PDA

View Full Version : A question about armor spikes and mithral chain shirts.

realbombchu
2010-11-14, 03:23 PM
Can mithral chain shirts have armor spikes? I'm almost sure they can, but I wanted to check. You see, I've never used armor spikes, and I don't know the rules that well. Can a mithral chain shirt have armor spikes made from a different metal, like adamantine? Does this affect weight, armor check penalty, etc.?

Okay, I guess I had a lot of questions.

hamishspence
2010-11-14, 03:26 PM
as written, spikes can be added to any kind of armour, nothing specifies that the armour must be metal.

They weigh 10 lb, but have no effect on armour check penalty.

So, yes, in theory, you could have mithril armour with adamantine, or cold iron, spikes.

realbombchu
2010-11-14, 03:38 PM
Cool, thanks for the reply. Oils work on armor spikes like a weapon, right?

hamishspence
2010-11-14, 03:43 PM
Think of armor spikes as a weapon- completely separate from the armor they're attached to.

So, you can enchant the armor without enchanting the spikes- and vice versa. You can put the oil on the spikes- and it won't affect the armor. And so on.

realbombchu
2010-11-14, 03:49 PM
Think of armor spikes as a weapon- completely separate from the armor they're attached to.

So, you can enchant the armor without enchanting the spikes- and vice versa. You can put the oil on the spikes- and it won't affect the armor. And so on.

Awesome, thanks.

Darrin
2010-11-15, 01:07 AM
Always get Netcutter Spikes instead (RotW p. 167). +4 circumstance to get out of any entangle (not just nets).

Psyx
2010-11-15, 06:18 AM
If you look at the piccy in the PHB, there's more to a mail shirt than a mail shirt... the spikes must be on the helmet, or something...

Leeham
2010-11-15, 08:11 AM
Or maybe there are lots of needle like spikes either as a part of the rings or welded into the holes.

big teej
2010-11-15, 11:27 AM
Or maybe there are lots of needle like spikes either as a part of the rings or welded into the holes.

wouldn't that make it more like scale armour?:smallconfused:

Greenish
2010-11-15, 02:17 PM
wouldn't that make it more like scale armour?:smallconfused:Obviously not.

It might make it into a needle armour, but who of us hasn't occasionally wished to be able to pass as a pine tree?

big teej
2010-11-15, 07:11 PM
Obviously not.

It might make it into a needle armour, but who of us hasn't occasionally wished to be able to pass as a pine tree?

now, for the record, I have a twisted imagination......

reading this immedietly made me think of Pinhead from Hellraiser... why? I dunno. but thinking of pinhead in this context immedietly shiftend into the idea of a leather suit... with nails sticking out all over it (think the leather bodysuits the cenobytes wear) and..... it'd be really cool :smallcool:

anyways, sorry :smalltongue:

run for your lives! its the christmas tree from hell!

Dr.Epic
2010-11-15, 07:42 PM
In D&D, but how could you even do that in real life? Unless you use plates to cover certain parts, would the spikes fall over? I mean, the spikes would be attached to links and they'd jangle around.

Coidzor
2010-11-15, 08:00 PM
run for your lives! its the christmas tree from hell!

Heh, and here I am getting a mental image of the the Kyton's little sister.