PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] 4 man "pseudo-caster" party

Thurbane
2010-11-14, 09:08 PM
Hey all - if you were building a 4 man party of pseudo-casters, how would you do it?

For purposes of this discussion, assume psionics = casting. Classes who's main abilities are (Su) or (Sp) in nature (Binder, Totemist, Warlock, Dragonfire Adept etc.) are what I mean by pseudo casters. Assume low to mid-level builds.

Just interested in what people would come up with.

Cheers - T

Psyren
2010-11-14, 09:12 PM
It's tricky because so many of them can go either way. Incarnate and Binder can play any role for instance. (Arcanist, skillmonkey, party face, tank etc.)

Are fixes allowed for the less powerful classes like Soulborn and Truenamer?

Xefas
2010-11-14, 09:16 PM
Four Incarnates - a Good Incarnate, an Evil Incarnate, a Law Incarnate, and a Chaos Incarnate.

All of them are blackmailed by the Lady of Pain to participate in a Reality Show based around the four of them sharing a single apartment while going to Sigil Prep. This Reality Show (tentative name: Opposites Detract) will then be broadcast to the entirety of the City of Doors.

Hilarity ensues.

Gametime
2010-11-14, 09:25 PM
I'd probably go with Binder, Incarnate, Totemist, and Warlock. The Binder and Incarnate can alternate between skill duties and combat. The Totemist is always a solid fighter. The Warlock is there to provide some ranged support, a bit of utility, and (mostly) UMD and crafting. (I can't remember if Binders get a vestige that allows them to craft things - if they do, then the Warlock might be replaced by something else, though I'm not sure what. Dragonfire Adept, maybe?)

true_shinken
2010-11-14, 09:26 PM
Binder, Factotum, Warlock and Swordsage sounds funny.

Psyren
2010-11-14, 09:29 PM
While I wait for my question, I guess I'd go with Binder, Factotum, DFA, Incarnate. That should cover all the necessary roles.

If fixes are allowed, I would swap Incarnate for Kyeudo's Truenamer of course.

Thurbane
2010-11-14, 09:29 PM
Are fixes allowed for the less powerful classes like Soulborn and Truenamer?
For purposes of this thought excercise, I'd say RAW applies...

true_shinken
2010-11-14, 09:32 PM
It's a shame Soulborn is so meh. It's the only full BAB supernatural class (because Hexblade, Duskblade, Ranger and Paladin are casters).

Amphetryon
Warlock, Binder, Totemist, Dragon Shaman.

Warlock is the one who deals with traps and locks, due to unlimited shatter, is the primary blaster/arcanist, and the backup face.

Binder grabs Fochalor then Tenebrous ASAP and covers the debuff role, as well as handling undead. Other vestiges can be selected as needed, or to augment this role.

Totemist is the party's damage dealer and damage sponge, with Landshark Boots, Rage Claws, and a Wormtail Belt.

Dragon Shaman handles the party face role and deals with healing via the fast healing aura. Warlock's ability to UMD backs up this role.

Psyren
For purposes of this thought excercise, I'd say RAW applies...

In that case I stick with my first group (Binder Factotum DFA Incarnate.)

Kylarra
2010-11-14, 09:33 PM
I'd probably go DFA, Binder, Totemist and uhh ToB class of choice.

Psyren
2010-11-14, 09:35 PM
I'd probably go DFA, Binder, Totemist and uhh ToB class of choice.

I think Swordsage is the only one that gets (Su) abilities if the OP is strict.

true_shinken
2010-11-14, 09:35 PM
I think Swordsage is the only one that gets (Su) abilities if the OP is strict.
Crusader gets a few Su abilities as well.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-14, 09:46 PM
Shadowcaster. Its a fullcaster that looks like a psuedo-caster.

Psyren
2010-11-14, 09:47 PM
Crusader gets a few Su abilities as well.

Ah, my bad.

Shadowcaster. Its a fullcaster that looks like a psuedo-caster.

Wouldn't it get more pseudo-caster and less full-caster as it gains levels, if we use Thurbane's definition? :smalltongue:

Tvtyrant
2010-11-14, 09:49 PM
That was my whole point. If you concentrate on initiates you get 30 SL's a day and 21 Supernaturals. No spells at all :D

Kylarra
2010-11-14, 10:10 PM
I think Swordsage is the only one that gets (Su) abilities if the OP is strict.Let's pretend I went with swordsage then.

WinceRind
2010-11-15, 12:00 AM
Warlock, Binder, Totemist, Dragon Shaman.

Warlock is the one who deals with traps and locks, due to unlimited shatter, is the primary blaster/arcanist, and the backup face.

Binder grabs Fochalor then Tenebrous ASAP and covers the debuff role, as well as handling undead. Other vestiges can be selected as needed, or to augment this role.

Totemist is the party's damage dealer and damage sponge, with Landshark Boots, Rage Claws, and a Wormtail Belt.

Dragon Shaman handles the party face role and deals with healing via the fast healing aura. Warlock's ability to UMD backs up this role.

This sounds like a pretty steady plan but you gotta keep in mind that Dragon Shaman's Vigour aura (the healing one) only works on those with less then 50% health, and when it heals someone to that amount it stops.