PDA

View Full Version : Random Dreamscape Ecounters

Cowboy_ninja
2010-11-14, 02:20 PM
I'm running a small 2-3 session dungeon. I have the story/plot, hook, and final battle. However, I don't have any small encounters/challenges to fill in the middle a little.

I only need about 2 or 3 ideas to run with.

Its a dreamscape theme where, some PC's are in the dreamscape for real, and the others are in is as mental manifestations (each effecting and being effected by the creatures and environment there differently).

Any ideas?

Arctura42
2010-11-14, 02:24 PM
So does this mean that you can have random encounters occurring OUTSIDE the Dreamscape on some of the character's actual forms, thereby occupying them for some time while the other characters have to protect them in the Dreamscape? Bit of a small encounter - easier for both sides, specialized to the abilities of those sections of the party, definitive roles given, etc, etc. Idk, just a thought I had.

Cowboy_ninja
2010-11-14, 02:37 PM
So does this mean that you can have random encounters occurring OUTSIDE the Dreamscape on some of the character's actual forms, thereby occupying them for some time while the other characters have to protect them in the Dreamscape? Bit of a small encounter - easier for both sides, specialized to the abilities of those sections of the party, definitive roles given, etc, etc. Idk, just a thought I had.

No. Everything will be taking place inside of the dreamscape, although you do bring up an interesting thought. If they can some how learn of a threat to their bodies in the material plane.... but then what can they do about it?...hmm....

Cespenar
2010-11-14, 05:38 PM
There's the classic "fight your inner demons" schtick, and as this is the dreamscape, those inner demons can be actual demons! Just slap some symbolism onto them, for example, a balor can be the manifestation of one of the character's pride, a succubus can be the same for lust, etc.

It doesn't have to be only demons too, of course. Have a bunch of wraiths/shades chase the characters, symbolizing their fear or something like that.

You can also use the characters' backstories to confront them with more personal issues, and if successful, yielding in character development, closure, some nice xp, and perhaps even an individual special power of sorts.