PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Pick Out 30 Useful Scrolls of 1st/2nd Level

balistafreak
2010-11-14, 11:23 PM
So for my latest character, due to the ruling of "nothing is a cross-class skill", synergy bonus pumping, and a sizeable character level, I've managed to scrape together a UMD score high enough to use 1st/2nd level scrolls without chance of failure, even if I lack the appropriate ability score. (Which I do, in the case of Wisdom.)

The character is ECL 7, an Incarnate6/Warblade1 (for the two Diamond Mind save-counters, and the can-opener of Mountain Hammer).

I've purchased an Infinite Scrollcase, and have enough cash left for 20 1st level and 10 2nd level scrolls.

Sources are Core, PHB II, Completes (minus Champion :smallfrown:), Spell Compendium, and most interestingly Psionics (the base Psionics book and the Complete, I'd presume).

My problem is, I'm having trouble picking out an arsenal. Most every spell out there is CL reliant, and picking out the gems that aren't is... tiring. I'd prefer to have ZERO repeats in the 2nd level scrolls, and a max of 2x in the 1st level ones. Also note that psionic powers are fair game for these scrolls too, which I find highly intriguing.

I've come up with a few - two of the massive Entangle, for example, and one of the Wizard's Web. Two of Benign Transposition. Soon though, I start to run out of ideas. Any thoughts or help out here?

Flickerdart
2010-11-14, 11:31 PM
Knock is a pretty useful spell if you don't have a Rogue around. Protection from evil will hedge out mind control for a couple of minutes, you never know when that'll be important.

true_shinken
2010-11-14, 11:32 PM
Knight's Move, Rhino Rush, Hunter's Mercy and Hustle seem like good choices.
Too bad you can't use 3rd level ones - Blade Storm is awesome.

SilentNight
2010-11-14, 11:34 PM
Psionic lion's charge is nice if you're doing combat, shield is useful if you don't use one already. Let's see, rope trick and grease are good for situational stuff. Divine grace maybe for a quick plus one. That's all that comes to mind right now.

balistafreak
2010-11-15, 06:34 AM
Knock as maybe a one-of. It's probably not worth two. Grease seems unimpressive without a CL to back it up, and Rope Trick doesn't last long enough.

I'm aware of the combat-worthy spells/powers, but what are some more utility-focused ones?

olelia
2010-11-15, 06:51 AM
Grease is good because its "gems" can some times be overlooked.

A creature can walk within or through the area of grease at half normal speed with a DC 10 Balance check. Failure means it can’t move that round (and must then make a Reflex save or fall), while failure by 5 or more means it falls (see the Balance skill for details).

And then if we follow it into the balance skill...

Being Attacked while Balancing

You are considered flat-footed while balancing, since you can’t move to avoid a blow, and thus you lose your Dexterity bonus to AC (if any). If you have 5 or more ranks in Balance, you aren’t considered flat-footed while balancing. If you take damage while balancing, you must make another Balance check against the same DC to remain standing.

So the "gem" of the spell is the fact that some of the best components are based on a skill check of balance which generally most monsters you fight do not have it.

Flickerdart
2010-11-15, 07:23 AM
Grease is good because its "gems" can some times be overlooked.

And then if we follow it into the balance skill...

So the "gem" of the spell is the fact that some of the best components are based on a skill check of balance which generally most monsters you fight do not have it.
The problem with all that is at CL1, Grease only lasts for one round, which is in no way worth it.

The Big Dice
2010-11-15, 03:47 PM
Or they just stand still. Grease is only a problem if you try and move through it. Standing there shooting arrows is no problem, and forces melee types on the other side to come to you. With all the problems that causes.

balistafreak
2010-11-16, 12:00 AM
Tentative list up:

20 1st Level Scrolls
3x Delay Disease (SpC)
3x Entangle (PHB)
3x Benign Transposition (SpC)
2x Cloudburst
2x Entangling Ectoplasm (SpC)
2x Resurgence (SpC)
1x Unseen Servant (PHB)
1x Know Direction and Location (XPH)
1x Aura Against Flame (SpC)
1x Feather Fall (PHB)
1x Sign (SpC)

10 2nd Level Scrolls
1x Web (PHB)
1x Fog Cloud (PHB)
1x Spiderclimb (PHB)
1x Whispering Wind (PHB)
1x Gentle Repose (PHB)
1x Lesser Restoration (PHB)
1x Camouflage, Mass (SpC)
1x Master Air (SpC)
1x Dark Way (SpC)
1x Knock (PHB)

I'm quite aware there are lots of "suboptimal" choices there. Suggest "better" ones - but keep in mind I reaaaaaaaally don't want to spam lots of the same scroll. Having a wide, hilarious repertoire is half the fun here. :smallwink:

arguskos
2010-11-16, 12:07 AM
Nerveskitter comes to mind as noteworthy. Due to the rules in Rules Compendium that clarify using spell-completion items (wands/scrolls/potions) as the action of the spell in question, Nerveskitter is an immediate action to use, provided you're already holding it (that's a trick, but hey, it can work).

balistafreak
2010-11-16, 06:39 AM
Nerveskitter would be helpful, if you knew a combat was coming. But you can't exactly walk around with a scroll of necroskitter in your hand, eh?

(I mean, you could, but the DM's basically guaranteed to shoot you a funny look.)

Sign serves much the same purpose, but it's a 10-minute long duration spell, to be cast beforehand. Yes, the two stack (:smalltongue:) but that'd be pushing it. A lot.

dextercorvia
2010-11-16, 01:39 PM
[necroskitter

I know it's just a slip, but I can't be the only one thinking Necroskitter sounds like an awesome spell.

I like Dark Way, Swift Fly, and Whirling Blade.

balistafreak
2010-11-16, 03:02 PM
I know it's just a slip, but I can't be the only one thinking Necroskitter sounds like an awesome spell.

Oops. :smallredface:

To be fair, Necroskitter is also a card from MtG. (http://magiccards.info/eve/en/38.html) :smallcool:

arguskos
2010-11-16, 03:15 PM

I like Dark Way, Swift Fly, and Whirling Blade.
Swift Fly has the same issue as Nerveskitter really, gotta have it out. And frankly, if you've got any scroll on hand, it should be the far superior Nerveskitter.

Whirling Blade is a damn fine spell though, and one I'm sad I didn't think of.

Also, Sign has issues. Mostly that it is non-optional as to when it triggers, which can be an issue. It triggers on your next combat, which can provide issues. I personally don't like it nearly as much as Nerveskitter, which I really recommend. Perhaps petition your DM to let Quick Draw get scrolls too?

dextercorvia
2010-11-16, 04:24 PM
Swift Fly has the same issue as Nerveskitter really, gotta have it out. And frankly, if you've got any scroll on hand, it should be the far superior Nerveskitter.

Whirling Blade is a damn fine spell though, and one I'm sad I didn't think of.

Also, Sign has issues. Mostly that it is non-optional as to when it triggers, which can be an issue. It triggers on your next combat, which can provide issues. I personally don't like it nearly as much as Nerveskitter, which I really recommend. Perhaps petition your DM to let Quick Draw get scrolls too?

I like Swift Fly not for the swift part, but for the Fly part as a second level spell. I was thinking utility rather than combat. I agree about the Nerveskitter vs. Sign too. I think that it would be worth the funny looks to carry around the scroll of Nerveskitter.