PDA

View Full Version : sneak attack and multiple attacks per round

Moginheden
2010-11-15, 01:03 AM
I'm involved in 2 different campaigns with dual wielding level 8 rogues, (BAB of +6) in them. A total of 4 attacks per round, (2 from each weapon.)

In one, the entire group, (except me) think that a rogue's sneak attack can only be used once per round. So the rogue with no str modifier wielding daggers gets 4 attack rolls and if they all hit and don't crit it's a total of 4d4+4d6 damage.

In the other group, no one ever questioned it when my rogue, (also with no str modifier using daggers) who hit all 4 times and didn't crit does 1d4+4d6+1d4+4d6+1d4+4d6+1d4+4d6 or a total of 4d4+16d6 damage.

Both groups are having fun so they have been house ruled as such but by raw who is right?

Mongoose87
2010-11-15, 01:06 AM
RAW, sneak attack applies to any and all attacks that qualify for it, regardless of it it's been used this round.

Psyren
2010-11-15, 01:07 AM
It applies to all attacks in the round (so long as the target remains valid - flanked/denied Dex bonus - for each one.)

Defiant
2010-11-15, 01:09 AM
If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target.

Unless your target has all-of-a-sudden got back its Dexterity bonus to AC (or moved out of flanking) in between your attacks, then they should all score sneak attack damage.

Psyren
2010-11-15, 01:15 AM
Unless your target has all-of-a-sudden got back its Dexterity bonus to AC (or moved out of flanking) in between your attacks, then they should all score sneak attack damage.

It's not impossible: Contingency Teleport ("when I am hit") would do it :smalltongue:

Moginheden
2010-11-15, 01:16 AM
It's not impossible: Contingency Teleport ("when I am hit") would do it :smalltongue:
Then the other attacks wouldn't hit at all.

A sleep spell might do it though, (the first hit woke them up giving them back their dex.)

Thanks for the confirm though, I thought I had it right, oh well.

Psyren
2010-11-15, 01:18 AM
Then the other attacks wouldn't hit at all.

Exactly. No sneak attack!

A sleep spell might do it though, (the first hit woke them up giving them back their dex.)

No, they would still be flat-footed until the beginning of their turn.

Mongoose87
2010-11-15, 01:20 AM
No, they would still be flat-footed until the beginning of their turn.

Why? Prone=/= flat-footed.

Defiant
2010-11-15, 01:21 AM

At the start of a battle, before you have had a chance to act (specifically, before your first regular turn in the initiative order), you are flat-footed. You can’t use your Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) while flat-footed. Barbarians and rogues have the uncanny dodge extraordinary ability, which allows them to avoid losing their Dexterity bonus to AC due to being flat-footed.

That's why.

MyLifeMyMusical
2010-11-15, 01:23 AM

Or if they were initially denied their Dex because the attacker was invisible for the first attack.

Psyren
2010-11-15, 01:24 AM

Surprised = flat-footed

Psyrogue'd

Or if they were initially denied their Dex because the attacker was invisible for the first attack.

If they were flat-footed by the first hit they'll stay that way for the rest.

Psyren
2010-11-15, 01:25 AM
Ah, but if you just woke up a strong enough barbarian with your first dagger, that second dagger won't be sneaking him.

Strength has nothing to do with it, it's just how initiative works.

(Don't blame me, it's not my system...)

EDIT: haha, lightning deletion! :smalltongue:

Kantolin
2010-11-15, 01:26 AM
Invisibility on the rogue would do that (normal invisibility, that is, not the greater variety).

Moginheden
2010-11-15, 01:26 AM
Strength has nothing to do with it, it's just how initiative works.

(Don't blame me, it's not my system...)

was thinking the barb had uncanny dodge.

edit: (strength in levels, not in str stat)

Diarmuid
2010-11-15, 01:48 AM
Invisibility on the rogue would do that (normal invisibility, that is, not the greater variety).

This is probably what they are thinking of, Invis or hiding. After your first attack you would no longer qualify for Sneak Attack, but if you're flanking...it's game on, ginsu-time!

Killer Angel
2010-11-15, 05:22 AM

I love Ring of blinking...

hydraa
2010-11-15, 07:58 AM
Where some confusion may come is on multiple attacks, such as from many shot or spells with multiple rays where ony the first is granted the precision damage. the dagger attacks (especially as a full round action) should get it on each. (RC 42)