he means a component video cable, thus you'd get 5 outputs (Y cable, PB cable, PR cable, Left Audio and Right Audio).

I noted that Naoto Shirogane is from Australia, so their TV systems and hence cables, are probably very close to what we use here in the UK, so the default cable packaged with the PS3 is a composite video one.

Moonshadow
2010-11-15, 05:53 AM
I checked my tv, and it doesn't have a HDMI slot, but at the back it has a few other plugs (labeled Y, CB and CR, I think, + 2 for Audio)

I could plug it into my laptop with a HDMI cable, but my laptop screen is small, so that wouldn't be much good.

Would plugging my normal 3 color cord into the sockets I mentioned above do anything, or do I need a different cable? Or is my best bet just to buy a new tv (which I really can't afford right now =/)?

Brother Oni
2010-11-15, 07:18 AM
You've got a component video input on your TV, thus you should be able to get up to 720p, according to tyckspoon.

You will need a new component video cable from your PS3 to your TV, but that should sort out your problems. Wikipedia article on Component Video (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video). It should be a 5 lead cord, 3 for video, 2 for audio.

The old 3 colour cord is composite video which is different standard entirely.

Moonshadow
2010-11-23, 02:37 AM
Okay... so I bought a component video cord and plugged it in... and now my PS3 will only play in black and white, and I can still only set the display to the lowest resolution, and the screen goes BLARGAK if I try and set it to a higher resolution =/ Does this mean it's my TV?

Brother Oni
2010-11-23, 02:49 AM
It sounds like to me like you've hit the age old NTSC/PAL issue, but you could play it normally on a composite signal, which confuses me.

Is there an option in your TV setup to change the resolution and/or signal type on the AV channel?

Just to double check, your PS3 is a PAL one right? Can your TV handle other signal types, or is it PAL only?

Moonshadow
2010-11-23, 05:02 AM
I don't know what my TV is, but it doesn't matter as of right now, because it just blew up on me @_@

My PS3 is a PAL one though, unless I got really screwed over at the EB Games I bought it from.

Brother Oni
2010-11-23, 07:18 AM
Ouch, sorry mate. Did the fuse go, or did it go up in bright sparks?

At least on the bright side, you can (eventually) get yourself a proper TV that will definitely support a composite signal.

Make sure you get one that can support PAL 60 though (most new TVs will support this), as more and more games are shifting to this standard.