PDA

View Full Version : First IRL Campaign journal

Godskook
2010-11-14, 04:04 AM
Ok, figured I'd start writing this game down, in-as-much as it'd help me plot the long and slow demise of my players.the challenges I want the players to face in the future.

Important houserules(in case anyone wanted to know):
1.Each player gets 3 'temp' HD, which amounts to +2 to all saves, +3 BAB, and 3d8 + 3*con hitpoints, maxed.

2.Starting race: Human

3.Generate ability scores as 7+1d6 (I allowed rerolls for the one guy who got less than a total mod of +0)

4.Choice of 8 gems, which each gave some psuedo racial stats, to allow for differences in stats and to make up for the lack of racial choices.

5.Starting level 1

6.Any book, but ToS ban list is used as a pirate-code for what is or isn't allowed.

7.Dead at -Constitution instead of -10, if that's more survivable.

So, first session supposed to start at 7pm. I arrive at ~5pm, and the 'early bird' of the group starts plotting his character out, suggesting various things, such as CW Samurai, Rogue, and Fighter. I offer Factotum and Warblade as suggestions for him, and strongly discourage CW Samurai. I spend time dealing with the nervousness of this being my first session DM-ing ever, playing pinball and grabbing munchies from the counter. 7pm rolls around, and *NO-ONE* is here.........ugh. But they're all 'on their way', so that's good. Everyone shows up by close to 8ish, and begin plotting characters in earnest. I began to get a better idea for the optimization level of this group(not very), and tried to avoid over-imposing my ideas of "optimization" on them. These were their characters, after all. Over all, the char-gen can be described as "And they kept rolling arcanists", since we wound up with 3 int-based casters in the final party. Probably easier to list, I suppose, but for that I'll need names. Since the party insists on naming the campaign "Its morphin time", I'll call them by ranger names:

Tommy - Warblade (The early bird mentioned above)
Jason - Scout
Zack - Conjurer
Billy - Abjurer
Alpha 5 - Wu-Jen

We finished sheets by 10pm, so I figured we had enough time to start the story and have a combat. The prologue:

You guys are scattered around the local coffee shop(not in the dining area), when large cloaked men(actually trolls) break in and start kidnapping people. Among them is Alpha's girlfriend. Those PCs who first check on friends in the shop notice that people are only suffering defensive wounds. Alpha, who took direct chase after his GF, follows the cloaked men deeper into the old-style shopping plaza, where they jump into a waiting magic portal. As the last cloaked man steps through, a curious scroll and bag appear next to the portal. Alpha picks up the scroll, and it gives him some plot-exposition which can be summed up as a wizard named Dominic Alheera was blackmailed into creating the ritual that brought those men here, their group is called the Heralds of Oblivion, and this message and bag of holding is Dominic's vengence/restitution. The content of the bag includes weapons, armor, a few minor supplies(rope/alchemist fire/trail rations), and finally, 8 gems that were mentioned above in character generation. The group gathers, divides the gems up, and gathers a few supplies, particularly the Warblade's grabbing his katana from his trunk and someone else found vodka.

Well, they now enter the portal, but unanimously agree, despite my subtle hinting, that Alpha does so a full minute earlier, at a dead run. Once through, they see the landscape in front of them as complete dead-lands. Behind, there's forests, but the cloaked men entered the dead-lands, and can still be seen off in the distance, with Alpha making a solid run towards them. Oh, and the group notices large runes in a 50' radius, 20' above their heads. Permanent ones, unrelated to their portal, but neither the time nor the skill to decipher them(didn't stop a player from rolling anyway, but that's a PC for you. I should've nailed them down and lit them on fire.). Anyway, back to Alpha. In front of him, he sees the group splinter, as one cloaked figure stays to fight a giant were-eagle. Were-eagle only gets so far as sundering one of the troll's arms before being killed. This is roughly when Alpha runs up, and essentially demands passage so that he can get to his girlfriend. The troll refuses in a gruff manor, and I rule the banter shaves a round off the otherwise 10-round arrival of the party. We go into initiative, and calculate how far out everyone else is, and everyone but Alpha starts praying that he lives long enough for the party to catch up(He hasn't caught on yet). I forget the round-by-round in here, but basically, he opens with shield and a steel-focus spell(ranged attack, not ranged touch), and proceeds to use mage hand to scoop dirt in the troll's eyes(I ruled it into a level-0 1-round glitterdust effect. Billy proceeds to try and upgrade this ruling into a full-on maiming by poking the troll's eyes, causing them to rupture. I explain I'm not allowing a cantrip to be used to that great of an effect.) This proceeds for several rounds as Alpha maneuvers himself to keep the troll away from his severed arm and the party runs at full speed to attempt to be relevant before he dies. Between it all, I am amazed that Alpha lasted that many rounds at all, but I suppose the 32 HP helped a bit. Dropped in the round immediately prior to the party getting there, allowing the troll exactly one turn. Move action to move to the arm, and move action to pick it up. Since I assume it'd take a move action to reattach, he's standing there with it when Billy and Zach show up(Tommy is in medium armor and Jason stalled a few times to shoot arrows at bad range increments). THey're exactly 65' away, which is exactly too far away for Billy to be useful this round, so he casts shield, expecting he'll need it before the battle's over. Zach, on the other hand, is a conjurer with Abrupt Jaunt, and can barely squeeze into range to slap a grease spell down.........which works miracles, as mister troll falls over. Next round, Jason makes it into range, lights his arrow with vodka and a lighter(I called it a move+swift), and shoots the grease spell. When he rolls a nat-20, I hand him 5d6 as reward for his crit-conflagration. The troll drops, and the party cheers. As the noise dies, he gets back up, and I must placate objections with an ooc "he has regen". Another round of attacks plus a coup de gras, and he's down for good. However, its now 1:01am, and the coffee shop closed a minute ago. We hurriedly grab our stuff and clear out, and in the parking lot, I cliff-hanger them with the wrap-up: As you guys tend to Alpha's wounds and begin to set camp, you see a giant eagle, much like the bird-man you saw earlier, flying towards you. OOC: See you next week, guys!

Godskook
2010-11-21, 08:08 PM
Ok, so it seems that sundays are my first genuinely free day for doing this journal. If you want to laugh right away, scroll down to the bottom for the consolidated quote list.

Anyway, we picked up where we left off, but missing two players(Specifically, Billy the Abjurer and Alpha the half-dead Wu-Jen). I attempt to recap last week's session, and start off with a roleplay with Baneti de Lycan von Adler, the brother of the were-eagle that had died in last week's pre-combat cut-scene. Some initial confusion cause players forgot the cut-scene stuff and thought the troll was the lycan's brother. *SIGH* After that, it went lot smoother, and I gave them 2 potions of cure-light for their trouble. One goes down Alpha's throat, in hopes of a good die roll(a natural 1!). At one point the scout(also the only one with a half-decent charisma or social skill) says to Baneti: "We are the heroes of legend, if you have them". Right, so anyway, they make a deal with Baneti to help haul his brother's body back to the caravan, so that Baneti can get him a proper funeral. Baneti flies ahead to re-capture his bearings, since the caravan is day+ away and on the move.

Meanwhile, the party hears some firework-sounding noise from where they had entered this new world. Deciding it best not to check it out, the party heads in the general direction on foot, and stumbles straight into a small group of bandits, plotting to rob the next caravan that comes roaming through the Scar. The party scout, Jason attempts to get a good listen and close inspection on them, but fails a critical move-silently roll, and the lizardfolk hear him. Switching tactics, he tries to persuade them that he would be of invaluable help, but comes off more insulting and invasive(neither being appreciated by a thief in the midst of planning a crime). Three of the lizardfolk charge him, while the leader searches for possible companions. The party Warblade comes charging in from the other side, but suffers a distinct lack of movement speed since he decided to wear medium armor, and thus has a hard time entering the battle efficiently. All said, the three eventually pulled it together, killing all 4 before anyone died, hopefully learning that their tactical choices were a bit lacking(and I shouldn't have thrown 4 lizardfolk at them while they were missing the Abjurer, sigh).

Deciding that a convenient campsite should be considered a blessing, the party decides to make camp and rendezvous with the caravan in the morning. After a brief pause to figure out what hammocks were, they slept uneventfully through the night. In the morning, Baneti meets them a few hours out, bringing in stretchers and soldiers, rewarding the players with a few gold for their added trouble.

Following this, they spend some time talking to Baneti on their way to the caravan, some more with Garret Thorngage, the caravan's leader, and finally with Bazrid Harkenth, a kintarran runesmith traveling to his dwarven homelands(Or prior homelands?). I don't really remember who tells them what or when, but the party eventually learns some of the general layout in this region, most notably that Kintarra is essentially a prison for a beast of legend(upgraded tarrasque) and that the beast was defeated by a great alliance of heroes(to which my players responded with "I think they already have heroes of legend, and we might get to meet them!") Oh yeah, and Jason gave one of their lighters to Garret as a sign of goodwill. Garret asks if the lighter is magic, and Jason begins explaining technology to the halfling, but is interrupted OoC by Zach, who yells "If someone asks if you are a god: YOU SAY YES!". Oh, good times.

Quote list:

"We are the heroes of legend, if you have them".

"I think they already have heroes of legend, and we might get to meet them."

"If someone asks if you are a god: YOU SAY YES!"

Godskook
2010-12-12, 12:22 AM
Ugh, missed logging a session so now I have to do two at once. Not going to be fun.

Session 3

This began unusually, with Alpha and I finishing a private dream sequence that the other PCs aren't privy to:

So, unconscious, Alpha finds out that his gem is sentient and is also talking to him. They have an extended conversation, mostly about trust issues, since Alpha nearly got himself killed, and the gem-dude emphasized that this would be inconvenient. A long conversation ensues, giving Alpha the only IC reason to mistrust the groups presumed 'benefactor'. I.e., that he had ulterior motives for wanting the gems to be used. This doesn't mean, however that their 'benefactor' bears them anything but good wishes, but he wasn't being purely altruistic, and Alpha knows this now.

Eventually, the gem chooses the name Aqua, and insists that Alpha prove himself in order for them to remain symbiotic. The test? Dungeon crawl. Since poor Alpha didn't take his weapons or spell components to his dreamscape, Aqua was kind enough to provide him with kukri and a single scroll of sleep, before leaving him to survive a fight with 2 small water elementals. Being stubborn, Alpha takes a solid beating before resorting to high-move running away and casting his scroll. Two coup de graces later leaves me wondering why he didn't open with it. The room had two new exits and a high-level window. For now, Alpha goes right, down tunnel A. Tunnel A forks, and after some investigating, Alpha finds that one fork leads to the other side of the window, where he finds some scrolls of obscurring mist. The right fork of Tunnel A leads to a room with 3 water elementals. Alpha moves in, casts obscurring mists right after noticing that there's an alcove with a wand in it. Grabbing the wand and lucky tactics gets him out of the room without harm.

Alpha heads back to try tunnel B, now armed with a wand of Magic Missile. Almost immediately, he finds a tall ledge(DC 15 jump check) with a tower shield on it. He tries in vain to jump up to get it, using his clothing for rope. Eventually, he gives up and continues forward, wisely hoping that the dungeon would soon give something that'd help. Sure enough, a few turns later, he finds a scroll of jump located near a pit to deep to get out of, except for a convenient ladder on this side. He takes the scroll, casts, and goes back for his tower shield. He then proceeds to get incredibly lucky on the jump check to cross the chasm, since the tower shield was weighing him down(and negating his spell).

Finally, a brief fight with Aqua, (tower shield + magic missile made it quick) and now, Aqua and him have reached an new trust.

Most of the rest of the session isn't very clear in my mind in terms of timeline, but none of it really required much. Alpha wakes up a day early, with *TONS* of water soaking him and his bed(they reached town earlier the same day). The group decides save this liquid for later examination.

They talk to a lot of random NPCs, including a group I *had* to improvise for them. That night, in town, they talked to a group of lay-folk, 4 guys, one of whom is a blacksmith. Alpha and Tommy are able to make fast friends among them, at least for now, especially with Thomas the blacksmith, who is playing a far more prominent role in the campaign than I expected from a blacksmith.

(To be continued)

Godskook
2010-12-27, 07:17 PM
Ok, I've been neglecting this, but if I don't skip stuff, I'm going to be bogged down in the back-up.

Day 8(mostly this last session)

Session a week prior has everyone, sans Alpha, passing out and going on dreams to 'talk' to their own gems, much as Alpha did. While they're out, however, bounty hunters find and ambush the camp, which consists of Alpha, and 3 NPCs*. Given that Alpha had no desire to aid Isaiah, the bounty hunters were mostly unopposed, since Isaiah's schtick had been neutralized. Alpha discussed various things with the bounty hunters, who are Gendor Harkenth the Dwarf, Johnny Boone the Human, Nightstalker the Goblin, and Oscara Giles the Hobgoblin. He learns that the group are members of a guild called the Harpers, and when he mentions the organized trolls, they're concerned enough to blow a scroll of sending.

*Isaiah Mustafa, the bard I've been mentioning in various threads, and his 2 brothers.

Prior to the fight, Alpha spent a good hour dragging his friends' unconscious bodies into the amusing position they find themselves in upon waking. They're laid out on the side of a hill, steep enough to require a few sticks to prop Tommy up on his side. Jason is brought in behind and is made to spoon Tommy, with Zack meeting the same fate behind Jason. Such is the plan of a PC who is alone with the unconscious bodies of his friends.

As they wake up, Jason becomes incredibly excited about the mention of the Harpers, and while most everyone except Alpha liked Isaiah, consensus is made to continue on towards the dragon's cave.

Upon re-arrival, they brazenly sneak up towards the cave entrance, finding 5 goblins, 4 dogs, and 2 worgs inside, guarding the entrance. Alpha, being in the front, grabs a wad of dirt and hurls it into the cave, and then bolts behind his friends to prepare for the coming fight. The dogs and worgs make their way out of the cave first, and combat begins. Tommy does the job of party tank well, keeping a solid line of slaughter between himself and the team. Zach bounces around the field, setting up a grease slip when the goblins come out. Jason struggles a bit cause of all the aggro going on, but is able to make his skirmish attacks most of the time. Alpha, having upgraded(downgraded?) from martial to simple weapons, is a more effective clean-up man than in fights in early sessions. About half-way through, we have a new 5th ranger(I'll try to explain if I ever get to the backlog) that I'll call Rocky(keeping with my power ranger theme). He does more/less nothing in this fight, though, preferring to walk casually towards it from his arrival point 150 feet out. Fortunately, they clean up without anybody dropping to negatives, and slaughter almost everyone, save one Worg and the classed goblin, who were both able to run away once wounded. The final goblin was slain in retreat.

The party, having realized that the cave's denizens are far more imposing than they expected, put entering to a vote. Split 3 to 2, they enter anyway, rushing down one of the tunnels. After a while, they pass an apparently unused tunnel, and choose to go down that one instead of the main one they were on. Soon enough, they're in a small room with large pillars. After exploring for a few minutes, an Ochre Jelly attacks, cutting them off from their entrance. With determination, they attack the beast 3 times, resulting in 4 smaller but just as deadly Jellies to deal with. Everyone botches their dungeoneering roll, and everyone forgets about their newly acquired action points too. So nobody knows why the thing splits, just that it does whenever you hit it. Eventually, they decide to start smacking the thing around with their torches, and people start catching on to the bludgeoning = ok idea. Despite all the PCs being quite scared, nobody even drops into the negatives, including the Mustafa Archers.

Session ends the instant the last one dies, without even enough time to heal people.

true_shinken
2010-12-27, 09:55 PM
7+1d6 for scores? At best a 13?!?!?!

Godskook
2010-12-27, 10:24 PM
7+1d6 for scores? At best a 13?!?!?!

1.They got racials to boot. Most of the party started with a 14 or 15

2.I allow point-buy increases mid-game for xp costs, and I'm pretty sure that's in one of these posts. Huh, I guess I didn't. The PCs have all known about it since day 1.

3.While they're level 1-3, they get bonus HP/BAB/Saves that keeps them more buffed through the low levels, allowing them to live long enough to earn the xp to fix their point-buy.