PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Necromancer Ideas for 3.5

Amurion
2010-11-14, 03:45 PM
I am currently building a 7th level cleric necromancer as an alternate character for a game. As of now I am playing a Good Druid, but everyone else is chaotic neutral, so it makes for some frustrating gaming at times. At any rate, my ideas at the moment are Cleric 3/Walker in the Waste 4 and Cleric 6/Bone Knight 1. I would like if possible to change up the Walker in the Waste so it is cold based instead of desert based, but that homebrewing is secondary. Available stats are 18, 18, 16, 16, 14, 14. Flaws are available as well. Character cannot be evil. We also have the option of using UA's magic recharge system if we desire. If anyone has feedback for these ideas or other ideas for a cleric necromancer I am all ears.

Eldariel
2010-11-14, 03:50 PM
You want Master of Shrouds [Libris Mortis]. Definitely. Then pick Practiced Spellcaster for the lost caster level, abuse Rebuke and Animate Dead to your heart's content, summon undead in combat and profffeeeet!

Noedig
2010-11-14, 03:50 PM
Fighter/Cleric/Bone Knight is dirty if you wanna be a melee cleric with the added coolness of leading hordes of undead. Cleric 6/Bone Knight 1 would be good if you wanted to focus primarily on casting.

Psyren
2010-11-14, 03:55 PM
Any deity/domain restrictions?

Deathbound and Undeath (both are in SpC) are the domains of choice for a necrolyte cleric. But wizards still get nice necromancy toys that you don't; that's where the Divine Magician ACF from Complete Mage comes into play. Start as a Cloistered Cleric, then trade your Knowledge Domain in for a free Wizard spell of each level that you get to cast with Wis.

Amurion
2010-11-14, 04:09 PM
I dunno if there any deity restrictions or not. I haven't talked it over with the DM yet. My druid wasn't in too big of a need of knowing, so I didn't inquire. I know he is using his own system for it though. My guess however is that if I present him with a fully made character he isn't going to be as likely to change it up as much as if I made it with him. He is also a pain to get a hold of except for gaming nights.

BenTheJester
2010-11-14, 09:00 PM
Not being able to become evil will most likely be a problem as transforming into a lich automatically switches your alignment to evil(I don't remember if WitW requires you to be evil or not, but it very likely does)

JaronK
2010-11-14, 09:06 PM
Black Sand is your best friend.

JaronK

Amurion
2010-11-14, 09:42 PM
The Dry Lich template however does not change your alignment, the general monster appears to be Nuetral Evil, but the template just says that your alignment is non-good. So that is unlikely to be an issue. We already have two fairly hefty warriors, otherwise Pally2/Cleric 3/Bone Knight 2 would work for a melee build. So far in the game I have been the primary utility caster. Especially since he allows my character to take a fifteen minute prayer break to change out a spell for another, which works really well with UAs Magic Recharge system. I have purposely been staying out of melee to not over power the other PCs, just support casting and Call Lightning to soften things up a little. I'm also going to see if he will allow taint in the game. Then the build could be Cleric 1/WitW 6. I am also looking into the Master of Shrouds idea as well. The only thing is that either changing into a Lich or having some badass armor with undead traits just reeks of fun, even if it is less practical.